Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

As Yon attempts to make nice to the huge blue troll before him, Jazaat rolls away as quickly and gracefully as he can. The troll's face creases into a broad smile as he reaches out and effortlessly plucks the rolling figure out of the air. His huge green hands crush the air from Jazaat's throat as his fingers lace around his neck. He lifts him up and holds him before his dumb, ecstatic face.

"FRIENDS!" he says. "Hello friends!"

He looks up at the hole in the ceiling, then laughs with the intensity and lack of self-conciousness of a baby. His thick arms shake, smacking JAzaat against the wall.

"You come be friends?!"

Jazaat takes 3 damage and is rapdily running out of air, but the troll seems friendly...perhaps too friendly. Yon, Jazaat, what do you do?

The Marquis weaves his own strange magics in response to the gnoll caster, dropping safely and unharmed to the ground. A pair of arrows strike him in the chest as he lands, but both ricochet off harmlessly - his armor far stronger than the bone. The gnoll caster barks some orders to the gathered pack and they split down the middle, wheeling around and setting out to form two flanks on either side of the clearing.

The gnolls are moving to take advantage of the terrain, what do you do?

The gnoll leaper finds its attack striking the armored fish man, rather than the eyeless mage. It yelps in suprise as its sabre strikes the shield as opposed to flesh. Bloob feels only a brief stab of pain as he retaliates, but the gnoll is sent scurrying back. An archer in the back rows of the splitting pack is struck with crimson energy and turns to dust without a chance to howl.

Bloob takes 2 damage. The scimitar gnoll is getting away, but an archer goes down. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Bloobligloob
HP: 20/24 | Armor: 2 | XP: 2

Bloob hisses with anger as the sword-wielding gnoll scampers away, but it fades away when he realizes Qqqqq's target. Given the circumstances, aiming for the archers is probably the better plan. "I can help. Keep watch for ones that get close." Hefting his spear overhead, Bloob sets his sights on the fleeing gnoll before letting the weapon fly.

Spear Throw: 2d6+1 7
-The spear's shaft is damaged, take -1 ongoing to Spear Throw.
Damage: 1d6 2

Bloob darts forward to recover the spear, grumbling as he notes the splintered crack near the center of the shaft. Bloob's spear is carved from one of the spines of a massive fish's dorsal fin, and grooves and designs cover its length. In retrospect that might not have been very good for the weapon's integrity. "Attack or defend?" He rumbles, looking back to the technomage for guidance.

I think my opportunity strikes only work on the same target Qqqqq is aiming for, but he killed the archer anyway so w/e.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The way I read the move is either the target I attack, or if someone attacks me.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
bump

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné
HP: 14/14 Armor: 0 Ammo: 6 XP: 1 Quiver: 3

Yon moves his arms up and down in what he hopes is a universally understood gesture to calm down and let go of whatever you hold in your hands.

"Yes, friends, we are all friends here, the friendliest friends you will ever know. Now put the nice little assassin down", he says while slwoly backing away, out of reach of the trolls gigantic arms and fists.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 20, 2014

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Mendicant Jazaat

HP: 8/19 Armor 1/1 XP 1/9

Deciding that the current situation is unsuitable, Jazaat decides to take a two-pronged method of surviving, while being merciful. "Yes... friends.. let... friends... down." he says slowly and delicately, using simple words as one might use to talk to a child - although in this case the child is gigantic and very strong, as he does so he attempts to slip out of the ogre's grip, using a combination of his physical power and his mercurial nature to push himself free and out of the top of the ogre's grip.

Defy Danger (Str/Dex (doesn't matter which)): 2d6+2 12

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 20, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
"Marquis" Napelidieu Du Brous
HP 20/26, Armor 2, XP 0/9

The Marquis pauses, seeing the gnolls split up. The current approach is not working as well as he would like: rather than facing him down, the damned creatures were now flanking and bypassing him to get at the less well-armored among his group. After putting three down, albeit two momentarily, and throwing off the gnoll magicker's curse, he had expected a more frantic response to his actions, but that is clearly not the way this tribe operates. Grinding his teeth together, the ex-noble attempts to make sense of their tactics and peg down the leader that was surely coordinating his fellows, mumbling swiftly to himself under his breath as he does.

