Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
drone snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
these are the only drones I need:

reading
Jul 27, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

although the best argument against the usps is if you've ever lived in a building without package delivery and have to go to a branch to pick poo poo up, an hour minimum each time

Except that it only took me about 10 minutes by foot to pick things up from my post office? Because I live in a city, you hillbilly rube? Do you live in Nebraska or Alberta or something?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

maybe ups/fedex is like different carriers and they have varying levels of service depending on where you live?

no way

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

reading posted:

Except that it only took me about 10 minutes by foot to pick things up from my post office? Because I live in a city, you hillbilly rube? Do you live in Nebraska or Alberta or something?

at my last apt in brooklyn, the post office was a 30 min walk away and consistently had a 30-90 min wait

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah lets all go to the post office during the few hours its open so we can wait in line forever for the worst service anywhere thats not the dmv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like the flat rate boxes

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

if i know its going to show up on a work day i get it delivered to work because lol if you cant have stuff delivered to work

or just work from home if its a big thing that taking home from work wouldnt work like a mattress or something

or a kitchen

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
lol @ having to like thnik about package delivery and lol if fedex,ups and usps dont just leave stuff on youre covered front porch

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like the flat rate boxes

yeah same

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ebay is big on those flat rate boxes and that fast & free delivery works pretty well tbh

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it never rains here so doesn't matter if I didn't have a porch anyway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its raining or snowing the ups guy puts the box in a plastic bag.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
we have mini post offices as part of supermarkets and it works pretty well. public and private hand in hand

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they should shutdown standalone post offices and just use the ones in grocery stores. also force them to have the same hours as the grocery store.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yeah lets all go to the post office during the few hours its open so we can wait in line forever for the worst service anywhere thats not the dmv

lol if your dmv is terrible, every time i've gone it was far easier to deal with than any private utility company

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lets look at my local post office's hours hmmmm:
Lobby Hours
Mon-Sun 12:01am - 11:59pm

poo poo i mean what if you have to ship something right at 12am? that must be a typo!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah they should shutdown standalone post offices and just use the ones in grocery stores. also force them to have the same hours as the grocery store.

same with banks

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

lol if your dmv is terrible, every time i've gone it was far easier to deal with than any private utility company

mine is 8-5 every day except tuesday when it's 8-6

they're not very fast either

e: 8-5 every weekday, they're closed weekends

computer parts fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 22, 2014

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

same, going to the dmv is great compared to going into the time warner store because i have to return my modem in person like an animal

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
shaggar how do you feel about germany's government making almost every business close all day sundays

or all of france closing up for the entire month of august

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ups guy must be busy yesterday it was 'by 8pm' now it's 11:59pm lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PuTTY riot posted:

ups. but they are all fine here as long as it's not fedex/usps combo delivery thing. gently caress that

Quoting because combo delivery is in fact the loving worst

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the little post office by me is usually like about 5 min wait for the counter, 0 minute wait for the dual kiosks which i use for package weighing+shipping. theres also the main hollywood branch in a big building that has no line and smells like Old which is cool to me

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my package from ups was waiting on my doorstep when i got home for lunch ftw

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Prime!!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

at least the packaging is easy to open

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
gift wrap available

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
thank loving christ

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm going to drop $300 on a food processor at amazon.ca because that's like $100 less than buying it at sears

so i guess sears is actually the loving worst op

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm going to drop $300 on a food processor at amazon.ca because that's like $100 less than buying it at sears

so i guess sears is actually the loving worst op

huh, sears still exists then

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

huh, sears still exists then

ya in the technical sense of the word

i think a lot of olds still shop there

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

sears has the kim kardashian line for some reason

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/21/investing/sears-earnings/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

he bloodbath at Sears (SHLD) shows no sign of letting up.
Shares of the struggling retailer plunged over 8% Thursday after its second quarter loss fell short of already-low Wall Street expectations.
It was the ninth straight quarterly loss for Sears, which reported sales declines across the board at many of its businesses, including Kmart, Sears Auto Center, and Sears Canada.
The company also claimed that it lost profit from major promotional activities that have yet to bear fruit.
Related: Aeropostale hires old CEO to save teen brand
Part of Sears' revenue loss last quarter came from the spinoff of its Lands' End Clothing line last spring. The stock got a bounce in April around the time of the Lands' End (LE) deal as investors hoped the move would provide Sears with much-needed cash.
But the goodwill was short-lived, as shares of Sears are down over 15% this year.
Sears was once a powerhouse as the largest retailer and employer in America. But its profit has tanked since it announced a merger with Kmart in 2004.
According to Brian Sozzi, a retail analyst with Belus Capital Advisors, the company has neglected to invest in their actual stores since the merger, which has left them with an antiquated look.
"This quarter once again supports the view that Sears and Kmart are getting pushed out of retail in the United States," said Sozzi. "Sears becomes more irrelevant by the day."
Don't write off retail: Other retailers have also reported earnings in the past few weeks, and it's a mixed bag.
Wal-Mart (WMT)warned recently that it expects to earn less this year than it had previously promised. The company is blaming higher health care costs and the need to upgrade its online operations.
Related: Walmart: 'Going to a very dark place'
Target (PBCFX), still working to overcome issues related to its massive data breach, cut its yearly profit outlook Wednesday, but the company sounded upbeat about its July sales and early back-to-school shopping results.
If there's a bright spot in retail, it's Macy's (M). The stock has soared around 13% this year, with back-to-school sales similarly a bright spot.
TJX Companies, (TJX) owner of TJ Maxx and Marshalls, has skyrocketed around 13% in the last month, as has Kohl's (KSS). Both companies reported impressive second quarter earnings.
Richard Jaffe, an analyst with Stifel Nicolaus, said the pick-up in certain retailers has less to do with the economy, and more with better merchandising and products.
"The pressure on retailers is often overdone, you hear that people will never shop again," he said. "When these retailers come back, they're getting snapped up pretty quickly."

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Sears still has a quarter of a million employees, somehow. they are dysfunctional as gently caress, have whole software teams working on stuff that they know they won't release or use. can't believe they've survived this long tbh

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
dont forget about when they bought kmart. lol.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Enderzero posted:

Sears still has a quarter of a million employees, somehow. they are dysfunctional as gently caress, have whole software teams working on stuff that they know they won't release or use. can't believe they've survived this long tbh

i have a friend that programs for them now, just out of college. i have no idea what he does

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah idk. I browse @ sears sometimes, when they have sales the prices are reasonable and there's always a sale in some part of the store or other. maybe that's how they stay in buisness

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Dj Meow Mix posted:

i have a friend that programs for them now, just out of college. i have no idea what he does

i know of a recruiting company that dropped them because their placements kept leaving so quickly after getting hired on. that's a pretty bad sign, yeah?

edit: i think they are still trusted by olds for appliances and do a decent job at that? otherwise i have no idea how they stay afloat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Enderzero posted:

i know of a recruiting company that dropped them because their placements kept leaving so quickly after getting hired on. that's a pretty bad sign, yeah?

edit: i think they are still trusted by olds for appliances and do a decent job at that? otherwise i have no idea how they stay afloat

people love craftsman brand tools for some unfathomable reason

• Locked thread