Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

This is the new August 2014 chat thread! Bring your shitposting and derails here. Unless they're the same crap that got the last chat thread killed, in which case

GenCon happened to some people. What was big news? What was funny news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014
So i've been playing the backer beta of pillars of eternity, and one of the most OP builds is a bard who can summon skeletons. Just fyi.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

A Catastrophe posted:

So i've been playing the backer beta of pillars of eternity, and one of the most OP builds is a bard who can summon skeletons. Just fyi.

Holy poo poo that sounds magical, I should see if I am allowed to get that

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
So currently I'm working on a 5e setting where Skeletons overrun everything, a summoner class and a source book for Dungeon World based on materialism (like precious gem golems, a town made up of support beams and carpets, a class based on having loads of money, etc etc).

What are you guys working on?

Anything 5e?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am vaguely poking at an Inverse world Compendium Class based around a throwaway line in one of the lantern advanced moves about stitching light into an injured person's soul to give them functioning limbs made of solid light.

Because "My fist is now a laser" seems just about right for a Compendium Class.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Trollhawke posted:

So currently I'm working on a 5e setting where Skeletons overrun everything, a summoner class and a source book for Dungeon World based on materialism (like precious gem golems, a town made up of support beams and carpets, a class based on having loads of money, etc etc).

Anything 5e?

Apocalypse engine game about playing fantasy villains. Still in pre-alpha.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Still working on the dumbass fast-and-loose lethal dungeon crawler I've been working on on and off for the past year. I have recently had revelations regarding some of the mechanics that fix a shitload of the problems I was having though!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Developing a D&D Heartbreaker where I try to combine 3e's goofy multiclassing with 4e's compelling tactical combat and make everything simpler while putting more narrative control in the hands of the players. The result will probably be dumb and redundant, but the playtests have been fun so far!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I am staring at the DW Shaman, trying to drum up enthusiasm to fix the issues I have with it and failing.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 19, 2014

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Working on a Fate setting/adventure, a DW 'campaign' which is currently a handful of random bits stitched together and needs desperate improvement, and sitting on the far back-burner is a systemless campaign setting written as a sort of series of notes, comments, stories and kvetching from half a dozen representative characters in the setting. Based very loosely on the Spherewalker's Handbook, which is one of the best RPG supplements I've ever read.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Working on a RPG that's meant to be run from a laptop. Trying to make a dungeon crawler that's paired with a procedural map generator to make something with very small amounts of prep time required.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Trollhawke posted:

Anything 5e?

Game loosely based on Thunderbirds; no idea of the engine yet. I think it's another prescribed disaster-creation-system with PCs interacting, but I don't rightly know yet. Trying things for time-sensitivity. Also considering situations re: the rights to publish something that's been in development limbo for a while as a full FAE hack.

All of that in my copious free time.™

EDIT: And a system for the former just came to me, based in part on the rapid-fire system used in Remnants/Warbirds. Ah crap. I don't have time to write an attack game.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 19, 2014

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I've been tinkering with an idea for a Mobile Suit/General Mecha semi-tactical combat game during downtime at work. Check it out. Ideas are still pretty rough but I'm just laying down whatever comes to mind right now, like the primary conflict resolution system and the flow of battle.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Wow, we're burning through Chat threads like Ettin's games burn through Fate points. :v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Well, I've been working on Godwalkers, my PBtA game about playing adventurers who have attained near-godlike levels of power who are now trying to shape and change their world to suit their whims.

In addition, lots of my creative thought are going to two other games. The first is a non-violent fantasy game where adventurers are hired out by the Diplomats' Guild, and therefore cannot kill anyone or anything without very good reason. So players are encouraged to think of alternate solutions.

The other game is using the GUMSHOE system and is half Josie & the Pussycats in Outer Space and half Sailor Moon, where you solve mysteries and fight evil with the power of LOVE and MUSIC.

It's hard to focus on one when I keep getting ideas for the others. v:shobon:v

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Working on software adaptation of TG. Lot of fun to come up with rigorous rules code/systems that 1. the computer can understand, and 2. actually map to the original game's rules and intent.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
I am working on a 4e campaign featuring PCs based off a giant city-ship. Sort of like an ark but marginally less animal poop. It's more or less an excuse to throw all sorts of amazing and wild adventure setpieces at people.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not quite TG related, but I like the new default newbie avatar. Makes me glad I never had one (guess I checked the right box or whatever). Bet that'll see an influx of :10bux:.

Also, I'm working on nothing since my online group is on indefinite hiatus due to scheduling issues and is, mosy likely, doomed. We just haven't had the courage to put it to pasture. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 19, 2014

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Restarted work on Enemy Action, my PBtA espionage hack. It's not quite a complete rewrite, but a lot of things had to go and I'm not piggybacking on core ApocWorld as much, anymore. I will probably be able to show some of it off in to the not too distant future, hopefully do some playtests.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Wow, we're burning through Chat threads like Ettin's games burn through Fate points. :v:

I have a feeling this one will last a whi

TG August Chat Thread: Just wait to post until the next thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

All the world's armies are actually skeleton armies

They just have weird muscles and skin and stuff too??

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Trollhawke posted:

Anything 5e?

Trying to finish my second and third books (not really TG-related unless you count the fact they both have kickass settings), trying to start my fourth (I'm a big believer in multitasking), and thinking up a decent concept for a PbP campaign using my new Fate hack.

