Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
So heres the skinny http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...ld-9681549.html

that article posted:

He started off his conversation with followers ethically enough, highlighting the plight of women in Ireland, where abortion is illegal, in light of the recent reports of the country’s refusal to provide a safe abortion to a suicidal rape victim. She was forced to give birth.

“Ireland is a civilised country except in this 1 area,” he tweeted, adding “You'd think the Roman Church would have lost all influence,” to caption a link to a similar article.
But after engaging in conversation with a number of users, his ethical values appeared to come a little unstuck.

“994 human beings with Down's Syndrome deliberately killed before birth in England and Wales in 2012. Is that civilised?” @AidanMcCourt asked.

“Yes, it is very civilised. These are fetuses, diagnosed before they have human feelings,” Dawkins responded.

“I honestly don't know what I would do if I were pregnant with a kid with Down Syndrome. Real ethical dilemma,” @InYourFaceNYer chimed in.
“Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world if you have the choice,” he tweeted back.

is this proof if more proof were needed that atheism is a pernicious current in society because peopel confuse religion with like basic humanistic moral values (. i have witnessed other atheists thinking theyre ridiculing religous people for their religion when they;'re actually attacking their notion of moral law), arguably the building blocks of a civilised society, and start morally reasoning in a realy inhuman and lets face it really weird way. what is this society he claims to be at the service of. there is clearly something underlying why he says these things and its not pure logic

max weber the protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism (i've only read like the first chapter so correct me if im talking poo poo) talks about how capitalism originaly derives from the moral values of calvinism whioch has this same anti-moral-prescriptiveness thing because due to concept of predestination they (v. early on, by all acounts calvinists mellowed out over the centuries i dont know any calvinists and i gues i;m not given over to having deep theological conversations so much anyway) thought that if you were a good (that is it pleases god to make you one of the elect) person then you would have a lot of material success in life and so basic material wealth is a prime virtue in itself. and conversely anyone who fails to controbute to such people accumulating material wealth is bad.

so i mean i was brought up with these kind of calvinist values by my staunchly atheist father so i;m accustomed to the idea of atheists retaining stongly felt moral values that find their origin in old religios tenets. theres secular humanism as well which i guess is like trying to retain the (originally renaissance catholic) concept of humanism but have that moral philosphy not be informed by religion

so yeah what i was rambling in the general direction of saying was: is this guy anexample of how you can't base moral philosopgy on atheism because then you choose whatever moral framework comes to hand which is probably the one where you don't have to lift a finger to help anyone and u can be as privileged as poo poo and not care maybe?? or worse does atheism just make you value inhuman (or utilitarian, is that inhuman?)considerations over human ones. like he looks like he's doing

does valuing something abstract and inhuman over the human make you insane. who's worse when they do that, capitalists or religious zealots

Abandon fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
i'm grey

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Smoke weed every day.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

God is dead

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bOJT_HtUI

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

lol @ anyone who bothers to read the op

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
U r a tly poo poo writer op

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

hemale in pain posted:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
adding that my gods are not dead, they are mighty, and deserving of glory and sacrifice

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
someone sum that poo poo up cause i sure as gently caress aint reading it

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
look at dat cool block of text. gently caress yea lol

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Christianity is stupid.

Give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDfrrgqy_Eo

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
we already have a DS thread and your core quote deals with that but ok whatever heres a comedic reply to your query (which i did read in part)

atheism definitely does deprive you of the 'respect for life' which is at the core of christianity. i mean you see atheists like wanting to kill shitloads of people all the time. or enjoying the suffering of others and like masturbating to their tears and all that. i mean obviously plenty of "xtians" have done hosed up things too in the past but a lot of these atheists consider doing hosed up things a principle which needs to be enforced rather than an aberration by wrong-minded ppl.

i believe than an atheist can actually be deeply spiritual (by which i mean in tune with god and the kingdom of heaven etc.) because he only really thinks he is atheist because he doesn't believe in weird magical stuff like walking on water or bodily resurrection or whatever. but his values are still fundamentally christian. this is the 'secular humanist' you mentioned -- basically a form of christian that is not really cognizant of the concept of miracles or divinity but still understands it on an unconscious/spiritual level. HECK i'd put christopher hitchens in this category.

but a lot of people just hate religion for the same reason people have always hated religion, it tells you to be a good person and respect all human life, even if it's not the most pragmatic/consequentialist outcome for yourself or society. cheers op.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
abort downies

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I worship Thor. The rest of you follow some guy that let a bunch of Italians nail his son to a 2x4.
Y'all are some stupid fucks.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
his values are still fundamentally christian
his values are still fundamentally jewish
his values are still fundamentally egyptian
his values are still

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

GORILLA BASTARD posted:

I worship Thor. The rest of you follow some guy that let a bunch of Italians nail his son to a 2x4.
Y'all are some stupid fucks.

high-five thunderer worshiping buddy

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
oh sorry i had a cursory look for an existing thrread but couldnt see one

