Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

rkajdi posted:

I also love the "don't pass corporal punishment records to the next school" line. These monsters knew what they were doing was wrong and legitimate society would want to stop them, so they tried to whitewash it away at every step.

Alternately this means you are preventing the kid from developing a reputation as a problem child

To me the worst thing about that is not the spanking, that's rather commonplace in society still. its how you can see an attempt to be compassionate and understanding of how to discipline a child, and how their mindset leads them to do what to us is a hard right turn. As often is the case, I imagine many of these people are what most of us would call "good" people. probably pretty nice overall, drop everything to help you pull out a stump, always lent you their car, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'd love to get a hold of some completed Corporal Correction Forms (item 335). I bet the grammar and reasoning in them is super solid.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Alternately this means you are preventing the kid from developing a reputation as a problem child

To me the worst thing about that is not the spanking, that's rather commonplace in society still. its how you can see an attempt to be compassionate and understanding of how to discipline a child, and how their mindset leads them to do what to us is a hard right turn. As often is the case, I imagine many of these people are what most of us would call "good" people. probably pretty nice overall, drop everything to help you pull out a stump, always lent you their car, etc.

I hear giving abusers the benefit of the doubt is always the right way to go. The whole "these are good people" canard isn't even worth discusiing. I'm sure klansmen are sometime Southern "fake nice" people too. Good peolple do bad things all the time, and deserve no credit for being a nice guy half the time when they're a monster the rest.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

rkajdi posted:

I hear giving abusers the benefit of the doubt is always the right way to go. The whole "these are good people" canard isn't even worth discusiing. I'm sure klansmen are sometime Southern "fake nice" people too. Good peolple do bad things all the time, and deserve no credit for being a nice guy half the time when they're a monster the rest.

The point is these good people are actually terrible, and the real takeaway is this is true for 90% of the people you already think are nice.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread has been like staring into the heart of darkness. I don't quite know what to make of it all. Thanks!

Also my heartfelt sympathies for Prester John and his African Empire.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

It's all just window-dressing to try to pretend that hitting children is a reasonable thing to do, and I'd be real shocked if any of that was actually followed. It seems mostly like a bunch of C.Y.A. stuff in case somebody starts poking around, and they can say, "We have a well thought-out policy about hitt-, ahem, I mean corrective corporal punishment! We're totally not abusing children like those other people! Honest!"

This happens anytime there's any public discussion of hitting children, and it comes down to, "the only moral child abuse is the child abuse I perpetrate." Everyone pretends they're some discipline robot who has a clearly-delineated list of behaviors that they hit children in response to, but in reality it mostly comes down to them losing their temper.

It's funny that in the paragraph about the details of how to hit children they outline the type of object to use, but then a few lines later they mention a loving belt. Seems like the person who updated the guidelines didn't do a thorough enough job in their whitewashing. I'm sure in the upcoming version of these guidelines it's referred to as an "Adjustable-Length Flexible Leather Corrective Corporal Punishment Implement (Item 27B/6)."

ErIog fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 27, 2014

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Kurnugia posted:

This thread has been like staring into the heart of darkness. I don't quite know what to make of it all. Thanks!

Also my heartfelt sympathies for Prester John and his African Empire.

EXTERMINATE THE BRUTES!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ErIog posted:

Flexible Leather Corrective Corporal Punishment Implement (Item 27B/6)
Um, I believe you mean Corporal CORRECTION. Punishment is abuse and we don't abuse people here.

goddamn PC police trampling on my right to hit kids :freep:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
So, how long until this is required lit. in ABC schools?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thegodarticle/2014/09/the-harry-potter-re-write-christian-style-is-everything-thats-wrong-with-christianity/

(also, one day I'll work up the energy of writing down some of my experiences in pentecostal(pingst) fundamentalist childhood here in Sweden. It's only recently that I've been able to un-repress some of these memories and I've been doing a bit of digging to find out the situation around some of the events to ensure my mind hasn't miscredited people that it shouldn't. So far, the result has been that I've been far too gentle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Sorry to resurrect an old-ish post but I attended an ACE school too! From K4 through 10th grade. Things were much closer to the OP at the beginning but the whole church and school mellowed out a lot over the years. But it was never as bad as the OPs experience, mostly because the teachers were actual teachers and didn't pay too much attention to the ACE manual. We spent a lot of time socializing, turning our chairs around and having class discussions, etc. I didn't realize how lucky I was!

