Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but I have a question.

I have a box full of euro coins, about 100 dollars worth, as well as some other small denominations in other currencies such as Tanzania and Kenyan schillings. I've called some places local to me (I live in Indianapolis) and they all say that they won't exchange coins for dollars.

Is there some place where I can exchange these coins? Are there banks that will handle the exchange? I'm sure the fees will be ridiculous, but these coins aren't doing anything at the moment, and I could use the money right now.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Risket posted:

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this, but I have a question.

I have a box full of euro coins, about 100 dollars worth, as well as some other small denominations in other currencies such as Tanzania and Kenyan schillings. I've called some places local to me (I live in Indianapolis) and they all say that they won't exchange coins for dollars.

Is there some place where I can exchange these coins? Are there banks that will handle the exchange? I'm sure the fees will be ridiculous, but these coins aren't doing anything at the moment, and I could use the money right now.

Thanks

I imagine the big banks would do it provided you contact the local branch in advance and make sure. And yes, the fees and exchange rate are going to be awful.

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

Actually from my experience most banks don't. There are a number of online companies that let you mail in coins, but I have not tried any myself.
Simple Google search for forex coins for us dollar will give u a few hits.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
In Europe, airport and train station exchanges take coins, at pretty extortionate margins though. You could try selling your money to somebody else who's going to the EU at a 90% rate, that'd probably be more than you'd get at an exchange.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
Just save them for a friend who goes to Europe. Give/sell the money to them.

• Locked thread