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

we already have a DS thread and your core quote deals with that but ok whatever heres a comedic reply to your query (which i did read in part)

atheism definitely does deprive you of the 'respect for life' which is at the core of christianity. i mean you see atheists like wanting to kill shitloads of people all the time. or enjoying the suffering of others and like masturbating to their tears and all that. i mean obviously plenty of "xtians" have done hosed up things too in the past but a lot of these atheists consider doing hosed up things a principle which needs to be enforced rather than an aberration by wrong-minded ppl.

i believe than an atheist can actually be deeply spiritual (by which i mean in tune with god and the kingdom of heaven etc.) because he only really thinks he is atheist because he doesn't believe in weird magical stuff like walking on water or bodily resurrection or whatever. but his values are still fundamentally christian. this is the 'secular humanist' you mentioned -- basically a form of christian that is not really cognizant of the concept of miracles or divinity but still understands it on an unconscious/spiritual level. HECK i'd put christopher hitchens in this category.

but a lot of people just hate religion for the same reason people have always hated religion, it tells you to be a good person and respect all human life, even if it's not the most pragmatic/consequentialist outcome for yourself or society. cheers op.

I have no idea what level of irony you're operating on, if any. I can't figure out whether you're extremely cool or literally insane, but it's one of those.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I have no idea what level of irony you're operating on, if any. I can't figure out whether you're extremely cool or literally insane, but it's one of those.

the two are often correlated

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

You seem like a good judge of character.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
whare is the other dick dorkins thread??

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Abandon posted:

whare is the other dick dorkins thread??

Have you checked up your mother's butt?

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
The moral philosophies of religious people aren't based on anything more solid than what a secular humanist/atheist's would be based on. Religious people's morality is just based on the ideas that some guys came up thousands of years ago, and a lot of those ideas were based on primitive superstitions.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Have you thought about taking Jesus Christ as your savior?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

hemale in pain posted:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

the two are often correlated

yeah but in this case it's one or the other

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
like either you know that what you're saying is total bullshit and it's actually a brilliant satire that I can't quite conclusively determine is satire (thus making it better) or you literally believe those things and you are completely off your nut

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

lol if you're not down with Camus, Sartre, and this whole absurd existence.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
hey kyrie just wanted 2 say i got your back, thanks for oposting in my thread. im still thinking about the stuff you said about eros ages ago

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
M oily rally repugnsnt. So what.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
what did kyrie say bout eros?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Dennis System posted:

The moral philosophies of religious people aren't based on anything more solid than what a secular humanist/atheist's would be based on. Religious people's morality is just based on the ideas that some guys came up thousands of years ago, and a lot of those ideas were based on primitive superstitions.

they are based in human tradition and in 'spirituality', whatever that means to you. it's based on a higher, transcendent understanding of virtue and righteousness and whatnot, passed on through generations from the earliest human times until now. i'm not saying everyone 2000 years ago had the right idea but i am saying their higher values are not only worth something but inspiring of a greater appreciation for the potential of the human race.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
kyrie I just want to make sure that I have this absolutely straight: you think that atheists do not actually exist, and that people who claim to be atheists are actually delusional and deep down they know god is real, is that what you think?

I'm not even ridiculing you at this point I am honestly asking to make sure I understand this correctly

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

what did kyrie say bout eros?

i didnt get something about catholicism vis a vis sexual identity but i think i get it better now. nmainly im disabused of the notion that catholicism says one sexual identy is good and one is bad, thats not it

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

The Dennis System posted:

congrats on misunderstanding literally everything worth understanding about human history and the development of society

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
and religion is based on revelation. not some grimy set of rules and observances that guy hanging out drunk at the 7/11 could have come up with. if he could, everyone would develop their own cohesive set of ethics and prescriptions and it'd be a philosophical free for all. but we have nothing close to that in this world. it's like, 6 major religions and maybe 20 or so lil ones at the moment. people who start religions (systems of ethics basically) are rare.

Ocean Book posted:

congrats on misunderstanding literally everything worth understanding about human history and the development of society

this was my thought too. all of human thought and society basically feeds off of the original religious revelatory impulses. even this atheist movement is in large part a reaction to the christian worldview. can't have one without the other. this is not a value judgement, just an observation.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 21, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

U r a tly poo poo writer op

:):hf::)

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

kyrie I just want to make sure that I have this absolutely straight: you think that atheists do not actually exist, and that people who claim to be atheists are actually delusional and deep down they know god is real, is that what you think?

I'm not even ridiculing you at this point I am honestly asking to make sure I understand this correctly

hey man a lot of atheists i know are legit unable to handle the idea of that religoius people are people and think in a recognissable human way. like i was talkiing to guy about how my coworker went bike rides at his church cycling club and he was like "oh is that where they all go to be deluded together and ride bikes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

i am certain atheists exists, i'm saying that some atheists have a spiritual side (which i would consider the same thing as a religious side) and that others have turned against their spiritual side in a way that results in evil ideology.

• Locked thread