Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I just finished playing "A dark room" and enjoyed it quite a bit. To my surprise, it was the part where you go adventuring in a top=down ASCII world, like the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress that I enjoyed the most, which was weird, since I've never been able to get into the ASCII representation stuff.

Now I'm really feeling like more of that. Are there any good games like the Adventure Mode of DF on ios?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bogart posted:

Take this as your sign to delete it while you can.

If you don't the game will delete it's own save soon enough, don't worry. You've been warned. It's buggy as gently caress on iOS. Save yourself the trouble and play it in a web browser or on Steam.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

One of you guys should really just make a Dungeon Boss thread.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Croc Monster posted:

someone wake me up when dungeon chat is over tia

Yeah, the "It's just temporary, it'll pass soon" explanation doesn't hold much water and people are still making GBS threads the thread up with friend codes.

Just make a thread, someone.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I was recently looking for an idle/clicker game on iOS and found Farm Away. Seemed pretty cool and very much like Adventure Capitalist but with more of a graphical theme.

Anyway, after a few days it became really apparent it's kind of a clone of AC but with a really strong push to spend money. You can go hours/days without every really buying significant upgrades like you would be able to do fairly regularly in AC and there's also a bunch of lovely currencies and other unnecessary systems it adds, like many of these "Pay2Win" games.

Thought I'd mention it here to save anyone else the trouble of installing it.

On another note, Soda Dungeon is a cool idle game and you should play it.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

The Pell posted:

I downloaded that Creature Quest game.

There is literally nothing good about it. The gameplay is shallow, and all mechanics revolve around an asinine amount of currencies (and an energy timer).

So pretty much like 80% of mobile games?

Rant incoming.

That poo poo really annoys me. I know this is nothing new, but mobile/tablet/touchscreen has so much potential to try new things and be a great gaming medium (seriously, where the gently caress is my Pokemon clone where I can catch monsters by scanning barcodes? Why isn't this a thing??) and instead we get a billion games that are virtually identical Skinner Boxes. No originality whatsoever apart from the colour of gems and the name of the currencies you can purchase that aren't gems. You honestly can't tell them apart unless you spend a significant amount of time (and probably money)with them. Even the art is uninspired; completely unoriginal and samey among them all. They're all the same loving game. There isn't any evident effort to differentiate themselves from other games, which is both bizarre and offensive to people who actually attempt to create something unique and interesting. Then, worst of all, in EVERY ONE OF THESE GAMES you have about five or six different completely unnecessary currencies and systems to either combine/trade/generate monsters/weapons/maps so they can be sure they'll grab everyone with at least one of their lovely Skinner Boxes. It's the same loving game copy/pasted a thousand times. Every time I try to play one of these games (before I'm 100% sure it's one of 'them') I'm usually having an okay time until they start training me to become reliant on their silly currencies, and giving me vague instructions on how I can use the seven kinds of gems to do eleven different things to my units in about 15 different buildings or menus. It's too much. No game needs to be that complex. I don't mind complexity in a game, but when that game is essentially only a treadmill why the gently caress should I learn all of this poo poo? Why should I care? I get nothing but higher numbers, and although I admit I love that poo poo, there's a thousand different free idle games out there. I consider them methadone as an alternative to the crack of the other lovely games that try to fleece players.

As I said, it's nothing new, but it's so loving frustrating. Some of these games are really slick and feel pretty good, too, which pisses me off even more. There's talent there being squandered, and a potentially good game that has been completely and intentionally gimped and gutted to exploit people and their weaknesses. It's no wonder you read semi-frequent "confessions of a mobile game developer" articles. I'm sure a lot of these people want to do better and make something great, and some feel legitimate guilt for how intentionally addictive their games are designed to be, but the higher-ups aren't interested in good games, I guess.

I'd love more good games to play on mobile because its convenient and different, but all we have is exploitative dreck that seems like it's trying to cash in as much as it can before gambling and other laws catch up to the technology. It's actually offensive how lazy and unoriginal it all is.

Thankfully, I think that bubble will burst with the introduction of laws and regulations over time. It won't stop other bullshit cashgrabs, but it will at least force people to change their formulas up a bit.

Sometimes I think if Nintendo released their Pokemon games on iOS, a lot of these games could be forced right the gently caress out of the market. Maybe that's wishful thinking though. A Skinner Box is a Skinner Box, after all. Still, I think any Pokemon game is infinitely better than any of these other "creature" games I've ever played on mobile. With or without the money element.

Okay, that's my rant. Sorry if you actually read it all.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Crashlands thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761793

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Why do you people play lovely F2P games? Star Trek Timelines was worth 1 day of my time. Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes was worth 2 days. Marvel Future Fight is worth months and counting. Why aren't you playing it? It is the best F2P so far.

You're kidding, right? FF is the same as virtually every other mobile F2P game. Incredibly simple and basic "gameplay" stuck under half a dozen different and unnecessary systems and menus designed to draw out the time it takes to do anything meaningful and each its own separate Skinner box to ensure the maximum amount of people get hooked enough to spend money on one of the many different currencies. It may have more polish than some of the others, but like virtually all the dreck on mobile, it's the same game as everything else with a slightly different coat of paint.

