Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

http://www.usopen.org/index.html

The tournament begins Monday, August 25 and ends Monday, September 8. Yep, the USTA has finally realized that they should schedule a Monday final.

TV coverage is a clusterfuck between Tennis Channel, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS Sports Network, and CBS. Details here: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/about/tv_us.html

The US Open also has complete radio coverage available on their website and app.

Draws

Top 8 Men's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
N Djokovic 2.37
R Federer 3.50
A Murray 7.00
S Wawrinka 13.00
G Dimitrov 17.00
Milos Raonic 21.00
J-W Tsonga 23.00
T Berdych 51.00
K Nishikori 51.00

Top 8 Women's Betting Favorites (Ladbrokes)
S Williams 2.62
M Sharapova 7.00
Simona Halep 9.00
P Kvitova 11.00
Eugenie Bouchard 13.00
V Azarenka 17.00
A Radwanska 17.00
A Kerber 26.00
C Wozniacki 26.00
A Ivanovic 29.00

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OP updated with draws. Potential roads to the final for the Top 4 seeds a.k.a. Novak is hosed a.k.a. congrats on #18, Roger.

Djokovic
1: Schwartzman
2: Muller / Mathieu
3: Garcia-Lopez
4: Isner / Kohlschreiber
QF: Tsonga / Murray
SF: Wawrinka / Nishikori / Raonic
F: Federer

Wawrinka
1: Vesely
2: Belluci / Mahut
3: Chardy
4: Robredo / Youzhny
QF: Nishikori / Raonic
SF: Djokovic
F: Federer

Ferrer
1: Dzumhur
2: Tomic / Brown
3: Simon
4: Cilic / Anderson
QF: Berdych / Gulbis
SF: Federer / Dimitrov
F: Djokovic

Federer
1: Matosevic
2: Groth / Ramos-Vinolas
3: Karlovic
4: Fognini / Batista Agut
QF: Dimitrov / Gasquet
SF: Ferrer / Berdych
F: Djokovic

And here's Murray's death draw:
R1 - Haase
R2 - Stepanek
R3 - Verdasco
R4 - Tsonga
QF - Djokovic
SF - Wawrinka
F - Federer

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 22, 2014

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

OP updated with draws. Potential roads to the final for the Top 4 seeds a.k.a. Novak is hosed a.k.a. congrats on #18, Roger.

I told myself after Wimbledon that I wouldn't let Federer break my heart again, yet here we are.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ssbbud posted:

I told myself after Wimbledon that I wouldn't let Federer break my heart again, yet here we are.
Were you a Buffalo Bills fan in the early 90s?

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Federer has like 17 majors, I think you can deal with the heartbreak if you're a fan.

edit: holy gently caress Murray hahaa

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Draws updated with qualifiers and betting odds updated. Federer's odds increased slightly, as did Serena's.

I'm really hard pressed to pick between Fed and Djoker. On the one hand, Fed is riding a wave of strong play and Djoker has a really hard draw. On the other, if Djoker makes it to the final, he has the mental edge over Fed and the courts are more favorable compared to Wimbledon.

Men's Picks

QF
Djokovic over Murray
Raonic over Kyrgios
Ferrer over Lopez
Federer over Dimitrov

SF
Djokovic over Raonic
Federer over Ferrer

Final
Djokovic over Federer in 5

Women's Picks

QF
Serena over Ivanovic
Kvitova over Bouchard
Kerber over Radwanska
Sharapova over Halep

SF
Serena over Kvitova
Sharapova over Kerber

Final
Serena over Sharapova

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 25, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

This is the last scheduled Monday final right? People always suggested Wimbledon move back a week yet really it's the US Open that desperately needs to move. Monday might be more convenient for US tv yet not so convenient for everyone else.

I watched all of Bouchard's matches since Wimbledon and it was so awful. In Montreal she lost in a match in 6-0 2-6 6-0. I do realise her slam record is completely different to her nonslam one, but I will be surprised if she does as well here.

e: Halep drops the first set and is playing mediocre.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 25, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah Bouchard has been playing pretty poorly since Wimbledon (1-3 I think) and had her thigh all taped up in her last match, where she got completely demolished by Stosur. I think an early exit might be in the cards here. I'm interested to see how Francoise Abanda does later on today. She's a 17-year-old player from Quebec and this is her first major. She completely destroyed her qualifying bracket, though she's playing Lisicki in the first round so it would be a huge surprise for her to go any further. Still, a competitive match would be nice to see.

Raonic and Pospisil both have fairly nice draws on the men's side, though I don't think either of them will make it past Wawrinka. Interested to see if Pospisil and Sock can keep their momentum going in doubles as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you missed it, watch the last 2 sets of Murray/Haase on WatchESPN when you get the chance. :wtf:

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm so glad Grand Slam tennis is back. I like the Masters well enough but the US Open is probably my favorite major and it's good to see it again.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Been waiting for Maria vs Maria for ages now. The longest opening ceremony ever.... at the end of first day of play?!?

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 26, 2014

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

So I'll be attending the US Open on Friday. Anything I should know about the facilities, concessions, anything like that?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

Abel Wingnut posted:

So I'll be attending the US Open on Friday. Anything I should know about the facilities, concessions, anything like that?

I'm attending tomorrow so I'll post a quick guide on Wednesday. That being said, anyone have that information any sooner? I have a grounds pass so I think I'm going to start at court 17 to watch Nishikori v Odesnik. Should be a good time!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I usually go for the quarters just about every year, grab a few overpriced Heinekens, and enjoy the night out. It's fun, and I'm not even a hardcore tennis fan (but my little sister is).

