Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is the merchant system still the same as 1? Made finding gear in dungeons feel completely useless.

Nope. You buy items normally and also can craft better items by using collectable materials you find, but the crafting stuff appears to be a straight up "collect 10 beef hearts and spend 1000 gold to get new armor" as opposed to anything more complex. (It may change later.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Just posting to say that I liked Xillia I enough to platinum it, so very much looking forward to this one.

Now, I exit the thread for a few months until I buy and complete the game, so as to avoid spoilers.

:wave:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Eddain posted:

Did anyone else try to be a hero during the tutorial and get their face kicked in?

I almost got it. But I'm pretty sure its a battle a la the first time you fight Hubert in ToGf where he's unbeatable.

Anyway, finally made my way back into Rieze Maxia and got Quick Travel back. About level 19 and going through on Normal with switches to Easy on some occasions.

I'm really happy they got rid of random loot in towns. It was sort of annoying to search for that crap. I also love how Random loot spawns quicker in the field.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I almost got it. But I'm pretty sure its a battle a la the first time you fight Hubert in ToGf where he's unbeatable.
It's not, I managed to beat it.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

evilalien posted:

No, vendors seem to have a traditional fixed list of things to sell. There is none of that shop upgrading stuff from the first Xillia.

Lame. I liked upgrading the shops for early upgrades.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, he's beatable. You use Nakishigure (there is no source for the English names of these that I know of, I'll change it if I get filled in) to break its guard, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did afterwards because the arte ends with a knockdown and Azure Edge doesn't stand him back up. Maybe you just hit him while he's down.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Anyway, finally made my way back into Rieze Maxia and got Quick Travel back. About level 19 and going through on Normal with switches to Easy on some occasions.

I'm really happy they got rid of random loot in towns. It was sort of annoying to search for that crap. I also love how Random loot spawns quicker in the field.

There's still loot in towns, but it's not random and also it's completely invisible. Have fun mashing X on every available surface like an oldschool PSX JRPG!

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Holy poo poo was the first time you fight (Chapter 6) Chronos insane on Hard difficulty. I couldn't do it on Moderate as well and even on Normal I was struggling.

Are these types of bosses where you have to use Ludger's special ability to its fullest? I don't really understand what combo does the most damage and regular attacks still get blocked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I beat the tutorial boss by stunlocking him. I didn't even realize it wasn't supposed to be a winnable battle.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Why are bosses so hard in this game? It's weird. I can take down a generic encounter in 10 seconds but it took me like 20 tries to beat Muzet

I was either doing something wrong or forgot to upgrade my gear or something because I had the durability of wet cardboard, could rarely get through iron guard and was just all around terrible and this was on normal.

please tell me the truth is not that i'm bad at video games because they're all i have

(Also I've found the best thing to do with Chromatus is just to jump and bomb Azure Edges, using his up special to reposition if need be. I could take down over 20000 HP per Chromatus against said boss like that.)

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah, I had no troubles with the bosses beforehand. None of the story bosses really posed problems save for Volt, but Muzet seems to just be the fault of taking a near endgame boss from the first and letting it keep the same cheap tricks for a somewhat mid-game boss. I had to set the game back down to easy to win. Would've helped if all my Orange Gels didn't keep miraculously vanishing.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
What happens if you beat the first boss in the cave? It seems like failure is pretty important there.

E: seconding that Shadow Volt kicked my rear end. Having a great time with the game though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

What happens if you beat the first boss in the cave? It seems like failure is pretty important there.

E: seconding that Shadow Volt kicked my rear end. Having a great time with the game though.

The girl you saved pulls a knife on you when you go to help her up and Julius fails you for lacking situational awareness.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

The girl you saved pulls a knife on you when you go to help her up and Julius fails you for lacking situational awareness.

:wtc:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It makes more sense in game, I didn't realize that was a win or lose fight and it didn't seem that out of place.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

It makes more sense in game, I didn't realize that was a win or lose fight and it didn't seem that out of place.

If you say so. Not that far in, and I think the game is might be foreshadowing Julius intentionally failing Ludger to keep him out of Spirius, but that seems like overkill.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Okay, I just finished Chapter 7. I've just now gotten the first trophy in my game.

I'm probably not going to get platinum.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
I think Shadow Muzet is suppose to help drill in the fact that Chromatus is a thing to use if your party is in a situation where it's about to be completely hosed(Sunburst) or in a situation where the boss is a position where they get a giant benefit from said action(Diffusional Drive and Overlimit activation).

