Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MTU goes down again. Never thought we were a #1 team but I still think we have a good team and have a shot at doing something this year. I think getting a couple losses under their belt might take off some pressure and get them working towards the goal of winning the WCHA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Well that was certainly a game that happened

:smith:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
THE 6 TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN MEN'S HOCKEY TEAM IS ON A 8 GAME LOSING STREAK TO START THE SEASON.

gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I don't know what's going on with these new home jerseys, but we look like Ohio State and I loving hate it

gently caress a broncos :respek:

are they the ones that look like long-sleeved basketball jerseys with numbers on the front? Because gently caress that design

E:
John Buccigross @Buccigross · 23m 23 minutes ago
BucciMane #cawlidgehawkey Top 10
1 BU
2 NDakota
3 Minnesota
4 Miami
5 Minn St
6 Duluth
7 Lowell
8 Mich Tech
9 Quinnipiac
10 Bowling Green

:toot:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 24, 2014

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

are they the ones that look like long-sleeved basketball jerseys with numbers on the front? Because gently caress that design

Yes, and they made the white grey for whatever reason and it looks dumb. I thought it was just a one time thing when I saw it a few weeks ago but they were wearing it again :(

e: they've always typically had numbers on the front, which is a look I don't typically mind in college (dallas stop plz), but I've always liked the Big M better.

e2:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 24, 2014

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Miami's next conference win will be their NCHC high-water mark :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Yes, and they made the white grey for whatever reason and it looks dumb. I thought it was just a one time thing when I saw it a few weeks ago but they were wearing it again :(

e: they've always typically had numbers on the front, which is a look I don't typically mind in college (dallas stop plz), but I've always liked the Big M better.

e2:

oh god yeah those are hideous. Big M looked cool

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It doesn't even have the cool Miami font :(

look

at

all

these

better

jerseys

god that poo poo sucks :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I like all of those that don't have the numbers on front. It's just so generic.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I like the stripey one and the HCC jerseys are rad as gently caress

I think the diagonal down one would be badass if they used the other font

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I think the diagonal down one would be badass if they used the other font

oh absolutely

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Miami's new jerseys look exactly like BU's.

Also I have no idea how BU has managed to rebound so quickly after the flaming poo poo sandwich that was last season, but I'm not complaining.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Aggro posted:

Miami's new jerseys look exactly like BU's.

i loving quit

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
This might not be the right way to use this thread, but until Northwestern gets a team (which I hope they do) I don't really have a team to root for. I semi-support Providence since it is where I am from, but if people can make a case for an additional team to follow/root for I would appreciate it since it would motivate me to try to watch more college hockey which I would enjoy.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Well since you seem to be a fan of disappointment I would recommend the best team that's never won a championship, my very own UNH Wildcats.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

siriuslysomething posted:

This might not be the right way to use this thread, but until Northwestern gets a team (which I hope they do) I don't really have a team to root for. I semi-support Providence since it is where I am from, but if people can make a case for an additional team to follow/root for I would appreciate it since it would motivate me to try to watch more college hockey which I would enjoy.

You have a few options here, regardless of team. The WCHA has its own subscription streaming service now, and depending on where you live, you should be able to get some games on TV as well. NBCSN usually has a couple Notre Dame games per month, and while they're not all that great this year, they play some really good teams in Hockey East. Fox Sports [location] channels around the Midwest usually has games, and Big Ten Network shows a game or two per week. If you're out east, regional networks like NESN and some of the local cable channels should have games as well.

drat near every team also has a radio affiliate. Many of them are the on-campus station so quality can really vary, but it's better than nothing.

The CHN Live Scoreboard does a great job listing what games are on radio and TV, and is a really great website overall in terms of stats, schedules, info, etc.

As far as teams, BOWLING GREEN, I can't really suggest BGSU anyone, but here's FALCONS, BITCH a quick 'n dirty conference breakdown BOWLING GREEN of the conferences to give you a feel for things:

Atlantic Hockey - Probably the weakest of the conferences. Currently topped by Robert Morris, having a better-than-expected year. Has the two hockey-playing service schools (Air Force, Army) if you dig that.

Big Ten - One good team (Minnesota), a few teams that used to be good (Michigan State, Michigan, Wisconsin), one brand new team (Penn State), and gently caress Ohio State.

ECAC - Smart-rear end nerd hockey. This is basically the Ivy League + a few others, and most of the others are pretty solid teams. Good teams include current national champion Union, political polling school Quinnipiac (they're actually pretty good), and Colgate.

Hockey East - Top to bottom, probably the strongest conference in college hockey. Pretty much anyone in the top 6 can be a legit national title contender. The conference tournament always has great matchups, so if you're out east, keep an eye on it.