If you enjoy it, then I'm happy for you, but let's not pretend it's in any way above the usual poo poo.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

jerkstore77 posted:

Been playing the soft launch of Fishing Break and it's great. Worth making a fake Australian account to get early.

I deleted it after 20 minutes. It's well made and was pretty fun until I realised they lean too heavily on you to spend money. Yet another game that could have been drat good if they just charged 3-5 bucks and removed all of the bullshit.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

jerkstore77 posted:

I've commented on their beta thread that the game is going to suffer because the beginning of the game is too strict. I almost gave up too because it is slow going at the start but once you get going you'll never need to pay a dime. Once you get to the point where your museum is making decent money, you can advance to better ponds and the bait costs become trivial meaning you can play non-stop if you like since there are no timers.

Even better, you dont need to spend money for premium bait because hooking small fish onto your line and using them as bait for the bigger fish works the same.

The game is actually a great example of freemium done right, but there's a bit of a hump to get over at the start.

Sounds like you might have been right about losing people at the start. Going by what you say, though, I'll give it another shot. Game is the closest thing on iOS I've found to the spirit of Fisherman's Bait 3 and I enjoyed the basics. I'll try to get over the hump. Hopefully the decs will smooth things out in time.

Any advice on upgrades and what I should prioritise, if anything?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

jerkstore77 posted:

Put almost everything into fishing strength. You want to quickly be able to have enough of it to be able to reel in the fish from the first 2-3 worlds. Your museum generates more coins the more unique fish you add to it so you want to get to as many of the new lakes as quickly as possible. The game doesn't tell you this. If you don't put your points into strength early on, you'll be stuck in the early lakes, unable to add new fish to your museum causing you to get stuck.

I got far enough to unlock the first 3 worlds then I focused on getting the rare fish. This is where the trick to use smaller fish as bait works. Get a small fish on your line and just let it dance around on the line until a rare fish appears. Then reel it in enough so that it splashes around on the water surface near the special fish being careful not to fully reel it in of course. This is usually enough to get the special/big fish interested and with luck, it'll bite. This also works with non-special big fish like the great white or swordfish. I have yet to find a fish that needs the premium bait to catch. So far, using smaller fish has worked on everything.

I gave it another four hours today. I've gotten to the point where I can fish for as long as I like without running out of cash, but my profit margins after buying bait are still abysmal, to the point where it took me over 30mins to afford a single upgrade. It's far too much of a treadmill for me to enjoy. I find real fishing to be less tedious. It's also incredibly frustrating having tiny fish repeatedly take your bait, and the fact you lose your bait when you reel in fully is insult to injury.

I feel like a gave it more than a fair go, and I'm going away quite frustrated and wondering why the devs felt the balance is good the way it is. I just wish there was a decent fishing game on iOS.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

io_burn posted:

I promise there is nothing that you're doing today that is more important than watching Rick and Morty if you haven't seen it yet.

This perfectly summarises why I'll never watch Rick and Morty.

Edit: On the Final Fantasy talk, I've been playing FF7 on iOS for the first time in maybe 13 years and as someone who remembers it as one of the best games I've ever played, I'm starting to wish I left it alone. I'm around 12 hours in (just reached Cosmo Canyon). It's just so TEDIOUS. Gaming and expectations have changed so much (as well as the amount of time I have for games) that it's absolutely maddening having to wait for lengthy animations as a character walks across the screen at a glacial pace before proclaiming a good five to ten lines that are completely irrelevant and unnecessary. Also, the writing/translation is absolutely awful. I feel like I'm spending very little time actually controlling anything in the game, and most of it reading pretty lovely dialogue and exposition

I'm thinking of ditching it now, to preserve my good memories of the game, but I kind of want to play around a bit with some high-tier materia combinations. I dunno, though, I really doubt I'm going to make it much further. A few days ago, I would have sworn adamantly that the game would hold up and that it wasn't all "rose-tinted glasses", but having played a good chunk of it now, I believe that to be absolutely the case. It doesn't really hold up.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 16, 2016

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

You must be a hoot at meetings.

jubelio posted:

The guy already outted himself saying his favorite game is ff7, cut a self hating masochist a break.

That one snags a couple of you doofuses every single time.

I'm really sorry that rabid fanboys have turned me off an "adult" cartoon series. You've completely changed my mind! :rolleyes:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

Cool, so what quality "adult" entertainment products do you partake in, besides video games on iOS for phones and tablets? I want to make sure I am not missing out on any possible sources of amusement, education, or other fulfillment vectors.

Well, most recently I've been trolling this Rick and Morty fanboy who seems to be trying to prove that Rick and Morty fanboys don't take their cartoons a little too seriously...

After I'm done with that, I'm going to read the Iliad, go to the opera, then attend a fancy wine tasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I'm just glad I don't have to refresh the app every week now since automated altstore refreshes broke a while back.