Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 3.5 2
Interception: 5 4
Fumble Force: 3.5 2.5
Fumble Recovery: 3.5 2.5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Safety: 4
Pass Defended: 3 2
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 2 1

Is what I'm thinking for a better scoring system, it should in theory make DLs and DBs closer to the mean. I'm also not opposed to using that PFF IDP scoring if everyone would rather. I just got a chance to look at it and I don't hate it. I'd make a few tweaks though:

Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 4
Interception: 6
Fumble Force: 4
Fumble Recovery: 3
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Safety: 10
Pass Defended: 3
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 3

Does anyone have any strong opinions one way or the other. I could just leave it as is if everyone would prefer, but I would like to try to give a bigger bump to the non-LBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
No strong opinions either way from me. I cared more before I played with the numbers and realized in almost every case both flex spots will be LBs.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Yeah, that's always going to happen unless we get the teams up to 14+

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

gently caress

IT

e: oh actually I don't know if I can make the draft. I have a bbq that afternoon. I apparently mentally replaced the timezone to Pacific. I'll keep the spot if you don't mind the possibility of me autodrafting but I'm willing to give it up for a guy who can actually make it.

vvv Yeah, I could probably whip one up pretty quick vvv

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
If you have time to fill out a draft priority then you won't be the only one autodrafting.

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Yeah, that's always going to happen unless we get the teams up to 14+

Yeah, assuming everyone uses perfect starters, non LB flex at your proposed scoring would be:

0-13 teams - 0 CB
14 teams - 2 CB
15 teams - 3 CB
16 teams - 7 CB
17 teams - 9 CB
18 teams - 14 CB
19,20 teams - 18 CB, 1 DE

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are we still drafting on... Sunday I guess? 9pm EDT?

Are the teams and settings finalized now?

How many of you guys are totally loving pumped to draft a bunch of linebackers because I know I am.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ideally we need 1 more team to make it even I think.

And for those autodrafting it will be fine. It's not for money and there is going to be a ton of waiver action. For those that haven't played IDP before - preseason forecasts are notoriously horribly inaccurate compared offensive line players.

You know how there are some players out of no where every year that people pick up in QB/RB/WR? The same happens in IDP, but even more so because there isn't as much time put into analyzing what teams are going to do defensively in detail as it relates to fantasy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aredna posted:

And for those autodrafting it will be fine.

Yahoo ranks their IDP players alphabetically. Autodrafters will be lucky to get non-retired people.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ahh, that's why it was screwed up.

Yeah, I meant you're fine autodrafting if you fix the list ahead of time yourself. If you rely on the preset rankings you are gonna be hosed.

I'm still 99% sure I'll be autodrafting some or all of my team since I'll be at work, but I'm waiting until # of teams is finalized to upload the list as my rankings change a bit on 12 vs. 14 teams. Some players move up/down about a full round.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I locked the league at 12 since I doubt we're going to get two more.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Awesome, and points going to be locked at top of this page?

Side note: If you really want to made CB worth as much as LB you could make pass defenses worth 15(!). At that rate though we're in lottery ticket mode week to week as to who wins head to head matchups

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Aredna posted:

Side note: If you really want to made CB worth as much as LB you could make pass defenses worth 15(!). At that rate though we're in lottery ticket mode week to week as to who wins head to head matchups

One of my other leagues has points per interception return yard which helps too.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They only do turnover yards total not specific turnovers.

Aredna posted:

Yeah, I'm going with the one at the top

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jesus christ Yahoo's predraft rankings tool is terrible. There's no search! Every time you change position you have to click "load more players" a bunch of times! Doing this bullshit by hand is going to take for loving ever.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You can tell it to load like 500 players in the list.... but yeah it sucks. I'm gonna start now and had planned on lining up about 500 players deep just to do overkill and be safe - but we'll see where my will gives in.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're not gonna need more than 250, the total number of people on everyone's roster is 228.

edit: I'm gonna punch Yahoo in the dick. I got all of my non-LB guys into a list and sorted, then accidentally hit the back button before I had a chance to save, rendering all that work moot.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 28, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Top 300 loaded and ready to autodraft! Here's to hoping this works out fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh god I still haven't done my rankings.

I did a mock draft with the yahoo tool and it's horrible. Runs in browser, super laggy, disconnects occasionally, switching between different types of players displayed takes too long.

This is gonna be interesting.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

Oh god I still haven't done my rankings.

I did a mock draft with the yahoo tool and it's horrible. Runs in browser, super laggy, disconnects occasionally, switching between different types of players displayed takes too long.

