Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

jubelio posted:

I cant be arsed to comb through the old thread, does anyone here have any advice on getting the nes30 controller to work on my ipad games? I can get it to sync to the device and it will type some letters but thats about it. As soon as I fire up any games that "support controllers" I have no control with it, and usually nothing in the options other than a message to tell me to make sure the controller is connected properly.

Word of warning, this thing only supports icade unless you have jailbroken. sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

jubelio posted:

I cant be arsed to comb through the old thread, does anyone here have any advice on getting the nes30 controller to work on my ipad games? I can get it to sync to the device and it will type some letters but thats about it. As soon as I fire up any games that "support controllers" I have no control with it, and usually nothing in the options other than a message to tell me to make sure the controller is connected properly.

Sounds like you are connecting in mode 1 which is keyboard, you need to connect in mode 3 for MFI.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

ZerodotJander posted:

Sounds like you are connecting in mode 1 which is keyboard, you need to connect in mode 3 for MFI.

Nah, I tried 1, 2, and 3. its just that it wont work with non-icade games without jailbreaking.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

topiKal posted:

This site has info about all the current and upcoming controllers: http://afterpad.com/mfigamecontrollers

The common consensus right now is that the SteelSeries Stratus is the best one available at the moment. They're all ridiculously overpriced, though. Personally, I chose to jailbreak so I could use my PS3 controller, but if that's not an option then those are your only choices as far as I know.

Can you jail break and use a XBox One controller?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Can you jail break and use a XBox One controller?

It doesn't use Blue Tooth so I'd say no.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Davincie posted:

als you shouldn't support snk since they are assholes

Explain this because it's asking a lot for me to hate a company involved in Baseball Stars and Crysallis.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Explain this because it's asking a lot for me to hate a company involved in Baseball Stars and Crysallis.

Wrong SNK. SNK went supernova about 15 years ago.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The OP should have controllers. Especially the Goon recommended FC30/NES30, an iCade -not MFI- controller.

My review:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525464&userid=101838#post432283358

It might be worth mentioning GBA4iOS too.

The developers update it with new modes sometimes so maybe if enough people request Mfi they'd add it? :shrug:

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 23, 2014

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
To anyone considering getting one of those, when's the last time you actually held an NES controller? Because there's a reason they don't make controllers in that shape anymore, and that's because they're loving awful to hold for any amount of time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Meep posted:

To anyone considering getting one of those, when's the last time you actually held an NES controller? Because there's a reason they don't make controllers in that shape anymore, and that's because they're loving awful to hold for any amount of time.

The people buying those controllers do so because they appreciate the aesthetic. They likely also own mason jars for drinking out of and frequent community gardens on their fixed gear bike.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

VelociBacon posted:

The people buying those controllers do so because they appreciate the aesthetic. They likely also own mason jars for drinking out of and frequent community gardens on their fixed gear bike.

Yes, I'm sure that anyone buying that controller is only doing it to reinforce their Brooklyn handlebar mustache self-image and it has nothing to do with wanting a portable, reasonably priced, non-MFI controller. :rolleyes:

Could you perhaps suggest an alternate $35, non-MFI controller that isn't too "hipster"?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm not seeing any reason to use my young driver. Experienced drivers are literally 2x the stats.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

SquadronROE posted:

I'm not seeing any reason to use my young driver. Experienced drivers are literally 2x the stats.

Yeah I'm just thinking it's a waste of 9 grand a month at the moment.

Also, getting completely spanked in my first second tier season, anyone had any success yet and if so, how?

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Lawen posted:

Yes, I'm sure that anyone buying that controller is only doing it to reinforce their Brooklyn handlebar mustache self-image and it has nothing to do with wanting a portable, reasonably priced, non-MFI controller. :rolleyes:

Could you perhaps suggest an alternate $35, non-MFI controller that isn't too "hipster"?

While I disagree that everyone who buys it is a stupid hipster or whatever silly assumption the other guy was making, the controller is a terrible value. For one thing, it's $45 (on Amazon anyway). And it's uncomfortable, just like the NES pad was.

Also there are iCade controllers on Amazon that work fine for like $13.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

topiKal posted:

While I disagree that everyone who buys it is a stupid hipster or whatever silly assumption the other guy was making, the controller is a terrible value. For one thing, it's $45 (on Amazon anyway). And it's uncomfortable, just like the NES pad was.

Also there are iCade controllers on Amazon that work fine for like $13.

Fair enough. I saw the NES clone for 35ish on eBay but that probably didn't include shipping.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

monkeytennis posted:

Yeah I'm just thinking it's a waste of 9 grand a month at the moment.

Also, getting completely spanked in my first second tier season, anyone had any success yet and if so, how?

I hired the best driving team available, the beat engineers, and have upgraded the HQ a couple of times by my second season in tier two, and making the podium is just barely possible, and not consistently at all. I'm running a monthly deficit that is a little in the black once winnings, sponsor bonuses etc. come in.

I'm thinking of trying an all-out Enron debt leveraging strategy to see if the winnings pay off the next level of car upgrades.

