Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Do we know how much less effective Clarity is now? I'm wondering if the core of Eldritch Battery + Clarity + Discipline to power Arctic Armor is still going to be effective.

ZiggyD posted some of his updated trees and it seems that getting the core of EB + MoM isn't quite as terrible as I thought it was. For some reason I'm trying to talk myself out of running Infernal Blow 2h. I think I'm just melee-averse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I played around with both cloak of defiance (MoM) and lightning coil in the 1 month hc, and I just find lightning coil so much more reliable than mom. If you take a large hit and lose all your mana, AA might turn off and you could be kind of hosed unless you react immediatly.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

TheRat posted:

I played around with both cloak of defiance (MoM) and lightning coil in the 1 month hc, and I just find lightning coil so much more reliable than mom. If you take a large hit and lose all your mana, AA might turn off and you could be kind of hosed unless you react immediatly.

Lightning Coil just got significantly nerfed because of the dearth of +max resist, while CoD got significantly boosted because of the much higher ES and Mana regen/increased mana nodes on the tree.

Also, clarity only got it's cost upped, it's regen is as big as before.

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.
I'm so Q_Q right now. They nerfed frenzy (already a sorta marginal skill as a main single target attack) into the ground.

quote:

Frenzy: This skill now has constant attack speed per frenzy charge of 5%, rather than increasing as the gem levels. Its quality bonus has been reduced from 7% attack speed to 4% attack speed per frenzy charge at 20 quality.

So a 20/20 gem that used to get 18% ias per charge now gets 9%. The only thing I can come up with is they had to make frenzy complete crap due to the new kill streak buffs in the sc 3 month league. Nothing else makes sense since, again, it was a borderline skill before the nerf. RIP my frenzy archer build.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, some of the nerfs don't make much sense. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, frenzy can be a bitch to sustain with mana (or used to), without something like a soul taker. Just shut your mouth and use split arrow with frenzy as single target like a god drat normal human being!!!!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Thanks for the ideas! Lots of options it seems, and probably room to use some of the free respecs. Blocking sounds interesting too, especially with the master crafting thing.

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.

10bux posted:

Yeah, some of the nerfs don't make much sense. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, frenzy can be a bitch to sustain with mana (or used to), without something like a soul taker. Just shut your mouth and use split arrow with frenzy as single target like a god drat normal human being!!!!

I was using frenzy as my single target attack already. Frenzy - Blood Magic - Faster Attacks - Increased Phys Proj Dmg - Added Fire Dmg. Q_Q

AOE was Rain of Arrows. ROA - Blood Magic - LGOH - Faster Attacks - Concentrated Effect.

I think I'll keep frenzy unlinked or one linked just to keep charges up and use puncture as my single target skill. Or abandon frenzy and the blood dance boots entirely. It's just, the nerf came outta nowhere o_O. How many times did you hear people complain that Frenzy was OP?

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Jimbo posted:

I was using frenzy as my single target attack already. Frenzy - Blood Magic - Faster Attacks - Increased Phys Proj Dmg - Added Fire Dmg. Q_Q

AOE was Rain of Arrows. ROA - Blood Magic - LGOH - Faster Attacks - Concentrated Effect.

I think I'll keep frenzy unlinked or one linked just to keep charges up and use puncture as my single target skill. Or abandon frenzy and the blood dance boots entirely. It's just, the nerf came outta nowhere o_O. How many times did you hear people complain that Frenzy was OP?

Never. You're whining about your single target attack? Come on man, RoA does enough damage for single target. Not in groups, but for solo it's perfectly fine, and almost all bow builds suck for single target. There should be somebody in the group to take them out for you.

When I played RoA, I linked frenzy + blood magic + increased rarity + culling strike. That's how it's done. Frenzy is just to buff your RoA dps.

Also, if you didn't aleeady know, there's two options for chest armor for a RoA build, kaoms or carcass jack!! Like I said, RoA is good enough to be your single target so kaoms works. Otherwise, carcass jack is amazing for it.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
One of you standard nerds should buy my soul taker and/or 6L voll's

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

So I noticed around ranger/shadow you you can get like +200% to shield defenses now without too much work, I mean it's a lot of points but the return is actually pretty crazy. Can very reasonably have a ~7000 armor/6000 Ev/ 2000 ES shield. I may have to make my first block character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thinking about it, I want to try something different and not another slamming marauder. What's a good low cost build that I can use in to Merciless and possibly some Piety farming? Totem Templar? Spectral Throw abuser?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is there a good ratio on how much %life you want vs how many points you're spending to get them? I was thinking of trying a duelist archer because I got one to work some time ago, but after messing with the new skill tree it seems like I need to spend at least 60 points to reach 140% life and that's before taking into account keystones and such.