"Bah, why don't these fuzzies wuss off already? Let's see. Skirmishing warriors. Flanking attempts. Ambush and magick tricks. Don't hold up well in a close-up fight with a heavyweight, so they don't stick around for it either. Guess they've got a canny 'un up top. Crack his skull, the rest should see wisdom, if they've got brains. Question is, which one's their big toff? Magicker's a good candidate, but not guaranteed... damnation, outta time. Hey! Bloob, Queque, you know which one of this sorry band's their chief?!"

Discern Realities: 2d6 6

Unless Bloob or QQQQQ can throw me a retroactive Aid Another to squeak this one by, I don't get to figure out "Who’s really in control here?" and then kick his rear end. This makes me sad, so please do and I promise to aid you in turn whenever you ask me.

As a side note, I find it hilarious that Yon's response is essentially that the other person falling from the ceiling is just your friendly neighborhood assassin, no worries. :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq
HP 9/19, Armor 1/1, XP 7/9

Without comment, the alien mage agrees with the Marquis' outlook, someone or something is controlling this pack, and picking them off is most logical.

One silent mental command later, and the Cube floats up, up above Qqqqq's head by several meters, a crimson flash leaving the afterimage of a line moving counterclockwise around itself.
Aiding Marquis 7
Here you go Marquis!
Out in the darkness beyond the camp's firelight, a bright, glowing red, symbol appears over the head of something, which makes a surprised sound.
Qqqqq cannot make out the marked target, It simply holds out one hand for the Cube to float gently down its customary orbit, and with the other hand, It points in the direction of the red sign.
"There." the technomage intones.

I just started a new job and I've been pretty wiped by the time I get home, sorry for lateposting.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Bloob launches his spear deep into the chest of a gnoll archer. Charging in and retrieving his slightly splintered weapon, he is set upon by the surrounding pack. Daggers and short swords thick with rust bounce harmlessly from his armored body, but he is quickly overpowered and drops to the floor as the mostly harmless blows clobber him.

Bloob, you are unharmed, but the pack is closing in around you and attacking. What do you do?

Qqqq's floating crimson beacon alights behind the head of a larger gnoll at the back of the pack. Whilst the others have been attacking and yapping, she has remained cloaked within the shadows. Her eyes carry a sly canine intelligence. She carries a simple crossbow, ornate and lacking the rust and wear that seem to mark the other weapons. Noticing the beacon above her head, she falls back and barks instructions to her allies. Those not attacking Bloob immediately fall back into defensive ranks.

Slowly, they begin to advance. Gnolls are usually dangerous due to being scrappy and agressive, not due to control and you can see that several of the pack seem uncertain about this 'tactics'.

The Marquis, the flanking has been cancelled by your clever decision to find the leader - but now getting to them will be tough. What do you do?

Yon manages to wriggle free of the frost-troll's grasp and scurries out of reach. The troll's face scrunches up in concentration for a moment whilst he scratches his large behind with one huge hand. He sniffs the air nosily, looks up at the hole in the ceiling and laughs like an amused baby.

"Friends fall inside house! Come here to friend! Friends want food? What friends want?"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

Yon looks around the room frantic. It was important that their presence stayed hidden, though he doubted the troll would be able to identify either of them if anyone would come to question him. Which meant not only could they let him live, they could even probe him for information about the surroundings. If they could endure his way of talking that is.

"Food sounds nice. And while we eat you might tell us a thing or two about this lovely island you live on", he says in a calm and collected voice. best not to disturbed the strong creature in any way. At the same time, he start to look around the small hut to see if he spots anything that can tell him more about their host or anything of interest in general.

Discern Realities (+Wis): 2d6+1 9

What here is not what it appears to be?

e X fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 26, 2014

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
HP 20/26, Armor 2, XP 0/9

Seeing the leader revealed under QQQQQ's targeting beacon, the Marquis breaks out into a grin, which only grows wider as she calls much of her pack back to heel in response. Sure, he can no longer easily reach her... but two-thirds of his group still can.

