Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

I'm playing mad science tonight. Wish me luck.

(Well I'm playing one mad scientist and one gadget, but still...)

Elander Boldman and auto cattle feeder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Elander Boldman and auto cattle feeder?

Nope.

Much jankier.

e: But with more synergy.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 2, 2014

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

James Getty and Forcefield?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jonas Albrecht posted:

James Getty and Forcefield?

Closer, but wrong scientist. Need more synergy. And more jank.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Closer, but wrong scientist. Need more synergy. And more jank.

Haha, are you making a Forcefield + Dr. Dawn Edwards combo deck?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Haha, are you making a Forcefield + Dr. Dawn Edwards combo deck?

Now we're cooking with gas!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Now we're cooking with gas!

This is going to be funny when you pull it off.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I had a really fun game against a LawDog deck. I wish I had taken notes, because the game came down to maneuvering and I am wracking my brain trying to remember how I managed to put my opponent in a position that allowed me to force him into some terrible gun fights. Slaughtering Dave Montreal with Pinned Down was also a highlight.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is going to be funny when you pull it off.

Didn't work.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Didn't work.

What went wrong?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What went wrong?

Everything. I was playing it out of a Morgan economy deck on the principle that attrition would be effective with an economy behind it. And it almost won me one game if I hadn't been a single ghost rock short. Most of the time though, it was just too expensive in terms of tempo and money to both play and use the force field (having to boot to invent a gadget is brutal). Better to just play dudes-n-deeds I think.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Something that is becoming apparent in our games, Steven Wiles is really, really good. Unless there is a conflict with dudes sharing his number or him just not working for your draw hands I think he will be at least a 3x in most if not all decks. The ability to have a 3 Stud out of nowhere is strong, he is also couple "free" casualties and is on par with Rumors for randomly winning the game.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
He is definitely one of those cards that look useless to the newbies, but are surprisingly good.

Just like the Drifter from the original game.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah I think he even has the same stats as The Drifter did.

I'm not sure about a 3 of, but he is really good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Yeah I think he even has the same stats as The Drifter did.

The Drifter was 3 Stud 3 Influence for 1 cost and 7 upkeep. I used to run him in my Sweetrock Undead Miners deck, which could often drop him on turn 1 and keep him out for the entire game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCY89H0MjgE

1:01 for the spoiler.

Wylie Jenks
Law Dog
Value: 8
Bullets: 2
Influence: 2
Cost: 8 Upkeep 1

Deputy
Wylie has +1 bullet for each wanted dude in the opposing posse.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Important to note, he is a stud.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Question: Does the 'Abomination' keyword hold any new abilities or benefits, or is it just a big flashing target like it used to be in the original CCG?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Question: Does the 'Abomination' keyword hold any new abilities or benefits, or is it just a big flashing target like it used to be in the original CCG?

Nothing inherent, no.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.strangeassembly.com/2014/preview-faithful-hound-new-town-new-rules

Should be able to steal Legendary Holsters no problem, and Shotguns if you build for it.

Also, a deckbuilder!

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/10/06/announcing-doomtowndb-online-deckbuilder-site/

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 6, 2014

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
The deck builder is a little clunky but its a good start. Also I'm really happy that they are giving shout outs to the community sites and OCTGN, another example of AEG doing it right.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Slifter posted:

The deck builder is a little clunky but its a good start. Also I'm really happy that they are giving shout outs to the community sites and OCTGN, another example of AEG doing it right.

My biggest complaint is that you can't mark Starting Dudes, making the draw simulator iffy.

Also, found this stellar art for a future unknown card.

Holy crap this game's art.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

New card preview.

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2014/10/08/ntnr-preview-rd-ranch/

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

New Spoiler: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1250719/kyle-wagner-new-spoiler-gomorra-gazette

Seems like a good stay-at-home Mad Scientist.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Yeah, also a good 2 which will help with Legendary Holster decks.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I had a chance to try this out at a LFGS before heading to work today and, truth be told, I didn't like it. I got in two games with the Law Dogs vs Sloans Gang using the starter decks and "recommended" starting characters for both factions. Both games I lost in the second turn. Part of the problem I had was that the Law Dogs had no real economy to speak of at the start (3 whole ghost rock and only 2 more a turn? Sign me up) combined with no money-making deeds the first game and one of my two money-making deeds costing 5 or 6 ghost rock to play. The other part was the Sloan player got a first-turn shotgun in the first game and proceeded to wipe me out turn two, and in the second game between having control points on 3 characters, control of two locations and picking off the one person I played with kidnapping and killing two more of my characters when I tried to kill the one person to control his property. Overall it left a sour taste in my mouth and I'm going to pass on the game. I'll play it when other people want to and use someone's pre-made deck, but it's not a must-buy for me, nor something I'll ask to play. I know after the fact that it's an area control game, and that you should avoid fights whenever possible, but it's hard to when one deck has a "tap: kill a character in this shootout" and several "pick a character. That character dies" cards.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Just to be clear the Shotgun compares your dude's bullets (generally 1-3 base) against their value (Ace to King). It's good for blowing up small dudes but it's generally possible to play around. The closest a card comes to just killing a dude is Legendary Holster which pretty much requires building your deck around.

