Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Love Machine posted:

I never got the chance to play Pikmin 3

You say this like its an Old game, its new man its on the Wii U.
oh right yea no one has a wii u may as well be an outa production prototype VR machine form the 80's.

How long before Nintendo pull a sega and start developing for other consoles I wonder?

The pikmin in this game seem to take longer to bud and flower than I recall from the other games, Or is that just my imagination it almost seems like they expect you to leave em in the ground over night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Hey, I'm at a PAX art party thing or whatever, and they have this incredibly on-topic piece for sale. Thought you all would like it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Panboy posted:

You say this like its an Old game, its new man its on the Wii U.
oh right yea no one has a wii u may as well be an outa production prototype VR machine form the 80's.

How long before Nintendo pull a sega and start developing for other consoles I wonder?

WiiU sales have been steadily picking up since it started getting good games over the last ~year or so. Ever since Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, DK: Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 hit the shelves WiiU sales started rising again. In mid 2013 they'd only sold around 3.5 million WiiU's but they're up to 7 million now. Nintendo announced earlier this year that as sales were below projections for the last holiday season they were scaling back but then sales started picking up again.

The WiiU has outsold the Xbone in Japan so Nintendo are a long way away from pulling a Sega.

All of this also ignores the fact that Nintendo's biggest market by far that dwarfs the entire console market combined by an entire order of magnitude is their mobile games (3ds and such).

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 31, 2014

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

zfleeman posted:

Hey, I'm at a PAX art party thing or whatever, and they have this incredibly on-topic piece for sale. Thought you all would like it.

You should buy it.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

zfleeman posted:

I would buy that so hard.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Ultigonio posted:

I would buy that so hard.

It's a part of Fangamer x Attract Mode. A good selection of the 2013 prints were sold via the Fangamer website, like Chie in the Meat Dimension so there's a pretty good chance they might do it again this year. (I would probably buy it too.)

Incidentally, the artist for the two pieces are the same. You can see the Pikmin art in better detail here on his tumblr.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I hope we find Olimar just chilling out somewhere analogous to a beach resort, being waited on hand and foot by a hundred specially trained Pikmin.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Cryohazard posted:

I hope we find Olimar just chilling out somewhere analogous to a beach resort, being waited on hand and foot by a hundred specially trained Pikmin.

Dude its been like 200 million years.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

These datalogs sure have sat there for along time in that case...

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Day 5 -- Tundra Troubles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf14SYehhIg

Alphie has some troubles flying the ship, which puts us in a sticky situation. If... snow were stick-... sticky.

In all seriousness, Day 5 brought back a lot of familiar features and objects from previous Pikmin games, and introduced us to a new environment that is teaming with wildlife and adventure. I keep getting distracted from trying to be good at this game, and instead get more involved with the conversation. I know that’s not really a bad thing, but it definitely results in me trudging through the story. Which, I guess if this is a blind LP for everybody involved, it should feel more natural?

I dunno, I dunno, what do you all want? :ohdear:
AND WILL WE EVER SAVE THE CAPTAIN?! :ohdear::ohdear:

Cryohazard posted:

Somebody should draw this.

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 31, 2014

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

--deleted because I am really bad at clicking buttons--

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That would be China that you're landing in.
You can see Sulawesi, Indonesia as you approached.

it might be Thailand or something too, I guess.

/scenerynerdout.

Also kinda worried for Btittany, since you just abandoned her in the open.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 31, 2014

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Brit is standing right next to one of those fuckin grabber bugs. Hate those.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Veloxyll posted:

That would be China that you're landing in.
You can see Sulawesi, Indonesia as you approached.

it might be Thailand or something too, I guess.

/scenerynerdout.

Also kinda worried for Btittany, since you just abandoned her in the open.

Brittany's hardcore, she can take it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I guess you missed that big arrow down by the stream that indicated you can throw pikmin back and forth. You could have handled that electric barrier today if you had noticed it.

Also, I don't think that plant turned rock pikmin into red pikmin; I think it just planted them back in the ground. It seems like the idea is that you can throw in leaf pikmin and let them sit so they'll become buds or flowers even if you plucked them early the first time.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I guess you missed that big arrow down by the stream that indicated you can throw pikmin back and forth. You could have handled that electric barrier today if you had noticed it.

Also, I don't think that plant turned rock pikmin into red pikmin; I think it just planted them back in the ground. It seems like the idea is that you can throw in leaf pikmin and let them sit so they'll become buds or flowers even if you plucked them early the first time.

Oh I wondered how you got them to grow to flower Pikmin in this game. Or is there some nectar (or whatever it was) equivalent too?

What happens if all your Pikmin of a given color die? Do you have to replay that day so they don't become extinct?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I don't know about Pikmin 3, but in the old games, if you lost every Pikmin of one color, the appropriate Onion would spit out a single seed of that color.

Why did Nintendo make the galactic date 2000-something, but then imply that millions of years have passed by showing huge continental drift on Earth from our present?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
To imply that their society is at a similar level to ours, if a little more advanced in the realm of spaceflight?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You guys are putting way more thought into the realistic passage of time than Nintendo did.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Unless they changed how Candypop flowers work in this game, they'll turn whatever color Pikmin you throw into them into the color of the flower. You just didn't see it in the video cause he only threw in Red Pikmin!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Unless they changed how Candypop flowers work in this game, they'll turn whatever color Pikmin you throw into them into the color of the flower. You just didn't see it in the video cause he only threw in Red Pikmin!