"Things not going to plan, m'dear? Seems your meatshield could use some work!" he calls mockingly after the retreating gnoll leader, then turns and charges through the snow, to Bloob's aid, bodychecking a gnoll who was about to aim for the fish-person's head with a red-tinted shortsword. He continues by waving his long-knife wildly and threateningly between them to force their attention away from Bloob and onto the blade-wielding armsman who's suddenly turned up in their grill.

"Up yer go, mer-man! Tally ho, Que! Blast and skewer that bitch! If she survives she'll think twice, if she's dead and that don't scatter the pack, at least they'll make fools of themselves more!" he suggests in-between thumps, growls and the scraping sound of bone against metal.

Defend (Bloob): 2d6+2 9

Speaking of meatshields, holding on to what's precious means I get one more Hold, so:

*Redirect an attack from the thing you defend to yourself
*Halve the attack’s effect or damage

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 2, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm super wiped, update incoming tomorrow.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat relaxed for a moment, although the tension was there he underplayed his body language in order to appear less threatening. Sometimes merely not being seen is not enough, sometimes it requires hiding in plain sight.

Still, he thought back to the various trainings he undertook as a part of his organisation... he is sure that they covered some important things regarding these creatures.

Spout Lore: 2d6+0 11

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq
HP 19/19, Armor 1/1, XP 7/9

Expressing trepidation at the gnolls' new found organization, It grabs a small vial of reddish liquid from Its belt, slotting the potion into a receptacle on Its chestplate. (Using my Healing Potion to heal 10HP)

"This One shall assist." Qqqqq intones.
With a gesture and a clicking bizarre pattern of sound punctuated by occasional whalesong-like moans, Bloob's spearhead beginning to glow with heat.
Arcane Art 8
Bloob gets +1d4 forward to damage, but you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...
Bloobligloob
HP: 20/24 | Armor: 2 | XP: 2

Bloob shuffles to his webbed feet, nodding to the Marquise in gratitude after the man fends off the gnoll horde. Loosing a javelin from the bundle he keeps on his back, the fish-man twirls the sharpened piece of wood as Qqqqq's magic sets the tip alight. Forcing his way through the pack would take time, but a well-aimed throw just might end the creatures' advance.

Setting his sights on the crossbow-wielding leader, Bloob rears back his arm and hurls the flaming spear through the air!

Volley: 2d6+1 9
Damage: 1d6+1d4 7

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
OH SNAP! :ohdear::respek::coolfish:

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Whoops - thought I was waiting on someone still!

As the two begin to speak in slower and calmer tones, the frost troll becomes noticably relaxed. His ears droop down to become like those of a donkey and a broad smiles spreads across his face.

"Friends can stay here for night cause cold come!" the troll says with a gently giggle. "Stay night and in morning help!"

Yon's eyes slowly drift over the hut until he spots something. Gloves. Big gloves. Two pairs of big gloves. It seems that this friendly soul does not live alone...

Meanwhile Jazaat tries to recall any information from his training. Frost trolls are rare creatures and only found at the outskirts of the earth, but he recalls something from one training session.

"Alright maggots, what we've got here is a troll. Now they come in all shapes and sizes - this ones pretty big for what his breed. One thing theys all got in common, regardless of type, is that they dont like being set on fire. You cut them they'll bleed a little but the wound will close up quick as you can say oh my god my legs, you flick a match into that wound and it's not closing ever!"

From outside the hut you hear another pair of heavy footsteps approaching...

Yon, Jazaat, what do you do?

The Marquis charges through the rabble, raising his sword to gain the attention of his enemies. He weaves around Blood, taking the heat for the fishman and rendering the attack as little more than a couple of dents in his armor.

Bloob sees the tip of his spear glow red, leans back, and launches the weapon across the open ice. The spear sails true, a red comet over the heads of the gnolls, to thrust through their leader's chest.