Edit: as soon as I posted this, my sister texted me with ticket information :v:

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 26, 2014

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Loving TSN's coverage right now - 4 different channels/matches at the same time? Hell yes :getin:

Watching Goerges-Pennetta right now, Goerges is hilariously inconsistent but entertaining to watch

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Great point between Doi and Azarenka just now. 5-5 first set.

Misaki Doi had set point at 5-4 in Vika's serve but is now facing BP's in her own serve.

EDIT Doi takes first set in tie-break! 3 DF's from Vika in the tie-break. Great play from Doi but Vika is not the same this year after her injury.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Doi looks like she is 12 and is killing it. What a crazy sport.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
AO finalist Domi Cibulkova is out in first round against 15 year old Catherine Bellis (ranked #1208). :aaaaa:

No camera on that court but it went 3 sets: 6/1 4/6 6/4.

This is Bellis 3 years ago:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 26, 2014

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
I was watching that match from the practice stands and it was incredible. The crowd was insane.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Abel Wingnut posted:

when I went I got vertigo because the upper deck was so steep

I am not sure if this is helpful to you

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you have a few minutes, this is a nice piece comparing Bouchard to Halep: http://grantland.com/features/simona-halep-genie-bouchard-us-open-womens-tennis/

Also I'd love to see them put Bellis on Ashe for her next match. Put her on first or second, but put her on!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Aga Radwanska just went out to Peng. That is disappointing after that nice win Aga had a few weeks ago. As well as Peng played, if Aga had taken the double break chance in the first set things could've been different.

Josh Lyman posted:

Also I'd love to see them put Bellis on Ashe for her next match. Put her on first or second, but put her on!

Putting a 15 year old on the biggest tennis stage is a crazy idea!

Bellis doesn't get any prize money since she's an amateur, but her family appear to be rich so don't feel bad for her.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Quite the battle between Petkovic and Puig right now. Puig was up 4-1 in the final set but then Petko smashed her racket to pieces and won 4 straight games. The german now leads 5-4. :getin:

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
Sharapova down first set and not looking very good. Sounds kinda familiar.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tomorrow's schedule is out. Not many matches catch my eye.

Bouchard is last on Ashe so ESPN will be covering her match in full.

Cici Bellis is last on Court 17 which is a pretty good assignment.

Videogame Stench
Feb 11, 2011

Serena's doing a lot better than I could against the final boss of Virtua Tennis

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Pretty uncompetitive matches on Ashe today. Even though it's still early I have to say the tournament's been a bit ho-hum so far. Hardly any upsets or even difficulties for the top 20 seeds or so on either side.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Pretty uncompetitive matches on Ashe today. Even though it's still early I have to say the tournament's been a bit ho-hum so far. Hardly any upsets or even difficulties for the top 20 seeds or so on either side.
Ivanovic lost in straights and Genie could lose tonight, but yeah, not much resistance.

Although sets 3 and 4 of Wawa last night were pretty dramatic.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Well, Raonic vs Gojowczyk just got a bit interesting. 1-1. Breaks pretty few and far between. Milos not playing horribly but he's a bit passive and the serve isn't really on.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Is Ashe usually this quiet? You could hear a pin drop in there.

e: actually they may just be damping the crowd noise on the broadcast, it sounds a bit muffled.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 29, 2014

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Mike Tirico with an emphatic "Yes!" after Bouchard hits a passing shot on Cirstea :rolleyes:

Edit: gently caress

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 29, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ouch, Venus just got bageled by Errani in the first set.

e: lol and now Venus takes the second set 6-0. WTA.txt

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 29, 2014

Satisfaction Guaranteed
Jan 17, 2001

Forum Veteran

colonel_korn posted:

Ouch, Venus just got bageled by Errani in the first set.

e: lol and now Venus takes the second set 6-0. WTA.txt

This 3rd set has been all sorts of awesome. Some of the most exciting tennis I've ever seen.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

As exciting as the Venus match is, Halep is in deep poo poo now a set and two breaks down. Halep hasn't been playing great recently so it isn't a huge shock.

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

This 3rd set has been all sorts of awesome. Some of the most exciting tennis I've ever seen.

Yeah once we had two breaks back-to-back this match became special.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Sodium Chloride posted:

As exciting as the Venus match is, Halep is in deep poo poo now a set and two breaks down. Halep hasn't been playing great recently so it isn't a huge shock.

Pretty huge upset to me. Halep out to Lucic Baroni. :drat:

EDIT I've been watching Kerber vs Bencic and the swiss has come back from being down 2-5 in the second set.

Kerber took a bathroom break changing clothes after first set loss 1-6. :rolleyes: She was up 5-2 in the second but now Bencic is back and serving for the match (winning 4 games in a row)

EDIT2 Aaaand Kerber is out. Great match by Bencic, did not flinch.

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 29, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fancyclown posted:

Pretty huge upset to me. Halep out to Lucic Baroni. :drat:
And Errani's GOAT net play takes down Venus after breaking at 3-5 down to stay in the 3rd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The next match on Ashe, Ferrer/Tomic, is a walkover for David. Berdych/Klizan got moved there instead, which is a better match for spectators anyway.

Venus/Serena are playing doubles later today, and one of their opponents is named Kalashnikova. :stare:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 29, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Loads of women seeds getting chucked out today.

Bencic beats Kerber :toot:

e: Halep and Bouchard haven't been the same since Wimbledon.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Ben Rothenberg @BenRothenberg posted:

Update from the Radwanska quarter: one of these five women will reach the #USOpen semifinals:
Bencic
Jankovic
Safarova
Cornet
Peng

Sodium Chloride posted:

Loads of women seeds getting chucked out today.

Bencic beats Kerber :toot:

e: Halep and Bouchard haven't been the same since Wimbledon.
Yeah, but going out in 3rd round in straight sets to Lucic-Baroni? Thats pretty unexpected. (did not watch the match though)

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 29, 2014

• Locked thread