Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your favorite Tales of game?
Why did you include a poll? This is dumb.
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Graces
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of the Abyss
One of the other ones.
View Results

• Locked thread
Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Do you know the mutton man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Oh man, if that guy is back that's going to be fantastic. 22nd is so far away despite being in only two days. :(

That guy is back

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Shakugan posted:

I was pretty underwhelmed by Xillia 1. Is Xillia 2 a better game?

The game opens up with weird scenes that don't make no sense and don't get explained and for some reason nobody talks about, and then Noel Vermillion gives you a 20,000,000 gald medical bill and nags you to pay her money over and over. You aren't allowed to proceed with the plot unless you go out to slay bears and collect bear asses MMO-style for a bit first. As far as I can tell, the whole game will be like this (I just unlocked the second "pay me" barrier to travel).

edit: as a canadian the concept of a mandatory bajillion-dollar medical bill is hilarious

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 20, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Holy poo poo Shadow Volt is pretty hard. I had to be level 14 to beat him, and it still took almost all my life bottles. This was only Moderate difficulty!

Same here.

Playing with two players, Jude can't do anything against Volt itself, so once they start respawning my Player 2's job was to keep them away. Still came down to a last-second Overlimit.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 21, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

If Looger had a forums account he would only ever emptyquote people, occasionally post a single-emoticon reply

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Just gotta get more cats.

I wish there was a way to get more of the items that speed up their return time though. Kitty Krisps sort of suck.

Unless it was a weird coincidence last time I loaded my file, I think the cat return times continue even when you're not playing, so send them out before you call it quits?

If this was a portable game, that sort of feature would be useful. On a PS3 it's considerably less.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

How do I add new locations to the kitty dispatch?

I can't seem to send them to Marksburg

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've seen people dislike Alvin because of what that scene with him and Leia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKGbjym43o

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I'd say it's worse than Xillia, but it's still playable.

Ludger comes off as an autistic retard babyman, because while everyone else is chatting and asking him questions he can only manage half-grunts like he's choking on a piece of food

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Note: the Duval cat is the ONLY missable one (chapter 9 is where the sidequest occurs.) Every other one cannot be missed.

Is this DURING mission 9, or between 9 and 10?

I just finished 8 (the Gaius one) so this would be good to know.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Can someone explain how the Cat Dispatch works? It sounds great-- most things involving cats are-- but it also sounds sort of confusing.

They just give you extra free materials. Some of them are rare materials for completing quests. Each area has a list of materials that they can yield, and as your cats bring stuff back that list will get filled in.

You pick an area for the cats to search, click Send, and a few minutes later you'll get your stuff. Then you can send them out again. There's no drawback to having them do this, so you should be sending them out all the time. Kitty Crisps, etc, make them come back faster.

New areas become searchable when you find a cat there.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

JavaJesus posted:

The quest log (which includes jobs you've taken in the "Underway" section) is somewhere in the Library, but if you go into the options you can set it to be the menu that opens when you click L3.

Thank you for this tip

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I have to say I'm a big fan of the Tales of Eternia easter egg in everyone's ringtone

edit: of course, that's because Eternia is actually the best game

edit: haha holy poo poo, the devil arm "Sealed Eternia" is the sword from Shizel's Eternal Finality

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 26, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mortabis posted:

How many players can play in co-op in this one?

Same as Xillia 1

Supports four players, but because of how the characters link it functionally supports two.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Exoplasma is a weird fight and I hated everything about it at first. Once you figure out the copies of him have elemental weaknesses it becomes a pretty fun fight right up until there's two of them left. I kept killing one to have the other revive him. Turned into this frustrating back and forth until I wised up and just killed both at once. I don't think I had any mystic artes yet when I took him down though, probably made it harder than it needed to be.

What's the trick to this guy anyway? Does his health drop every time he splits off, and you have to take out the copies? Or can he generate the copies for free?

ImpAtom posted:

Is there any explanation at all for why Ludgar's Voice is a NG+ option by the way? That's completely bewildering to me.

Wait, is this a thing? It is just a little extra or does he actually talk like a normal person everybody else in NG+?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Either I suck at poker or I'm just really tired. Most likely both.