The gnoll leader yelps, barks, stumbles back, then collapses to the ground. She is not dead, but she is close. The gathered gnolls howl and scream in unison before seeping back into the shadows, then the night, leaving any bodies where they lie.

The Marquis, you take 2 damage!

Fight over. Good job. What do you do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

Without a word the strange mage glides over to the dying leader, intent on discerning the means through which she exercized such precise control over her minions. And also to interrogate, loot, and put down the gnoll leader.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
BUMP!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

Jazaat thought quickly, his heart pounding and his mind racing at the myriad of possibilities of who or what could be approaching.

After pausing for the briefest of moments, Jazaat spoke, his tone hushed but... seemingly friendly. "I am No-One and this is No-Body." said Jazaat, gesturing lightly at Yon, "But alas, we must go now. It was good to meet you." he said once more, before waving and hopping out of a window, gesturing at Yon to take a similar egress.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
HP 18/26, Armor 2, XP 0/9

The searing of the Marquis' scar fades the moment the gnolls turn to run, lethal action no longer on their minds, but the warrior's body language only gradually relaxes in response; he not foolish enough to trust in its supernatural protection entirely. Once the gnolls have retreated a distance, Napelidieu stoops to wipe the blood from his blade in the pristine snow, then follows in QQQQQ's footsteps.

"Right, that's the rabble routed. Good work, Bloob, Que-que. Captain, mechanic, you all right? Anyone in need of attention?" he asks, addressing both his comrades-in-mission and the ship's crew as he trudges over to the gnoll chief.

"How about you? Will it bark, or beg, in a civilized tongue? If so, pay attention, you unfortunate enemy mine. We have bandages, even healing magics: potion or spell. Do you know anything in terms of the lay of this isle and how things are elswhere in the Frijlands? Given that we've stranded here, I though we might want to head towards the closest outpost; they're building a railway, last I heard. Knowledge of how to get there and the dangers involved on such a journey would be appreciated, and a trade for your life is not something I am averse to," he says as he bends down to pick up and examine the fallen gnoll's crossbow.

Haha, doing an Odysseus, I see. Remember well how that turned out for him. :v:

Anyway, I'm going to chat with the dying(?) gnoll chieftess and Parley, with leverage being her life. People try killing the Marquis all the time, so he's not that big on holding grudges over it. Bloob's dying anyway and QQQQQ is an amoral arcanist, so I don't think any of the present parties would be all that opposed to the idea either. Feel free to interject if you are, mind.

Parley (gnoll chief): 2d6+2 8

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm after loot and knowledge, in that order. Marquis is taking the lead here.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

Without hesitation, Yon darts around and starts to climb up to the broken sky, trying to get out before the second troll has a chance to see them.

I’m Not There (+WIS): 2d6+1 7

I choose to get out without problem.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
BUMP!

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Qqqqq moves in to examine the dying leader of the frost-bitten pack. Her eyes are dull and opening and closing rapidly as she lays there, twitching in the snow. A cursery glance over her reveals nothing in particular. A long, black tongue slips out from beneath her jaws and hangs limp below her chin as she stares up at the stars. She mutters something - probably some type of prayer, and you catch hints of common in her words.

The Gnoll peers up at The Marquis mistrustfully, her snout wrinkling and her lips peeling back from her sharp teeth. Her breath is far more pleasant than that of most monsters - flavored by some exotic herb it seems.

"Yooou, smell of death," she chokes at The Marquis. With one claw she scratches a simple circle in the ice beside her, then places her palm against it. Without warning a shock of pain shoots through The Marquis' chest as his scar momentarily flares to life. The gnoll chuckles at his surprise, then wipes the circle clear. "Yoooou bested the pack squarely, foreigner. The pups and whelps will hiss that you used treachery and trickery but that's why they are pups and whelps. Come, let me drink of the healing waters and we can talk of this.... road of rails you speak of."

Her eyes shoot a brief glance across the bridge to the mainland, and a knowing smile spreads unpleasantly across her face.