I'm thinking I should stick to summoner, seems like it's only gotten easier to reach all the minion nodes.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
150-180% life at endgame is a good target on the new tree IMO. I'm playing a life build and I'll have 187% at 112 pts spent (172% at 109 pts). Along with the flask buffs I think that will be enough to be quite tanky. This suggestion applies to Rampage and not the hardcore league btw.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It applies to HC aswell.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Is molten strike still viable as a main attack? It's a fun skill and last time I played it seemed like it was a workable alternative to the tired old lightning strike and ground slam builds.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Molten strike is still good as ever. Let me recommend dual claw molten strike with iron grip/point blank if you havent tried it. Good survivability, built in leech and massive dps!

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

TangentEnigma posted:

Is molten strike still viable as a main attack? It's a fun skill and last time I played it seemed like it was a workable alternative to the tired old lightning strike and ground slam builds.

It might have gotten a buff. Poacher's mark and the innate blood magic lvl1 game you can craft on gear means than you can possibly gain two more support gems than before with it. Of course, that's just specualtion.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TheRat posted:

Molten strike is still good as ever. Let me recommend dual claw molten strike with iron grip/point blank if you havent tried it. Good survivability, built in leech and massive dps!

That sounds like a really fun build actually, got a link to a tree for it?

e: something like this? or would you go for Shadow with the new tree changes?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 20, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Will I be able to just load up and start playing straight away tonight, or will there be server downtime when the expansion's activated?

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

They made a forum post that said servers will come down 2 hours before launch (so that's about 3 hours from now) and people would be able to pre-patch.

How have previous league launches been? Is it a shitshow of connection issues or is it generally pretty smooth? Not sure if I should ditch out on work early or let the first couple hours of kinks work themselves out. I guess a couple hours won't really make a difference either way, I just want to get started.

But Ethereal Knives, Ball Lightning or Molten Strike/Infernal Blow?! God drat it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I wasn't playing when sacrifice of the vaal launched so I'm not sure how that went, but historically when it comes to patches and downtime, GGG is loving fantastic. At risk of jinxing everything and loving it all up, I'm expecting it to be playable at or very close to launch time.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

poptart_fairy posted:

Will I be able to just load up and start playing straight away tonight, or will there be server downtime when the expansion's activated?

For the last expansion they took servers down 2~ hours before hand and let people patch and then by the time the countdown ended if you were all patched up you could play right away.

J posted:

I wasn't playing when sacrifice of the vaal launched so I'm not sure how that went, but historically when it comes to patches and downtime, GGG is loving fantastic. At risk of jinxing everything and loving it all up, I'm expecting it to be playable at or very close to launch time.

Shadows went great for me, no connection problems what so ever. Patching went very fast and aside from a large queue to log in once the servers come back up (which went pretty fast) I did not have any problems.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

They already know how to manage the current garena connections which is way more than they'll need for the international servers.. Probably no surprises on the hardware side

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
I just picked this up last night and got to play for an hour or so this morning. Is a summoner witch a viable build? I love playing necromancer types, but don't want to be horrible :) If possible, could you link a build for one? I am super low level, so just running around with fireballs, 4 zombies, and corpse explosion so far. Game reminds me a lot of Diablo 2, grim and gritty.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Nugi's back!

http://www.twitch.tv/nugiyen

YAY!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Nissir posted:

I just picked this up last night and got to play for an hour or so this morning. Is a summoner witch a viable build? I love playing necromancer types, but don't want to be horrible :) If possible, could you link a build for one? I am super low level, so just running around with fireballs, 4 zombies, and corpse explosion so far. Game reminds me a lot of Diablo 2, grim and gritty.

You're like 4 hours away from the biggest/second biggest patch in the history of the game that is going to change EVERYTHING. One of the biggest mechanics they're changing is making summons overall much better while completely eliminating an unintended mechanic that was terrible and unintuitive and made summons incredibly good. There's no way anyone will know for sure yet, but you should be confident they won't be bad.

