Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I would say these things about the XDR-LMBS as well:

1) Weakness chaining is sort of back. If you hit a weakness, a timer starts during which that weakness extends to further combo hits (hitting it again extends it).

2) Everyone's weapons and artes are subject to Ludger's slash/blunt/shot attribute system, which is a new part of putting together parties since enemies are often resistant to some weapon types (in addition to elemental types). In exchange, and to interact with the first part, some physical party members are given artes that are bad in themselves but let them open with an alternate weapon type, such as Jude getting a slashing drop attack.

3) Rejoice - Mystic Artes are triggered from Link Artes rather than Arcane Artes, and correspondingly, you can trigger your follower's instead. You can do it the old way in the postgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Overbite posted:

If I think Xillia 1 has the worst Tales combat since Eternity will I like this? I don't like anything about it up to and including the orb system, links, the way overlimits work, the general feel, and how I need to have it on semi-auto in order to not jump around everywhere and miss all my attacks.

No, it's got some enhancements and a very different growth scheme (I think it's worse but if you hated the Lyrial Orb I have no idea how you'll feel about it) but it's the same basic engine, same Link Artes schema, and everything.

(I hope your objection to Eternia doesn't have anything to do with the Craymel Cage because the Craymel Cage system was amazing in a way that they have literally never gotten in the same paradigm to ever again.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You should have plenty of money if you're doing quests. The problem is that at every phase of the game until chapter 14 or so, you get a collections call every single time you open your wallet if you have more than a specific amount (generally the total debt installment size for that chapter). So you can pay her off to go below that amount, and then she'll call you again if you breach it again.

So either you can have your wallet locked down, or you can pay off 10 gald every single time you finish a battle, visit a shop, find any money on the ground, or change areas.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

xov posted:

I'm that weird guy who stood around in every single dungeon in ToGF grinding monsters with Dark Potions on until I got their monster orb or whatever, so I will probably also be that weird guy who finds a weird spot to settle down and just grind gajillions of gald while simultaneously grinding something else that I find desirable at the time.

Good news! ToX2 introduces a new system that just straight up demands you grind each (non-unique) enemy hundreds of times. Each enemy gives a bit of permanent bonus SP to a specific character when you kill your 15th, 45th, and 200th.

(I'm pretty sure "unique" also includes any enemy only found in a Timeline or other region that goes away or stops having enemies, though. So... there's that?)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Erg posted:

Do the returning characters get a lot of new artes, or is it mostly a retread of the last game's set? And are there more link artes now? It was disappointing in the original how the non-viewpoint party members only had 3 or 4 combinations with each other.

They're mostly from X1, and each character also gets a couple of extras. Like, Jude gets an aerial drop that's ice/slashing, Alvin gets a blunt opener and the Charging Strike arte which is kind of what he needed all along (if he has no charges, it gives him one immediately), that sort of thing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, he's beatable. You use Nakishigure (there is no source for the English names of these that I know of, I'll change it if I get filled in) to break its guard, but I can't for the life of me remember what I did afterwards because the arte ends with a knockdown and Azure Edge doesn't stand him back up. Maybe you just hit him while he's down.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ludger also gets the only viable variety of weapon attributes (the only other character who is capable of using all of them to any extent at all is Alvin) and, as a result of having three movesets, has the best elemental variety of anyone except Muzet. And yeah, the AI will never use Chromatus. I've also never seen it cast Invitable, though to be fair, I was terrible at that as well.

I mean, all this is really reopening all my dissatisfaction with the whole experience of playing a free-range open-world cipher of a character who inserts himself into the Xillia cast like a bad fanfic, complete with manufactured bonding moments. The tight cast dynamic, both narrative and mechanical, in (most of) Xillia was one of the things I liked a lot about it, and really what carried the game (because it sure wasn't any of the maps).

But then, I've always thought the real question was going to be how much people care about Elle. How do y'all like Elle, anyway?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Kurui Reiten posted:

Can someone explain the Alilililium Orb to me a bit better, please? The game seems to be saying that you just keep getting Ore, and it adds to whatever your Extractor is linked to, and I'm not sure where that maxes out or whatever. So I'm wondering if I'm supposed to just swap them around occasionally when I start receiving too little Ore to matter, or what. It would be nice if seeing future skills was a little less obtuse, or was even possible for that matter. I'm guessing Extractors make no difference in what skills come from what Elements, and just control what each Ore feeds into? So if I say, switch to a different Water one when I get one, I'll be feeding into the same set I already was, just at a differing rate?

