Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Good idea for a thread, I had thought about making a religious books thread myself. I'm not a Bible expert per se but I do study religion so I'll add what I can.

Who Wrote This Thing?
The scholarly answer to this is somewhat complicated. The first five books of the Bible are usually attributed to Moses in the Jewish tradition and most Christian traditions. Starting in the nineteenth century in Germany a mode of looking at the Bible called the historical critical approach developed, which tried to examine the Bible as a text produced in a particular historical circumstances (rather than say, written directly by God). An idea called the Documentary Hypothesis emerged, and is still pretty widely accepted, that the first five books were written by around 4 different authors between around 1000 BCE and 500 BCE.

The New Testament is another can of worms. If I recall correctly the general consensus among religious studies scholars was that Paul's letters were largely authentic. The gospels though are out of sequence and have a lot of changes. Mark is the earliest Gospel probably written between 65-70 CE, John is the latest written around 90-95 CE. Matthew and Luke rely on a shared source that we don't have, which scholars have called Q, which seems to predate either of those Gospels. The names attached to the Gospels was a later addition, so we really have no clear idea of authorship.

Bart Ehrman's work on this is both accesiable and well researched if you want an agnostic, academic take on this stuff.

What version should I be reading?
I'd just mention that the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) is pretty much the academic standard in religious studies. Both Oxford and Harper Collins have good annotated study bible if you have any interest in Biblical scholarship.

I actually have been meaning to read the Book of Mormon at some point soon, so perhaps that can be a thread in the future. It would be good to talk Nephites with other folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

Sometime ago I was thinking about getting the free book out of curiosity (been reading a lot of different religious texts as an academic exercise) http://www.mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon
If I do that will I have solicitors coming to the door and bugging me or do they just ship it out?
Seeing your post and realizing I didn't have one I tried this, they said they were sending missionaries to contact me. Hope I don't have to haggle to long to get my free book. At least this makes me feel less guilty than stealing one from a hotel.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

If I have time later today, I can write up the authorship of the NT books as surveyed by Carrier in On the Historicity of Jesus
I really blame the internet and the Atheist blogging community for making Carrier into a figure that people mistakenly think is reputable. He has never held an academic post, has a PhD in a field that is only marginally related and his strong take on the mythicist position, that Jesus did not really exist, has basically no credibility among scholars of the New Testament. It's kind of amazing he found a publisher willing to take that book, rather than self-publishing like he did with all his other work.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

If you've read it, I'd be interested in a critique.
Not to derail the thread with a debate about Jesus mythicism, but if your earnestly searching for readable work on the subject I will just suggest that you check out Bart Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" It's also worth reading Ehrman's responce to Carrier's rather vitrolic attacks (http://ehrmanblog.org/fuller-reply-to-richard-carrier/). As I said Ehrman is pretty good for giving a popular and accessible interpretation of current mainstream scholarship on religious studies.

Almost every thread we get here now on Christianity gets bogged down with arguments about mythicism. I will profess a kind of visceral annoyance that a community that prides itself on thinking rationally about climate change, vaccinations and 9/11 truth assumes that some casual internet based research lets them understand the New Testament better than scholars who spend decades working with Greek and Aramaic texts. I'll stop before I start ranting on this.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Anyone have any idea how the English Standard Version is as a translation? I noticed that there was a "readers edition" which had verse numbers removed, which is something I really like in a Bible and I was tempted to get it.

Barlow fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 27, 2015

• Locked thread