Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

None of you are sure what to expect as you approach the dock. The boat is about as unremarkable a vessel as you could image. The crew of four greet you gruffly and spend most of the trip flipping seamless between joking and arguing in a foreign language . The Captain makes a point of telling you he has no idea who you are or why you’re going to The Frijlands, and makes a personal promise that anyone who tries to tell him will be gutted and thrown overboard.

Three days later, as the sun rises, a sailor with the head of a bird cries out that your destination is near. The morning air is cold, and thick mist surrounds you on all sides, but his words prove true. An hour later and you can just make out the colossal fingers of frozen ice and rock growing from the ocean. The hazy silhouettes of mountains pierce the sky, waves crash against the cliffs, and serpentine creatures rise and fall lazily in and out of the nearby surf. If the sailors are worried about these sea creatures, they don’t show it.

“That be where we land,” the Captain tells you, pointing to a single rocky island some distance to the west, just visible through a gap in the mist. Though it is perhaps half a mile from the mainland, you can see why this will be the start of your journey. The southern shore ahead is a sheer cliff face of prismatic ice, whereas the island has a sloping beach far easier to scale. Obese seals roll and bark at one another across the pebbles as waves break against their blubbery hides.

“We take ya there,” the Captain continues. “Drop ya. Wait a few days. Til ya come back or we think ya dead. Then we sail back.”

A shrill scream echoes against the cliffs. A pair of gulls resting atop one of the masts take flight. It is silent for a moment, then another cry echoes in return.

“Damak kara balla?” the goblin sailor asks his shipmates as he tosses a fishing net overboard.

Then something swoops down out of the sky, grabs him by both arms, and drags him away. You see his feet flailing for a moment and then he is gone into the mist. A second later and you hear him landing in the sea several metres away with a splash. He is screaming with panic – one word over and over again.

“Garaba! Garaba! Garaba!”

The other sailors immediately stop what they are doing and grab weapons – spiked poles, a cutlas, two flintlock pistols. They eye the sky warily, ducking and whirling at every shadow.

Just as the goblin reaches the ship and begins struggling to climb the nets and rigging at its side, a golden sphere the size of a dwarf swoops down out of the mist, grabs the mast in its talons, and snaps it away with ease. Another swoops down and pitter-patters awkwardly along the deck snapping its jaws.

The garaba are round, fat and golden. A single eye sits in the centre of their bodies, surrounded by short red horns. Wide maws filled with sharp teeth snap and scream from above their stubby legs. Beating its leathery wings, the garaba leaps up and grabs the Captain by the shoulders. Its talons easily slip around his thick arms as it lowers its face as if to swallow his head whole.

Even in your panic you are aware of other shapes falling in the mist. It is still about three miles to the shore.

A garaba swoops from the sky with its talons outstretched, drops beneath one sail, then heads straight for Bloob. Its eye is beautiful and terrifying as it glares at him with unwavering focus. It aims its legs for his shoulders, ready to perch and attack.

A pair of the creatures plummet out of the air with their wings tucked in and then burst open mere feet above the water. They hover around the terrified goblin still clutching the side of the boat. They inch closer and closer, neither quite daring to grab the morsel in case the other attack them for it.

In the centre of the deck there is a single thud, follwed by a gentle crunch. A few moments later the sound occurs again. Chunks of ice and snow fall from the sky and shatter against the deck leaving dents and cracks in the wood. The garaba are dropping things in an attempt to sink the ship!

There are fires that need putting out all at once and there may not be enough of you to extinguish them all. You have freedom to address whatever is important to your character, but to give an idea of how things are laid out.

Napelidieu, you are nearest the Captain right now. The garaba has not quite got its mouth around his face, but it is a split-second from doing so. Of everyone on the ship, you’re the most likely to be able to save him. What do you do?

Bloob, there is a garaba coming right for you. What do you do?

Yon, you’re in the best position to help the goblin clutching the side of the boat, but you might be better off letting him fend for himself and focusing on something else. What do you do?

Jazaat, you see a shape in the mist above you clutching a very large rock in its talons. It seems as if it is aiming for the very middle of the ship (where you are standing). What do you do?

Qqqqq, whilst the chaos begins unfurling, you are very aware that most of the rations and supplies are currently still in the bowels of the ship. With the ice and rocks falling and the crew under attack you are faced with a difficult choice. Do you want to help and increase the likelihood of everyone making it, or do you want to vanish below deck and secure the items in the hope that you can get them to shore if things go awry?

Everyone, what percentage chance of success do you currently rate the mission as having? Also, fill in your bonds based on what you have learnt about your allies during the journey so far.

It'd be really helpful if everyone could post their character sheet in their first post. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Qqqqq
HP: 19/19 Armor 1/1 XP 0/9

As usual, when things go badly, they do so with alacrity.
Several of my eyes twitch behind the featureless mask of my helmet.
Without conscious directive I begin to calculate angles, averages, probabilities.

Options:
-Avoid the fight. Attempt personal evacuation to shore with supplies and equipment. Benefit of much lower risk of personal harm.
Likelihood of Success: 89.0004%
-Join the fight. Risk personal harm. Potential Benefit of more survivors for larger labor pool and carrying of supplies.

Facts:
-This ship is sustaining damage, a high likelihood of sinking.
-Without our supplies we will not accomplish the mission. UNACCEPTABLE
-Even with a spell, I cannot carry enough of our equipment on my own to make any difference.
-Additionally, The loss of manpower inherent in abstaining from this fight outweigh any potential short term benefits.

Solution:
Stay and fight. Keep the ship together long enough to make an orderly evacuation and preserve a larger percentage of supplies and equipment.
Likelihood of Success: 72.3456%

Within the blink of several eyes, I reach this decision point.
A hand passes over a pouch on my armor, and out floats a Cube, several inches to a side, made of a smooth material resembling cloudy white quartz and carved with numerous bizarre seals and designs.

The Cube, My Arcane Tesseract, floats a few inches above my outstretched hand. The noetic interface opening with whispers in my mind as the carvings begin to glow. I trigger the Wraith-bone blade on my right gauntlet, extending it in preparation for blood.

All of this processing takes place within a single instant and I'm ready for battle. I raise the Cube and a crimson lightning bolt streaks out at the Garaba attacking Jazaat.
Magic Missile 13
Magic Missile Damage 3

"This one requests that everyone gather together to easier provide mutual cover!" I declare.
Since I rolled a 12+, I was wondering if, on top of the damage done, my magic missile could also knock the rock away from the Garaba and off to the side enough to miss landing on the boat?

CHARACTER SHEETS

quote:

Class Extra-Dimensional Technomage (Bard)
Level 2
XP 0/9

DMG d6
Armor 1/1
HP 19

STR 11 (+0) INT 16 (+2)
DEX 9 (+0) WIS 8 (-1)
CON 13 (+1) CHA 16 (+2)

Drive: Curious (taken from another playbook)
Put yourself in danger to discover something interesting.
Background: Explorer (Elf)
When you enter an important location (your call) you can ask the GM for one fact from the history of that location.

Gear:
Dungeon Rations (5/5)
Arcane Tesseract Cube (Bard songbook + Wizard spellbook) A small cube carved with odd glyphs that floats a few inches above Qqqqq's hand.
Wraith-bone armor (Leather Armor 1 armor, 1 weight)
Retractable Wraith-bone wristblade (Short Sword close, 1 weight)
Adventuring gear (5/5) (1 weight)
Healing Potion (heal 10 dmg or remove one Debility)
10 coins
Load: 5/9

Bonds
  • This is not This one's first adventure with Mendicant Jazaat.
    Jazaat was the Eye representative that recruited This one for this mission. We traveled north from Marafen together.
  • This one heard stories of Yon Bonné long before it ever met them in person.
    One of the few comforts This one was allowed in captivity were academic journals and news sheets from the outside. This one recognizes the name from previous reading.
  • This one is writing a dissertation about Bloob.
    The creature is semi-sapient at the least, and of a kind previously un-studied, This one is eager to learn and publish its findings about fishmen and their culture.
  • Bloob does not understand This one's humor.
    This one has made several attempts at befriending the fishman Bloob, with the intent of making its researches easier, to no avail. Another approach is warranted.
  • "Marquis" du Brous trusted This one with a secret.
    Unknown at this time.
  • Mendicant Jazaat does not trust This one, and for good reason.
In addition to This one's (admittedly deserved) reputation, This one possesses a nearly totally opposed personality and sense of ethics. This creates interpersonal friction, and often brings up questions of motive.