NCHC - Small but mighty conference. Great Miami midwest/western teams including Miami North Dakota, St. Cloud, and Miami Denver. Western Michigan can be kind of hit-and-miss and Colorado College is usually weak Miami but everyone else Miami is good.
You're welcome, OYM and Miamikid :v:

WCHA - Sort of the Island of Misfit Toys of conferences. The WCHA makes zero goddamn sense geographically (Two Alaskan teams, one in Alabama, potential future home for Arizona State because why the hell not?) but has started to really find an identity and turn into something solid. The Fightin' Nerds of Michigan Tech have had a phenomenal start to the year behind some great goaltending, Minnesota State is usually on top, BGSU has experienced a renaissance over the last 2 years and is finally back in the national picture, MOTHER loving ATOMIC SPACE BEARS, and Ferris State makes the national tournament pretty often as well.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

a+ write-up would read again

The NCHC also has an online streaming service this season as well http://www.nchc.tv/packages

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

siriuslysomething posted:

...make a case for an additional team to follow/root for...

The University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux are a great choice.
  • We've gotten to see Alumni such as TJ Oshie, Matt Greene, Chris VandeVelde, Chris Porter, Brock Nelson, Zach Parise, Brad Malone, Drew Stafford, Rocco Grimaldi, Matt Frattin, Corbin Knight, Travis Zajac, and Jonathan Toews develop into NHL players
  • Most years they get off to a terrible start and you catch all kinds of crap, but then they turn it around and contend for a national title and you can throw it back at the people that give you that crap
  • You get an automatic second favorite team Whoever-Is-Playing-Minnesota
  • You can see games in a sold out 11,000 seat $100 million arena (that was donated by a Nazi loving billionaire in one of the flattest and worst smelling "cities" in America)
  • Racist throwback jerseys/sweatshirts at discounted prices
  • You can help choose a new mascot & logo
  • Tied for second most National Championships in NCAA history (7)
  • Won more regular season WCHA Championships in conference history (15) before leaving to help found NCHC
  • Head Coach Dave Hakstol played for the Sioux and has at least one game misconduct for fighting in a game versus Minnesota
  • edit: Grand Forks is home of the semi-internet famous Marilyn Hagerty

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 27, 2014

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I'm not even going to try to push Michigan. We stink. We used to be super great. We stink now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo you guys! There is so much hockey this weekend! Some of it might be good, too! Eat a ton of food and then watch this poo poo! Games are at some odd times so I'm gonna post those as well.

FRIDAY

DRUNK UNCLE WHO WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT POLITICS
USAFA vs. Canisius - 2:35PM ET
Army vs. Bentley - 7:05PM ET

OCTOGENARIAN THROWING ELBOWS IN A BEST BUY AT 4AM
Vermont vs. Maine - 7:00PM ET

AN EXTRA SLICE OF PIE FOUND WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS ALL GONE
Minn. State vs. LSSU - 7:37PM ET
NMU vs. SPACEBEAR - 7:07PM AT
Fightin' Nerds vs. Bama-Huntsville 7:07PM CT

RUNNING YOUR MOM OVER IN BACKYARD FOOTBALL BUT C'MON GUYS SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE JAMMED AT THE LINE LIKE THAT
Neb-Omaha vs. NoDak - 7:37PM CT

HOLY poo poo LOOK AT ALL THESE LEFTOVERS I AM GOING TO MAKE SUCH A DAGWOOD OUT OF THIS, YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW
RPI vs. Neo - 7:35PM ET
Minnesota vs. BC - 6:00PM ET
Ferris St. vs. Wisconsin - 7:00PM CT
Clarkson vs. Merrimack - 4:00PM ET
Michigan State vs. Princeton - 7:00PM ET
UMass vs. Q'Pac - 7:00PM ET
St. Cloud vs. Bemidji St. - 7:37PM CT

WHEN YOU'VE JUST HAD ENOUGH OF THE DRUNK UNCLE AND TELL HIM TO SHUT HIS YAP OR YOU'RE GONNA BEAT HIM WITH A CASSEROLE DISH (Shillelagh Tournament - Yeah, it's back!)
WMU vs. Ohio State - 4:05PM ET
Union vs. Notre Dame - 7:35PM ET

SATURDAY

BITCHES, LEAVE
Army vs. Bentley - 7:05PM ET
USAFA vs. Canisius - 7:35PM ET

THE TIGERS ARE PLAYING TO-NIIIGHT. I NEVER MISS A GAME
BC vs. Providence - 7:00PM ET - TV: Ocean State Network
Vermont vs. Maine - 7:00PM ET

SOMETHING WITH RECLINING LEATHER SEATS THAT GOES REALLY FAST AND GETS REALLY lovely GAS MILEAGE
NMU vs. SPACEBEAR - 7:07PM AT
Fightin' Nerds vs. Bama-Huntsville 7:07PM CT
Minn. State vs. LSSU - 7:07PM ET

