Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yuri murdered his way into our hearts.

In seriousness, it easily has the best cast/cast dynamics which is usually the only good part of the writing in a Tales of game (not that it's always good) and the combat system is good enough. It's not Graces but it'll do. I'd also say it's the first game of the series I've played where pretty much every playable character is fun and good, unlike in Symphonia.

e: The real best Tales of game is calling my including a poll dumb though.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Where'd the Vesperia love come from anyway? I thought it was pretty run of the mill for a Tales game, is it because it was the first Tales game people played or something?

Was also the first Tales with voiced skits and better-than-average voice acting. A lot of it comes from Yuri being an atypical hero though, I think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I suppose I can't really say anything since my personal favorite is Eternia, funnily enough.
I just thought Yuri was the only thing about Vesperia that stood out as unique, everything else seemed a by the numbers yet fun enough Tales of game and was wondering why it was held in such high regard.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Aviators are in the Sillea Tundra cat dispatch area.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
I really like the latter end of this game, story-wise. Once all of the characters arcs start to come together with the main story, it really goes up a notch.

e; also, Fractured Aska is loving hilarious

Murodese fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 24, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Vesperia is run of the mill but has a dog that smokes a pipe and was most likely a lot of people's first tales game. Its not anything special but it isn't bad either. Symphonia was also a lot of people's first Tales game which is annoying as its not very good and has be made retroactively poo poo by it's sequel.

From a lot of the posts here is looks like Xillia 2 can be safely skipped. If they are recycling levels from Xillia (which was already a recycling levels on its own) it sounds like it will quickly get boring.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 24, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's at least recycling things for logical reasons (it's one year later in the same world, so not THAT much will change) and there are quite a few areas scattered throughout the game as well.

But yeah it's a new story in a world you've mostly already seen. If that doesn't appeal to you don't bother.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RMZXAnarchy posted:

This is the first time I've heard somebody call Destiny 2 good.

Though maybe you just mean the gameplay and not the characters.

Should be the opposite. The characters other than Kyle and Reala are actually pretty fun, and if anything, the problem is that the game doesn't care enough about them. (Especially Harold. Play the game for Harold. Especially if you liked Pascal.)

The gameplay, on the other hand, punishes you as Kyle or Loni for trying to engage any enemy other than the one(s) who deign to be out front, and the boss fight everyone says is the greatest thing in the world in theory is actually just there to spite you for having AI characters.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I just really like Vesperia because it's the full package. You don't have to give any "but"s when talking about it, except maybe to mention that it still has an obtuse sidequest system. Like, Graces probably has the best combat system (though I still find I enjoy traditional TP systems more, for some reason), but you always have to give a warning that the story sucks. Xillia did interesting things with the combat and has pretty good character interaction, but was rushed as hell and has really boring area design.

I feel that, while Vesperia only REALLY shines in the characters, it doesn't drop the ball in any particular area. It looks good, has a good variety of non-DLC costumes and attachments, areas look varied, combat is fun, even the overall plot is pretty cool (until the third act). It's just, in my opinion, the full package Tales game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, the plot going to poo poo in the third act is kind of a 'but,' but nothing's perfect.

Also, am I the only one having trouble making use of all of Ludger's movesets? Two would be fine, it'd just be like a Graces character sort of, but three feels like too many and it's kind of hard to keep all three movesets in mind while doing combos. I often find myself ignoring guns unless the enemy's specifically weak to them or I'm linking with Alvin. The fact that the switch input is two buttons instead of one doesn't help - sometimes I accidentally mash it out and get swords when I want guns or hammer when I want swords, or whatever.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Sometimes I accidentally open the "full info" pane because I usually only switch weapons AFTER checking out an enemy's weaknesses and it's the same buttons, just in a different order.

Also I really hate how most of my partners seem to only have link attacks for one of Ludger's weapon types.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

This is the first time I've heard somebody call Destiny 2 good.

Though maybe you just mean the gameplay and not the characters.

Well yes. By the same team as Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth probably has arguably one of the worst plots in JRPG history, but its gameplay is strong.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FSLink posted:

Well yes. By the same team as Destiny 2, Tales of Rebirth probably has arguably one of the worst plots in JRPG history, but its gameplay is strong.

That was the recurring pattern of the old Team Destiny games, the plots were garbage but the gameplay was more experimental and in many cases, much more fun than the Team Symphonia games which were basically small incremental improvements on Symphonia's gameplay. Ancient history now since neither team exist anymore.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So I'm curious, I just got to Trigleph in Xillia 1. About how much of the game is left at this point?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I just got the dual gats for Ludger and I've got to say it's becoming increasingly more difficult to want to play any other character.