Level Ups
Level 2
MC dabbler
increased INT from 15 to 16

quote:

STARTING MOVES:

Arcane Art(CHA)
When you weave a performance into a basic spell, choose an ally and an effect:
  • Heal 1d8 damage
  • +1d4 forward to damage
  • Their mind is shaken clear of one enchantment
  • The next time someone successfully assists the target with aid, they get +2 instead of +1
Then roll+CHA.
On a 10+, the ally gets the selected effect.
On a 7-9, your spell still works, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

Bardic Lore
Choose an area of expertise:
  • Spells and Magicks [X]
  • The Dead and Undead
  • Grand Histories of the Known World
  • A Bestiary of Creatures Unusual
  • The Planar Spheres
  • Legends of Heroes Past
  • Gods and Their Servants
When you first encounter an important creature, location, or item (your call) covered by your bardic lore you can ask the GM any one question about it; the GM will answer truthfully.
The GM may then ask you what tale, song, or legend you heard that information in.

Charming and Open
When you speak frankly with someone, you can ask their player a question from the list below. They must answer it truthfully, then they may ask you a question from the list (which you must answer truthfully).
  • Whom do you serve?
  • What do you wish I would do?
  • How can I get you to ______?
  • What are you really feeling right now?
  • What do you most desire?

A Port in the Storm
When you return to a civilized settlement you’ve visited before, tell the GM when you were last here. They’ll tell you how it’s changed since then.

LVL2 - MC DABBLER: Cast A Spell (INT)
When you release a spell you’ve prepared, roll+Int.
On a 10+, the spell is successfully cast and you do not forget the spell—you may cast it again later.
On a 7-9, the spell is cast, but choose one:
  • You draw unwelcome attention or put yourself in a spot. The GM will tell you how.
  • The spell disturbs the fabric of reality as it is cast—take -1 ongoing to cast a spell until the next time you Prepare Spells.
  • After it is cast, the spell is forgotten. You cannot cast the spell again until you prepare spells.
Note that maintaining spells with ongoing effects will sometimes cause a penalty to your roll to cast a spell.

SPELLBOOK (Arcane Tesseract Cube)
Cantrips
- Unseen Servant
- Light
- Prestidigitation

Known Spells
- Magic Missile
- Detect Magic
- Contact Spirits

Prepare Spells
When you spend uninterrupted time (an hour or so) in quiet contemplation of your spellbook, you:
Lose any spells you already have prepared.
Prepare new spells of your choice from your spellbook whose total levels don’t exceed your own level+1.
Prepare your cantrips which never count against your limit.

quote:

SPELLS
  • Light (Cantrip)
    An item you touch glows with arcane light, about as bright as a torch. It gives off no heat or sound and requires no fuel, but it is otherwise like a mundane torch. You have complete control of the color of the flame. The spell lasts as long as it is in your presence.
  • Unseen Servant (Cantrip, Ongoing)
    You conjure a simple invisible construct that can do nothing but carry items. It has load 3 and carries anything you hand to it. It cannot pick up items on its own and can only carry those you give to it. Items carried by an unseen servant appear to float in the air a few paces behind you. An unseen servant that takes damage or leaves your presence is immediately dispelled, dropping any items it carried. Otherwise the unseen servant serves you until you end the spell.
  • Prestidigitation (Cantrip)
    You perform minor tricks of true magic. If you touch an item as part of the casting you can make cosmetic changes to it: clean it, soil it, cool it, warm it, flavor it, or change its color. If you cast the spell without touching an item you can instead create minor illusions no bigger than yourself. Prestidigitation illusions are crude and clearly illusions—they won’t fool anyone, but they might entertain them.

• Detect Magic (Level 1, Divination)
    One of your senses is briefly attuned to magic. The GM will tell you what here is magical.
  • Contact Spirits (Level 1, Summoning)
    Name the spirit you wish to contact (or leave it to the GM). You pull that creature through the planes, just close enough to speak to you. It is bound to answer any one question you ask to the best of its ability.
  • Magic Missile (Level 1, Evocation)
    Projectiles of pure magic spring from your fingers. Deal 2d4 damage to one target.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 28, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

HP: 14 Armor: 0 XP: 0 Ammo: 6

Yon frowned. This journey was of to a good start. He peeped down to the desperate goblin, who was trying to climb and fend of the weird flying creatures at the same time and than gave a quick glance around the rest of the ship and the wing-filled sky above it. With the mast gone, the best position would be the aftercastle. And it was probably paramount to take out these creatures before they could sink the boat, as no one should start a suicide mission with the loss of all their resources and equipment.

He sighted. The odds were already against them, there was a good chance that this would end in a complete wipeout, so this was really not a time for softhearted altruism. But on the other hand, starting the mission with letting some poor soul being eating by flying eye monsters had to be bad karma. And in the event that he did survive the coming days, it was probably best to not antagonize the people responsible for their voyage home.

He extended one hand over the railing, down to the jittering goblin.

'Come on mate, hurry up, I have better things to do than goblin fishing right now!'

pre:
Look: Sharp Eyes, Stylish Hat, Military Garb, Fit Body

STR	DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
 13      17       8       9      15      12
 +1      +2      -1      +0      +1      +0

Damage  Armor     HP      Load      Level   XP
    d8     0      14/14    5/22       2      0

Alignment:

Chaotic - Spur unplanned action with your talents

Racial Move:

Elf - When you use Lock On, any weapon you use to volley with gains +1 piercing

Starting Moves

Lock On: 
When you draw a bead on a target, deal +2d4 damage against that target and -4 damage to anyone else.  
This effect lasts until the target has been defeated.  You can choose a different target at any time, 
but you take -1 forward against both your old and new targets.

Crack Shot:  
When you have them in your sights, roll +Dex.  On a 10+, hold 3.  On a 7-9, hold 2.  
On a miss, hold 1, but you've ignored something big. When you Volley, you may spend your hold,
1 for 1, for the following effects:

• Kneecap: Slow or hobble an enemy
• Peacemaker: Make an enemy drop whatever he is holding or wearing
• Ricochet: Deal your level in damage to a nearby enemy.
• Stinger: Disorient an enemy for a moment
• Suppression Fire: Give an ally in your weapon's range +1d6 damage forward.

Trick Shot

When you have the appropriate supplies and a couple minutes to tweak your ammo, gain 3 Quiver. 
You can have up to 3 Quiver prepared at any one time. When you shoot your weapon at a range,
you may expend 1 Quiver to add an effect:

• Explosive Shot: The shot gains the forceful, messy, and area tags.
• Elemental Shot: The shot deals +1d4 damage.
• Stun Shot: The shot gains the stun tag.
• Poisoned Shot: The target deals -1d4 damage ongoing until cured.
• Piercing Shot: The shot gains +2 piercing.
• Rope Shot: The shot trails a line of rope from the point of impact back to you.

I’m Not There:

When you need to be somewhere you shouldn’t roll+WIS.  On a 10+, you find a way to get in and get out clean.  
On a 7-9, you find a way to get in clean or a way to get out clean.  On a miss, you’re stuck.

Advanced Moves

Whitman Fever:
When you volley you may spend extra ammo before rolling.  For each ammo spent, you may choose an extra target. 
Roll once and apply the damage to all targets.

Gear: 

Adventuring Gear (6/6), Weight 1
Dungeon Rations (5/5), Weight 1
2 Ammo (6/6), Weight 2
Calling Card (A little pendant in the shape of a heart, pierced by a golden arrow), Weight 0
Fashionable Outfit
2 healing potions 
Hunter’s bow (near, far), Weight 1 
10 Gold

Bonds:

There’s a contract out on Mendicant Jazaat’s head.
Bloob doesn’t know how ugly this job can get.
Napelidieu du Brous and I go back. Way back.
Qqqqq thinks they can "save" me. Let them try.

e X fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 30, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat glanced around at the issues that plagued this ship. Sighing deeply, he broke into a run, his stance changing so his weight distribution shifted to not only flow with the ship's turns and twists but also to flow with other, more subtle variations. With a flick his spear was in his hand and he hopped on to the side of the mast, running deftly up it dodging from section to section, using the spear to dig in and provide added leverage, his feet moved in a blur as his weight shifted dramatically and he took advantage of every foot- and hand-hold (and made some where none where available).