Also, I'm yet to see a payoff for the young drivers. They're cheap themselves, but the facility costs are murderously high. Tier 4 costs $20k extra per month, more than both my experienced drivers combined. Not counting the buildings cost for the earlier tiers.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 23, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sounds like your race strategy is really bad. How often are you pitting?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

VelociBacon posted:

Sounds like your race strategy is really bad. How often are you pitting?

Depends on the race. Short ones, 1-2 times. Longer ones, 3-4.

My drivers keep having parts fall off the car too, so I've had a lot more DNFs and repair pits than at tier one, despite my level four manufacturing and often setting them to conservative when in traffic.

My strategy destroyed tier 1, but it's not holding as well. I can't catch cars unless I push, but their tires wear slower than mine unless I conserve.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Ooh not sure if I'm ruthless enough to bin my drivers or the engineering team just yet! Clearly I'd never make it in the real world of motorsport!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

The Royal Scrub posted:

New Star Soccer is a great couch game but drat can you get stuck in a rut when your boss doesn't like you. I'm on the bench for 3/4 of every game and I still rack up more goals and assists than the rest of my team combined. People would be calling for that coach's head on a spike.

It's also prone to occasional bouts of complete bullshit. Just now, had my team in the finals of Champs against Man United, nil-nil at the half, a very close game; good defender placement and derpy teammates standing on top of them, one of those "here, I'll run 5 microns from where your pass is going and stop dead" teammates, a shot banked off the crossbar, three hearts throughout and drank an NRG at the half to keep going. And what do I see just into the second half? "Pokosy is coming out. He hasn't played well"

First time in this entire app that I've rage-quit and restarted a match. (Cleaned house the second time.)

On the plus side, reports of excessive stat degradation in later years in non-IAP rounds seem overstated. I'm nearing the end of Year 13 - Age 28 in my second playthrough and if anything, things are improving; high contracts are letting me buy chalets and tanks and good boots and NRGs without straining, keeping Vision at 60 isn't too hard, and I had my best year ever in Year 12 (Cup / Europa / IRL PREM champs, Club / League / my first World Player of the Year). I changed teams to a Finnish squad after that to change things up and we squeaked into 1st, won Champs and now it's World Cup qualifier time.

EDIT: If any stat issues do piss me off, it's the lag in between the season and certain tournaments. I get everything set up how I want it at the end of a season and suddenly it's like "Oh by the way 17 weeks just elapsed."

delfin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 23, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That Star Trek Trexels game went free to play finally and I really, really pity anyone that paid money for it because even for free it is simply terrible and barely playable.

Also, to whomever is building next to me right now A Few Billion Square Tiles, I'll just keep to the right and I'll let you keep to the left.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I've been playing The Firm during bathroom breaks and it's a pretty fun casual game. All you do is swipe left/right on stocks based on their type and whether they're going up or down, but as you progress the game gets more and more complicated and there's more to keep track of. Reminds me of Papers, Please, except it's much more repetitive. Probably my only complaint is that if you're poo poo it will take you many, many attempts to rack up enough gold to level up. It's fun, though.

I just downloaded Loot Raiders today which is like an adventurer management sim. You send your guys on quests and they come back with loot to outfit them for more quests. There's no action. It's split pretty evenly between Instant quests and timer quests, so you pretty much always have something to work on. Play Instant while you have time to kill then queue up a couple timed quests once you're done and they'll finish by the next time you play. It's a nice balance between actually being able to play a game when you like and letting it do "work" in the background while you're busy.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

axleblaze posted:

That Star Trek Trexels game went free to play finally and I really, really pity anyone that paid money for it because even for free it is simply terrible and barely playable.

Also, to whomever is building next to me right now A Few Billion Square Tiles, I'll just keep to the right and I'll let you keep to the left.

Speaking of lovely space games on the app store, what ever happened to star command? Did they ever patch in the remaining 70% of the content lol

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I paid money for it and yeah it sucked rear end.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Has there been any mention about that Tony Hawk game at all? I'm fixing for a good endless runner since I wore out Temple Run 2 and that looks kinda fun.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

axleblaze posted:

I pad a buck for it and easily got my money's worth (even if it was kinda bad). One thing that they did really well is the music and sound.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Ugh, in MM tier 2 round three (won round 2 by narrow margin, stating to spec p before going international), my lead driver blew a 20-second lead in one lap with 1/3 hard tires to a guy with half a bar of soft tires, and my second driver, who was in pace for 1st, retired.

Made the podium, but a 1-2 almost instantly turned into a 2-DNF.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Enigma posted:

Ugh, in MM tier 2 round three (won round 2 by narrow margin, stating to spec p before going international), my lead driver blew a 20-second lead in one lap with 1/3 hard tires to a guy with half a bar of soft tires, and my second driver, who was in pace for 1st, retired.

Made the podium, but a 1-2 almost instantly turned into a 2-DNF.

Pretty sure that's because you waited too long to pit. at 1/3 tyres left, there's almost no tread on them so you lose speed.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
I won the first tier in Motorsport Manager on my first season by quite a big margin, but yeah, the jump to second tier is pretty big. First season in European second tier has been rough, a couple of teams are way faster than me.

