Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

lmfao i love how you become all anti-gay just because i like to wear girl clothes. at the same time you'll decry christians for being homophobic. you are one of the worst hypocrites i have ever met and you should probably just go to craigslist and suck a dick already so you can stop this ridiculous charade

Homosexual people are fantastic people, and I love them. So I'm not anti-gay, I'm anti-Kyrie eleison. Also it's funny to see you teetering so close to having another meltdown and getting banned again, and I wanna really want to see that happen. And who knows, maybe you'll even realize you don't have to be a self-hating gay, and will embrace who you truly are.

Probably not, though.

-EDIT-

VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Kyrie is all kinds of hosed up in the head. If archives worked, I wasn't massively lazy I'd dig up some of his old posts. Check his rap sheet, though, its hilarious.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

lmfao i love how you become all anti-gay just because i like to wear girl clothes.

ha ha what

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

really incisive stuff thanks (gently caress you)

I wish I could offer advice to help you, but I don't think there is much that can. Maybe therapy or something? I don't know. You are probably too far gone.

I blame your parents.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

how come religious people like hardly ever actually read their holy book of choice. like how people are just super ignorant about what is actually in the bible.

if i thought i had a book with all the answers to life then i'd probably read it. like maybe even twice.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Kyrie is actually a good poster. He just adopts absurdist contrarian positions in order to make you think.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

FirstPersonShitter posted:

how come religious people like hardly ever actually read their holy book of choice. like how people are just super ignorant about what is actually in the bible.

if i thought i had a book with all the answers to life then i'd probably read it. like maybe even twice.

idk how come atheists are totally ignorant of the bible and believe lots of made up stuff about it??? probably the same reason, people are lazy dumb pieces of poo poo that like to have opinions anyway

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't think that's true, Kyrie. Most atheists grew up in Christian churches.

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

how come atheists are totally ignorant of the bible

you dont need to eat a poo poo sandwich to know it will taste bad

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Maoist Pussy posted:

I don't think that's true, Kyrie. Most atheists grew up in Christian churches.

most christians go to christian churches, doesn't mean they know anything about the bible. before i read it i realized i knew very little about it. i constantly find people saying just outright wrong things about it. the main flaw atheists have in interpreting the bible is that they do not even try to understand the intended interpretation. as far as they are concerned it is not only a 'flawed book' but essentially the writings of madmen. they go in thinking the book is evil and anything it says is wrong. there is no way they can even begin to comprehend the bible with this uncharitable perspective that fails to understand the mindset of the people writing it, or for that matter the sheer variety of content and perspectives in the bible, which is really more a library of books than a single book

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

as far as they are concerned it is not only a 'flawed book' but essentially the writings of madmen. they go in thinking the book is evil and anything it says is wrong.

I don't think this is true, either. Most people recognize that it is a powerful work of literature with some flaws/out of date ideas.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I was a devout christian who chose to be baptized when I read the bible.

Anyways, nothing wrong with being a christian. There IS something wrong with being kyrie though.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Apogee15 posted:

Reading kyrie's posts it's easy to come to the conclusion that he is just trolling, because no one can be as idiotic and moronic as his posts make him out to be.

But he isn't trolling. He really is just that stupid.

When you have to resort to saying poo poo like this it's a tacit admission you're bitchmade and got trolled

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

BigBoss posted:

When you have to resort to saying poo poo like this it's a tacit admission you're bitchmade and got trolled

yeah

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kyrie is a good poster that cares

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Alright, although I wouldn't say "resort to" since that's what I started out doing.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
hmm interesting now maybe try not posting?

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Miltank posted:

hmm interesting now maybe try not posting?

That's too hard.

This thread deserves to die, and i'm just doing my part.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 23, 2014

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

Tell me again how it's atheism that is repugnant...

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Kanthulhu posted:

Ok, but that's a weird fetish you have.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
drat kyrie, really losing your cool here, hope you get well

also:

Kyrie eleison posted:

lmfao i love how you become all anti-gay just because i like to wear girl clothes
is it getting hot in here, or is it just me

rudatron fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 24, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Kanthulhu posted:

atheism is repugnant ;)

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Kanthulhu posted:

Westboro Baptist Church is a kooky little doomsday cult. Even the most radical Christian Dominionists don't endorse their views.

Richard Dawkins literally advocated eugenics last week and is still regarded as a leading figure and role model among atheists.

I mean, I'm an atheist myself, but what Dawkins said was repugnant, and it's just another in a long list of really terrible poo poo he's said.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
dawkins has his own cargo cult sure, but it's not clear exactly how much support he has broadly, especially when you go beyond his arguments for atheism (which are technically weak-sauce)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
if there's a analogy here it's probably between him and the evangelical community, both have a small number of figures that make their money selling books to the same audience over and over again

also both are probs. islamphobes

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

lexan posted:

Westboro Baptist Church is a kooky little doomsday cult.