Reaching the top of the now-broken mast, he stamped a padded foot upon the jagged points at the stop and sprung up with a surprising gait, spear first as he drove it at the creature that was daring to try to crush the ship with a big rock. As he stabbed into the fell creature, he pivoted in the air - twisting his weight around like a lever, sending it spinning off into the waves below, still carrying its exceptionally heavy rock.

Using Brutal Strike on the rock-carrying one, dealing the extra (1d6) damage, and knocking them down into the waves below.

Brutal Strike (Climbing Spear): 2d6+2 13
Climbing Spear Brustal Strike Damage (Piercing 2): 1d8+1d6 10

pre:
Mendicant Jazaat, Agent of the Eye

Look: Dangerous Eyes, Hooded Head, Cloak and Mask, Wrapped Skin

STR	 DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
   16     16     12      9      13       8
   +2     +2     +0     +0      +1      -1

Damage  Armor   HP      Load      Level   XP
    d8     1      20/20    7/12       2      0

Training

Infiltration (The Hidden Cities): Replace the description to No One Looks Up with the following:
When you climb along a ceiling without talking or attacking, 
NPCs will never notice you, if you haven't been spotted already.

Drive

Competitive Instincts: Defeat another in a contest of skill or strength.

Bonds

I have a running bet going with Yon Bonné.
Napelidieu Du Brous impressed me. I need to one-up them.
Qqqqq doesn't think highly of me. How foolish of them.
Bloob has my back, and I have theirs.

Starting moves

Wall Walking

You can climb along solid walls and ceilings as quickly as you can walk or run, regardless of 
their texture or composition. When you are climbing, you only have one hand free to take 
actions with. You may carry one person with you while you are Wall Walking, but you can't 
use your hands at all while you have a passenger.

Death From Above (Str)

When you drop in on someone from above, roll +STR. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, 
choose one:
• Deal your damage with a melee weapon
• Kidnap them - you retreat to somewhere nearby, taking them with you
• No one notices you dropping in, and your target doesn't make a sound

No One Looks Up

When you climb along a ceiling without talking or attacking, NPCs will never notice you, 
if you haven't been spotted already.

On a Mirror's Edge (Str)

When you begin free running, start moving and roll +STR. On a 10+,hold 3. On a 7-9, 
hold 2. On a 6-,hold 1, but when you spend it, the GM will add a complication. You lose 
all of this hold the moment you stop moving. Spend 1-hold to do one of the following:
• Avoid or knock aside an enemy attack and keep moving
• Leap around, over, or through an obstacle or enemy in your path
• Get up somewhere out of reach or out of sight

Advanced Moves

Brutal Strike (Str)

When you attack a surprised or defenseless enemy with a melee 
weapon, either deal your damage or roll +STR. On a 10+choose two. 
On a 7–9, choose one:
• You knock them down or toss them aside
• You deal your damage +1d6
• You maim them - a limb or sense of your choice becomes useless
• You terrify them - they'll do anything they can to get away from you

Gear:

Climbing spear (close, reach, 1 piercing, 2 weight)

Survival Knife (hand, 1 weight)

Throwing knives (near, 1 weight), 3 ammo

Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)

Adventuring Gear (6 uses, 1 weight)

Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)

One healing potion

10 gold coins

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 30, 2014

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Qqqqq blasts the rock-clutching garaba with a creeping bolt of crimson lightning. The magic dances over its body and blasts several smaller chunks of rock from the boulder in its claws. The large boulder remains in the garaba's talons, but there are now shards of it raining down upon Qqqqq.

Qqqqq, what kind of effect does your magic missile have? Electronic burns? Magical explosions? Corrosive damage? You are beneath a storm of rocks, try and stop them hitting the deck? Protect your face? What do you do?

It never gets a chance, however, as Jazaat sails effortlessly up the remains of the mast and pierces its spherical body upon his spear. Twisting like a cyclone in the air he launches the creature and the remainder of its boulder, down into the waves. He feels some pride in his efficiency before he feels gravity returning and looks down to play his graceful landing. There is a sudden screech and a garaba soars beneath him, halts by twisting its wings, and waits with its huge maw open. Looking down you can see an additional row of razor-sharp teeth in its innards, flanking a huge throat and long, hungry tongue.

Jazaat, you are falling towards a very hungry, very large Maw. What do you do?

The splash momentarily distracts the two garaba fighting over the goblin, and the sailor reaches out and grabs Yon's hand. Just as he is about to pull him over the ledge, the goblin screams. One of the monsters grasps his leg in its mighty jaws, blood already pouring between its lips. Rather than take a small bite it seems intent on winning the meal. It tugs and drags viciously, flapping it wings hard in an attempt to wrestle the sailor from Yon.

Yon, you're tug of warring it over a very unhappy goblin. If he gets him away from you there's a good chance the sailor is dead. To try and outwrestle him you'll need to Defy+STR but there are other things you can do. What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq
HP 19/19, Armor 1/1, XP 1/9

I nod in satisfaction at the effect Jazaat and I have on the enemy creature. Though I seem to have brought further potential for injury upon myself. No matter. My Wraith-bone armor is stronger than it appears, and it was designed for situations like this.

I raise my arms and stabilize my stance in anticipation...
Defy Danger +CON 5 +XP
It seems my confidence in my fortitude was misplaced. Worrisome.

What kind of effect does your magic missile have?
It has the appearance of red lightning, but it doesn't really burn or explode. People/objects tend to disintegrate into ash where the bolts touch them.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat, still holding his climbing spear moves without thought. In a sudden motion he whips across the barbed edge of his spear, catching deftly along the splintered edges of the mast and pulled himself spinning about the mast, swiftly dislodging the spear and grabbing on to the mast as he spun around it, simultaneously sliding down and away from the hideous horror.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6+2 10

Doing so with a flourish!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

HP: 14 Armor: 0 Ammo: 6 XP: 0

Yon hesitates a second, without letting go of the poor goblin's hand. The creature had sharp teeth, trying to just pull the goblin out of its mouth could easily cost the sailor its foot.

He thinks for a second, then he starts to grin.

He slightly changes his stance, to give himself a a better foothold, then his other arm shoots forward, grabbing the creature by a wing and pulling the entire goblin-garaba gestalt onto the boat's deck in one fast, fluid motion.

Before the surprised creature can react, he swiftly kicks it into the face and pulls the goblin's foot free.

Defy Danger (Str): 2d6+1=11

e X fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 19, 2014

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Bloobligloob

HP: 24 | Armor: 2 (with shield. 0 without.) | XP: 0

Bloob had spent most of the trip sitting motionless by the side of the boat, only venturing into the frigid waters on rare and seemingly random occasions, and never for too long. An instinctive sense of unease had taken hold of him since the group had set off, but the fish's concern was not over the mission itself. He was simply the only one of his kind, and solitary fish-people were dead fish-people. For all their attempts at niceties, these men were not his tribe-school.

As the ship draws near to the rocky outcropping of land, Bloob finds himself eying the seals off in the distance. He had killed such beasts before, and their meat was filling and plentiful. The sight did not make him hungry today, despite the long length of time it had been since he'd last eaten. His metabolism was slowing in preparation for his eventual death, and the thought that his oblivion was so near already is a disturbing thought.

So disturbing in fact, that Bloob didn't notice the circling garabas or the commotion they cause until he realizes that one had singled him out! Lifting his shield and ducking low, Bloob braces himself for the incoming strike..

Defy Danger - Con: 2d6+2 6
+1 XP. With mine and Qqqqq's rolls, I hope this doesn't start a trend.

quote:

Bloobligloob
Fish-person Skirmisher (from Grim World)
Unblinking Eyes, Moist Skin, Tribal Garments, Scaly Body
Alignment: Neutral - Distract a powerful opponent.