Q5, you can talk to her if you want or put her down or roll to find out more if you desire.

The Marquis, on closer inspection the crossbow is only just better than trash. It will fire and the aim seems alright - but you won't fetch any coin for it.

The frost troll stares at the two nameless and empty phantoms in his hut, then nods in slow acceptance of the truth - he is alone in his hut. He knows this, afterall, because he was specifically told so by the things that weren't there! As Medicant and Yon leap from the window there is a tangle, a complex splaying of limbs, and then a snap of rope. Two figures, No-body and No-one plummet down the side of the cliff towards jagged ice.

Jazaat, Yon,Ruh-roh! Whatcha gonna do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
i meant put her down as in 'kill her' but she may be more valuable alive if she wants to talk. Will try and get a full post up tonight.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
HP 18/26, Armor 2, XP 0/9

The Marquis puts aside the crossbow and makes an ugly grimace as the gnoll chieftess performs her little ritual. Only a few things set off his scar; mortal danger the chief of these. Whatever the chieftess had done, however, the Marquis didn't think it involved physical danger; probably some kind of magic probe or ward of her own, reacting to his. The surprise fades quickly into a more casual, satisfied look as the enemy leader has at least the wisdom or decency to admit they were beat, and by a wide margin.

"Hmph. I'll have to change my aftershave, then," he comments, more for the benefit of the others, than the gnoll, who has obviously realized the magical nature surrounding him, or his scar.

"Regardless, we have an accord. You can tell your pups and whelps that tricks and trickery--who ambushed who here, again?--are best backed by something a little more substantial than whines and whimpers and that wizards and veterans are poor targets for banditry. We had more trouble with the native wildlife than we did with your tribe, and that is a sad, if honest, truth," he says, as he kneels down and digs into his pack for the healing potion the Eye had supplied him with.

"Open wide," he suggests, then pours it into the gnoll's mouth. Watching the healing energies do their, literal, magic, he gets back to his feet and folds his arms across his battle-worn breastplate.

"Well, I'd say there's been enough discourtesy between us: we obviously started off on the wrong battlefield. So let's begin anew with introductions and go from there. I am Napelidieu. Marquis Napelidieu Du Brous," he says, and sketches a half-gracious bow, his voice only slightly sardonic.

The exchange was for information on the state of the Frijlands and how to get more or less safely (or as safely as can be) to the railway, as far as I can see. Modify this accordingly if you think that's too wide a request.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

Not being so easily deterred, Jazaat used his preternatural agility and climbing skills to flick out his climbing spear once more and using it to dig into the cliff side, slowing his descent - if not arresting it entirely.

Defy Danger (Str/Dex (doesn't matter which)): 2d6+2 10

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The gnoll priestess, hexer, witch or whatever she may be, laps at the healing potion hungrily as the glowing waters fill her mouth. Her eyes glow with renewed vigor as the magical liquids take their effect. Her bones click as she stretches her limbs, then yawns and - carefully and very much aware of The Marquis standing over her - climbs to all fours. She shakes her body like a wet dog, then gets to her feet.

"Thank you Marquis," she grunts. "You think we be offended when you say that wildlife is more dangerous? Ha! Maybe where you are from the wildlife is victims, out here it rules. We are victims. Only the most dangerous predators and sneakiest prey survives here." Her dark eyes scan the gathered squad skeptically. "I am Djaibek and I owe you my life, so I will help foreigners."

She points to the mainland of the island.

"The road of rails has been built for some time. It grows across the ice like shadow or sunlight, spreading each day. Lots of men die building it, but it keeps building and men are replaced. But now it stops. Don't know if finished or just stopped. I don't see what happens, but there are no men now. If you can cross the bridge then you should find road of rails quickly. Then can follow it wherever."

She sniffs.

"Anything else you need to know?"

Everyone, ask away.