I dunno, it sounds like it's simple and obtuse at the same time. Am I overthinking it?

Also I kinda don't wanna buy equipment since I've got this debt to pay off, but I'm guessing as I go on money won't become so much of an issue, right?

Clarification: I'm only at like Chapter 3, I think, when all I've got is still Jude and Ludger, and still only the twin swords for Ludger. So, really early still.

What you get is fixed, either down one element or between two adjacent ones but basically you're always going to get attack and fire artes and whatever on Flame or Beacon or Lightning, or whatever. The reason to switch is because the spacing gets wider as you go deeper down each element, so at any given time you want to focus on the ones that have stuff coming up sooner, or if nothing interesting is forthcoming, the ones that are lowest because odds are they've got something relatively close, even if only because they're dragging a shared track down.

But your guess is basically correct that the only thing that matters are your point levels.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

wdarkk posted:

By the way, could someone list what elemental levels you need to get res spells for the characters that have them? It'd be really nice to have one.

The wiki I'm looking at says they get them by level, the lowest being Elise. Sorry.

Momomo posted:

Is there any way to get more items when sending out cats? I pretty much never get the last two items on the list in each area.

There are specific days of the week where a subset of areas get a large bonus to the last item (which is always a single, ordinarily rare accessory or cat weapon).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Really, just make it eternally Wednesday until you have the accessories and then Sunday for materials.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RMZXAnarchy posted:

This is the first time I've heard somebody call Destiny 2 good.

Though maybe you just mean the gameplay and not the characters.

Should be the opposite. The characters other than Kyle and Reala are actually pretty fun, and if anything, the problem is that the game doesn't care enough about them. (Especially Harold. Play the game for Harold. Especially if you liked Pascal.)

The gameplay, on the other hand, punishes you as Kyle or Loni for trying to engage any enemy other than the one(s) who deign to be out front, and the boss fight everyone says is the greatest thing in the world in theory is actually just there to spite you for having AI characters.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh poo poo, time to savescum myself approximately 19 million gald.

Unless the payouts are tokens or something. :mad:

They are, but you can cash them in for salable materials.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Eggie posted:

How much post-game content is in ToX2? I was disappointed by how little post-game there was in the first Xillia game.

There's a postgame dungeon, as usual. The gimmick is that you can only take in party members with whom you have 8 or more hearts, and in my experience, playing through the game ordinarily, landing most of the correct answers and doing a solid share of job-grinding but not pushing Friendship Juice real hard or anything, I finished with everyone at 6-7. It took quite a bit of poker to get one character (Muzet) up to 8. Frankly, I haven't gotten too far into that dungeon, though; I was already well burnt out on the game at the time and I wasn't prepared to grind more Friendship to get more party members in.

There's also all the stuff that comes out of extra monsters/items, like jobs and crafting, and of course all your standard completion stuff (books, missions, challenges, cats).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Dastardly posted:

Well, after spending hours swearing at virtual poker and to see if I get something out of obtaining over a million chips I've now paid off like 4 million of my debt in advance and gotten some swanky no jacket costumes for my guys.
I swear I'll be stuck playing poker for the rest of the week. :cripes:

The recommended way to game poker is by doing the Arena, where you can loot Golden Dice.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyone got the bad end yet?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They're the same weapons. In the postgame you can craft them into the un-Sealed versions which have their proper names.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What's the one where she tries to "be cute about it"?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No, I remember that one. In the one I'm wondering about she comes right out and says "I tried to make it cute so it wouldn't seem so bad!"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I like how out of those three, Ruca is the one described as "classic."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yinlock posted:

First Emil and now Luca, Ludger just doesn't get a break with his character costumes does he. Why wouldn't you want to be the worst Tales protagonist or the weakest-character-in-his-own-game???

Because they both have alternate forms, I'd think. (The only other candidate was Caius, and it'd be a bit weird to make Chromatus look like a giant werewolf fursuit.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm confused. My memory just says it's whatever is conceptually the thing most responsible for the difference between the two timelines, and the "catalystization" or whatever they call it desyncs the user from their timeline. That makes perfect sense to me. Where's all this "transfer" stuff coming from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Current? The last time spirits have been used as a gameplay element at all was Symphonia. Vesperia only used them in Ultimate Elements, and Graces used a different set.

• Locked thread