Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I think I liked Count Zero more than Neuromancer, thinking about it. The AI that did found art and the curator working for Mr.Freeze's husband were just more interesting characters. I got a few chapters into Mona Lisa Overdrive and just kind of stopped caring. Never finished it.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 22, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hobohemian posted:

I think I liked Count Zero more than Neuromancer, thinking about it. The AI that did found art and the curator working for Mr.Freeze's husband were just more interesting characters. I got a few chapters into Mona Lisa Overdrive and just kind of stopped caring. Never finished it.

Count Zero is a story that takes place in the same setting as Neuromancer but doesn't romanticize the action as much. It is more subdued and less "look at this awesome cyberpunk idea" and just accepts ideas introduced and fawned over in the previous book as elements of reality. I think that I like Count Zero better than Neuromancer, but I also don't think that that Count Zero would be as good in a vacuum. Having Neuromancer as a stepping off point really helps it, I think.

I am really looking forward to Mona Lisa Overdrive, but that's just kind of how I feel about every Gibson work I haven't read yet...

also, you realize that the "AI that did found art" is a remnant of Wintermute, from Neuromancer, right?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Snak posted:

also, you realize that the "AI that did found art" is a remnant of Wintermute, from Neuromancer, right?

Yeah, that's kind of the only reason all three books are considered a trilogy, not really a spoiler.

• Locked thread