Jazaat lands with a soft thump in the snow, completely uninjured. There is a little rumble and then a thin layer of snow lands atop his head.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné

Slithering down the slope, Yon tries to untangle his own limps from Jazaat's, while at the same time shifting his weight to get back on his feet and perform a graceful landing. Using Jazaat's body as a counterweight, he shifts his upper body carefully around, testing the speeding ice, offsetting his feet with his hands and manages to come up to a daintily pose, gliding down the hill in a controlled fashion.

Then there is a hard yank, as Jazaat manages to stop his own decent with his spear, and abruptly Yon has half as many limps and weight to deal with as before, destroying his balancing efforts and sending him face first into the frozen spikes.

Defy Danger (+Dex): 2d6+2 7

On a 7-9, you stumble, hesitate, or flinch: the GM will offer you a worse outcome, hard bargain, or ugly choice.

e X fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 2, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

Regarding the Gnoll matron impassively these last few minutes as the Marquis asks his questions has been somewhat illuminating, but there is still much to learn.

The alien mage silently commands The Cube to float over to the fallen gnoll, scan the remains of the design she had carved into the snow and take readings of the Matron's aura.

"This One is a student of all Arcane Mysteries, what was the spell you performed just now? What is the basis for your system of magic? Do you have any introductory texts or other means of learning your magics? How can This One convince you to share you magical knowledge?
Qqqqq's bizarre voice buzzes out through Its helmet, as the Cube returns to its position floating and slowly rotating above the alien's palm.

Using my Charming and Open move:
Asking her:
How can I get you to share your magical knowledge?

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Yon tumbles into the mass of frozen spikes, expecting a series of fatal impalements followed by The Black Gates. Instead, the spikes simply crumple to snow beneath him as the very frozen ground itself cracks and shatters like glass. Several deep fissures spread through the ice, including beneath the feet of Jazaat. Yon slips quietly through the frozen shelf and into the darkness of the ocean. Freezing salt water fills his clothes and the shock strikes him in the chest like the kick of an angry mule. Above him, the edge of the hole shrinks visibly before his very eyes as the water refreezes with terrifying speed. To be trapped beneath the outcrop here would be very very bad indeed.

There is a creak beneath Jazaat as a long crack shoots through the ice between his feet. The grounds doesn't fall away the way it did beneath his companion, but one wrong step and he could be in serious trouble.

Yon, what do you do?
Jazaat, what do YOU do?

The Cube scans the faint remains of the rune scratched in the ice, then barbles a series of tones and lights that only Qqqqq can understand. The Cube relays that the insignia was likely just a simple spell amplification process - likely the one of a simplistic and primal magic system.

The gnoll smiles an ugly smile then tilts her long face one way then the other.

"You don't know all magics funny man of no faces! Maybe you know your fancy books spells, but this is real magicses." She places a claw to her chest. "It comes from here! We got it from the old gods and The Three Head Bitch Queen would shake you in her jaws like a chew toy rather than take your worship." She smiles again, a thin string of saliva hanging from her furry chin. "Stillllll we has ways of sharing what we know for a priiiiiiice. I could give you a whisper of my people's magic in return for something of same value." She glances the technomage up and down. "Here is my deal and you may take it or leave it, he who stinks of the far planes. I will trade you a spell for a spell. But I will not tell you what the spell shall do. In exchange, I will take the gift of the pack from you. Now tell me, since you do not walk the path of my gods, Who do you serve?"

Q5, if you so desire, the gnoll will give you a spell, the exact result of which will be unknown until you use it properly. In exchange you must give up, permenantly, the abiltiy to "The next time someone successfully assists the target with aid, they get +2 instead of +1" when you use Arcane Art.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

The alien tilts its head to the side quizzically for a moment that stretches into uncomfortable silence about ten seconds too long before responding.
"Well bargained and done, this One will abide by your terms."
With a hum, the Cube begins to gather arcano-mechanical energies, spinning faster and glowing brighter with every second. The Cube's scanners reach deep inside the hyppocampus region of the gnoll's cortex whereby an artificial monad impression can be carved into soft neural tissues, years of learning and practice imparted in a matter of seconds...this is going to hurt, really, really bad.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yon Bonné
HP: 14/14 Armor: 0 Ammo: 6 XP: 1 Quiver: 32

"Bloop, bloop, bloop", curses Yon while he desperately tries to untangle his bow from his back and get into a shooting position. He can feel the coldness and lack of oxygen edging him into unconsciousness. Fumbling for one of his special arrows in his quiver, he can feel his fingers going numb, he knows he only has one shot at this - literally! Finally, his feels his fingertips touching the right one. With as swift a motion as the heavy, cold water allows, he puts it on his bowstring and sends the rope arrow flying.

