Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Hey you :gerty:

Yeah you :bigtran:

Do you love fantasy football? Do you think that D/ST are dumb and when you sign up for a league that has them instead of IDP, do you get mad? :sotw:

Do you think that IDP should be default for all leagues? :colbert:

You do? :smuggo:

Okay, so here's a crazy thought. What about a league that only uses defensive players? :spergin:

Crazy right? :stonk:

I know, that's exactly why we should loving do it. :madmax:

Roster Positions: D, D, LB, LB, LB, LB, DT, DT, DE, DE, CB, CB, S, S, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 3.5
Interception: 5
Fumble Force: 3.5
Fumble Recovery: 3.5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Safety: 4
Pass Defended: 3
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 2

Sign-up link: https://yho.com/nfl?l=1021752&k=2d6db34d47aac9fe

I have the draft tentatively set for 8/31 at 9 PM.

:getin:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your use of smilies is repulsive. I will join your league just so I can crush you or much more likely, lose spectacularly.

First I have to get Yahoo to remember who I am but I'll sign up in a bit.

9PM EST?

e. oh yeah also, what about the rest of special teams stuff? punters/kickers/kick returners?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This is dumb. I like it.

I'm in

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
uuuuuuuhhhhhh okay.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I have never done IDP before, so what better way to learn?! :getin:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I opened this up to a few of my non-internet real people friends for numbers but I doubt it'll be more than 5 or 6 because I don't actually have real life friends

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
What is this "IDP" thing you speak of

(I'm in, will register when I get back to my desk)

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Put me on the wait list for now. This would put me up to 8 leagues so I need to really think about it, heh.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

old dog child posted:

Put me on the wait list for now. This would put me up to 8 leagues so I need to really think about it, heh.

This is #7 for me, I was only planning on doing 5 v:shobon:v

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Signed up. I love that this league is deep enough to make actual decisions past the top few players. I've enjoyed my IDP league for the past few years, but with just a few players in use it's not even worth rostering bench players for it.

I don't suppose there's any chance people would want to make this a money league? Even if just some of us wanted to we could base it off of end of season rankings between us. $20-$50 would be a good range to keep it interesting I think.

Regarding league settings. I tend to like deeper benches (7-10?) and an IR spot. It may be by design, but it feels like sacks are undervalued compared to other spots. Around 2.5-3.5 would be closer to usual. Interceptions should probably be higher as well. For a safety and sack you're often going to also get credit for the tackle and tackle for loss. I haven't played with interceptions in IDP before, but I would guess the player does not also get a tackle credit. Current settings would give a sack a total of 4.5 and a safety a total of 6.5 while an interception is only 3.5. Perhaps making it 5.5 would feel right. More valuable to the team than a sack, but less than a safety.

I've never used Yahoo before, but I very likely cannot make the draft time and will need to use Yahoo's autodraft settings. I see I can put in a pre-draft ranking list. Can I also put in a positional limits? Let's say I want to put in that I want 5-7 LBs and 2-3 DEs, etc. Is that possible?

Edit: For anyone else that may possibly autodraft - do yourself a huge favor and rank the players. I just looked and the predraft rankings are horrendously bad. Their #1 LB is less than half the value of the #2 LB in any metric you use.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 19, 2014

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aredna posted:

Signed up. I love that this league is deep enough to make actual decisions past the top few players. I've enjoyed my IDP league for the past few years, but with just a few players in use it's not even worth rostering bench players for it.

I don't suppose there's any chance people would want to make this a money league? Even if just some of us wanted to we could base it off of end of season rankings between us. $20-$50 would be a good range to keep it interesting I think.

Regarding league settings. I tend to like deeper benches (7-10?) and an IR spot. It may be by design, but it feels like sacks are undervalued compared to other spots. Around 2.5-3.5 would be closer to usual. Interceptions should probably be higher as well. For a safety and sack you're often going to also get credit for the tackle and tackle for loss. I haven't played with interceptions in IDP before, but I would guess the player does not also get a tackle credit. Current settings would give a sack a total of 4.5 and a safety a total of 6.5 while an interception is only 3.5. Perhaps making it 5.5 would feel right. More valuable to the team than a sack, but less than a safety.

I've never used Yahoo before, but I very likely cannot make the draft time and will need to use Yahoo's autodraft settings. I see I can put in a pre-draft ranking list. Can I also put in a positional limits? Let's say I want to put in that I want 5-7 LBs and 2-3 DEs, etc. Is that possible?

hahahaha, there is no loving way I am putting money on this

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

timp posted:

hahahaha, there is no loving way I am putting money on this

I figured most people wouldn't due to the huge disparity in IDP experience, but maybe a handful would be interested in doing it on the side for the season and/or side bets when we play each other.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Aredna posted:

In theory I'd agree with you, but upon looking at the player list after first setting them, they seem to be as pretty well balanced as they can be. Anything I change is just going to make the top guys that much more overvalued. 21 of the top 25 are LBs, Watt is the only DL and he's 80 points off of David for the most points. If I make anything worth more points, it's just going to widen the gap.

e: maybe I might make PDs worth a little more because that's mainly a DB (and even more a CB) stat and that would bolster that group without changing much across the board

And yes, if you can't make the draft, definitely edit your pre-draft rankings because yahoo's are god awful.