I am now praying one of his artes involves gangsta style shooting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Skeezy posted:

So I'm curious, I just got to Trigleph in Xillia 1. About how much of the game is left at this point?
You're pretty much in the final stretch. You could finish it in an afternoon at this point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Skeezy posted:

Like a couple dungeons and the scraps of a post-game.

Also for Xillia 2, how do I do the special thing for the elite monster in Bermia Gorge? I can't seem to shoot into its mouth (which is what I think I'm supposed to do) reliably.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah, I open the enemy info panel by accident when trying to swap weapons too. But, haven't played as Ludger much after Gaius joined other than to have fun with Guns+Muzet Limo.

Don't really get the complaints about being discouraged from playing as other characters though--it's a Tales of game so you'll be quick-swapping in battle anyway on the higher difficulties, may as well quick-swap (still L1+D-Pad) back to Ludger just to Chromatus and main somebody else. It's what I've been doing and it feels fine. Sure, Ludger AI is terrible compared to the player's, since he'll swap weapons just to hammer heal or something and forget to swap back to hit weaknesses, but you should say that about every character. Milla still fireballs things that are literally on fire, for instance, and Jude/Alvin/Leia don't really understand their special mechanics at all, don't know if Rowen even can spell tune and outside of skills that set it I don't think Elize Teepo Switches, etc.

The cats definitely got less annoying once I checked a japanese wiki. My issue was I kept trying to clear out Duval, but you can't get the last item until the cats have found all of the area's cats/other items. Duval's last cat is sidequest locked as are a few others I think.

Oh, also, you can take screenshots with PS button->pictures in this game. Loan Lady is insane. Now we can all share screenshots of our ridiculous attachment setups.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Decus posted:

The cats definitely got less annoying once I checked a japanese wiki. My issue was I kept trying to clear out Duval, but you can't get the last item until the cats have found all of the area's cats/other items. Duval's last cat is sidequest locked as are a few others I think.

Note: the Duval cat is the ONLY missable one (chapter 9 is where the sidequest occurs.) Every other one cannot be missed.

Edit: \/ those choices don't have a huge impact. Most choices are about raising influence with different characters or the order you experience events. For example: you have a choice of two destinations coming up and the plot works out slightly different (and character conversations change quite a bit) because you'll be meeting different characters at different times.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 24, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh hey look, Abyss is at the bottom of the poll. As usual. :sigh:

So anyway I just got to Chapter 2, and I'm curious: did any of my previous choices matter at all? Like, if I had chosen to save the CEO instead of the girl would it not have put me into bizarro hyper-time? Or if I just hosed off instead of getting on the train would something contrived happen to make me get on it anyway?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mokinokaro posted:

Note: the Duval cat is the ONLY missable one (chapter 9 is where the sidequest occurs.) Every other one cannot be missed.

Is that the cat Julius?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Is this DURING mission 9, or between 9 and 10?

I just finished 8 (the Gaius one) so this would be good to know.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SpazmasterX posted:

Is that the cat Julius?

I certainly hope so, or else I missed it.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I don't think they put too much effort into Muzét's 'walking' animation. It looks all stuttery if you as much as turn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say, the gambling game in Xillia 2 is the most hilariously broken (in the player's favor) gambling game I've ever seen.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shere posted:

I feel like I was doing everything I should have, but even on moderate it was kind of an awful slog. I haven't really gotten 'into' the game, I might just be neglecting gear and giving all of my money to the annoying anime loan shark or something.

I'm thinking that this game is probably not nearly as well balanced on higher difficulties as Xillia 1 was. I've been playing on Hard and have had to replay the boss fights I've come across (Debating whether or not to give up Hard mode for Volt because gently caress grinding).

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say, the gambling game in Xillia 2 is the most hilariously broken (in the player's favor) gambling game I've ever seen.

Where's that at?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

Where's that at?

Do the Tengu Mask sidequest (the mask is on a cat in one of the later towns) and then talk to the guy at the Noir Bar.

It's basic poker with three major differences:

A) You are not playing against an opponent so getting at least a two-pair is a draw.
B) There are Joker cards which can fill in for any card in a potential set.
C) You get the chance to play high/low to double your winnings after winning, which repeats until you give up or lose.

The prizes include insanely good extractors, costumes and attachments for multiple characters, and rare items. Also the profit you can turn makes buying everything a breeze. I was able to afford the most expensive items after a single win.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I thought video games weren't legally allowed to have simulated gambling in them anymore, or some poo poo?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

ImpAtom posted:

Do the Tengu Mask sidequest (the mask is on a cat in one of the later towns) and then talk to the guy at the Noir Bar.

