Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Craftics posted:

Not enough love here for Cards & Castles. It's a combination of Hearthstone (kind of), Card Hunter, and Hero Academy. Try it out next time Hearthstone makes you want to throw your iPad into the ocean.

Cards & Castles on iOS
Cards & Castles Forums

RIP in peace, Hero Academy, RIP in peace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011
I'll repost this because the game is still amazing:

quote:

New Star Soccer is the best game ever released on a mobile platform. There's a small paywall to unlock the full game ($2-5'ish? It's been too long) as well as some optional good value IAPs if you want to speed up progress (~$5 per 150 games for boots, trainer, agent, all well worth it but not needed at all).

It's a top down screen swipe soccer game with incredible depth. You play a pro from the trench leagues up to the world stage. The career mode is better than anything EA has managed to cobble together for any of their big bucks sports titles, the gameplay gets more depth as you progress, is fun as poo poo, varied and hella addictive, and the game has lots of fun soccer cliches in there which will make you chuckle if you are a fan.

Seriously, get it. I have probably 20-30 hours (!) in it over the last year, and I keep coming back.

After some discussion in the other thread about whether IAPs were mandatory, I did a non-IAP run for a couple of seasons. Basically, the game is completely doable without buying anything, but it is significantly harder and slightly more tedious without two important IAPs:
- Remove ads, it's like $1 or so for lifetime removal of ads. Do it.
- Trainer: It's like $2 for 150 games (which is ~4-5 hours of playtime?). Of the three big time limited IAPs (agent, trainer, boots) this is by far the most powerful and the most important to enjoy the game without micromanaging your energy too much.

Never IAP anything except full game unlock, no ads, trainer, agent and boots.

Elerion fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 20, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm super pumped for Motorsport Manager tonight!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Craftics posted:

It does IAP better than most iOS games I've played. Buy packs of cards. That's it. One purchase of any booster pack disables ads forever. Not sure why it isn't 100x more popular to be honest. It's super fun and addictive.

Aggh it looks cool but I've gotta say, I hate the different "tiers" of packs (guaranteed legendary! etc) -- just make a booster pack a booster pack, like Magic or Hearthstone or any other CCG that's ever been successful.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

What was the name of the mostly black and white 3d Viking game? It was a part cyoa part battle arena type thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

aw yiss posted:

What was the name of the mostly black and white 3d Viking game? It was a part cyoa part battle arena type thing.

Sword and Glory.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Feenix posted:

I'm super pumped for Motorsport Manager tonight!

Any idea how much this is gonna cost? Last I checked, the developer wasn't sure yet but said that it would be "premium-priced" with no IAP. I've been playing Grand Prix Story in anticipation for this.

edit: PocketTactics article says that it's gonna be $5. Not bad.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 20, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there any way to earn cards without paying, like Hearthstone?

Yes you can buy a 5 card pack, with at least one rare, for 300 points. You get about 50ish points a match except for your first win which gives 220ish. I'm pretty sure you can move your clock around to get points really quickly. Also each time you beat a scenario match for the first time you get some cards for free. They are preset drops and are pretty useful.

Oddly enough the point card packs are strictly better than the IAP card packs.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

xzzy posted:

Sword and Glory.

That was it, thanks!

I just picked up The Firm and it's a pretty great bathroom break game. Got some nice little progression, the pixel art and their sound design mesh really well, and there's no IAP. Overall a nice package for a buck. Gotta enjoy high score games though.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I was a little late on the 80 days bandwagon but I'm doing pretty terribly with mistiming banks and travel days and unsuccessful mutinies.

The waiting for money is the worst part of the journey, I'm guessing there's a way to travel that doesn't involve it somehow.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I picked up Dual Destinies (never got around to buying the DS version) and I'm having a problem with it crashing when trying to start episode 2. Anyone else had it do that?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

messagemode1 posted:

I was a little late on the 80 days bandwagon but I'm doing pretty terribly with mistiming banks and travel days and unsuccessful mutinies.