There's 5 bench spots and 5 starting positions. I figured that, coupled with the two flex spots, should be enough to make everyone's roster manageable while still promoting some sort of roster movement. If I make the bench any bigger, I'm afraid it's just going to be drafting your roster and then seeing what happens. It'd be nice if bye weeks at least play somewhat of a role.

e2: I just made FFum and FRec 2.5 each instead of 2, PDs 2 instead of 1.5, and INTs 4 instead of 3.5. Makes DBs worth a bit more but not crazy.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 19, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Obama Yo Mama posted:

In theory I'd agree with you, but upon looking at the player list after first setting them, they seem to be as pretty well balanced as they can be. Anything I change is just going to make the top guys that much more overvalued. 21 of the top 25 are LBs, Watt is the only DL and he's 80 points off of David for the most points. If I make anything worth more points, it's just going to widen the gap.

e: maybe I might make PDs worth a little more because that's mainly a DB (and even more a CB) stat and that would bolster that group without changing much across the board

And yes, if you can't make the draft, definitely edit your pre-draft rankings because yahoo's are god awful.

There's 5 bench spots and 5 starting positions. I figured that, coupled with the two flex spots, should be enough to make everyone's roster managble while still promoting some sort of roster movement. If I make the bench any bigger, I'm afraid it's just going to be drafting your roster and then seeing what happens. It'd be nice if bye weeks at least play somewhat of a role.

That's true about LBs in every IDP I think. I'm going to drop the scoring settings in some spreadsheets and play around with VBD later. I'll play around with it and let you know how it looks. I was mostly going off of scoring experience, but the deep guys may change that a bit since I'm used to at worst looking at around the 30th ranked LBs and top 15 in other positions.

As I think about it more, shallow benches may be better for IDP. In my main league we have 9 bench spots + IR in 12 team and still had 376 successful waiver moves last year. I don't even want to count how many failed from low FAAB bids. But many of those are players coming from out of nowhere or people preemptively thinking that players may take off. I can't see that happening quite as much in IDP as it does for offensive slots so the shallow benches should be nice.

Basically, deep benches change the game from bye week strategy to a longer outlook on up and coming players that could add late season value.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah stud LBs are always going to run the show, but I'd rather the gap be 260-180 than 350-225.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bring it, I'm always down for a weird league.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Have you considered making forced fumbles worth a bit more, just to give DLs more value?

Also yeah, can't say I'm for making this a paid league. I just can't involve money in the things I like or else it spoils my appreciation for it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Moriarty posted:

Have you considered making forced fumbles worth a bit more, just to give DLs more value?

Also yeah, can't say I'm for making this a paid league. I just can't involve money in the things I like or else it spoils my appreciation for it.

I am the opposite of that and feel that putting some money up can make it more fun/interesting, but there has to be some sort of illusion that maybe, just maybe, I could win.

An IDP league with a bunch of goons and Mr. Rain Man up there does not give me that illusion.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Yeah stud LBs are always going to run the show, but I'd rather the gap be 260-180 than 350-225.

After playing with the numbers, the only ones that really make a big difference are tackles. Actually dropping that back to 1/0.5 instead of 1.5/0.75 will bring LBs closer in line to the other positions and smooth out the CB curve a bit. If you want to narrow the gap even more you could raise Pass Def on up to 3, but that just doesn't feel right.

The flex positions look to be filled by LBs 100% of the time still for optimal strategy so it may be worth dropping them entirely. If you wanted to keep the same number of total players, based on the curves you could add 1 LB and 1 CB.

A lot of how deep we can go will depend on how many people sign up.

Edit: After doing getting the file set up to do the calculations, at current settings Flex starts to become interesting at 14 teams where some CB are a better choice than LB. By 20 teams you'll have 20 CB and 20 LB in use at the flex spots.

Tackles at 1 vs 1.5 doesn't really change anything in Flex. Interestingly enough, setting tackles to 0 you would still start 5 LB in flex in a 12man league and 12 in a 20man league. LBs are just that good and that deep.

timp posted:

I am the opposite of that and feel that putting some money up can make it more fun/interesting, but there has to be some sort of illusion that maybe, just maybe, I could win.

An IDP league with a bunch of goons and Mr. Rain Man up there does not give me that illusion.

If I can make the draft time I'll be happy to share anything I use/create. If I can't though I'm sure the autodraft is going to make things hard for me and I'll need every advantage I can get.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 19, 2014

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Joined as the Dunwich Horrors. Time to draft DWash at the 1.1!

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
This is my first year doing IDP so what the hell, in for a penny...

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'll probably join but I need to go review my draft schedules and such, make sure I can fit another in

:negative:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I got my yahoo thing set up (jesus christ the restrictions on various data fields are stupid) so Leperfish's Immovable Objects are all signed up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Azhais posted:

I'll probably join but I need to go review my draft schedules and such, make sure I can fit another in

:negative:

OK, I'm in. I've got another draft at 4PM on the 31st but that should be done before this one (or at least close enough I can let it autodraft a kicker and defense).