It's actually more like a company. A statistically relevant number of the family are practicing lawyers, and a large part of what they do is basically act up to get other folks to start poo poo, then they fall on them like the wrath of God. Morally it's atrocious, but it's functionally beautiful like most predators tend to be.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

rudatron posted:

dawkins has his own cargo cult sure, but it's not clear exactly how much support he has broadly, especially when you go beyond his arguments for atheism (which are technically weak-sauce)

I agree to a point. A few years ago, he was definitely the world's leading atheist, and most atheist activists were big supporters. A lot of that changed over the last few years as he's been coming across as more and more of a smug prick in public. His feud with Rebecca Watson definitely lost him the support of a lot of left leaning a theists.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i think he expected his movement to take of as a kind of counter-religion (eg. the bus-ads), but it didn't work because he couldn't moral philosophize worth a drat (he attempted to but basically ended up pulling a naturalistic fallacy)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dick dorkins is a pretty good example of what happens when you go full on rationalist

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

i think he expected his movement to take of as a kind of counter-religion (eg. the bus-ads), but it didn't work because he couldn't moral philosophize worth a drat (he attempted to but basically ended up pulling a naturalistic fallacy)

this just goes to show how difficult being a moral philosopher actually is. because you have to not be a total dickhead in the first place, and he fails that test. the first rule of being a moral/ethical philosopher is "put up or shut up".

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

kyrie, lexan actually tried to engage with you on the last page and you skipped over it to say swears at people that insulted you

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

lexan posted:

Westboro Baptist Church is a kooky little doomsday cult. Even the most radical Christian Dominionists don't endorse their views.

Richard Dawkins literally advocated eugenics last week and is still regarded as a leading figure and role model among atheists.

I mean, I'm an atheist myself, but what Dawkins said was repugnant, and it's just another in a long list of really terrible poo poo he's said.

You know that atheism isn't a religion, right? One atheist doesn't have to regard what another atheist says as the truth above all no matter how important that person is.

Dawkins has some good debates where he defended believing in god is stupid as hell. I agree with it. Dawkins has also said some very stupid things that I don't agree with. There is nothing wrong with that.

It doesn't hurt atheism either because atheism isn't a set of beliefs that he could be tarnishing. Literally the only thing atheists have in common is not believing in god. And that's not a dogma, like we have in religion. It's quite the opposite of that.

And this last bit is not directed to lexan necessarily but it's fascinating how religious people sometimes have a hard time understanding how non-religious people think. They look at Dawkins saying poo poo on twitter and go, "aha, now I can't wait to see what atheists are going to say to try to defend that! Take that, atheists!" Because they compare this situation with what happens when the Pope says something regrettable and Catholics have to work hard to defend it, but it's not the same situation at all because there are no Popes for atheists. That is, no one is in a position of authority that others have to defend. Each atheist can operate using their own reason and reach completely different conclusions about things, there are no dogmas one has to follow.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

You know that atheism isn't a religion, right?

Each atheist can operate using their own reason and reach completely different conclusions about things, there are no dogmas one has to follow.

Yes, but there is a bit of a community and movement. There are atheist organizations, periodicals, conventions, etc.

As an atheist, I don't want Dawkins to continue to have a platform through such venues. I don't want him to be invited to speak at CSICOP events. I don't want Skeptic magazine to publish his editorials and advertise his lectures.

He's repugnant, and any atheist organization that embraces and promotes him is as well.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Kanthulhu posted:

You know that atheism isn't a religion, right?

1) it is 2) it might not hurt atheism's arguments but it hurts atheism's reputation & the best thing atheists could do right now wrt dawkins is hit him with rocks & bats until he shuts up forever

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lfield posted:

1) it is 2) it might not hurt atheism's arguments but it hurts atheism's reputation & the best thing atheists could do right now wrt dawkins is hit him with rocks & bats until he shuts up forever

What are the tenents of atheism?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 24, 2014

lfield
May 10, 2008
im sure lots of atheists rent

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

lexan posted:

Eugenics is actually good, you doofus.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

lexan posted:

Well, sure, I understand that everyone who calls themselves a Christian doesn't necessarily pass the litmus test. I also understand that different Christian individuals and institutions will have a different standard.

So what's the standard? Can you give me one that isn't based on retroactively trying to excise the people you don't like? I always thought adherence to the Nicene Creed was a pretty solid definition.

I haven't answered this because there is really no good answer besides looking at the sort of work that they do. The Nicene Creed works well in tandem to this, but I would be far more inclined to ignore the creed than to ignore evil action.

Matthew 7 15-20 posted:

Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

I haven't answered this because there is really no good answer besides looking at the sort of work that they do. The Nicene Creed works well in tandem to this, but I would be far more inclined to ignore the creed than to ignore evil action.

Trees have combinations of good and bad fruits all the time. That's why farm-hands have to cut the bad fruit away all the time.

Man, between this and not knowing when fig trees bear fruit it's pretty obvious that Jesus didn't know poo poo about horticulture.

-edit-

You don't cut down and burn a tree just because of one bad yield. Goddamn, Jesus is the worst at metaphors.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

• Locked thread