The waiting for money is the worst part of the journey, I'm guessing there's a way to travel that doesn't involve it somehow.

Yes. Plan portions of your trips around items you know have a very specific high value in another city. Not just "they are valuable", but a specific number like £4800 in Honolulu. Even if it seems you are going out of your way, generally your trip will still be faster. I have ended the game with £25k profit and no bank stops. That particular game was under 60 days.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I picked up Dual Destinies (never got around to buying the DS version) and I'm having a problem with it crashing when trying to start episode 2. Anyone else had it do that?

I didn't have this problem on 3rd gen iPad running a slightly out of date version of iOS 7.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It also helps to have a real map in front of you so when they say something sells for $5400 in Minsk, you know which direction to head.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

ZerodotJander posted:

I didn't have this problem on 3rd gen iPad running a slightly out of date version of iOS 7.

Ah, they updated the description saying it means the game data didn't download correctly after you bought it and to hit the restore purchased content button.

Craftics
Jan 31, 2006

fuckin yeah

Shwqa posted:

Yes you can buy a 5 card pack, with at least one rare, for 300 points. You get about 50ish points a match except for your first win which gives 220ish. I'm pretty sure you can move your clock around to get points really quickly. Also each time you beat a scenario match for the first time you get some cards for free. They are preset drops and are pretty useful.

Also, they are going to be adding a new class soon, Ninjas! If I remember correctly, they are going to be adding a few new scenarios that will unlock some of their basic cards. It's gonna be awesome :v:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Ah, they updated the description saying it means the game data didn't download correctly after you bought it and to hit the restore purchased content button.

I am pretty certain the purchase just unlocked the content rather than downloading the chapters telltale style.
I checked the file size before and after and there was no delay in starting the bought content so I don't know what the hell.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

ZerodotJander posted:

I'm playing through it on my 5c and haven't had one crash.
Also, it is my new favorite iOS game. I was worried that making the characters 3D might take something away from the charm of the originals but they've done a lot with the animation that I actually prefer the look over the original's now.
I have Dragon Quest 8, Monster Hunter, and now Phoneix Wright on my iphone. I haven't touched my 3DS in 6 months.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Is there an official NA release date for this yet? I'm looking forward to checking it out.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
No Small Semis, no sale.

Bring us Miniscule Minibuses!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sad lions posted:

I am pretty certain the purchase just unlocked the content rather than downloading the chapters telltale style.
I checked the file size before and after and there was no delay in starting the bought content so I don't know what the hell.

Couldn't it be downloading an encryption key or something? I don't know how Capcom works.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sieg posted:

Is there an official NA release date for this yet? I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Should be the end of the month. Also, @Nimblebit has been giving away codes on Twitter.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Anyone play Echo Prime?
It's only a buck now, but all the reviews bashed it at launch for having semi-freemium IAP balancing in a premium-priced game (it was $5 then).
Is it that bad?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone play Echo Prime?
It's only a buck now, but all the reviews bashed it at launch for having semi-freemium IAP balancing in a premium-priced game (it was $5 then).
Is it that bad?

It's okay. I've played it for awhile and it's a decent time killer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Godus goes to poo poo pretty quickly when you hit the "register to continue playing" thing and all the timers go from 30 seconds to 10+ minutes.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Do any of you guys play those obvious cash-hungry freemium games that are based on energy, stamina and strong in-game currency items?

I've found myself addicted to "Underworld Empire"... And yes I put money in :(

e: I don't just mean freemium games that are good but the nasty ones you know are just there to make $$

Kempy fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 20, 2014

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Kempy posted:

e: I don't just mean freemium games that are good but the nasty ones you know are just there to make $$
Press and hold until the icon wiggles, hit the x in the corner. Just do it now without thinking about it, and you can thank me for the saved money & time later.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Looking for recommendations for games.

I like single-player puzzle games, mostly along the lines of Sudoku or Crosswords. I've loved Dungeon Raid, Threes, Paint it Back, and recently Bonza. Don't like Boggle style word searching.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad Air.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I like single-player puzzle games, mostly along the lines of Sudoku or Crosswords. I've loved Dungeon Raid, Threes, Paint it Back, and recently Bonza. Don't like Boggle style word searching.