HP: 24
Armor: 2 (with shield. 0 without.)
Damage: d6

STR 13 +1
DEX 15 +1
CON 16 +2
INT 8 -1
WIS 12 +0
CHA 9 +0

Fulcrum
When you spend a moment getting into position near an ally, they become your Fulcrum on the battlefield. You can still act normally, but by keeping an eye on your Fulcrum, you'll often find opportunities for quick strikes against enemies they engage. This ally is considered your Fulcrum for as long as you stay Near them or until you select a new Fulcrum.
When you Aid your Fulcrum, add +1 to your roll.

Using an ally as a Fulcrum gives you the benefit of plenty of opportunities for quick strikes. Likewise, your Fulcrum benefits from your presence in a specific way:
*Confidence: Your current Fulcrum deals +1 damage when they attack.

Opportunity Strike
The actions of your Fulcrum will often open up enemies to your attacks. An Opportunity Strike might be a quick stab of your spear, or a javelin throw, or a fast shot from your bow. When you perform an Opportunity Strike, you deal d6 damage (and any weapon bonuses) to the target.
*Reprisal: When your Fulcrum takes damage, you can immediately make an Opportunity Strike against the attacker.
*Flanking Maneuver: When your Fulcrum attacks and deals damage, you can immediately make an Opportunity Strike against the same target. (If the attack hit multiple targets, choose one.)

Spear Throw
When you throw your spear, roll+DEX. *On a 10+, you hit your intended target and deal your damage. *On a 7-9, also choose one:
• The spear is lodged and won't be easy to recover.
• The spear's shaft is damaged, take -1 ongoing to Spear Throw.
• The spear's head is broken, it deals -1 damage from now on.

When you spend an hour or so repairing your spear, remove its negative effects.

Distraction
When you seek to distract one or more opponents, say how you try it and roll. If you do it...
• ...through intimidation or brute strength, +STR
• ...through acting fast or maneuvering, +DEX
• ...by enduring bodily harm, +CON
• ...with quick thinking or useful knowledge, +INT
• ...by overcoming a fear or being perceptive, +WIS
• ...with social prowess or charm, +CHA

*On a 10+, the distraction works perfectly.
*On a 7-9, the distraction is mostly successful but the GM will tell you of a complication. Perhaps it only works briefly or an ally can't help but be distracted too. Anyone taking advantage of the distraction gets a +1 on their roll.

Feint
When you Hack and Slash, on a 7-9 instead of dealing your damage you can choose to avoid the attack the enemy makes against you.

Adaptive Shielding
When you wield a shield, it gives an additional +1 armor.
When you do not wield a shield, your melee attacks have +2 piercing.

Resourceful Carver
You are adept at crafting replacement spears, javelins, arrows, or any wood-based gear you're familiar with. The GM will tell you how long it takes and any additional requirements, but your allies will always be surprised by your resourcefulness and speed.

Inventory:
Load 4/9
Spear (reach, thrown, near, 1 weight)
Turtle Shell Shield (+1 armor, 1 weight)
Bundle of Javelins (2 ammo, thrown, near, 1 weight)
Sling (near, -1 damage, 0 weight)
Adventuring Gear (1 use, 1 weight)
Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
10 gold coins
3 Healing Potions

Bonds:
Jazaat is weak and foolish, but amusing to me.
Qqqqq’s ways are not of the ocean, and I find them and their name strange and confusing.
Yon is an endangerment to the mission. I won't let them ruin my death.
Napelidieu is the one kindred spirit I have met in my short time away from my tribe-school.
e: cleaned up tense

red plastic cup fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 30, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
"Marquis" Napelidieu Du Brous

Napelidieu senses the attack as it comes. His scarred chest gives the heads-up, though for the others it is just a flinch and a wince moments before the fishing goblin is picked up and thrown to sea. As the rest stare at the spectacle of the goblin, Napelidieu mentally prepares for life-and-death battle. Death haunts the Marquis' heart, after all, ever since that near-miss on the field of battle fifteen years ago. The old scar now pulses with a blood-red gleam, and stings like hot coals, whenever the grim reaper sees a chance at Napelidieu's life. Why he is so cursed and blessed, not even the Marquis can say. It hurts, sure, but forewarned is forearmed, and speaking of forearms... with a grimace, left without much time to think, the Marquis thrusts his hands towards the captain's head.

"Gerrof, ya garish gara-bage," he grunts, sticking his arms inside the colourful thing's mouth before it has time to clamp down. Insane as the action seems, Napelidieu is counting on his plate armour, sleeves of chain and iron gauntlets to protect him as he keeps its jaws pressed open from between outer and inner rows of teeth. Amazingly, it seems to work. Crushing its tongue with one mailed fist and pressing hard on the roof of its mouth, Napelidieu has a grip and will be hard pressed to let go. Meanwhile, the captain is all but free to scramble away.

Defending the cap'n. If he counts as an ally in this fight, I get one extra hold.

Defend: 2d6+2 7

-Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself
-Halve the attack’s effect or damage

pre:
"Marquis" Napelidieu Du Brous, Last Scion of a Rebel Dynasty

Hard Eyes, Shaved Head, Toned Body, Wrapped Body

STR	DEX	CON	INT	WIS	CHA
16      8       16      12      9       13

Damage	Armor	HP      Load      XL      XP
d10     2       26      24        2       0    

Cataclysm 

Man  -
You lost everything to the cruelty of your fellow people.
When dealing with sympathetic or guilt-ridden NPCs,
you can use your tortured past as leverage

Drive

Something to Call My Own -
Obtain something or someplace that is yours and only yours

Bonds
Yon Bonné knows what I've been through better than most.
Jazaat does not know true suffering like I do.
I saved Qqqqq from a great cataclysm.
I will keep Bloob safe from the horrors of the world.

Gear (4/24)

Du Brous signet ring (Memento) - 
An ornate gold ring bearing the engraving of an owl sitting atop a
cabinet of swords, both set in a shield crossed by lightning bolts.
Below, the family motto reads 'With might, carry wisdom; with magic, protect both'.

Patriarch's Plate (Father's armour) - 
A battered, but finely wrought set of steel plate armour (1 armor, 1 weight)

10 gold coins

Adventuring gear (1 use, 1 weight)
A survival knife (hand, 1 weight)
Bandages (3 uses, slow, 0 weight)
Dungeon rations (10 uses, 2 weight)

Moves

Eternal Mark
As a survivor of a great cataclysm, the world has left its mark upon you, and you have
been eternally changed as a result.

A body scarred - You have +1 armor.
A scar burning - This scar glows and burns when you are in danger.

Napelidieu has many, many scars, but his burning mark is located on his chest, left of his heart,
where he once took a spear to the side during the civil war. The plate he wears usually covers up its pulsating
blood-red glow, so few have realized the exact nature of the Du Brous scion's preternatural sense of danger.

Hold On to What's Precious

When you Defend an ally, a friend, or something you cherish, gain +1 hold, even on a
miss. When you hold something or someone you cherish in your hand and they would be
taken, knocked away, moved, broken, or damaged in any way, you can prevent that
from happening by taking the effect yourself.

Reminders of the Past

When you meet a traveler or enemy you've met before (your call), tell the GM of your
last encounter with them. The GM will tell you how they've changed since then.
When you come across a marked grave, tell the GM who they were and how you knew
them.

Survive (CON)

When you brace for impact against expected harm, roll +CON. On a 10+, choose two.
On a 7-9, choose one:
• Take half damage, rounded down.
• Take a debility instead of taking damage. You cannot choose this option if you have
all six debilities.
• Ignore all effects of the attack, other than damage. You are not moved, set on fire,
poisoned, restrained, or anything else the attack would have done to you.
• Take +1 ongoing against the cause of this damage until you have conquered it.

Dead Man Walking

When you take damage, you may choose to ignore it. Instead of taking
damage, gain Pain equal to the damage you would have taken. When you
next take a short rest, spend all of your Pain and take an equal amount of
damage, ignoring armor.

You're Already Dead

When you would deal your damage, you may choose not to roll damage
and instead gain 1-Fate. You can spend all held Fate at any time to deal
your damage that many times to one enemy you gained Fate from, dealing
the total damage as a single hit. You can discard held Fate at any time,
should you choose to spare them.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 15, 2014

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The rain of rocks falling on Qqqqq is surprisingly heavy. Chunks of ice shatters against his strange armor and litter the deck with frost. Shrugging off the majority of the blows, a single - heavier rock descends and Qqqqq is faced with a hard choice - take the blow or let it hit the deck knowing it's likely to cause some damage. With the first threat to the ship's deck dealt with, Qqqqq finds themself face to face with another garaba. It sits, squat and silent, atop the railing running along the side of the sip. It blinks at Qqqqq's strange face, then opens its mouth. A long pink tongue shoots out and sticks to the technomage's helmet, then begins dragging him face first towards the open rows of teeth!