For the next season I considered moving over to the US or Asian series. I have noticed this season that my car has fared better in faster tracks, in slower and more technical tracks, such as Monaco, I have no chance.

I'm actually quite happy this is happening, because it makes sense. I have invested more in manufacturing and design than aerodynamics, so it is a result I should expect. Maybe I'll need to hit the ovals for a bit while building the team infrastructure up.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To whoever's thinking of picking up the Metal Slug games. I found them to be unplayable on an iPhone with the on-screen controls.

Not nearly responsive enough for an arcade shooter.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Sunblood posted:

I've been playing The Firm during bathroom breaks and it's a pretty fun casual game. All you do is swipe left/right on stocks based on their type and whether they're going up or down, but as you progress the game gets more and more complicated and there's more to keep track of. Reminds me of Papers, Please, except it's much more repetitive. Probably my only complaint is that if you're poo poo it will take you many, many attempts to rack up enough gold to level up. It's fun, though.

My high score is like $100 right now. How do you get better at this? Am I missing something?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Last thread after the release of the amazing 80 days (buy it) we had a short discussion about Choose Your Own Adventure (CYOA) games. So I decided to drop a few bucks and try a few.

Not A Test

I like this game. For two dollars this short post-apocalyptic CYOA has very nice visual and audio presentation and decent replay value.

Not a Test throws you into the role of an unnamed protagonist who has just heard a broadcast about a national emergency. Electronics have become unreliable and toxic red gas has been seen creeping towards population centers. This is the very beginning of a mysterious Armageddon, and indeed Not a Test’s subtitle is a post-apocalyptic prologue. The immediate goal is survival as society panics and begins to crumble.

The game's presentation matches the subject matter note for note. Rendered in primarily a black and white comic style, the little splashes of color highlights player relief upon finding a survival critical item, or emphasizes the creeping silent danger of the remorseless gas as the panels are slowly filled with more and more deadly red as the story progresses.

You begin by selecting three of six skills: Driving, Sharpshooting, Brawling, Tech, Cunning, and Survival. There must be behind the scene skill roles for discovery and success because in my two successful playthroughs (and several deaths) the Survival skill will not always allow you to successfully tame animals or pick locks or obtain extra supplies.

Along the way you can recruit followers who you may sacrifice at certain points to continue along the story, or their presence may aid you by open up alternate paths. There are ‘good’ and ‘evil’ endings depending on how much of a bastard you choose to be.

There are some bugs, but fortunately they are at the end. In my two separate victorious playthroughs, the game dumps you somewhere in act 2 after giving you the ending comic panel and relevant achievement.

The prose is terse for a CYOA, but that only accentuates the urgency for survival. The artwork and sound effects more than make up for the lack of paragraphs.

As I mentioned, the game is short. The challenge comes in exploring all the alternate paths you missed and achieving victory with the different skillsets.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct....73612305,d.cGE

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

crazypeltast52 posted:

My high score is like $100 right now. How do you get better at this? Am I missing something?

The more you get in a row, the better the multiplier you will get. I can get 10k+ runs now. It's that and memorizing which stocks go which way. Buy High green and Low red. Sell Low green and High red.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

To whoever's thinking of picking up the Metal Slug games. I found them to be unplayable on an iPhone with the on-screen controls.

Not nearly responsive enough for an arcade shooter.

Thanks, this was my fear.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I knew my team name would pay off at some point.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

I bought This is Not a Test when it was mentioned at the end of the last thread, and I've been having fun with the alternate paths the skills allow you to take. There's a checkpoint system at set intervals in the story that allow you to retrace your steps a little, however it can often result in endless loops of singular/not enough choices that end in you not doing enough to stop the fart gas from melting your poo poo and other post-apoc induced deaths.

All my playthroughs have ended this way, and I've yet to finish it because I suck and don't learn from my past mistakes. It was worth the buck for a fun CYOA comic book thing.

80 Days steals the CYOA show. If you were ever interested in it and still haven't gotten it, you should definitely pull the trigger. I don't play many iOS games much these days, except for this game. I've put hours into it and have yet to step foot in a long list of cities.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Some MM stuff:

Maybe an optional friday test session would be a nice addition? A few hours to spend on the track working out an optimal setup strategy would be nice since you don't really get enough time to do it in qualifying. Also, wouldn't mind being able to change rules so I could get a retro refueling allowed career going.

Otherwise, I'm loving this game. It's a portable, although not as deep, version of the old F1 manager games which is pretty much what I was hoping it would be.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, quali is awfully tight isn't it? Would be useful to have a pit lane spy too so you could see what the faster teams are doing around their setup.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Really enjoying Pirate Bash : http://appshopper.com/games/pirate-bash

It's a Combination of Angry Birds and Worms. There is IAP, but it seems very unobtrusive.

No timers for the single player campaign. There are lives for PvP battles, but they regen every 15 minutes (and a battle takes ~5 minutes anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Anyone playing the new StarWars Commander game?