YOUR MOVE, CREEP
Neb-Omaha vs. NoDak - 7:07PM CT - TV: Fox College Sports

DEAD OR ALIVE, YOU'RE COMING WITH ME
Clarkson vs. Merrimack - 4:00PM ET
RIT vs. Yale - 7:00PM ET
Minnesota vs. Northeastern - 7:00PM ET
AIC vs. Dartmouth - 4:00PM ET
MSU vs. Princeton - 7:00PM ET
Cornell vs. DOOP - 8:00PM ET (Game at Madison Square Garden)
Harvard vs. Mass-Lowell - 7:00PM ET
Q'Pac vs. UMass - 7:00PM ET
'Gate vs. BU - 4:00PM ET
St. Cloud vs. Bemidji St. - 7:07PM CT
UConn vs. Brown - 4:00PM ET
RPI vs. Oh God Someone Give Neo a Hug, He Needs It - 7:35PM ET
Ferris St. vs. Wisconsin - 7:00PM CT

YOU HAVE TWENTY SECONDS TO COMPLY - Shillelagh Tournament
Union/ND vs. Ohio State - 10:00AM ET
Union/ND vs. WMU - 10:00AM ET
Union vs. OSU/WMU - 5:00PM ET
OSU/WMU vs. ND - 7:35PM ET

SUNDAY

I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR
Brown vs. Holy Cross - 2:00PM ET
BU vs. Dartmouth - 4:00PM ET

Happy Thanksgiving, you funky people :btroll:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Here's hoping that the Wisconsin Hockey Badgers finally win a game.

:smith:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If I didn't have work Saturday night I would totally be at that Cornell/PSU game :(

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Obama Yo Mama posted:

If I didn't have work Saturday night I would totally be at that Cornell/PSU game :(

If there wasn't a football and volleyball game the same night, I would totally be at that Cornell/PSU game

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Lookin forward to getting swept at home by RPI :waycool:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan just scored twice in the last 2 minutes to go up on RPI

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grats Neo :unsmith:

E: also of note :siren: WISCONSIN DIDN'T LOSE :siren:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DJExile posted:

E: also of note :siren: WISCONSIN DIDN'T LOSE :siren:

I also found this of note.

Huskies got back to winning by beating Huntsville 4-2 on the road.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
So how about those Catamounts? :c00lbutt:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan is up 3-0 in the 1st tonight, trying desperately not to coug this.

Edit: Michigan did not coug it, won 6-0 and swept RPI. Ohio State next week.

gently caress Ohio State.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 30, 2014

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

DJExile posted:

also of note :siren: WISCONSIN DIDN'T LOSE :siren:

With their win Saturday Wisconsin has nominally moved up two places into a three-way tie for 57th in the PairWise Rankings.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

miami's up to #4 which is p cool

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Stitecin posted:

With their win Saturday Wisconsin has nominally moved up two places into a three-way tie for 57th in the PairWise Rankings.

"Suck it, Arizona State" - Wisconsin

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

hahahaha

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/11/24/7273533/social-networking-app-tinder-creates-new-opportunities-for-fan

College hockey is the best.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I promised my friend (QU alum) that if either they or Miami make the Providence regional that we'd go. I also said that if BU/BC gets there as well, I'd potentially be down to just get drunk and heckle.

I was looking at the PairWise, and assuming QU wins the ECAC tournament, if the season ended right now, it wouldn't be unlikely for the East regional to be Miami vs. QU and BU vs. Harvard/Yale

:pray:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I look forward to Western copying this bit and claiming they came up with it like everything else they stole from Michigan (who admits they stole a lot of their initial chirping from Cornell)

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

I'm too lazy to look back through all 6 pages of this thread, but I assume ASU is getting a new arena to move up, right? We played there against them while I was in grad school and while they were definitely and impressive team, that arena was definitely way too janky to house anything above a club program (along with the rest of the Pac8. Holy poo poo those rinks suuuuuuuuuuucked.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Funkutron5000 posted:

I'm too lazy to look back through all 6 pages of this thread, but I assume ASU is getting a new arena to move up, right? We played there against them while I was in grad school and while they were definitely and impressive team, that arena was definitely way too janky to house anything above a club program (along with the rest of the Pac8. Holy poo poo those rinks suuuuuuuuuuucked.)

Miami managed to be a pretty strong team despite playing in the Goggin, which went out of date some time during the Carter administration.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the goggin loving owned

i'm pretty sure dan brown still has nightmares of that place

e: also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2z5HUmmlQ

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

DJExile posted:

Miami managed to be a pretty strong team despite playing in the Goggin, which went out of date some time during the Carter administration.

https://twitter.com/OceansideIce/status/513141647048069120

The options are to refurbish the place they are in now or go to wells fargo arena (ASU basketball arena) or US airways center (current phoenix suns, ex-coyotes). Either of the last 2 are good options because they are so close to the light rail line, but personally I'd rather have it at wells fargo arena where it's on campus.

• Locked thread