Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

Would you give up you anal virginity if meant getting some cybernetic enhancements?

im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Look what that slick shit bought ya
A first class ticket to Lucifer, real name Christopher

etalian posted:

Would you give up you anal virginity if meant getting some cybernetic enhancements?

Obviously it would depend on the enhancements.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

etalian posted:

No, but I would def crew with a rasta spaceship for minimum wage.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Cold and Ugly posted:

Obviously it would depend on the enhancements.

A buttjack.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

if cool, absolutely

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Well, that doesn't sound like a job that's worth the money.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

No, but I would def crew with a rasta spaceship for minimum wage.

Definitely too unchill. Sorry bro.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

lexan posted:

I liked it a lot, it's probably my favorite Gibson book. Better than any of his sci-fi stuff (although I did like Neuromancer more than the rest of this thread did so maybe I'm wrong).

I missed this. But Pattern Recognition is the first book in the trilogy with that lady named Cayce in advertising, right? Actually, I think she might not have been in the whole trilogy, I want to say that the big boss, Bigend, was the only recurring character. But those books were pretty cool, too.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Cold and Ugly posted:

Nice edit, man. But I think that's sort of a harsh idea to have about a black guy running around with samurai swords.

i took me most of the book to get a decent feel for what hiro looked like. its like i i found it much easier to identify with the protagonist in snow crash than in neuromancer, but i still had to fill in the blanks.

here's a good fan rendition from devart:

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Cold and Ugly posted:

I don't know man. It was like two paragraphs long and almost totally irrelevant. Kind of weird that it would make it into your two sentence synopsis.

well would it be "weird" if I told you I was cranking it to those two paragraphs right now?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least we already sort of live in a cyberpunk world with things like as huge powerful multi-national corporations and the environment being sent in a death spiral.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
the hobby lobby decision could be woven into some fun cyber punk

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

etalian posted:

At least we already sort of live in a cyberpunk world with things like as huge powerful multi-national corporations and the environment being sent in a death spiral.

thats why communism owns fyi, anything other than advocating for the complete destruction of this hosed apocalyptic cyperpunk dystopian system is nihilism

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Izumi Konata posted:

i took me most of the book to get a decent feel for what hiro looked like. its like i i found it much easier to identify with the protagonist in snow crash than in neuromancer, but i still had to fill in the blanks.

That's a pretty cool picture. I think though that I would have imagined him with softer features, to account for like the, to paraphrase "me and my boys were wondering if you were you a sneaky rear end gook or a watermelon eating friend of the family" part of the story. And more buff and with less flashy clothes because he lives in a storage unit and practices kendo with a piece of rebar with a chunk of concrete on it. It's been a while, isn't there a part where YT describes sort of what he looks like?

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Bread Dragon posted:

well would it be "weird" if I told you I was cranking it to those two paragraphs right now?

Not really, no. That's sort of what I was getting at.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

etalian posted:

That's what i'm saying, man. They got the broad strokes right.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

a starwar betamax posted:

ya the book was very chill especially the part where it was incomprehensible garbage

I think, I can speak for the whole thread when I say,

"You didn't 'get' it"

Plebs.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you only get like forty pages into neuromancer before the main dude can't enjoy his drugs anymore. not chill at all.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Izumi Konata posted:

Also, i'm almost certain that's a photo from the new Shadowrun games.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Cold and Ugly posted:

Also, i'm almost certain that's a photo from the new Shadowrun games.

A drawing, I mean.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Space Rasta, mon.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
My fav part of the book is when the Sentient AI begins to speak to Case, but using the stored memory fragments of people he used to know. I can't put my finger on what metaphysical idea that was trying to analogize. I guess when you're not with your friends but you're accessing your memories of their personalities.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

redshirt posted:

Space Rasta, mon.

what happens if weed smoke escapes to space?

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

BKPR posted:

you only get like forty pages into neuromancer before the main dude can't enjoy his drugs anymore. not chill at all.

Actually, yeah... the whole book isn't really chill at all. I don't know, though. Maybe if you were a teen or adult reading it in the 80's.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
SO you guys know when you listen to rap songs and the rappers are all "yo, I'm all iced out"

do you think they mean that they have been cybernetically enhanced with Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics? like ICE? get it? no??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

etalian posted:

what happens if weed smoke escapes to space?