This is gonna be interesting.

Use the classic tool, it doesn't suck poo poo.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I figured that the draft rankings were such a piece of poo poo that I'll get better results by skipping all that and doing it live myself. I hope that this turns out to be the case...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Use the classic tool, it doesn't suck poo poo.

Oh I didn't know that was a thing.

What does $100 waiver limit mean? In my other league on ESPN we don't have that.

e. where do I click to use the classic tool

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 1, 2014

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Everyone puts in a blind bid for players they want. The person that bid the most money will win the auction when waivers clear. If there is a tie, it's broken by standard waiver priority. $100 is your budget for the entire year. If you spend $80 in week 1 on players then you only have $20 to spend for the rest of the season.

Typically most players will go for a few $. Some better than average players for say $5-7 and studs can go for up to $50 if there is high demand. Of course I'm used to how this plays out in normal leagues so here it will be an entirely new beast. For example, in my league last year, after his 45 point week Foles went for $50 because there were 2 teams that needed a starting QB.

I would guess if there are any breakout IDP players that look to be studs for the year we may see something similar happen here.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh so there's no waiver wire priority based on standings? Even the team in #1 position can get this week's breakout player if they're willing to bid more (which they are, because being in the lead they'll be less likely to need to save waiver money for future waiver pickups)?

We'll see how it plays out but it does not immediately seem like a better solution. At least not for a league that isn't auction drafting to begin with.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

Oh so there's no waiver wire priority based on standings? Even the team in #1 position can get this week's breakout player if they're willing to bid more (which they are, because being in the lead they'll be less likely to need to save waiver money for future waiver pickups)?

We'll see how it plays out but it does not immediately seem like a better solution. At least not for a league that isn't auction drafting to begin with.

That's always been my opinion on it. Not that season long waiver priority is any better cause that top team will eventually camp the top waiver spot.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
You're correct that everyone can get any player any week. The counter argument is that the worse teams are willing to bid more because they are more desperate to fill in gaps.

However, because it is a blind bid, you don't know if the top player is bidding $50 or $10 for a player. Besides, you can only bid half your budget twice and then you are screwed to pick up any mediocre players.

I imagine that with our shallow benches and the relatively linear dropoff in IDP players compared to offensive players it's going to be pretty easy to pick up waiver picks as needed.

From my experience as well, often the players being bid on go for the $5-$10 range as well because they are worth taking a shot on and are a potential starter, but not an every week starter so you want to spend some of your budget, but not too much.

It will be interesting to see how bidding goes as we all adjust to how other people in the league bid. In my main league I can now often get a good feel for what people will bid on a player and if I really want them win by $1-$2 more than the next highest bidder. Our first year we were paying $5+ more than each other trying to make sure we got who we wanted. The same will probably happen here.

Edit: The hilarious part is when someone seriously overvalues a player compared to other people. Last year we had a guy pay $37 for Julio after injury to use him as a keeper this year when the next highest bid was $7. In retrospect he should have spent a bit less to get value at the keeper position and the rest of us should have thought about it and bid quite a bit more than we did.

Edit2: I'll also add that when our league changed to this method I fought it quite a bit, but after using it for I guess 4 years now I really like it and the additional strategy it adds to waiver pickups throughout the year.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 1, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh so it's a blind bid? Yeesh. So if you're doing fine and don't really need a guy presumably you bid lower than the player who desperately needs a guy. But that desperate player is more likely to need to conserve cash for the future. So...

But yeah don't mind me, I expect to come last regardless. I don't even recognize the names of like 90 of the top 100 IDP players.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Double post to keep FAAB chat separate. I've never used Yahoo. Even though I'll have to autodraft a bit I want to try and get my first few picks in.

When can we open the draft room? If it's now, where the heck is the button? I'm used to ESPN where you can join the lounge an hour prior.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, I guess it's time to start researching defensive players, 22 minutes before the draft.

This is going to be so stupid. Which is why I say, :getin:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

Oh so it's a blind bid? Yeesh. So if you're doing fine and don't really need a guy presumably you bid lower than the player who desperately needs a guy. But that desperate player is more likely to need to conserve cash for the future. So...

But yeah don't mind me, I expect to come last regardless. I don't even recognize the names of like 90 of the top 100 IDP players.

Yeah, you put in your bids anytime before the waiver clear time and then you find out at waiver time what happened. It's fine though, I put in my list of 300 for autodraft and even though I've played IDP for 6 years or something now I still don't know most of the players. We have a good scoring system, but it's different than I've used and much deeper than I've used.