It's pretty much random chance.

Once you have the chips to not worry about the initial 100 bet, it's just grinding against the RNG. High on 8 or lower, Low on 9 or higher, eventually the cards will come up right where you win the High or Low and get like 70,000 chips in one shot.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

If you really want to game it you just need the coins to buy Gold and Silver Dice from the prize counter. Buy both, save, use them, reload if you don't get an exceptionally good turnout, have enough coins to buy everything you need effortlessly.

Gold and Silver dice only help you with your initial hand though, right? Because the real money happens after...

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Decus posted:

Or you do what I do and bet against the probability a lot. The game rewards me for that more often than not. Throw me a jack, game? I just know you'll toss out a queen or king because either: 1) tales poker hates probability 2) it's actually running on a 1/3 chance for every hand, lower, higher or match with the cards randomly picked to make sense after the fact or something similar.

I'd probably need to play a bunch of hands with a spreadsheet in front of me to solid confirm the second possibility, but it seems a lot more likely than it should with the amount of matches everybody has been reporting and the frequency at which it loves tossing out low cards on a 3 or 4 and high cards on a jack or queen.

I've had more luck with the bets that I listed - it's perfectly possibly for the lovely odds to just "happen" to come up, especially when you're playing a given High or Low match something like eight times in a row.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I found Quickie

He's hanging out in the environs in chapter 12, just past where Jude sees the little glowing dog spyrite. It's sitting on a railing on the Elympion side of Marksburg.

http://i.imgur.com/xKg3u6W.jpg

edit: there are a bunch of quickies hanging around actually. I also found a cheagle!

http://i.imgur.com/qCHLu98.jpg

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 29, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

I used High/Low to get my chips up to about 10,000 or so, only doing double-or-nothing twice or so before cashing in.

Once you have enough chips that you can basically play forever (at the maximum 100-chip bet of course) then it just comes down to luck. Eventually you randomly get a good run and it gives you something like 60,000 chips in one go. High on 8, Low on 9, also 8 and 9 themselves suck a lot because they're basically 50/50 (which is awful when you're flipping so many times in a row).

I just hit a million chips and I'm disappointed that there is no skit about it (perhaps telling me to stop)

edit: lol happened to draw 5-of-a-kind. Double-or-nothing'd it up to 640,000 then lost it all.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 30, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Momomo posted:

Library -> Events -> In Progress (I think it's called)

I believe it's "Underway"

Someone in the thread mentioned that you can also go into your options and change the L3 shortcut to immediately go to your jobs. It's really really useful (the default is Food, and Allium Orbs are also an option)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I thought it was that they would burn all the spyrix to the ground, and this would necessarily reduce Elympios to a post-apocalyptic state.

I believe the plan was "destroy all spyrix, then dispel the schism when they're all gone". Dispelling the schism gives mana back, and the spyrix would otherwise just eat it all again. Jude's objection was that the people of Elympios NEED spyrix right now, and they need time to move to spyrite tech. You'd basically destroy their way of life cutting them off cold turkey. To which I say, tough. What makes spirit lives any more valuable than human lives? Does Jude want us to stay comfortable for a while, sacrificing spirits on the altar of spyrix in the mean time?

Gaius was completely in the right, it needed to stop now, and if that gives humanity a push to research spyrite technology along then hurry up and get on it. Instead Jude wanted to use the mana from the schism to power the spyrix while we transition off (and I can't remember: was that even his plan? Or was his plan "stop Gaius, figure the rest out later?). And then the ol' human inertia kicked in, Jude has had to fight an uphill battle against it to get spyrite technology going (like Gaius said he would) and meanwhile Elympios starting warring with Rieze Maxia using their spyrix (like Gaius said they would). Jude has to race against the clock to get spyrites up and running before the mana runs dry again, whereas Gaius' solution, while admittedly cold-hearted, fixes the problem immediately and for good.

ImpAtom posted:

Well, they were going "man, gently caress those guys, I don't care if this kills them."