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Azhais posted:

OK, I'm in. I've got another draft at 4PM on the 31st but that should be done before this one (or at least close enough I can let it autodraft a kicker and defense).

Yaaaay

Just remember, you're not ever allowed to have a team on equal footing as mine, ever :colbert:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Sure, why the gently caress not. As long as it's free, count me in.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
This was linked in the main Fantasy Thread: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/04/10/fantasy-house-rules-the-quest-for-an-idp-scoring-system-the-findings/

I played with it in my spreadsheet using Yahoo's projections and it's not really any change over what we are doing now. At 12 teams you get 1 DE used in flex over an LB. At 20 you get end up with 24/6/10 LB/DE/CB vs. 20/0/20 with what we have now.

One upside would be that anyone can also use their site for IDP research as well which could be useful for a lot of people. e: ignore that, looks like most of their articles are behind a paywall

A downside to their system is that you will have more variance from week to week due to more reliance on big plays for points.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 20, 2014

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Crap. Just realized I'll be at the beach the same evening as the draft. Sorry but I'll have to withdrawal from this league... there's no way I'd trust Yahoo to autodraft IDPs. I WOULD end up with DWash in the 1st, I'm sure.

Couldn't find a "leave league" link on Yahoo, so please give my team the boot OYM. Thanks anyhow.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

We've got 10 teams which is enough to draft, but I'd totally love to have 12 or 14, if for no other reason than that I'd be able to have a 6 or 8 team playoff without feeling like it's too cheap

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is there some way to show, like, how many points a veteran defensive player earned in previous years, based on our scoring?

Also when I click on a defensive player in yahoo it just has notes from the year they were drafted which is pretty poo poo. Are there profiles somewhere else that have evaluations of their prospects for 2014?

I normally use ESPN for my main league (and it also has lovely info for IDP).

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

You can sort all of the players by last year's points scored on Yahoo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is that what the "Fan Points" column is showing? And it's based on our league's scoring, not some general/default setting? (Why doesn't Yahoo have a help button or something to explain exactly what each column is, ugh)

So, Carlos Dansby was the highest-point earning defensive player last year, but only 74% ownership?

What are "rankings" since the lowest number is 220 (actual) (for Sheldon Richardson)?

I'm looking at this page if that helps.

Thanks for your help

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery
I made it 11. Very jealous that my goon idp league has fallen off. BRING IT.

Leperflesh posted:

Is that what the "Fan Points" column is showing? And it's based on our league's scoring, not some general/default setting? (Why doesn't Yahoo have a help button or something to explain exactly what each column is, ugh)

So, Carlos Dansby was the highest-point earning defensive player last year, but only 74% ownership?

What are "rankings" since the lowest number is 220 (actual) (for Sheldon Richardson)?

I'm looking at this page if that helps.

Thanks for your help

Yes the points are based on the league settings. Ownership % will always looks like that cause most leagues with IDP only have like 1 player and less than 10 teams. Rankings are effectively meaningless.

The Rising Suun fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 21, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Points are based on this years projections using our league settings. I'll put up a file that's easier to use and read with all of the player data when I'm not on my phone in a bit.

% ownership can never be used for IDP leagues because every IDP league starts different positions, numbers of players, and scoring settings. On top of that people are bad at IDP. People in my main league with IDP have drafted the #40 ranked player when only 12 will start at that position.

I have no idea what Yahoo's rankings for IDP are based off of, but they are just plain bad. There is literally no situation or positive scoring system where their top 2 players can be ranked in the order they are ranked. Don't use them for anything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Okiedokie.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yahoo ranks its IDPs with a very scientific method known as not giving a gently caress

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Here are All Yahoo IDP Players and their projections with our scoring system.

I made it read only, but you should be able to make a copy and do with it as you please.

I pulled all of the data through an hour of copy/paste from Yahoo's website. I probably won't update their projections again, but if I do I'll let you all know.

Also, the highlighted cells at the top is our scoring system. If that changes you can easily change it as you please.

My points won't exactly match Yahoo, but should be within a few tenths of a point. This is because they use more precise numbers for their projections, but only display them to 1 decimal place, meaning mine will have some small rounding errors. Noting that's big enough to matter, but if you're wondering why it's not perfect, that's why.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Man that's awesome Aredna, thanks!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Is it safe to assume points and players by position are final? When will the # of teams be locked?

Since I'm pretty sure I will have to autodraft all or at least part of this I'll need to load up a pretty deep autodraft list and would hate to do it twice since it appears to be quite labor intensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'd love to get up to 14, but I don't think we're going to find 3 more teams. We do need at least one more to draft. I'd say plan for 14 teams just in case but it'll probably end up only being 12. Roster positions aren't going to change, but I am thinking about making PDs and Sacks worth a tiny bit more (probably a point or less) to bump up the value for DLs and DBs.

• Locked thread