Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I unironically hope a minimum wage hike causes the last grocery store hold outs to install self checkouts.

also amazon is cool but I got a package today that was delivered by fedex instead of ups and I hope its just temporary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

same but this is UPS for me

"oh yeah i guess you did get 2 day shipping specifically so it'd be here before the weekend but well uh we, like, didn't feel like doing that, today. it's in the city but we didn't bring it to your house cause....yeaaahhhhh. it's at the depot 20 miles away between the hours of 9pm and 9:30 pm if you want to try to get in the gate before it closes, or you can wait until monday, whatever"

i loving hate ups. in canada they also were fined a huge amount of money by the government for charging usurious brokerage fees to bring things across the border. you bought a 14 dollar electronic part from rochester, ny and you want it shipped to toronto? ooooh drat, i mean that would be free shipping nationwide in the usa, but to go 50 miles north, that'll be 22.95 shipping and, let's say, fifty loving dollars in customs brokerage plus six days sitting in a depot

i SERIOUSLY hate ups.

the us postal service, on the other hand, is excellent. they consistently beat UPS and fedex ground shipping times and the mail lady drops stuff off at 10am the day you expect it 6 days a week

lol @ Canadians complaining about their protectionism causing problems for shipping across the border. you're lucky you can get anything at all in those frozen wastes.

also the ups guy came by later so idk what the deal w/ the fedex guy was.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
usps will deliver piles of litterrall garbage into your mailbox, no matter the weather.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

actually canada post and the usps have a sharing agreement where they will carry each other's mail. mail poo poo back and forth all you want. as long as you do it with the national service there is zero problem.

but ups? well you see, mailing the thing from los angeles to maine costs 2 dollars, but mailing it from los angeles to quebec, well, that's gonna be 22.95 and fifty in brokerage, there's just no way around it *unfolds nipple flaps*

yeah I bet if the ups got to ignore customs like the usps it would probably be fine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

jfc. what other jobs can we think of where 1.75 seconds makes enough of a difference that your job could depend on it? firefighter? trauma surgeon? medevac pilot?

i'm sure we pay this woman as much as the people working those jobs, though

burn it to the loving ground

"duhhhhh, yeah, i mean, the government loving sucks, the only reason it does better than a private carrier is because of the advantages inherent to being a governmental operator, if they would just dere

no shut up. stop it. i will NOT be shaggared

"ugh, ups has to deal with customs? what the gently caress?!? why don't they just ignore it like usps!"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"trash delivery should be a public service!!!" - idiot usps defenders

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

the usps is publicly controlled, entirely self-funded (none of your taxes pay for it) and works better than any of the private carriers. you have literally nothing to complain about here.

grow up

usps is terrible and does nothing of value

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

if what you're trying to say is that postal services are garbage in this era of email and computers that is another discussion. but as postal services go, the usps is the best one in the world.

of course its the best, its American. but the idea that people still send letters is hilarious.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I would happily pay taxes for it if that means no more trash delivery

I would rather they just stop the trash delivery and have people/businesses pay the full cost of postage.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

we sorta did the opposite in canada, companies can email bills securely via this thing called epost run by canada post

lots of companies don't use it and since it costs money a lot of the companies that do are trying to get their customers to switch to logging into company site directly for bills instead

yeah it would be stupid to do it through the usps when you can do it thru your own company's existing customer web zone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah lets all go to the post office during the few hours its open so we can wait in line forever for the worst service anywhere thats not the dmv

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its raining or snowing the ups guy puts the box in a plastic bag.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they should shutdown standalone post offices and just use the ones in grocery stores. also force them to have the same hours as the grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

shaggar how do you feel about germany's government making almost every business close all day sundays

or all of france closing up for the entire month of august

fascism sucks

• Locked thread