It's true, people would die because some hospitals and pacemakers and stuff use Spyrix. I understand his position, my local hospital is powered by burning the Irish, electricity is expensive and cutting off the people inside would just be cruel.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 3, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

In Xillia 2 there's spyrix-powered FOOD PRODUCTION so I'm pretty sure it'd be a lot worse than that.

Rieze Maxia is a way bigger world with lots of mana, and also returning the mana would mean crops would eventually start growing again on Elympios as well. Gaius, as king of rieze maxia, is in the position to help them once the problem is dealt with.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Momomo posted:

I guess I've forgotten Xillia's plot a little too much, because I remember Gaius' plan actually involving mass murder. I guess it was just incredibly valuable resources that he'd kill off, but I don't really think that makes it much better, especially when an alternative is literally already in the making.

If it were any other resource I'd agree that he's going too far, but without valuable spyrites wasn't the plan to pretty much just dispel the schism? That plan ALSO involves mass murder - it's just not the humans getting murdered but spirits instead. At least, until we run out of mana again, then I guess we get our turn.

I should probably review the last bit of Xillia to figure out the details of which bits of info came in which order.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Gaius didn't want to dispel the schism. He wanted to leave it intact and manually destroy all the spyrix so they didn't steal R-M's mana. He was the polar opposite of the Exodus guys who wanted to use R-M as a mana battery. The heroes want to dispel the schism to build up time to make Spyrites but it comes at a risk that if they fail, both worlds are hosed. The point of dispelling the schism is that the mana used to make it is returned to the world and gives it a boost that will hopefully let it last until they make Spyrites.

I thought Gaius was ALSO going to dispel the Schism using that bigass dimensional sword. Am I remembering wrong? What was his plan with the Elympios guys? Maxwell was the one who decided to just let Elympios rot, Gaius usurped Maxwell because he had other plans.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, you're right, I just looked up the scenes. The reason I thought he was going to dispel the schism once the spyrix were gone is because that's the plan we came up with when we beat the game and chatted about it (misremembered that conversation as something that actually happened in the game).

It's good that Jude finally gets it all working though

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Amppelix posted:

Okay, I just came up to the, I'm assuming first, fight with Chronos. I took one look at the stats (I just fought a boss with about half these stats!) and said to myself "Oh, I know what this is, this is the fight really difficult boss earlygame and lose thing!" And then I got game over. Welp, here I come normal difficulty.

His tetra spell is also brutal and unfair.

If you get him far enough into the fight, he summons the Dhaos orbs to rotate around him. The orbs make him resist all physical attacks. (If you pound on him, you can break the orb that protects him. He'll lose his resistance to that attack. If you break all three orbs, he gains a WEAKNESS to all three physical elements)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Is there some trick to defeating the Labari Hollow Giganto monster? Because holy hell that thing is ridiculous.

Yeah, it's gross. Bring lots of items, and if you can manage two players it'll go a lot better.

- Command your CPU characters to hang back and defend, so they don't accidentally heal the thing and be useless.
- For this reason, Elise is handy because she's a good healer.
- If it's possible to tell your CPU allies to target enemy weakness, then yeah do that. It's important.
- For some reason the fucker had like a bajillion health when I finally got around to beating him. WAAAY huger than when I tried to fight him the first time. Did they silently replace him with an EX version or what, he's nuts!! Sucks to be you if you beat the game already.
- The dude loses a big chunk of health every time he splits. This is where most of your damage comes from. Target the clones' weaknesses.
- Everything you do heals him. It's not 1:1 though, so an attack that would normally do 1000 damage won't heal him 1000, it'll be less. So you can cut loose on the clones and not worry too much about splash damage healing him back up.
- When you're transformed, your attacks are typeless so you can hurt him lots there. The chromatus mystic arte is good too.
- I'm told that Power Charge 3 helps. You sit there and guard until you get the level 3 charge, and then your next hit will be a power hit (read: weakness). You might be able to do some cool combo stuff with that? We beat him by just splitting him over and over and it took ages.

Worst boss by far

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Any tips for the expert Colosseum? I was able to get through most of it with Rowen and Leia (Rowen is a damage hose, Fireball Wind Lance and Tidal Wave are really good) but then I got slaughtered by Celsius and Muzet. The former has enough health that Fireball abuse just isn't enough to push through, and then I get killed.