Qqqqq, take 4 damage or let the rock break the boat a little? You're now being dragged towards an enemy by their lizard-like tongue. What do you do?

Jazaat lands with the grace of a cat, but the garaba above is not giving up so easily. It drops to the deck then charges with the wobbly and awkward gait of a toddler. Its tail swings back and forth behind it as its talons pound the wood. Its eye focuses on the walker and the walker alone with an intimidating precision.

Jazaat, you have a hungry monster running straight for you. What do you do?

The goblin is tugged free of the garaba's mouth as it goes sailing over Yon's head and crashes against the deck. A swift kick to the face sends it scurrying away and taking flight, quickly gaining altitude and cutting back into the mist.

"Bastard things!" the goblin spits, then places a hand on your shoulder and looks you squarely in the eye. "I owe you my life, friend. The stories about you are true! You're a real hero! Quickly, you want to save more lives?" he points to the ruined mast. "Garaba attack ships at sea cause they know they have the advantage, the closer we get to land the less likely they are to keep coming in. The ships got an arcane engine, but I'll need to tinker with it to get it running." He points to the other side of the ship at a small metal hatch. "I'll be easy prey whilst I'm working, think you can keep them off me with that famous bow of yours? Or if you know your way around machines, you could go get it started and I'll watch your back?"

Yon, you want to be cover or tinker about yourself? Of course you can ignore the information completely or tell someone more tinkery than you if you want. What do you do?

One of the garaba clashes hard into Bloob's shield, its talons clutching the edges. Long dark claws curve around and cut at his wrists as he holds tight, but it quickly becomes clear that the garaba has chosen to remove what it no doubt views as some kind of shell. It tugs and pulls as hard as it can, struggling against the breeze with its wide wings.

Bloob, you take 2 damage from scratchy claws. The monster is trying to take your shield. If you drop it then you might lose it for a bit, but you can probably get a parting shot at the monster's body (roll damage without having to hack and slash). If you don't want to let it take your shield then it's going to be a battle of strength! What do you do?

The Marquis takes the blow for the Captain, setting his jaw as the creature's teeth dig into his armor. Whilst the teeth are sharp and its jaws are incredibly strong, the Marquis's armor is well crafted and mitigates the majority of the damage. The Captain shufles back and gets to his feet, drawing a longsword from his belt.

"Well held, sir!" he bellows, driving his sword into the monster's side. The garaba writhes and screams around your fist.

Somewhere else on the boat there is a cry of panic and you hear the Captain curse under his breath, then run to help someone else in need.

Marquis, you take 1 0 damage from being chewed a little. The Captain absolutely counts as an ally and you get to take both hold. You currently have an injured, but not quite dead, garaba on your arm. What do you do?

Everyone, when I give you your damage I have already allowed for armor.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq
HP 15/19, Armor 1/1, XP 2/9

In that moment, Qqqqq reasons through the only option available to it, taking the hit and preserving the boat a little longer is the only optimal course of action.

Qqqqq's alien anatomy is rocked (:haw:) from the impact, the taste of black blood fills its mouth. Without warning another Garaba snags Qqqqq, and begins to drag it towards the monster's mouth. Qqqqq maneuvers itself around to face the monster, holding its hand with the cube up in a defensive posture, while slashing out with the wristblade on its other arm.
Hack and Slash 6 +XP
It reflects on the unfortunate circumstances of its captivity leaving it out of fighting shape as the Garaba tongue pulls it inexorably forward.

"This One would appreciate some assistance!" It calls out.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 19, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
HP 26/26, Armor 2, XP 0/9

"Not again," mutters Napelidieu, glancing with trepidation in the direction of Qqqqq. The last time he'd deigned to help the strange creature... ah well, he -probably- isn't going to end up in some strange off-colour place tottering on the edge of oblivion this time.

Probably.

With a grunt, he swings his Garaba-enveloped hands sideways, ceasing to hold on at the same time, and the flailing, wounded monster pops free to scamper and wing its way back into the skies or attack less stubborn prey. Napelidieu is not overly worried; like so many things, the creatures seem cowardly once given a taste of their own medicine. He backs off quickly, then rushes to intercept the flailing Qqqqq, managing to step between the mage and the maw just as the latter is about to clamp down on the tongue-tied former.

"That one is often in need of aid, one notes," he comments, with sour familiarity, over the sound of gnashing teeth scraping metal vambraces.

Defend Qqqqq: 2d6+2 7

Same deal:

-Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself
-Halve the attack’s effect or damage

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

"Yeah I'm a freaking saint."

Yon glances around. The fight could go better, these things seem certainly tough. There was also no real reason to spend more time and resources than necessary before their mission even actually began.

"Yeah, if you could get us out of here, I'd appreciate it. Can't say I know myself around machines though, certainly not magical ones." He draws his bow. "But I do know my way around with this."

He ponders for a second. They didn't exactly gave a biography of every member, but the masked guy certainly knew his way around magic. He scans the ship again until he notices Qqqqq's struggle with the Garaba.

"But give me a second here and I can get you an expert in all things magical". Yon draws an arrow. Killing that Garaba would get the mage's attention.

Yon uses Volley to attack the Garaba that is harassing Qqqqq
Volley (Dex): 2d6+1=12
Damage: 1d8=5

"Yo, over here!"

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Qqqqq takes the brunt of the falling rock, shouldering the boulder and letting it fall harmlessly to the deck, saving the ship but taking some pain in the process. As the garaba's tongue drags him towards its mouth he attempts to lash out, only to find himself yanked off balance. With his head mere inches from the crushing jaws, he prepares for what might be a fatal blow.

Only for The Marquis to interject. He lunges into the garaba's field of vision and thrusts his gauntlet into its mouth. The monster immediately releases the technomagus and slams its jaws shut upon the closer target, but The Maruis's armor once more completely invalidates the attack. Fear, or perhaps animal shock, flashes within the great eye and then The Marquis is being dragged overboard. He grits his teeth and resists.

There is a THUD as an arrow embeds itself in the creature's stomach. It screams in pain, releasing The Marquis and stumbling over the edge. It twitches and flails - still alive as it falls into the waves and sinks in a trail of dark blood.

Marquis, you take 0 damage.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

Qqqqq takes a moment to straighten Its robes before addressing the Marquis.
"This One thanks you for your assistance in this matter. If you could pardon This One for a moment..."It glides across the debris and body part strewn deck towards Yon. "This one thanks you for your assistance in this matter," Qqqqq turns to the diminutive goblin crewman,"What can It do to help you get the ship underway?"

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 20, 2014

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Bloobligloob
HP: 22/24 | Armor: 0 | XP: 1

Bloob releases the shield and takes advantage of the beast when it stumbles back off-balance. A quick slash from the tip of his spear does the trick before the garaba can fly off.

Damage: 1d6 5

Turning his attention to the unfolding chaos across the deck, Bloob makes up his mind. Let the boat-walkers take care of their own trouble. He needs no boat and these things don't look like they can swim. Clutching his spear, Bloob dives underwater, waiting to see how the garabas react before he starts making his way to shore.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With a minor hesitation, the goblin sailor grabs Qqqqq's shoulder and wheels him around to face the metal hatch. It will require a run across the boat to reach and there seem to be more garaba swooping down, then flying back up into the mist than ever.

"See that? You know your arcane-mechanics? The ship has an emergency arcane engine. It's not built to take us far, but it'll get us to the shore if it's working and someone can start it up! Now it's a mongrel system that the last engineer threw together, its not your usual sort of thing, but hopefully you'll be able to work it out. You go in and me and Yon will try and make sure these things stay off you!"

Qqqqq, to cross the deck you can either roll (and face the possibility that something might stop you getting there, OR you can accept something bad happening to you, but you will definitely get to the hatch. Once you get there you need to defy+INT to get everything working.What do you do?

Bloobligloob releases his shield and then rips open his attacker's stomach. Hot blood and guts stream across the surface of the deck as the garaba attempts to fly away. It makes it someway into the air before its wings stop working and it falls from the sky, dropping his shield into the crow's nest of the ship.