A lot of this for us this year will be looking at player stats and picking them up based off of that. Not too unlike many people starting out in FF for the first time and drafting players past the first few rounds.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

timp posted:

Welp, I guess it's time to start researching defensive players, 22 minutes before the draft.

This is going to be so stupid. Which is why I say, :getin:

Aredna posted:

Here are All Yahoo IDP Players and their projections with our scoring system.

Self quote and updated scoring system for a list of all Yahoo players that are in our league. Note I didn't update the projections since a week or so ago so some players will have changed in value since then. But this should give you a simple way to filter players if you need a quick check or sort on something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Alas, poor autodrafters

1:20 for the whole draft, good work everyone

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
To make the league more fun, and if it's still possible, we should consider changing it to a 10 man league.

If not, well, congrats to the 4 guys that get to play those teams twice! I'm OK to leave it as is since it's not for money, but the other 8 of us have a nice 1 game deficit to make up for the playoffs.

I've updated my team name for week 1 Leperfish - I'm coming for you!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aredna posted:

To make the league more fun, and if it's still possible, we should consider changing it to a 10 man league.

If not, well, congrats to the 4 guys that get to play those teams twice! I'm OK to leave it as is since it's not for money, but the other 8 of us have a nice 1 game deficit to make up for the playoffs.

I've updated my team name for week 1 Leperfish - I'm coming for you!

Haha nice!

It seems I drafted like five guys who are currently out with injuries... although yahoo's "currently" seems to be roughly week three of the preseason so who the gently caress knows. If all of the supposedly "out" guys are actually out, I may have to do a waiver wire pick on week 1.

I assume we can also put just about zero credence into Yahoo's predicted stats for week 1 as well.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I've got some players listed as Out, but when I read the notes it says they are expected to play week 1.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
The report cards are great. It's time to talk trash for the week 1 matchups:

Leperflesh, How does it feel to be projected to only finish the season ahead of the 2 autodraft teams?

quote:

With an average of 6.8 years of NFL experience, Immovable Objects is the team most likely to have a player become a grandpa.

Speaking of autodraft teams

quote:

I Keep Getting Older
And they stay the same age. PLACEHOLDER isn't afraid to rob the cradle, drafting the youngest team in the league with an average of just 3.8 years of NFL experience.

I feel bad for whichever team they projected Dodgeboy19 to beat it was probably me

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'll edit in usernames as people claim their teams.

This is the preseason projections. Looks like a few people are projected to have some easy (2nd in ranking, 5th in points?!?) or hard (6th in points, but 10th in ranking!) schedules this year.

Best of luck to everyone!

code:
Rank Username         Team Name            Record  Total   PPG   YT#
  1. Aredna           Unstoppable Force     12-1    2227  171.3   5
  2.                  Big Scary Black Men   12-1    2095  161.2   6
  3. JoeRules         Smash Mouth Football  11-2    2151  165.5   4
  4. Obama Yo Mama    O-Rank All-Stars       9-4    2100  161.5   1

5.                  Oliver_Sak's Team      7-6    2115  162.7   7
  6. Jerome Agricola  Hagel's Heroes         7-6    2085  160.4   8
  7. Azhais           Azhais's Team          5-8    2042  157.1  10
  8. timp             Deef Me Seymour        5-8    1971  151.6   3

9. Teeter           Dee's Team             5-8    1920  147.7   2
 10. Leperflesh       Immovable Objects      4-9    2058  158.3   9
 11.                  Dodgeboy19's Team      1-12    624   48.0  11
 12.                  PLACEHOLDER            0-13    489   37.6  12
Overall we're actually pretty balanced and I expect a lot of competitiveness this year.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 2, 2014

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
I'm Smash Mouth Football.

Here's hoping the autodrafters still show up - I think they can field decent teams from waiver wire pickups.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Dee here. I'll get around to changing the team name now that I've got a roster.

I feel like that draft went terribly because I have no grasp of the scoring and was struggling to figure out relative value of each position. That's on top of not knowing any of these players, because I only just started digging real deep into football last season. Fingers crossed that I picked up all starters (and healthy), so we'll see if they can scrape together some points for a few wins. It's good that none of this matters and I should be able to have a lot of fun even if I have a terrible showing.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Looking at it, one person could field a low end team (1700ish total points) off of waiver and the other would be around 1400 if they fixed it all next. With good management the 1700 point team could make playoffs I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Hagel's Heroes checking in.

• Locked thread