I figured that might be true. Still, looks like you can use it for the thing I mentioned.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Yeah, Candypop Buds definitely change Pikmin colors; in the second game it was the only way to get purple and white pikmin. If you don't have a pressing need for their particular color of Pikmin, though, you CAN use them to replant leafmin so they'll bloom without having to try and find nectar someplace.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Having to replay that one cave over and over again to get 100 purps in Pikmin 2 was the only bad thing about that game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Zoran posted:

I don't know about Pikmin 3, but in the old games, if you lost every Pikmin of one color, the appropriate Onion would spit out a single seed of that color.

Why did Nintendo make the galactic date 2000-something, but then imply that millions of years have passed by showing huge continental drift on Earth from our present?

Captain Bravo posted:

To imply that their society is at a similar level to ours, if a little more advanced in the realm of spaceflight?

Humanity is long extinct, why would these little creatures (that from now on I will refer to as Olimen because we never get a species name for these guys) use the same calendar and date system as Humans did? Galactic Date 2000-something doesn't mean anything to us, presumably it makes sense to the Olimen though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neruz posted:

Humanity is long extinct, why would these little creatures (that from now on I will refer to as Olimen because we never get a species name for these guys) use the same calendar and date system as Humans did? Galactic Date 2000-something doesn't mean anything to us, presumably it makes sense to the Olimen though.

But they eat fruit. Olimar etc eat vegetables. And collect trinkets and nick knacks.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

But they eat fruit. Olimar etc eat vegetables. And collect trinkets and nick knacks.

They're the same basic size and shape, they enjoy different foods (note that the remark about Hocotatians eating vegtebles isn't like "vegtables are inedible to us" it's "vegtables are disgusting eww!") and live on different worlds. Given that the Olimen clearly have interstellar capable spacecraft I assume that the Hocotatians and the ones in this game are from the same parent species of Olimen and are the results of interstellar colonization efforts. Having then evolved on two completely seperate planets with presumably fairly different environments to each other they have diverged genetically but they still retain the same basic morphology and similar biology.

I guess Olimen would be more like a... Genus name? A clade maybe?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Neruz posted:

They're the same basic size and shape, they enjoy different foods (note that the remark about Hocotatians eating vegtebles isn't like "vegtables are inedible to us" it's "vegtables are disgusting eww!") and live on different worlds. Given that the Olimen clearly have interstellar capable spacecraft I assume that the Hocotatians and the ones in this game are from the same parent species of Olimen and are the results of interstellar colonization efforts. Having then evolved on two completely seperate planets with presumably fairly different environments to each other they have diverged genetically but they still retain the same basic morphology and similar biology.

I guess Olimen would be more like a... Genus name? A clade maybe?

Could be more of a cultural thing? Like eating certain things in China is considered weird, but its perfectly fine to eat that thing in Germany. "Hocotatians" could just be the interplanetary version of "Germans" or "Japanese".

We are putting entirely too much thought in to this.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Brittany's hardcore, she can take it.

Also she has a cave with a heat/light source in to take shelter in.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
If anyone is hardcore it's probably the captain, he's been without spacejuice for over 5 days now.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Captain is dead. RIP.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Figuring out how to rescue Brittany in one day is really satisfying. It's a bit difficult and requires a lot of efficient use of the "Go Here!" function (get some practice on that zfleeman, you're gonna need it!) but it's fun.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Regy Rusty posted:

Figuring out how to rescue Brittany in one day is really satisfying. It's a bit difficult and requires a lot of efficient use of the "Go Here!" function (get some practice on that zfleeman, you're gonna need it!) but it's fun.

I was just watching Miles's 10-day 100% run, and the amount of multitasking involved was insane. He also pulled it off with absolutely no deaths.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
you have to wonder how waste full these guys really are, they harvest a fruit that's 10 times their size. and jup this will feed the 3 of us for about a day.
Its little wonder their home planet is running outa food.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Panboy posted:

you have to wonder how waste full these guys really are, they harvest a fruit that's 10 times their size. and jup this will feed the 3 of us for about a day.
Its little wonder their home planet is running outa food.

Well I mean on the other hand as someone who's cooked with fruit before I sorta buy the amount of juice they're getting outta the fruits. "The juice of one lemon" is way less juice than you might think, it's like twenty, thirty mL. Just buying a bottle of juice sort of obfuscates how much fruit you're using. A glass of apple juice is probably like six apples.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

But we're talking about people small enough to swim in a glass of apple juice.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also if you're losing a lot of the mass and nutrition of the fruit in the juicing process, you probably shouldn't be wasting food by juicing it. If they just popped off the drupes, rinsed it off, and sliced up that Strawberry, it would probably feed the entire crew for at least three days.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

They came with liquid rations though, so presumably they have some sort of liquid-centric digestive system. Which for people of that size I think is viableish?

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Remember that this is a species which entirely ran out of food on their home planet. Maybe they just have no idea how inefficient their processing is.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also remember that the juice is actually a secondary function. The juice is just to keep these 3 going long enough for them to gather enough fruit seeds to take home to grow. The process doesn't need to be super efficient, which we don't know if it is or isn't because for all we know that juice is some kind of liquified fruit concentrate rather than just straight juice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

blakyoshi posted:

Remember that this is a species which entirely ran out of food on their home planet. Maybe they just have no idea how inefficient their processing is.

This would literally require that they not notice the giant pile of solid matter they throw in the trash every time they juice a fruit. A species with that little situational awareness doesn't make it to space flight. Hell, a species with that little situational awareness doesn't make it to abstract thought.

• Locked thread