Not going to disagree that Sloan early aggression is very strong, at last right now I think it is the most powerful archetype. Kidnapping aside generally you are going to need to start guys with good influence and keep them at home while you set up deeds, if you can force Sloan to spread out and leave the town square they lose a lot of power. Also I don't know what the normal starting lineup is but if you do play again start with Wendy, her printed shootout action is really strong and goes along way to giving you an edge in an early shoot out should one happen.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Slifter posted:

Just to be clear the Shotgun compares your dude's bullets (generally 1-3 base) against their value (Ace to King). It's good for blowing up small dudes but it's generally possible to play around. The closest a card comes to just killing a dude is Legendary Holster which pretty much requires building your deck around.

Not going to disagree that Sloan early aggression is very strong, at last right now I think it is the most powerful archetype. Kidnapping aside generally you are going to need to start guys with good influence and keep them at home while you set up deeds, if you can force Sloan to spread out and leave the town square they lose a lot of power. Also I don't know what the normal starting lineup is but if you do play again start with Wendy, her printed shootout action is really strong and goes along way to giving you an edge in an early shoot out should one happen.

Wait, doesn't kidnap work on people in the Home location? Because he played it on the person I just played and the person demoing didn't say a word. Ditto the shotgun (though that may have been on a 4- or less character anyways. The law dog with 1 stud bullet and increases the value of your hand if your opponent cheats). The other thing that bugged me was that the Law Dog home ability isn't that good against the Sloans when they want to be wanted, though I'm assuming that's more of a multiplayer mechanic.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randalor posted:

Wait, doesn't kidnap work on people in the Home location? Because he played it on the person I just played and the person demoing didn't say a word. Ditto the shotgun (though that may have been on a 4- or less character anyways. The law dog with 1 stud bullet and increases the value of your hand if your opponent cheats). The other thing that bugged me was that the Law Dog home ability isn't that good against the Sloans when they want to be wanted, though I'm assuming that's more of a multiplayer mechanic.

Jobs can still target dudes at home. Shotgun too.

I agree that LawDogs need more cards that let them screw with Wanted characters right now.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Randalor posted:

Yeah, Tommy is squishy so a shotgun can easily end him. Kidnapping can target people at home which is one of the reasons it's so powerful, however if you keep your guys at home early not only does it protect them from being called out normally against a Kidnapping or Ambush it allows you to defend with everyone. Even if they have a little bit of an edge in a fight you have the advantage of being able to put the target in the defending posse and discard or ace him as a causality if you do happen to lose.

The general consensus in our play group is Sloan and Morgan are currently the best, Forth Ring is cool and ok, and Law Dogs are pretty weak. Right now making people wanted just doesn't seem to have enough support to make it worth the effort, I'm sure in future expansions that will be fixed but it sucks for now. The only real advantage Law Dogs have right now is the fact they can start with Wendy, the only dude with an ability that can straight up remove a dude from the shootout.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Some slightly shiny previews from Essen.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1253420/essen-previews

Plasma Drill is going to be fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I got the second last Premium at Essen this afternoon. I am well pleased, even if it is over a quarter of my baggage weight allowance.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

I got the second last Premium at Essen this afternoon. I am well pleased, even if it is over a quarter of my baggage weight allowance.

Nice! Were they selling the upcoming saddlebag there by chance?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Nice! Were they selling the upcoming saddlebag there by chance?

They were, but they sold out before I could get one.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jedit posted:

They were, but they sold out before I could get one.

drat. I guess the contents should be out on the web by now, at least.

Sure enough:

http://www.larryswank.com/full-doomtown-new-town-new-rules-spoilers/

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 29, 2014

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do Outfits count as Deeds for purposes of blocking production or action cards like Extortion? I'm imagining not but want to make certain.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PJOmega posted:

Do Outfits count as Deeds for purposes of blocking production or action cards like Extortion? I'm imagining not but want to make certain.

No, and under the old rules I don't even remember if your outfit even counted as a card, not sure about now.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

No, and under the old rules I don't even remember if your outfit even counted as a card, not sure about now.

So aside from being able to call people out there's no real advantage to moving into your opponent's home?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone have resources for making pairs-o-decks out of two cores?

The beginner decks are nice but nothing amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
So, went to Orycon (mostly to help my buddy sell some stuff in the dealer's room), got a first hand look at Reloaded and it reminded me how much I loved the game in theory, but that the collectible format drove me up the wall while the Box + Saddlebags most likely won't.

However, much like the original, I didn't get much past the usual "make fun decks, play with a few friends, still be mildly confused about all but the most basic synergies". I played the beginner Law Dogs deck, and while I made at least one big mistake (didn't wait to be the Winner to start the big showdown, given that my opponent had a shotgun but I had a way of dropping his bullets), I didn't feel like I had much of an idea other than the basics.

• Locked thread