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Okay, I just finished Chapter 7. I've just now gotten the first trophy in my game.

I'm probably not going to get platinum.

Like Xillia 1, all of the trophies in the game are tied to in-game titles, and most of them are just for doing x thing y amount of times, like in the original. A platinum can be realistically be gotten in a single playthrough, but the major thing that can prevent you from getting a platinum is completing the Battle Title list, one of which include beating 20+ or so elite monster monster in under 2 minutes, since there's only 50 of those monsters in the game or so.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i find it disturbing how our party is going around destroying worlds like it ain't no thing and that the Milla in our party is some random schmuck from an alternative universe who we destroyed and now has no choice but to tag along with a group of mass murderers who think she's their bff.

okay i mean they don't act like destroying these worlds is totally okay, but not in a "we are literally mass murderers on a scale that was previously logically impossible" way.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Holy poo poo Shadow Volt is pretty hard. I had to be level 14 to beat him, and it still took almost all my life bottles. This was only Moderate difficulty!

Same here.

Playing with two players, Jude can't do anything against Volt itself, so once they start respawning my Player 2's job was to keep them away. Still came down to a last-second Overlimit.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 21, 2014

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
For Shadow Volt control Gun-Ludger and link with Alvin, use their linked arte whenever possible. Jude is definitely useful, but only as a healer/link partner, set the AI to focus on staying away/alive as much as possible and pray it does it right. I beat it that way on hard after one failed attempt which I feel was kind of RNG bullshit since he did the super-pound three times in a row to kill everybody right-out.

What really helped was messing with the audio options a bit, so I could actually hear what the boss was saying. Like most tales of bosses, he calls his attacks before he does them and if you can hear them you'll be better equipped to deal with them no matter what the RNG decides. It's just, he's harder to hear normally.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Started up today with three other friends and we played up to Shadow Volt before calling it quits for the night. Main complaint aside from this arbitrary debt I'm having with the game is the fact that the character the plot seems to be centered around this time around starts out with no personality beyond "is a chef" and "whatever you choose his dialogue to be." Whereas, you know, all the other Tales games I've played gives you a main character with...a clear character to them from the start. Might be a complaint without merit since I'm unspoilt for things to come, but Xillia 2 and I have gotten off on the wrong foot so far.

Also, Tomatoes.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm having too much fun collecting cats and using Rollo to lead them on treasure hunts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I genuinely dislike is how nonviable it is to use anyone who isn't Ludgar in battle. I rarely enjoy playing as the protagonist more than one of the secondary dudes and that basically isn't an option here.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Why is that? I've been using Leia a little bit, and she seems fine. She has less Artes than him, but that's always how these games go.

Also, Leia's pretty much the best character so far from what I can tell, writing wise. She also has the best new costume.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, it's not completely nonviable or anything. Ludger gets most of the neat toys but all the others work fine too, and it's easy to switch who you're controlling mid-combat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Why is that? I've been using Leia a little bit, and she seems fine. She has less Artes than him, but that's always how these games go.

Also, Leia's pretty much the best character so far from what I can tell, writing wise. She also has the best new costume.

Other party members cycle in and out so regularly that focusing on one you like is pretty nonviable and Ludgar is also the guy who gets the insanely OP super mode which seriously puts him on a completely different tier than the other characters. It's just really clearly designed around "Ludgar as main character" with the assumption you wouldn't really overly care about playing other guys.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ludger also gets the only viable variety of weapon attributes (the only other character who is capable of using all of them to any extent at all is Alvin) and, as a result of having three movesets, has the best elemental variety of anyone except Muzet. And yeah, the AI will never use Chromatus. I've also never seen it cast Invitable, though to be fair, I was terrible at that as well.

I mean, all this is really reopening all my dissatisfaction with the whole experience of playing a free-range open-world cipher of a character who inserts himself into the Xillia cast like a bad fanfic, complete with manufactured bonding moments. The tight cast dynamic, both narrative and mechanical, in (most of) Xillia was one of the things I liked a lot about it, and really what carried the game (because it sure wasn't any of the maps).

But then, I've always thought the real question was going to be how much people care about Elle. How do y'all like Elle, anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

But then, I've always thought the real question was going to be how much people care about Elle. How do y'all like Elle, anyway?