The waters are freezing cold, but hold little challenge for Bloob beyond some shivering. Under the water he can see the long serpentine creatures coiling and diving through the ocean. They are strangely beautiful creatures with scales ranging from deep blue to purple, and wide "dancer's fins" that bellow like dresses in the currents. They watch Bloob carefully, but seem to ignore him for the moment.

Bloob, the garaba don't seem to want to follow you under the water. It would be a long way to shore for anyone else, but you're more than capable of making. However, you're down a shield and you're still not ENTIRELY sure about these sea serpents. What do you do?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

Yon addresses Qqqqq and Napelidieu.

"Okay, here is what we are going to do: You and the goblin are going to fix the engine, while his royal majesty here and myself are going to cover you and make sure these things stay at a distance! Everybody agrees? Good"

Yon puts a new arrow on bowstring and readies himself.

Yon uses the Crack Shot move to prepare some awesome archery for the Garabas

Crack Shot (+Dex): 2d6+2=8 Hold 2.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat moves in a flurry, upon facing this creature. Turning about, his spear staying parallel to the line of his body, Jazaat leads it up one of the larger fragments of broken mast that lay jutting out to sea, hanging over the side of the ship - which had not fallen in (yet) because of weight on the other end.

Balancing himself keenly, and using his spear to that effect, Jazaat draws his erstwhile foe onto the beam, before springing into action as he flips over his enemy, kicking the beam sideways as he did it and taking the opportunity to skewer the creature with his spear as he moved over it, twisting the barbed head in the wound before landing deftly back on the ship, and sending the beam (and the critter) sailing off into the dark, cold waters, bleeding heavily.

Hack and Slash (Climbing Spear): 2d6+2 13
Climbing Spear Hack and Slash Damage (Piercing 2): 1d8 7

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 20, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

I choose to roll to get across the boat (I assume it's another Defy Danger) if not I'm happy to edit or do something else.

Qqqqq nods at the goblin. "This One thanks you for you-"
"There's no time! Go now!" The Goblin shrieks. How rude.
Qqqqq glides quickly back across the deck, weaving randomly to avoid creatures and dodge falling debris. It holds its Cube up defensively, ready to unleash spells at the slightest provocation. Qqqqq muses that if it could feel fear, it would probably do so now.
Defy Danger +DEX 10
However it arrives at the engine port unmolested.

With a gesture the Engine hatch lifts and Qqqqq inspects the cobbled together magitech.
Hmmm...A standard Gnosis Engine made from non-standard parts. Functional but lacking in elegance. Unbidden The Tesseract conjures up schematics and manuals within the technomage's mind's eye, as if they were floating before Its eyes. Qqqqq studies Its diagrams and compares them to the engine before It.
Defy Danger +INT 14
There's the problem, a faulty motivator fused to the primary gnostic ignition chamber. An elementary problem, easily remedied. Qqqqq brings Its cube to bear on the problem, with a thought he Cube's slight red glow brightens and a thin red cutting beam strikes out from within its crystal form. The beam makes short work of the motivator, which floats free into a lazy orbit around Qqqqq along with a number of small odds and ends, the beam strikes out a dozen times more, clearing corrosion, scouring contact surfaces and the like as the small bits of metal orbiting Qqqqq begin to spin faster, their shapes deforming as they begin to glow with heat, pieces join together and shape themselves without any obvious input from the alien. within seconds, a brand new motivator module and several other small items float silently between Qqqqq's outstretched hands, The glowing metal deepening as it cools.

With a dismissive gesture the entire engine block separates and floats up out of its mooring, taking on that same slow spin, it disassembles itself in mid-air, a cloud of metal objects, the newly fabricated components join this cloud and once more in a flurry of spinning parts the engine flies back together. Some parts are shiny and new looking, others still showing some wear, and overall the engine has a slightly different configuration than it had before. The engine lowers back into it's mooring as cables and bolts attach and tighten as if an entire team of invisible hands is working at top speed. There's a KA-THUNK and a another, and finally a high-pitched whine as the gnosis chamber begins spinning, gaining speed and starting to glow a normal blue as it begins to generate energy and thrust.

"This one has repaired the engines, It has also increased the efficiency of the engine design by 3%."

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Napelidieu frowns at Yon Bonné from across the deck. 'His royal majesty'? That bastard. No sense of shame or decency, bringing that old business up.

"As your once and future liege, I'll just keep to stuffing these motherkilling Garaba with my fists, why don't I? Any takers?! Come on, you fat yellow pig bladders!" he yells, partly to rid himself of excess frustration with the mercenary, but also to attract more attention from the swarming monstrosities. While Napelidieu seems exposed, standing up in the middle of the boat, taunting the garaba, any of the creatures foolish enough to assault him or the next guy over would quickly learn otherwise.

For a trained man in plate can use his whole body to advantage, the extra weight and heft afforded by the metal dressings not only good for protection, but capable of being used offensively. Gauntleted fists strike in a flurry of solid blows. Elbows and vambraces wedge themselves into toothed maws to little evident harm except the odd tooth getting knocked out. The kick of steel-toed boots... enough to make eyes water in sympathy. Napelidieu knows many of these tricks, and is always eager to learn more, for experience has taught him that mistress melee is not kind and that one cannot count on always having a weapon at hand.

Defend self or closest needy nearby: 2d6+2 10

-Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself (if able)
-Open up the attacker to an ally giving that ally +1 forward against the attacker (taken instead of/in addition to the above)
-Halve the attack's effect or damage
-Deal damage to the attacker equal to your level

(Sooner or later the garabas will realize that as long as Napelidieu isn't himself being targeted, he'll keep stuffing himself down their mouths long enough for someone else to gut them. I almost feel for them. All they want is a meal, but they're being force-fed steel knuckle sandwiches.)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"Eeeesh," the goblin groans, sticking his tongue out nervously. "Okay, I guess I'll go too. Be ready with that famous bow of yours, okay?"

He glances to Qqqqq as Yon prepares his weapon, clearly not entirely happy about the lack of readable features. "There's no time! Go now!" he shrieks. How rude.

Qqqqq and the goblin charge across the desk. The diving garaba zero in on the two dashing targets with renewed hunger, but through a combination of speed and quick reflexes, both of the pair make it safely across the ship to the hatch. Qqqqq manages to gain a quick glimpse of the rest of the crew, for whom the attack seems to be going less well.

The Captain is nursing one shoulder where his clothing has been ripped and blood is pouring down one arm. The bird-headed sailor is managing to fend off a garaba with his cutlass, but it looks as if it will only be a matter of time before its talons get through his defences. As he watches, one of the third sailor's flintlocks jam, and he tosses it away, cursing. On the plus side he makes a good shot with his remaining weapon, and another garaba falls away and vanishes into the ocean.

With expert precision, the technomage fixes, then improves the arcane engine. The goblin offers some basic assistance, but there is little required. There is a CA-CHUNK as the hatch closes itself, then a series of glowing blue glyphs float through the metal and into the air. The whole ship violently shudders as magical energies coarse through wires running along each flank. Then there is a roar and the ship begins gently accelerating forward. The goblin pats Qqqqq on the back.

"Good work! Now someone needs to go steer!" he points to a glowing wheel of light that has materialised at the rear of the ship. However, it is on a raised platform and though they have not attacked it - all the garaba seem aware of its presence.

Unfortunately neither notice the garaba dropping on them from directly above!

As if there is not enough to worry about, a heavy rock strikes the deck, dropped from far too high in the mist to even see the garaba responsible. It doesn't break the wood, but it warps the deck for sure. There may be more boulders coming. A second later a dark shadow falls across Jazaat, just as he lands once more. Something else is coming and whatever it is, its big!

Qqqqq, nice work. What do you do?

Yon, probably time to spend that hold. Question is, who do you help? The sailors? Qqqqq and the goblin? Help both targets a little, or make sure to save one? Your choice. What do you do?

The Marquis, you've got the hold, who do you help? You also think about the possibility of trying to light up the sky a little now that there is arcane electricity powering the boat. Search for a way of doing it? Ask someone? So many options! What do you do?

