Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On average she plays decently I guess, but I hate the fact that she refuses to chase down points that seem clearly saveable. Like, to be great you have to put your body on the line in this game

And now there's a medical time out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Genie's MTO is just from overheating. It's only 84F/29C. The humidity is high at 69% but not crazy high.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Murray breaks back in the third set.

Genie's getting her blood pressure checked?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Murray breaks back in the third set.

Genie's getting her blood pressure checked?
Light headed from heat exhaustion.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I get why Sharapova is popular, even if I personally can't stand her.

But you're right about the slam results. I think it's given people the idea that she's a rising star and that she's going to win majors in the future but I don't really see that happening unless she manages to transform her game / gets very lucky with the draw.

Edit:

Waynebo posted:

reminder that anna kournikova was a thing

Yeah true, for a while anyway. After a few years though, it was almost the opposite with media-types going "lololol Kournikova actually won a match???!?!" whenever she would win.

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 1, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thank god Makarova broke there after going up 40-0 on Genie's serve.

Should be a couple simple holds for the win here.

edit: Misses 2 simple forehands down the line to get broken. :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 1, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Thank god Makarova broke there after going up 40-0 on Genie's serve.

Should be a couple simple holds for the win here.

Or Makarova could slam the ball into the net repeatedly

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Makarova GOATing to break Genie for the win!

And there it is!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Tsonga lost all three sets at the end of the set, just when you were thinking it was going to go to a tie break. Great win for Murray by far his best match this year. Even though Murray got broken early in the second and third sets he broke back fairly quickly.

Thanks Makarova, that's a 100 quid for me.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Makarova :cool:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The crowd is totally icy to Makarova, this tournament I have never heard them not respond to the player thanking them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The crowd is totally icy to Makarova, this tournament I have never heard them not respond to the player thanking them.
Genie is the golden girl, and New Yorkers aren't shy about showing their feelings.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The US has banned all applause towards Russian players as part of their sanctions on Putin.

Anyways as a :canada: it's kind of disappointing to see Eugenie go out but I think the writing was on the wall the way she struggled through some of earlier matches (and has been playing since Wimbledon for that matter). Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me to see Milos go out tonight as well given how he's been playing.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003
I really want to see Krunic win as I can't stand Azarenka. Krunic is off to a shaky start. Poor girl is probably so nervous :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sypher posted:

I really want to see Krunic win as I can't stand Azarenka. Krunic is off to a shaky start. Poor girl is probably so nervous :(

Yeah after seeing her put down Kvitova I was a fan, especially since I love the retriever style of play. Like, if you're not willing to slide into splits to save a point, are you really doing everything you can?

But yeah playing on Ashe against Azarenka must be super intimidating

Edit: Or not, watching her take that set off Azarenka was beautiful, she might actually pull it off

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 2, 2014

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
That point to 30-30. :drat:

Someone better gif Krunic's pelvic thrust

EDIT

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 2, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, considering the women's side has been match after match of baseline rallies until your opponent errors into the net, watching what Krunic is doing is so fun.

Edit: 108 mph ace like it was nothing, love it

Edit 2: Oh man, Krunic needs to fight back from this

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 2, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Come on Krunic! Put out the other shrieker!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well the dream is dead. So close

ssbbud
Jan 2, 2014
A bummer for Krunic...she's a lot of fun to watch. And that pelvic thrust was wonderful.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I still love Krunic's game though. She has more athleticism than most of the women on the tour, and super reactions and quick thinking. If she cleans up her game a little and improves her shot selection I could see her doing great things. Going for those drop shots kind of screwed her a couple of times.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Looks like Raonic and Nishikori is gonna go late :munch:

e: both guys look pretty gassed, but Milos more so I think. Either way I think Stan is gonna handle whichever one of these guys goes through.

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 2, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, this is such a battle of attrition I'm getting exhausted just watching it. It's very watchable though with their radically different styles, Raonic may have that cannon but when he can't get it online he is so slow

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
gently caress Milos..... don't do it :smithicide:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hirez posted:

gently caress Milos..... don't do it :smithicide:

BELIEVE IN THE SLEEVE

These guys are gonna be playing until like 3 am

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
c'mon 5th set

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Geno posted:

c'mon 5th set
This is one of the few occasions I approve of the 5th set tiebreak. 1am is really the latest that tennis should be played, and we're going to approach 3am.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is eerily reminiscent of Raonic's match with Gasquet last year. Same round even.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Milos needs to start running marathons with Wozniacki or something so that he stops looking like a shambling Frankenstein monster in the fifth set. Also develop some kind of return game, maybe.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Man I just had my breakfast and apparently if I'd gotten up a half hour earlier I could've made the end of that match. Weird. I'm glad Nishikori's sort of back after his injury woes this summer, he's fun to watch.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, this is such a battle of attrition I'm getting exhausted just watching it. It's very watchable though with their radically different styles, Raonic may have that cannon but when he can't get it online he is so slow

luke jensen praising milos's speed during this match was the funniest thing i've heard this open

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Krunic Hustles For The Point

I'm just going to leave this here because every moment of it is beautiful. I really hope her US Open run wasn't a fluke because I'd rather this be the future of women's tennis as opposed to whatever Bouchard is

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Wow, Peng ran totally roughshod over Bencic this morning. Apparently this is her 37th major, first time making the semis :3:

Monfils up 2-0 on Dimitrov :munch:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

What is the appeal of Dimitrov?

He is a decent looking guy and has a decent game but how did that manage to garner so much support? I remember way back when he was a teenager and people were hyping him up because his shots had a similar feeling to Federer. I can't help but think that he is just a poor man's Federer.

e: VVV Or maybe it was a brilliant tactical move made to distract Dimitrov!

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 2, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you can't take a set off a guy basically having a psychotic break, you might just be a mediocre player.

Edit: Monfils was literally standing still for an entire point and Dmitrov still gave it up

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 2, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

What is the appeal of Dimitrov?

He is a decent looking guy and has a decent game but how did that manage to garner so much support? I remember way back when he was a teenager and people were hyping him up because his shots had a similar feeling to Federer. I can't help but think that he is just a poor man's Federer.
He modeled his game after Fed, but he's younger/faster/stronger, so people saw it as Fed's game with a modern twist. He uses the same racquet, has the same clothing sponsor (Nike), and even his strokes look similar, especially the serve.

Fed is the most loved player in the game, and he was pushed as a direct successor. He speaks English without a strong accent, he's friendly in demeanor and interviews.

Also, he's dating Sharapova.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 2, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah it's becoming increasingly obvious to me how spoiled we've been by Federer/Nadal/Djokovic (and Murray to a lesser degree I guess). Like I couldn't even guess who will be the first player outside of those guys to be world #1. Dimitrov, Raonic, Nishikori etc. are pretty good but I don't seem them ever being able to put together performances like those guys. Maybe del Potro if he ever gets healthy again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't know, I kind of refuse to believe Fed/Nadal's generation is just "that good". Any time I see older athletes dominate a stamina-based sport for an unusual period of time, I get suspicious. Add in the Spain factor, and, well...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dmitrov did go to the locker room to "change his shoes" when he had an extra pair right there :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Great to see Monfils come through his crazy period to win in straights.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Any time I see older athletes dominate a stamina-based sport for an unusual period of time, I get suspicious. Add in the Spain factor, and, well...

One of the reasons the older players are having success is that the younger guys are making bad decisions at the worst times, like what Dimitrov just did in his match or Robredo against Kyrgois.

If you look at Federer, he is trying to make all the points short because he knows he can't hang around in long rallies.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 2, 2014

• Locked thread