I don't have any strong opinion on her so far. She has some pretty cute post-win skit quotes but otherwise 90% of her dialogue is "The Land of Cannan!"

I don't really feel like Ludgar is particularly fanfictiony precisely, aside from how any new character in a sequel feels a bit fanfictiony. He actually has some pretty fun dialogue options. However him being a mute protagonist makes him feel a lot weirder and more bland but at the same time he has just enough character that he doesn't work even as a Commander Shepard style player-avatar. His biggest problem is that he's too in the middle. He either should be his own character or not have any character that isn't player-guided. The "somewhere in the middle" idea doesn't work so hot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 21, 2014

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Caphi posted:

She's way better than I expected. Her english VA and the localization team did a heck of a job making her likeable and not super annoying, they could have really screwed that up badly if they weren't careful.

It's also funny how she sometimes acts as Ludger's stand-in "voice" during post-battle scenes and stuff so he's not just standing around and gesturing silently all the time.

Still relatively early on so I don't know what her real purpose in the story is, but it's fun having her around sassing people and interacting with the other characters. She fits in pretty well.

I also thought it was interesting how much Elize has changed since the first game. She's way more outgoing now and you almost never see her holding on to Teepo anymore, he just kinda hangs out floating around. Though I swear she's starting to sound more "princess-ey" at times, probably from all the hanging around Rowen and Driselle living the high-rollin' Sharilton life.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

If Looger had a forums account he would only ever emptyquote people, occasionally post a single-emoticon reply

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said, the writing is really odd. Characters appear and disappear really without rhyme or reason. A big example of this is after the first fight with Chronos, your party quickly jumps into a rift to escape him. Except when you get to the other side Elize is there despite having stayed behind with Rowen and Rowen is nowhere to be seen. People are also crazy unbothered early on before the plot Mcguffin is explained and all sorts of weird poo poo is going on.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, I've gotten to the point where they're talking about destroying entire worlds and it's getting kind of weird.

Elle is alright, but she does feel pretty fanfictiony when paired up with this cast. In fact, the way the old team sort of teams up with Ludger for no real reason early on seems weird to me too. I imagine Jude had a lot of work to do, so he really shouldn't be helping a guy who's doing nothing in particular other than paying off a debt, for instance.

Ludger himself is an odd case, since he's not really a silent protagonist, he just doesn't get to speak for himself often. He did give the most amazing face when I called Rowan a geezer, though.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Gaius is by far the best character in this whole game. He swings between extremely serious about everything to extremely confused about how to charge his cellphone.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I spent the longest time hunting those hogs trying to get some Tanned Leather and eventually I just abandoned the contracts. Took me 8 hours into the game to realize that I could send the cats to dungeons and field zones as well. :bang:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Eddain posted:

I spent the longest time hunting those hogs trying to get some Tanned Leather and eventually I just abandoned the contracts. Took me 8 hours into the game to realize that I could send the cats to dungeons and field zones as well. :bang:

I took me FOREVER to find some of those field cats though.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

I'm seriously considering just grabbing a map with all the cat locations on it like I did with the Aifread Treasures in the last game.

I took forever to realize that the Random Loot spots in Fractured Dimensions don't count towards the title. And I'm beginning to believe that Treasures gained in there don't either.

I just recently finished up the Leia side-story where they encounter the universe where Agria survived. :smith: This game has a good knack of making me feel bad for fictional characters. Leia in general seems to actually do more in this game, and she's much better for it.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 22, 2014

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The cats are the worst. As I'm beginning to see, a lot of the accessories, the best part of anything Xillia probably, are locked away behind the rare cat-only finds in each zone.

That and the majority of the side quests seem to be cat based, if that's what the pawprint symbol next to the required loot means.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Decus posted:

The cats are the worst. As I'm beginning to see, a lot of the accessories, the best part of anything Xillia probably, are locked away behind the rare cat-only finds in each zone.

That and the majority of the side quests seem to be cat based, if that's what the pawprint symbol next to the required loot means.

Just gotta get more cats.

I wish there was a way to get more of the items that speed up their return time though. Kitty Krisps sort of suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Just gotta get more cats.

I wish there was a way to get more of the items that speed up their return time though. Kitty Krisps sort of suck.

Unless it was a weird coincidence last time I loaded my file, I think the cat return times continue even when you're not playing, so send them out before you call it quits?

If this was a portable game, that sort of feature would be useful. On a PS3 it's considerably less.

• Locked thread