Darkin is basically a vampire-themed Dungeon Raid with some different modes and stuff. It's pretty good. I also like Faif though it can be a little too luck-based sometimes.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Kempy posted:

Do any of you guys play those obvious cash-hungry freemium games that are based on energy, stamina and strong in-game currency items?

I am hopelessly addicted to these but I rarely spend any money on them. I like the aspect of seeing numbers/kingdoms/whatever get bigger over time. I just wish they were made with a bit more polish because 95% of them are pretty much garbage.

The Nimblebit games, Happy Street, and Clash of Clans are the only ones I can think of right now that have any sort of polish.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Sogol posted:

Yes. Plan portions of your trips around items you know have a very specific high value in another city. Not just "they are valuable", but a specific number like £4800 in Honolulu. Even if it seems you are going out of your way, generally your trip will still be faster. I have ended the game with £25k profit and no bank stops. That particular game was under 60 days.

I was making good time and was about to sell some high value items and....

suddenly I was an opium addict and abducted to Yokohama. :pwn:

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013

Shwqa posted:

So some of this info is slightly off. You have a daily quest that gives 120 for your first win of the day and 2 random cards. 40 for a win and 20 for a loss. So about 6 games a day (120 + 6 * 30 = 300) will net you 7 (2 from daily and 5 from booster) cards and one of them a rare at minimum. Or 1 win 2 days straight (120 *2 + 40 * 2 = 320) gets you 9 cards (2*2 from daily and 5 from booster).

Overall the game is quite enjoyable without money and I highly suggest anyone interested try it out.

I personally wouldn't compare this to hearthstone at all though. It's a tactical ccg so think ccg meets a more in depth hero academy.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Chinaman7000 posted:

If you like picross, pick up Pixelo. It comes with a ton of puzzles (I just got an achievement for 500, and I still have a few to go) in it, and there are daily puzzles that eventually become available. $1.99, and it looks like there is a lite version available to demo.

You can mostly ignore all the xp and gold if you just want puzzles. Xp unlocks levels that unlock badges to get more xp and gold. You can buy badges and equip them to give you minor bonuses, but they don't really affect the puzzles at all, just extra fluff layered on top. If you really just want puzzles, there is an option to unlock all puzzle difficulties from the start, but it reduces the amount of gold and xp you gain.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dear new thread: gently caress mission 20 in Metal Slug Defense.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Motorsport Manager is now available in the UK.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I had a ton of fun with Ghost Trick. I think you can download the game as a demo for free and play the first chapter, that was enough for me to buy the rest.

I've also heard good things about Lords of Waterdeep being a good alternative to the board game (with merciless AI) but I haven't been able to try that myself yet.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Lords of Waterdeep and it's expansions are fantastic. The iOS board game thread loves it. Worth the cash.

Please put Sword and Glory in the op. After a goon stumbled upon the game and turned the thread onto it, the developers finąlly started getting some well deserved press. One of the updates added a "Some Thing Awful" quest in response.

Pocket Tactics reported the devs are working on a big update so lets be ready when it drops.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

R-Type II is on sale for $0.99.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Picked up Dual Destinies, and the port's exactly as good as people have been saying. I have a question for those who have played the game: is there any particular point that it is best to play the DLC trial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

dmboogie posted:

Picked up Dual Destinies, and the port's exactly as good as people have been saying. I have a question for those who have played the game: is there any particular point that it is best to play the DLC trial?

It's supposed to predate the rest of them (I think) and be isolated from the main story so I think it's completely whenever you feel like.

I really hope they at least also release Apollo Justice as well because I really dug the CSI crap in that one (simple as it was).
Edgeworth was a bit 'eh' and anticlimactic to me so I don't miss that so much (though I'd still jump at an opportunity to play the Japanese-only sequel if it came up).

Edit 2: I assumed a lot from the case description and sounds like I'm completely wrong.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 21, 2014