A) You are not playing against an opponent so getting at least a two-pair is a draw.
C) You get the chance to play high/low to double your winnings after winning, which repeats until you give up or lose.

The prizes include insanely good extractors, costumes and attachments for multiple characters, and rare items. Also the profit you can turn makes buying everything a breeze. I was able to afford the most expensive items after a single win.

If you have ever played another tales game from Abyss onwards you will realize that this has always been true. I think the only difference is that i'm pretty sure Abyss and Vesperia limited your High/Low doubling power to just 10 rounds of High/Low.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

I thought video games weren't legally allowed to have simulated gambling in them anymore, or some poo poo?

Don't know of that law and if it existed I imagine it'd be by state if you mean in the US. If you mean in japan, hahahaha; I highly doubt a pachinko country could have such a law.

Phantasium posted:

I'm thinking that this game is probably not nearly as well balanced on higher difficulties as Xillia 1 was. I've been playing on Hard and have had to replay the boss fights I've come across (Debating whether or not to give up Hard mode for Volt because gently caress grinding).

This remains very true. I've had to turn about half of them up to chapter 9 down to moderate whereas Xillia was easily hard all the way first playthrough (outside of maybe the bermia gorge boss, I think I turned it down for that). I think it's partially the forced parties, partially the forced weapon/gear growth curves (gotta love the shadow weapons from dark weak boss still being the best stats by the time you hit dark resist boss) and largely some of them just having the dickest of moves for what their stats are on hard since even with micro half the AI is still going to eat it instantly, though setting their strategy to panic mode helps.

I also had to turn the difficulty down to moderate for the Lava Tubes, but I think that might've been my party composition more than anything. AI gets wrecked by bat flamethrowers and gentlefreets.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also should mention that on Hard, the gun tutorial with Ivar is treated like a very lame boss fight, where he's given like 20,000 HP you have to chew through by juggling him in the air for something like 5 minutes. Try to do anything else and you just get loving ruined in something like 5 hits.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

Oh poo poo, time to savescum myself approximately 19 million gald.

Unless the payouts are tokens or something. :mad:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SpazmasterX posted:

They are, but you can cash them in for salable materials.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpazmasterX posted:

They're tokens but you can get rare-rear end items from it which you can then sell.

Iolite Ore is 5000 coins and sells for 20,000 gald.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 25, 2014

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Vesperia's was actually better since you actually continued the double up as a sliding system, so you could actually gauge risk, instead of double blind.

Also I don't recall losing more often than not to the same bloody card.

The Chapter 12 Boss is brutally unfun. Holy gently caress, they design the game around Power Combos then make a boss with no weakness so you're forced to waste your drat time Guarding for 4 seconds for Power Charge 3 while he guard breaks and status loads you if he so much as touches you. Then he'll just flip out of any actual combos you try anyway because the instant he isn't being attacked he recovers. Cripes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Spiffo posted:

Is this DURING mission 9, or between 9 and 10?

I just finished 8 (the Gaius one) so this would be good to know.

Between 9 and 10. IIRC, it's an event quest from the contract guy but it MIGHT be a character episode.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
How much post-game content is in ToX2? I was disappointed by how little post-game there was in the first Xillia game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Eggie posted:

How much post-game content is in ToX2? I was disappointed by how little post-game there was in the first Xillia game.

There's a postgame dungeon, as usual. The gimmick is that you can only take in party members with whom you have 8 or more hearts, and in my experience, playing through the game ordinarily, landing most of the correct answers and doing a solid share of job-grinding but not pushing Friendship Juice real hard or anything, I finished with everyone at 6-7. It took quite a bit of poker to get one character (Muzet) up to 8. Frankly, I haven't gotten too far into that dungeon, though; I was already well burnt out on the game at the time and I wasn't prepared to grind more Friendship to get more party members in.

There's also all the stuff that comes out of extra monsters/items, like jobs and crafting, and of course all your standard completion stuff (books, missions, challenges, cats).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm quite disappointed that Teepo no longer shouts "SHARING IS CARING!" :downs: every five seconds in battle when I'm linked with Elize.

Edit: Also, the thread really hyped up Shadow Volt, but really all I had trouble with was the adds constantly swarming in. Guns are so loving OP at this point I just linked with Alvin, and air juggled the guy to death. Granted I'm only on moderate, I guess.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 25, 2014

• Locked thread