Funny enough I know someone who does work for them in a specific capacity, as I have done myself. I wish I could say more but this forum is public. You can rest assured the main office in Lewisville is a run down dump. Everything still runs on an ancient IBM unix system held together with duct tape and bailing wire and it's all written in 4GL. They have no idea what inventory they have, what their costs are, when orders ship, etc.

The main staff moved to Florida for a while as the same lawyer family who got involved with the Terry Shaivo thing were trying to "help" Mrs Howard (the owner) run the business. Staff were told to sell their homes and move or find another job. About two years later Mrs H decided she didn't like Florida or the family of lawyers so she moved the offices to Tennessee (IIRC) where she had use of an old abandoned hospital building basically for free (despite still owning a huge complex in Texas where the warehouse and some staff still work). Staff were again told to sell their homes and move or find new jobs. Now she's supposedly grooming her son to take over the business but fat chance; she's a control freak to the max.

Oh, did I mention the whole thing where her husband was banging girls at the ACE "college" (aka the Institute) and ended up leaving her for one of them? Yeah... you don't hear much about that. Supposedly she threatened to make it public and run the company into the ground if he didn't sell her his half for super cheap. I believe he started new company that is caching in on the charter school scam.

The whole thing is purposefully presented as if it were a non-profit but it's a 100% for-profit business going right into Mrs Howard's pocket. But when review time rolls around, it's time to take one for Team Jesus because it's all for the ministry! When Mrs Howard needs to buy something (or is feeling testy) she just calls a random person into her office and says "God told me it's time for you to move on" and fires them on the spot (no severance).

Oh, and did the thread already cover the whole convention scene? State conventions feeding the big national gathering? I could go on and on about that.

Actually I could go on and on about a lot of stuff but like I said, this forum is public.

murphyslaw posted:

Any information on the organisation behind ACE, who's making the money, and how?

See above, its all one old croan: Mrs Esther Howard!

Coriolis posted:

I'm interested in this too. If someone goes through A.C.E. from beginning to end, do they have any noticeable difference in their appearance or behavior? A person who goes through that kind of experience must come out really... different, somehow.

It depends greatly on the school (i.e. where does it fall on the "cult" and "ignore ACE BS" spectrum). I was shy and introverted for some years but I could have turned out that way anyhow and since you can't A/B your life who knows. I do not talk to or have any dealings with people in that town or that I attended ACE schools with. When my family went back to visit once I stayed in my new state; I have never once regretted that decision.

Prester John posted:

The company that publishes A.C.E. is called "School of Tommorrow" and was founded by Dr. Donald Howard and his first wife Esther. Its claimed to be used in 7,000 schools worldwide, but no one really knows. No one can even guess how many students might be in those 7,000 schools, because A.C.E. schools range from 3 students to 300 students. How the finances work, where the research comes from that goes into the PACE's, as far as I'm aware, nobody knows. Its all a hush hush secret kept amongst a very insular group of people. There is no transparency whatsoever and even asking for a little transparency gets met with cries of "OPPRESSION" and accusations of satanic plots.

Oh ho ho... The number of ACE schools is falling in the US, but rising internationally. They are having tremendous trouble updating the curriculum to "4th edition", so a lot of stuff is still "3rd edition" which was still considered current 10 years ago. Once updated they'll certainly sell the current printings; trashing them would cost money and things that cost money are tools of the devil.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 27, 2014

• Locked thread