Do I need to swap in Ludger?

edit: tag mode

edit2: I tried it again and Gaius showed up instead of Muzet and killed me in one hit

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 5, 2014

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Tricky posted:

How do you unlock the higher tag arena difficulties? I have advanced and elite party unlocked, but only normal tag.

Also, is there a new shop I should be gearing up at before I dig too far into the Illusionary Darkness?

The party ones unlock by game progress and by killing elite marks.

The tag ones unlock by game progress, and by doing the earlier ones repeatedly. So being Novice three times should unlock Advanced, and Advanced three times will unlock Expert.

Expert is broken, I just tried it again and the final foes are unstaggerable and kill you in one hit. The challenge is on par with someone reaching over and slapping the controller out of your hand.

The new supershop is in Orda Palace, third floor. You can buy treats and specifics there, and the custom shop unlocks the best items in the games (including Omega Elixirs)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

pichupal posted:

It's random. Milla with Aerial Spell and Bind is another annoying person to run in to. The first time I beat it I think I had Wingul and Rowen. you'll occasionally luck out with an easier pair. Ludger definitely helps, but having a Mystic Arte ready might help if you don't want to use him. It's really difficult either way.

I fought them three times. First time was Celsius and Muzet. Can't remember which team I brought in, it might have been Rowen and Leia. Second and third time it was Celsius and Gaius. Both times. So maybe it depends on which team you bring in?

Anyway the fight sucks and is dumb and I think I'm done with Xillia 2. The Tales series has always had challenges that they expect you to use NG+ to beat (usually just the higher difficulties), I've never had one stonewall me like this before. It pretty clearly wants me to use EXP boosts if I want to level up any farther, and Xillia 2 ain't good enough to want to go through a second time right now.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Just to check how bullshit the tag arena boss is, I brought in Ludger and cranked the difficulty all the way down to easy. Enemies die in one hit. The bosses still do way too much damage and don't flinch from anything. The postgame is absolutely not worth it.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

You picked the one that is specifically a joke.

Also is there a goddamn map of the Land of Canaan? I just can't seem to remember how I navigated it the first time.

Omega Demon Chaos :getin:

The bits of the final dungeon that fade out and in will change every time. There will obviously always be a way through, but you have to find your way each time.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Seriously. How did Alvin and Leia get so buddy-buddy after he shot her, again? The midpoint of the first game is such a clusterfuck.

I'm accompanying you guys, whether you like it or not :)

If a villain was insisting on following us and getting in our way, we'd kick his rear end!

i just figured out a solution to our alvin problem

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

McTimmy posted:

There's no drop rate food but using the Cat Weapons and Monocles should get you through.

Also Leia gets abilities that help with both stealing items as well as raising the drop rate. If her affinity isn't high enough, equip her with Bonds of Shadow to take her in.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Is there any place aside from the optional dungeon to gain levels at 85+? Also, where's the XP food? I heard there's a vendor that unlocks at some point but I forgot where.

New Game Plus grade shop bonuses

AFAIK, this is the first Tales game to put so much of the postgame content out of reach for your first playthrough

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Is there a guide to the bonus dungeon? I just realized I'm not 100% sure which door is which character, which may be why I'm not getting any Unicorn Horns.

I saw one in Japanese, but I don't think there are any English ones.

If you draw a little map you can at least map out where you've been. In the first set the boss is someone related to that character (Rowen's is Nactigal for example) and in the second set it's a shadow version of that character. Strangely, this means there are two Jude bosses and two Milla bosses. Milla's route ends in a weaker Shadow Jude and Jude's ends with a weaker Shadow Milla. Then in the second set they end with the proper stronger version of themselves.

The doors are also somewhat color-coded I think? Leia's door is reddish, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

McTimmy posted:

As Milla was the Divergence Catalyst, but was killed by something other than the Chromatus, the Catalyst itself survived and floated over to the next divergent object. Which is why you run into Catalyst monsters and items. Not that a wedding ring before anything actually changes is that huge a difference.

This is from a few pages back re: divergent catalysts

It's still insanely silly for the catalyst to transfer over to some bucket of rocks

• Locked thread