Not touching the festering shitheap that is 5e again after the whole "consultant" reveal. Not spending any money on it, not going to play it, not supporting WotC in any way from here on out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So this is, what, the third chat thread this month? That's about one a week!

Trollhawke posted:

Slowly getting back into working on my Deal-A-Setting cards (un-purpling my prose) and chipping away at my DW "Expedition to the Barrier Peaks/Jack Kirby's New Gods" adventure.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Trollhawke posted:

Anything 5e?

I guess I threw together a program that calculates the probability of Roll N dice, Keep N - 1 best or worst, but it isn't templatized so it only works for N = 3 right now.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Error 404 posted:

That's a pretty week joke.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zurui posted:

That's a pretty week joke.

Nah it's more (insert joke about we have lots of chat threads because we're terrible).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, I recently found out that I have my own entry on RPGGeek. :psyduck:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I've been working on a D&D-4e-as-mecha game I'm going to be running soon. Just need to wrap up my setting document so I can post a recruit thread.

Entirely unrelated, this bird is awesome:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Evil Mastermind posted:

So this is, what, the third chat thread this month? That's about one a week!
Yet we've only just caught up to July.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I am now also considering a game conceptually taken from The Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Buncha small-time supervillains teaming up and hijinks ensuing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Esser-Z posted:

I've been working on a D&D-4e-as-mecha game I'm going to be running soon. Just need to wrap up my setting document so I can post a recruit thread.

Entirely unrelated, this bird is awesome:

SO PUMPED

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, I recently found out that I have my own entry on RPGGeek. :psyduck:

I'm sure I linked you to that on G+ ages ago. RBH and I also have one, although he has fans who keep his updated and I had to manually add the Assassin to their database so it would be added to my page. :argh:

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013

Esser-Z posted:

I am now also considering a game conceptually taken from The Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Buncha small-time supervillains teaming up and hijinks ensuing.

That sounds like it could be seriously fun, I've been loving that comic and its general vibe.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Esser-Z posted:

Tried this once, it went fine via just reskinning, but I wish I wrote a more detailed setting on it. And I also wish I didn't get super busy/stressed and abandon the game after two combats :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO 4E

I DON'T CARE

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm sure I linked you to that on G+ ages ago. RBH and I also have one, although he has fans who keep his updated and I had to manually add the Assassin to their database so it would be added to my page. :argh:

That may be the case; my long-term memory is pretty much rear end for anything that isn't a TV show or random post I made, it's entirely possible I've found that page multiple times and not remembered.

Plus I don't spend much time there because there's barely any discussion and you have to grind for funbucks.

Illvillainy
Jan 4, 2004

Pants then spaceship. In that order.
Mulling over a (13th Age/Archmage and maybe DW mechanics) book about Kobolds. Everyone seems to think that the "Tucker" trapster ninja is literally the only flavour of kobold and it seems like such a waste. They're dragon dogs. So yeah, just detailing a bunch of ideas like demonspawn that tempt clergy to sin, dragon apotheosis prosperity gospel, fed-up proletariat ready to pop off at the dragon establishment and the dragonborn bourgies, body hair-positive werewolf packs, watchmaking ambassadors to clockwork planes, etc. Also, reasons why they hate gnomes and goblins (if they do) and why they actually kinda like dwarves if they think about it.

Kinda what to flex my non-fiction muscles at the same time and write a bit about mythical kobolds and cobalt, and have interviews with folks about the design history of kobolds and about how monster races are evolving into playable, non-demonised character options.

I don't know though. Format'd be a bit unconventional for a RPG book, but that's kind of the appeal for me.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Trollhawke posted:

I've been working on Dragon World, my PbtA game for adventures in the style of 90s comedy fantasy anime like Slayers and Dragon Half. I've been working on adding new setting info and such, but I'm thinking about ways to improve the classes as well.

Ages ago I came up with an idea for a game called Slime Story, where you play present-day high schoolers who hunt monsters like something out of an MMO as a hobby. It has this weird juxtaposition of the mundane and fantastic, and I've been wanting to make a game for it since like 2006. I recently got inspired to take a stab at doing it in the form of a PbtA game. One neat thing is that it makes a distinction between mobs and raids, so you have fights that come down to a few die rolls, and fights that you play out fully. Still need to work out the high school drama aspect of it though.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Ewen Cluney posted:

I've been working on Dragon World, my PbtA game for adventures in the style of 90s comedy fantasy anime like Slayers and Dragon Half. I've been working on adding new setting info and such, but I'm thinking about ways to improve the classes as well.

Ages ago I came up with an idea for a game called Slime Story, where you play present-day high schoolers who hunt monsters like something out of an MMO as a hobby. It has this weird juxtaposition of the mundane and fantastic, and I've been wanting to make a game for it since like 2006. I recently got inspired to take a stab at doing it in the form of a PbtA game. One neat thing is that it makes a distinction between mobs and raids, so you have fights that come down to a few die rolls, and fights that you play out fully. Still need to work out the high school drama aspect of it though.

It's kind of crazy that you mention that. I was just thinking of Slime Story a few days ago, and sorting out thoughts on a way to do a campaign inspired by what I remembered of that old beta document I saw years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Trollhawke posted:

Anything 5e?

I've been trying to work on my poorly thought out PBtA/Oracle Dice mashup or only using a single of those two magical girl RPG because my weekly game needs a better system.

I'm also considering making 5e version of various MMO classes for kicks, but that's down the road.

• Locked thread