Jazaat, you're in the way of whatever has been dropped. What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq
HP 15/19, Armor 1/1, XP 3/9

"With more time and proper tools, This One could improve further on the engine, increasing yields as high as 64.398% over current efficiencies...oh!" Qqqqq is drawn out of his reverie by the sound of the large rock hitting the deck. All at once It notices the continued peril of the crew and Its companions, to say nothing of the Garaba diving from above.

Vexing.

The alien calls out to the others.
"Jazaat, with your quickness you are best suited to reach the piloting wheel, Marquis should go with you to protect you while you pilot the boat. Yon and This One should continue to shoot them out of the sky. Where is Bloob?"

Once more, Qqqqq raises Its hand, and presents the Cube floating above Its open palm. The crimson glow of the Cube intensifies and...
Magic Missile 4 +XP :suicide:

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Bloobligloob
HP: 22/24 | Armor: 0 | XP: 1

Bloob has spent his entire life in the northern waters. It's not his realm of expertise, but perhaps there's something about the strange sea-serpents he can recall..

Spout Lore: 2d6-1 3 +1 XP

..or not. The serpents are quickly forgotten as the arcane engines aboard the ship begin firing up. Bloob swims under and around the vessel, easily keeping pace as it heads to shore. The finer points of protecting the ship are left up to Bloob's allies, but so long as the ship is in the vicinity he can spare a little help. Bloob looses a short, sharpened javelin from his bundle and hurls it at the screeching, circling creatures as soon as he breaks the surface of the choppy, frigid waters. The throw is imprecisely aimed, made only to distract the garaba rather than inflict any real damage.

Distraction - Dex: 2d6+1 9

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat ignored what lay above him, in a sense, but he turned to Qqqqq, nodded and began to move once more, incidentally escaping whatever was attempting to land on him as he leapt from mast to rigging to deck to railing, tumbling and hopping and evading his way towards the wheel, his spear with him at all times, occasionally being used to adjust his direction or give himself an extra chance to climb as he moved across the ship.

Defy Danger (Dex): 2d6+2 7

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné
HP: 14 Armor: 0 Ammo: 6 XP: 0 Hold: 2

With the repair operation going over so smoothly and without any aerial interference, Yon quickly scans the ship for a fresh target. He sees Jazaat dodging everything in his path and quickly making his way to the magic steering wheel. He is seem save, for now. His attention goes to the Captain and the birdish sailor still trying to keep the flying creatures at bay. They could probably need some assistance.

Yon attacks the Garaba that is attacking the bird.

Volley(+Dex): 2d6+2=10

Damage: 1d8=4

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The arcane weapon in Qqqqq's hand glows as it powers up, only to be extinguished without warning as he is plucked from the deck. A pair of vices close around his shoulders and sharp talons dig into his muscular arms as he is dragged kicking and flailing away from the ship and into the air. The garaba holding him in its clutches screams in victory whilst Qqqqq waits for an arrow that doesn't arrive. Searching the deck (rapidly falling away from beneath him), he notices Yon firing at another target and saving the bird-headed sailor. Other garaba seem to notice that one of their flock has a morsel, and several turn their attention from the ship to Qqqqq, giving chase!

You are being dragged away! Your arms are tightly grasped outwards and that's preventing you from using your weapon. What do you do?

Yon draws back the string of his bow and fires an arrow directly towards the garaba attacking the bird sailor. It slices cleanly and precisely through the air, driving directly into the beast's flank. The garaba howls, but ignores the attack as it goes to bite the bird's head from the sailor's body. Luckily he is saved at the last moment. A spear leaps from the ocean and lands in the wooden rail with a THUNK. The garaba wheels towards the sound, allowing the sailor to drive his cutlas directly through its back. It falls into the water with a plop.

Yon, there are several things occurring. What do you do?

Bloob's distracting shot saves the sailors life, but before he can celebrate he notices a chance in the sea serpent's behaviour. The sounds of soft moans, like those of a whale, gently rummble through the waves. In a loose pack the serpents tilt their long heads downward and begin to dive deeper and deeper into the freezing waters. Their fins angle out to provide little resistance and soon they are merely shadows vanishing into the faint depths. In fact,there seems to be very little marine fauna present now, even for waters so cold....

Bloob, what do you do?

Jazaat leaps and vaults away just as a huge frozen rock strikes the deck. There is a mighty crunch as the wood breaks inwards, leaving a large hole in the top level of the ship. The Captain screams in panic, but the floor below holds. Nevertheless the weight of the lump of ice and stone considerably shifts the weight of the ship. It continues flowing onward, but its rhythm is now off with the waves and it appears to be moving more sluggishly. Jazaat makes it to the glowing wheel. Sparks of arcane energy dance against his fingertips as he draws close - whatever had been done to the ship's engine had left it incredibly powerful but extremely unstable. He smells burning sulfur and static as he reaches out to steer. There is a flash and Jazaat finds himself held in place as bolts run up his arms.

There is a scream as a garaba descends straight for him, its talons clutching the air and its tail streaming behind it. Its trajectory seems to be taking it straight for him!

Jazaat, things are going badly. Hole in the boat, people disappearing overboard, etc. You can try and steer the ship towards the island and hope that somebody else protects your rear end, or you can concentrate on pulling yourself free and defending yourself. Both probably require defy+STR, but this is magic we're talking about, may be you want to use your magical brains instead. What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq
HP 15/19, Armor 1/1, XP 4/9

Qqqqq assesses Its circumstances as the creature carries It out over open water. A water landing is likely survivable. Qqqqq attempts to force the talons gripping It to release through main force.
Defy Danger +STR 6 +XP wooooooow
Unfortunately a life dedicated to research and magical study, and several decades in a prison cell, has left Qqqqq unable to break Its bonds.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné
HP: 14 Armor: 0 Ammo: 6 XP: 0 Hold: 1

Out of the corner of his eyes, Yon sees the big Garaba striking down, grabbing the masked wizard and dragging him away, into the foggy sky. Without a moment's hesitation, he spring around and sends yet another arrow after the creature. The arrow hits with a sturdy 'thud' right under the Garaba's left axilla.

Volley (+Dex): 2d6+2=11

Damage:1d8=8

Yon uses the Peacemaker ability of his Crack Shot move to force the creature to drop what it is holding at the cost of 1 hold.

e X fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

Finding Itself in free fall as the Guraba holding It dies. Qqqqq braces for impact in the cold northern waters.
Defy Danger +CON 11
Luckily Its armor was able to take the impact, Qqqqq only had to deal with the shocking cold. Without hesitation It swims for the boat, the Cube safely stored on Its belt, and wristblade retracted.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Bloobligloob
HP: 22/24 | Armor: 0 | XP: 2

Gloob pays the disappearing serpents little heed, but the lack of other sea life does put him on edge. He can't place the reason why, or what the lack of sea life might entail, but there are more important things to focus on for the moment. For example, the splashing form of Qqqqq as It hits the sea. Coming to Its aid, Bloob holds out his spear haft-first. Once the techno-mage grabs on, he pulls It back towards the boat, ever watchful for potential threats that might come swooping out of the sky.

Aid Another: 2d6+1 11
How you'd like us to handle Aid/Interfere rolls, Captain_Indigo? Should we be applying the bonuses/penalties to the next roll the character we're aiding/interfering with takes, or their previous roll?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat changed his stance to call upon the sinewy strength packed within his relatively thin, yet tall frame, and for once deigned to speak. "We must make it! Cover me!" he exclaimed, his voice course and rough-edged, as he glanced towards those who could assist in his time of need.

Even so, he forced the wheel to move with his motions and directed the vessel towards shore.

Defy Danger (Str): 2d6+2 12

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 22, 2014

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Qqqqq struggles in the garaba's claws, but to no avail. The monster's strength seems vastly improved by the winds soaring against its wings, as if these tense its very muscles. Fortunately, the technomage is not alone. An arrow pierces the soft flesh stretched between the leg and body, vanishes into the creature and then exits with a burst of gore from the top of its head. Its talons go instantly limp and Qqqqq finds himself falling towards the waters. He braces for the hit. The ocean strikes him like solid rock, but his powerful body absorbs the blow. A stich is thrust beneath his arm pits and soon the fishman is returning him towards the ship.

Yon, describe the arrows you are currently using. Hell post a picture if you can find one.