Spending one Quiver to shoot a rope arrow out of the water.

Volley through the ice towards something solid: 2d6+2 12

The arrow wobbles from the string, slowed down by the unusual element it is in, but still with enough force to easily break through the ice and lodge into one of the cliffs high above, pulling a trail of rope behind it. Yon begins his ascent up the rope, before the coldness makes his muscles even more stiff or the ice once again freezes over the new opening.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

Having arrested his fall, and now finding himself on an increasingly unstable surface, Jazaat opts to change surface entirely - deftly stepping onto the cliff-face that he so recently slid down, bracing himself gently using all the grace that he is naturally imbued with, while simultaneously remaining aware of the section of cliff that Yon's arrow has now skewered.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

As The Cube floats up and begins to scan the gnoll's skull, she cowers and shelters her face with both hands.

"No, no, no, no!" she barks. "Let me show!"

She reaches into a pocket and produces a small red crystal - cloudy and chipped and obstensibly worthless. Lifting it to her mouth she breaths across it once, clouding the surface further, then tosses it into Qqqqq's hands.

"Place it in your mouth and sleep when you're a little older and wiser, planeswalker." She freezes, staring at Qqqqq's face. "Uhhhh find an orifice." She gives a brief, wicked smirk then steps back into the shadows.

She turns and begins bolting on all fours. The cold mists seem to bend and swirl around her, cloaking her movement, but if anybody was particularly inclined to take a shot at her they could.

Q5, wait until you level up, but its a done deal.

As the ice reforms over the hole, there is a second crunch. Shards of ice the size of fists, burst out from the surface of the ocean and scatter across ground. A single arrow, slow, heavy, but aimed true, shoots through the air and digs into the side of the cliff. Seconds later, a blue, shivering Yon drags himself free of the ice, just in time. The hole closes behind his feet and solidifies.

Everyone, what now?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Qqqqq

Now that the danger has passed for now, the alien takes a moment to regard the cloudy red crystal before stowing it among Its things.

Sending out the Cube once more in a perfunctory scan of the campsite, Qqqqq turns to the Marquis.
"This One finds it odd that Yon and the Mendicant have yet to return from their explorations, do you not agree? So too should we see to the disposition of the remaining crew lest they have likewise abandoned us."

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Searching the area, the squad is soon reunited. It is only once someone does a quick headcount that they realise there is somebody missing. A few minutes of kicking around in the darkness unearths a strange, heavily decayed fish-body. The skin is thin and dry and flaps like ancient paper in the cold win, the bulbous eyes are rolled back and already begining to frost over. The body lays still and decaying in a thick pool of what were recently guys and innards. It seems Bloob has been overcome by whatever disease he was attempting to wait out. The first of five has fallen.

The four remaining squad members climb slowly and carefully to the top of the hill. Words is spread of the friendly, yet dumb frost troll who resides within the hut so the squad keep their voices low. They find themselves standing atop the frozen hill, the wooden bridge swaying side to side in the wind above a deep, dark, icy sea. The path to the mainland is long and will take some time to walk, but if done carefully the risk of falling is low. However, there are rumors about trolls and bridges....

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Mendicant Jazaat

"Hmm. Unfortunate, but it does not make our mission impossible." remarked Jazaat on the occasion of Bloob's demise.

"The next question is: What should be our avenue of advancement, if we are to make it to our target." inquired Jazaat, his mind thinking of several possibilities, including one which favours him more than the others, his wrapped body belaying no emotion - the tone of his voice as passive as ever.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread