Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
Just months ago apples stock price was in the $500 range. Now it's only worth $100. That's an 80% drop ! It also happened around when surface 3 was released, possible coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
whats a surface

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

whats a surface

a thing you put your iphone on lol

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
didn't apple deliberately devalue their stock recently?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah they murdered steve jobs you heard it here first

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah they murdered steve jobs you heard it here first

Ironically, he was allergic to apples

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Steve has to turn this dying company around

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i bought some apple stock at $13 and sold it when it reached $50

boy is my face red

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Steve has to turn this dying company around

i dont know if you know this but the company isnt the one thats dead

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

boy is my face red

don't worry you'll have the chance to buy it at $13 again soon

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/TEDxGE2014_Stallman05_HQ.ogg

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
more like crapple

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:xd:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

dear lord, my apple is prolapsing

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Ruby got Railed posted:

dear lord, my apple is prolapsing
      /

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

boy is my face red

i convinced my dad to it when it was $40 when the ipod came out now i can pay off my student loans with it if i want to

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol at all the worthless sell-side analysts raising their price targets and getting more bullish long after the stock has recovered. they were all lowering price targets while the stock fell too lmao

here's a pro-tip for amateur investors, no one on the buy-side worth their salt puts any stock into sell-side research at all (other than to get an idea of what other people are thinking)

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cremnob posted:

lol at all the worthless sell-side analysts raising their price targets and getting more bullish long after the stock has recovered. they were all lowering price targets while the stock fell too lmao

here's a pro-tip for amateur investors, no one on the buy-side worth their salt puts any stock into sell-side research at all (other than to get an idea of what other people are thinking)

i don't know what this means but now i invest in index funds because investing in individual stocks is for literal idiots

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Stfu cremnob the trick for stock market is to buy low and sell high

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i don't know what this means but now i invest in index funds

this is good advice for most retail investors who don't have the time/knowledge/discipline to invest their own money

because investing in individual stocks is for literal idiots

but this isn't true at all

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cremnob posted:

correct

retail investing in your favorite tech company is for idiots

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

correct

retail investing in your favorite tech company is for idiots

unless that company is apple, in which case u have made a good choice

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

have faith in the market. what could possibly go wrong?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

cremnob posted:

it is my understanding that professional stock pockets are unable to beat random chance over the long term

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
god damnit just when i got invested in this ecosystem

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

when people make those arguments they take the mutual fund industry or hedge fund industry as a whole and look at returns they produce and then go "see they don't even outperform x index". this is a dumb argument because the pension fund or sovereign wealth fund isn't investing in the hedge fund industry in aggregate but are actually choosing managers. the good ones will select and invest with the good managers and show skill in doing so.

producing alpha is hard, so it makes sense that most hedge funds or mutual funds don't outperform. the top quartile of managers clean up while the rest underperform (or lose money). the hedge fund industry has ballooned (as well as the capital they manage) over the past few decades, most are going to be garbage (and the more capital chasing a strategy will lower performance as well). just saying you invest in a hedge fund isn't guarantee of outperformance

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cremnob posted:

when people make those arguments they take the mutual fund industry or hedge fund industry as a whole and look at returns they produce and then go "see they don't even outperform x index". this is a dumb argument because the pension fund or sovereign wealth fund isn't investing in the hedge fund industry in aggregate but are actually choosing managers. the good ones will select and invest with the good managers and show skill in doing so.

producing alpha is hard, so it makes sense that most hedge funds or mutual funds don't outperform. the top quartile of managers clean up while the rest underperform (or lose money). the hedge fund industry has ballooned (as well as the capital they manage) over the past few decades, most are going to be garbage (and the more capital chasing a strategy will lower performance as well). just saying you invest in a hedge fund isn't guarantee of outperformance

and how do you know that good managers aren't just lucky managers?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I wish I knew more about medium term stock investing, but as far as I can tell it's basically like everything else in a capitalist society: more money = better than.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

make this the subtitle of yospos forever plz

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

sear it into the fabric of eternity

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

theadder posted:

sear it into the fabric of eternity

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hobbesmaster posted:

they are

Statistically there has never been a fund worth investing in that you could have predicted would have been with it

better to be lucky than good if you're investing (good is impossible)

poty
Jun 21, 2008

i was waiting for the stock price to drop a bit lower before buying when it was about 80 now i regret ofc. i thought people would keep underestimating the only company in tech who know what theyre doing for longer but alas

that said there should be a pretty loving sweet drop when the iwatch comes out and wall street doesnt get it

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

my sources tell me its a garter poty

poty
Jun 21, 2008

also being a stockholder of a company thats going to put out a 5.5" phone doesnt feel moral

its like investing in blood diamonds. sure its profitable but its just.....wrong

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

because they have solid track records over time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I sold some AAPL, feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

posting this here instead of the gently caress google thread

seth klarman who is one of my favorite investors ever wrote this response to efficient market proponents and owns them real hard

http://blogs.law.uiowa.edu/jcl/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/KLARMAN-FINAL.pdf

• Locked thread