Your deck gets fried mon.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

killaer posted:

SO you guys know when you listen to rap songs and the rappers are all "yo, I'm all iced out"

do you think they mean that they have been cybernetically enhanced with Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics? like ICE? get it? no??

No. I think they're actually talking about jewelry and precious stones and stuff like that. Pretty vulgar, if you ask me.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

Cold and Ugly posted:

No. I think they're actually talking about jewelry and precious stones and stuff like that. Pretty vulgar, if you ask me.

Of course, but peep the deeper meaning god, it seems like these jeweles and precious stones have a social value in our society. To me the entire book, at least the cyberspace aspect of it, was like case maneuvering through the "social norms" present around him. There are basically rules that you have to follow and if you break them you trip up over ICE. Which sets off alarms and lets people know you're trying to do something you're not supposed to do. But this 'phat diamond chain' that the rapperman wears is like his own ICE, a symbol of status that establishes a sort of defense for himself as a social symbol.

I mean you could take it in a more literal way, like when he's hacking through ICE it's him hacking through Bank of America or whatever and actually doing computer code poo poo. But I like the more metaphorical aspect of cyberspace, as if it is a mental 'idea landscape' that you can maneuver through. Dunno if this makes any sense

No lamer is going to mess with you if you're wearing a phat gold diamond chain because you look so cool so you have effectively ICEd the average biter's attacks, but you establish yourself as a hostile target for robbers or 'hostile hackers' or 'space cowboys' or 'criminals' or whatever to burn you and rob you.

killaer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 19, 2014

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

killaer posted:

Of course, but peep the deeper meaning god, it seems like these jeweles and precious stones have a social value in our society. To me the entire book, at least the cyberspace aspect of it, was like case maneuvering through the "social norms" present around him. There are basically rules that you have to follow and if you break them you trip up over ICE. Which sets off alarms and lets people know you're trying to do something you're not supposed to do. But this 'phat diamond chain' that the rapperman wears is like his own ICE, a symbol of status that establishes a sort of defense for himself as a social symbol.

I mean you could take it in a more literal way, like when he's hacking through ICE it's him hacking through Bank of America or whatever and actually doing computer code poo poo. But I like the more metaphorical aspect of cyberspace, as if it is a mental 'idea landscape' that you can maneuver through. Dunno if this makes any sense

No lamer is going to mess with you if you're wearing a phat gold diamond chain because you look so cool so you have effectively ICEd the average biter's attacks, but you establish yourself as a hostile target for robbers or 'hostile hackers' or 'space cowboys' or 'criminals' or whatever to burn you and rob you.

You better have quoted that from somewhere ,otherwise Lol.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

killaer posted:

Nah, none of that makes sense. If there were any rappers in the world in the early 80's that they'd heard of in Canada they were wearing giant clocks or garishly colored jeans. That's entirely a product of your own stupid lame imagination.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cold and Ugly posted:

That's a pretty cool picture. I think though that I would have imagined him with softer features, to account for like the, to paraphrase "me and my boys were wondering if you were you a sneaky rear end gook or a watermelon eating friend of the family" part of the story. And more buff and with less flashy clothes because he lives in a storage unit and practices kendo with a piece of rebar with a chunk of concrete on it. It's been a while, isn't there a part where YT describes sort of what he looks like?

it doesnt have concrete on it

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

it doesnt have concrete on it

t-t-trap?!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

dude you goonna get shot lol

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i liked how dub music was playing everywhere all the time on the rasta colony.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Frostwerks posted:

t-t-trap?!

Dunno. I remember it having a chunk of concrete on the end, but whatevs. That poo poo would be heavy anyway.

Cold and Ugly
Jun 1, 2006

Cold and Ugly posted:

Dunno. I remember it having a chunk of concrete on the end, but whatevs. That poo poo would be heavy anyway.

Oh wait no, I get it. No, man. I'm being completely genuine in my appreciation for Snow Crash. Really enjoyed that poo poo. Don't really care what Effectronica or those other fags think, it was a fun book. And I don't think the fact that I enjoyed cool poo poo like Raven the ultimate badass or kindly uncle Ezio the mob boss or The Deliverator bits make me a bad reader or person in general.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Yivgev posted:

actually, Neuromancer and Snow Crash are both good :greencube:

I read them both a long time ago, and the only thing I can remember was that there was a pizza delivery guy in one of them. I remember enjoying them both, at least.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snow Crash was fun and cool and gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

• Locked thread