Bloob, I use Aid rolls to affect past things. Since Qqqqq already got 10+ on his con roll helping him here has no mechanical affect, but its still an nice thing to do. In this case I'll let Qqqqq take a +1 to his next roll, but from here it will be retroactive.

Qqqqq, you avoid taking damage for your FAILURE roll, but what's great about Dungeon World is that it lets me do this:

Suddenly the ocean waters begin dragging at Bloob and Qqqqq. Thick currents begin pulling them back from the safety of the ship's starboard and away in the distance of the island. The few fish remaining in sight vanish back as if being drawn on invisible wires. As they glance over their shoulders they see a terrifying sight.

A large fish is swimming for them, its sharp fins and tail slashing through the water like blades. Its face is a cluster of rocky outcrops and crystaline structures. As they watch, it sails straight for one of the bobbing garaba corpses. It opens its mouth and sucks the bulbous body into its jaws. The moment the blood cloud goes near it, the hard outcrops on its head seem to glow gently. It frantically thrashes about in the water, then flies towards another corpse. Once more it is made ecstatic by the presence of a garaba's blood. Just as the pair think they might have a chance to get to the ship, the dead body of the garaba that took Qqqqq from the deck plops into the water between them. Blood oozes from the entrance and exit wound of the arrow. The fish moves its face backwards and fowards, as if sensing something - then it rushes towards them!

Qqqqq, Bloob, its coming for you and its somehow dragging you back towards it by the current! What do you do!?

Back on the ship Jazaat forces the wheel around with all his might. Blue lightning rolls up and down his arms, shocking his flesh and lightly searing his clothes. The ship begins to turn until the nose points directly for the island. The water churns violently some distance from the ship but there is little time to consider its relevance as the garaba swoops in to attack.

Jazaat, you've done what you needed to do but the garaba is still coming in. You're too busted from the magic to defend yourself and timing wise Yon is still busy saving Qqqqq at this point. That means its probably up to The Marquis so let him make a post (if he wants to save you)

As the ship begins to slowly gain speed more rocks and ice fall from above, though none are large enough to do much damage. The winds howl and snow begins to swirl inside the mists. Without warning a garaba flies directly into what remains of the mast. It wraps its talons around the central beam and squeezes, cracking the wood. There is a creak and then the whole mast is tilting and coming down. The Captain, Yon, and the goblin are all within its shadow as it comes down.

Yon, what do you do?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Watch out!" screams Napelidieu, barrelling past Yon, the goblin and the captain, throwing each to the side as he passes them on his way towards the toppling mast, meeting it head on, bracing and pushing at it with his arms raised, like an overly ambitious flag-planter, his muscles and body straining in an attempt to force it and its tangle of rigging to come down off the side of anything important.

Anything important other than himself, at any rate.

Spending a hold each on the goblin, Yon, and the captain to redirect the attack to me. Then I spend the one (three?) hold I gain from Defending an ally to halve the effect and damage of the (three?) attack.

Jazaat, sorry man, you're on your own. You need to learn the meaning of true suffering.

(The meaning of true suffering according to Napel involves lots and lots of actual suffering.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

As the gargantuan Diamond-Shark bears down on Qqqqq and Bloob, the wizard extends Its wristblade and calls Its Cube to hand. With a thought, Qqqqq's Cube begins to spin.

Defend 12 3-hold
Halve the attack’s effect or damage (Confusing and disorienting the beast)
Open up the attacker to an ally giving that ally +1 forward against the attacker (hit it Bloob!)
Deal damage to the attacker equal to your level (2 damage from destructive sonar)

The Cube's glow steadily increases as the Cube blurs with motion, vibrating through the water a faint thrumming sound can be heard. Blindingly bright and too fast for the eye to follow, the Cube continues its spinning, cavitating and churning the water around it in a chaotic mass of bubbles and rip currents that tear up the water for dozens of feet around. The low thrumming sound has been speeding up and increasing pitch until it reaches ultrasonic levels. The Cube pings out a pure sonar harmonic that shrieks through the surrounding water.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The Marquis moves with the speed and strength of a much younger man. His armor clanks and rattles as he throws his allies roughly aside. There is a creak, a shatter, and the sound of snapping ropes as the mast tumbles down. Mustering all his strength, The Marquis takes the full brunt of the blow, then pushes the mast aside. It is perhaps heavier than he expects, but his armor holds strong and he is able to throw the wooden beam aside. Some blood begins to trickle through the gaps in his armor, but for now he remains alive and kicking. The rest of the squad can see how fierce an opponent the man must have been in the civil war. However, for all his speed and strength, his precision in pushing under urgency is a little lacking...

The Marquis, you take 10 damage, 5 damage. What do you do?

The goblin sailor hits the deck on his back as The Marquis pushes him. He draws a spanner from his toolbelt and expertly knocks away a garba's claws as it dives in on him. You hear him cursing and panicking as the monster lands on the deck. It side steps and ducks as he clambers to his feet and two stand, waiting to strike, neither quite ready to make the first move.

There is a splash as The Captain hits the wooden railing and goes tumbling over into the water.

Yon is pushed backwards by The Marquis and avoids being struck by the beam....by falling down the stairs! He lands in a heap surrounded by doorways to cabins and various other rooms. The mast now lays across the way back up to the deck, so if Yon wants to return to the battle he will have to climb up through the hole made by the boulder. On the other hand it strikes him that most of the supplies are here - if the ship sinks and the squad are forced to swim, they will be landing cold and without a lot of their equipment.

Yon, you take 1 damage. You can either Defy+STR to push the mast aside and climb up, or Defy+DEX to leap out of the hole in the deck. As always, you can also do something else. What do you do?

Jazaat is struck hard by the garaba swooping in. Its talons shred his chest and he is momentarily left hanging on the edge of the desk. Blood drips through his clothes as the monster tries to get a better grip. Pushed off balance and with very little room to move, the walker eyes the churning waters beneath him....

Jazaat, take 5 damage and then retaliate, OR take 3 damage and let the monster push you overboard? What do you do?

A sonic wave cuts through the water leaving a growing ring of froth and bubbles. It strikes the diamond shark in the face, momentarily dazing it. It twists and turns in the water then continues its charge for the two. Without warning there is a splash from above, and the Captain appears. He looks at you with stunned surprise, then thrashes with panic at the sight of the approaching predator. As he struggles in the water, thing cloud of blood begin to seep from his clothes.

Qqqqq thrusts his wristblade into the shark's side as its roars up to them. It twists and turns in the water, giving Bloob a chance to strike. Rather than snap at any of the three in the water, the shark thrusts its crystaline head into the side of the ship. There is an unpleasant crack, but it seems that Qqqq's sonic blast has left it slightly weakened, and the shark does not breach the bottom of the ship! Phew!

Blood, you can go for it with a +1.

Qqqqq, the Captain's thrashing is exciting the shark and he is bleeding into the water. What do you do?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné
HP: 13/14 Armor: 0 Ammo: 6 XP: 0 Hold: 1

Yon shakes his head to get the dirt out of his hair and looks around till he finds his hat int he dim twilight under deck. His struggles on his feet and takes a look around, inspecting the damage and getting an impression of the supplies they have at their disposal.

Yon Discerns Realities

Discern Realities: 2d6+1 8

I'd like to know what is about to happen?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

HP: 14/19 Armor 1/1 XP 0/9

Jazaat grunted as his dull grey blood started to escape him, concentrating for a moment (his spear strapped to his back right now but no use in such short circumstances) he flicked out his knife, as he hooked one leg about the railing of the ship and used the other to pin down the fierce creature that was attacking him as attempted to carve into it hopefully gutting it then and there, the jagged edge of his knife ripping apart its innards and spilling its fell blood.

Hack and Slash (Survival Knife): 2d6+2 10
Survival Knife Hack and Slash Damage: 1d8 6

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

Qqqqq streaks through the water, grasping the captain and helping him tread water, ever mindful of the Shark and the remaining Garaba circling overhead.
"Be calm Captain, This One is here to assist you."

The Technomage gathers Its wits and begins enacting a plan protect the pair from the Diamond Shark.
Defend 8 1-hold
Halve the attack’s effect or damage

With a hum, The Cube once more begins to rotate, in a flash there are three illusory copies of The captain and the mage, all thrashing the water and making a distracting noise.

• Locked thread