Also if you're just getting started and not following a build guide that has been proven to work at lvl 85+, it basically doesn't matter at all. Once you get to the point where you realize there are things wrong in your build it would be faster to reroll. And there aren't exactly many resources to go to for builds that work at lvl 85+ because the skill tree is entirely changing. The main game content ends at level 68ish anyways, and I'm not sure it's even possible to make a build that can't get through the main game without actively trying to make it terrible.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

You're like 4 hours away from the biggest/second biggest patch in the history of the game that is going to change EVERYTHING. One of the biggest mechanics they're changing is making summons overall much better while completely eliminating an unintended mechanic that was terrible and unintuitive and made summons incredibly good. There's no way anyone will know for sure yet, but you should be confident they won't be bad.

Also if you're just getting started and not following a build guide that has been proven to work at lvl 85+, it basically doesn't matter at all. Once you get to the point where you realize there are things wrong in your build it would be faster to reroll. And there aren't exactly many resources to go to for builds that work at lvl 85+ because the skill tree is entirely changing. The main game content ends at level 68ish anyways, and I'm not sure it's even possible to make a build that can't get through the main game without actively trying to make it terrible.

Adding to this, just pick templar or witch, go for life (120-130% on softcore, 150+ on hardcore) and get the minion nodes that are not too much out of the way and you should be fine. Summoners are very good for a first character in a league as they are cheap and become progressively more powerful by the end of Cruel difficulty.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Really wish we knew what the masters selling "items with special build enabling modifiers" actually means. It's about the biggest question I still have about this expansion.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Not sure whether to go SRS or crit Ice Spear. Anyone know which would be easiest to get off the ground starting from scratch?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ultima66 posted:

One of the biggest mechanics they're changing is making summons overall much better while completely eliminating an unintended mechanic that was terrible and unintuitive and made summons incredibly good.

Sorry if I'm retreading old covered ground here, but what mechanic?

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

Really wish we knew what the masters selling "items with special build enabling modifiers" actually means. It's about the biggest question I still have about this expansion.

It's about what special mods that items normally can't roll that the masters can craft onto them. You can see it all on the wiki.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Catarina,_Master_of_the_Dead
Here is an example, you can get leech for elemental spells, extra skeletons, curse duration, ect.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Sorry if I'm retreading old covered ground here, but what mechanic?

Snapshotting.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/951414 explains

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Lionguild posted:

It's about what special mods that items normally can't roll that the masters can craft onto them. You can see it all on the wiki.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Catarina,_Master_of_the_Dead
Here is an example, you can get leech for elemental spells, extra skeletons, curse duration, ect.

No apparently each master sells some/a magical item that comes with a special mod that is unique to that master. Now it could be (and i kind of expect it honestly) that they can also craft these mods onto items, but this is being referred to as a distinct thing from their crafting options.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Can I get a Steam group invite (same name as here)?

I am really excited about this reset. Can you guys suggest a few good newbie builds? I am thinking Shadow with Reave and either claws or daggers, but I don't know how much gear that would need.

Pokchu was talking about a spell casting shadow build last night, but I don't remember any specifics.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

patch notes posted:

Each master has one special build-enabling crafting mod that is only available on a magic item sold by them. It's up to you whether you use it as-is, augment it to add one more mod or use Regal/Exalted orbs to try to create an amazing rare.

Gosh I hope they aren't totally underwhelming.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So as I understand it you get one hideout and all of your characters have access to your hideout, but obviously some masters are better for other classes, so how does that even work?

Have they actually explained how/when you find the Masters or is most of this still a mystery?

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
Alright, finally decided what I'm rolling on Beyond.

The new fire nodes makes this better the previously (a lot more ignite chance) and warlords giving life / mana leech to spells is great.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

BitterAvatar posted:

So as I understand it you get one hideout and all of your characters have access to your hideout, but obviously some masters are better for other classes, so how does that even work?

Have they actually explained how/when you find the Masters or is most of this still a mystery?

It is all explained in the patch notes. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/998489/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dexefiend posted:

Can I get a Steam group invite (same name as here)?

I am really excited about this reset. Can you guys suggest a few good newbie builds? I am thinking Shadow with Reave and either claws or daggers, but I don't know how much gear that would need.

Pokchu was talking about a spell casting shadow build last night, but I don't remember any specifics.

Sent. I don't think anyone really uses the steam group though, irc and guild chat accounts for most of the discussion. I assume it's in the OP, but irc is #pathgoons at synirc.net.

• Locked thread