Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
how you're a lot like them, when it comes right down to it. If you are playing a roleplaying game from japan (a "jrpg") and the villian does not lecture you about this at length, then finish the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

But please game responsibly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

not that many jrpg villains do that actually

some might have a line but it isn't really a 'lecture at length' thing they usually do more lectures about humanity at large or w/e

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayNe9Hoxmb0

it's in the lyrics to armstrong's fight in revengeance

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I'm playing Ys Celceta now and the villian is doing it. Ys is supposed to be a game where I run around and bump into people with careless abandon and no one lectures me :(

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I'm playing Ys Celceta now and the villian is doing it. Ys is supposed to be a game where I run around and bump into people with careless abandon and no one lectures me :(

yeah they started doing this in all the recent ys games ive played, i dont know who gave them idea people wanted more of the Incredible Ys Storyline

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
ys mystified me when i played the steam port and the intro movie kept flashing "WANDERING ISLAND ISU VANISHED" across the screen like i was supposed to know what the gently caress

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Ys 3 makes me chuckle in ways that I have a hard time explaining. It's just so ridiculously balls-out; the music and graphics give the impression that as soon as you press right on the dpad, all hell breaks loose and your man goes in a out-of-control spiraling rage of crazy running and stabbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmJqUC4ZIk&t=807s

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

ys mystified me when i played the steam port and the intro movie kept flashing "WANDERING ISLAND ISU VANISHED" across the screen like i was supposed to know what the gently caress

The best thing about Ys until the recent ones is that you don't have to give even half a poo poo about what's going on, you just talk to a few people in town until they give you a sword, and then you run around bump-slicing everything on the continent until you win.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
jRPG villains go on nihilist rants not "we're not so different you and I" rants, the latter is pure WRPGs

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

jRPG villains go on nihilist rants not "we're not so different you and I" rants, the latter is pure WRPGs

I feel like that's 1990s jrpg villians because I swear every one I've played in recent years has done this poo poo without exception.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I feel like that's 1990s jrpg villians because I swear every one I've played in recent years has done this poo poo without exception.
what ones have you seen in recent years

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
to be fair the only JRPG I've played that was made after like 2003 was FFXII so maybe they've moved on

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Earthbound never needed to suggest that I'm exactly like Pokey. The game was before its time by avoiding to state the obvious.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Has there ever been a game where the villain makes that argument but he does it in a really compelling way that actually makes a bunch of sense?

Then the character actually ends up empathizing with the villain and they join forces and from that point until the end of the game you end up working with the villain and beat up all of your former comrades/smash the state?

I'd take at least 2 shots/play that game if it exists and is done well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crown Face posted:

Has there ever been a game where the villain makes that argument but he does it in a really compelling way that actually makes a bunch of sense?

Then the character actually ends up empathizing with the villain and they join forces and from that point until the end of the game you end up working with the villain and beat up all of your former comrades/smash the state?

there are games where that's an option you can take

like soul nomad and the world eaters where gig is like 'hey the world loving sucks and everyone around you is just lying to you' and you can be like 'ya' and kill everybody and then kill him too

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Guess I'm taking some shots/playing that game then because that sounds pretty rad.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the bit in metal gear rising where the one dude does this to raiden and instead of denying it or getting really choked up he just goes "oh, huh, I guess I am a monster :unsmigghh:" and proceeds to murder the gently caress out of him and all the other bad guys without any guilt is one of my favorite cutscenes in any videogame

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Crown Face posted:

Guess I'm taking some shots/playing that game then because that sounds pretty rad.

even before you get to unlock that option it's a pretty cool game, way more hosed up then the almost anime art implies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crown Face posted:

you have to beat the game to get the evil route option sadly but the main route of soul nomad still has gig calling everyone assholes and you being able to completely agree with him. the plot and characters are pretty standard jrpg (if fairly competent) but gig carries the game by pointing out how stupid/assholish everybody is.

and gameplay is fun and doesn't descend into grinding like most NIS games

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I guess you're right, I just realized I haven't played a recent rpg in forever and am mostly replaying a lot of older stuff on my vita. The game before Ys was parasite eve and it lectured me pretty heavily, and before that was Nier and it pretty much did too but I'm not sure that really applies. Before that I was playing BG2 and assorted wrpgs so maybe I just had a really long streak of hearing this 100 times. In any case, you can't have a bottle every time a jrpg talks about existential nihilism because you would die of alcohol poisoning so I am keeping the rules the same.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 22, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Crown Face posted:

it's not quite the same but in The Witcher 2 you get a choice on whether you actually even really want to fight the final boss or not.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crown Face posted:

I still say Zoltan Kulle is the good guy in diablo 3

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I still say Zoltan Kulle is the good guy in diablo 3

:hfive: this plus leah being hugely ungrateful and skeptical towards cain are the key stories of D3. "Even I took his wisdom for granted." BITCH EVERYBODY BUT YOU IN THE WHOLE WORLD LISTENED TO EVERY SINGLE WORD THAT CAME OUT OF HIS MOUTH LIKE IT WAS GOSPEL. YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE WHO TOOK HIS WISDOM FOR GRANTED.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
blizzard is probably the worst story teller of all AAA game developers

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
in pre-ff7 jrpgs the villains give a generic monologue about they just want to DESTROOYYYYYYYY/RULLLLEEEEEE EVERYTHINGGGGG and how you cant stop them instead of trying to psychoanalyze you or some poo poo

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

dagoth ur was probably the coolest bad guy. his mini bosses brought brandy and we had a nice chat before battling. he even told me to come back and return when I showed up before I was ready. nice chap.

we talked about how it was my destiny to come to him and that we should join forces since we were both betrayed. we had so much in common

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

closeted republican posted:

in pre-ff7 jrpgs the villains give a generic monologue about they just want to DESTROOYYYYYYYY/RULLLLEEEEEE EVERYTHINGGGGG and how you cant stop them instead of trying to psychoanalyze you or some poo poo

My favorite was kefka. He just told everyone that they sounded like a pile of self help booklets and that he was going to create a monument to nonexistence, and to deal with it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
This poo poo right here :picard:

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Was there really ever a better jrpg villain than Kefka

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

Earthbound never needed to suggest that I'm exactly like Pokey. The game was before its time by avoiding to state the obvious.

earthbound was good like that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Crown Face posted:

Der Langrisser. You are the child of light fighting the Empire. Only you can then join the Empire and kill all your friends, or you can change your mind again and join chaos and kill your former enemies-turned-allies, or you can go your own way and smash them all (I guess, I never saw that route). This was on the SNES.

Lots of lecturing either way, though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Benny D posted:

Was there really ever a better jrpg villain than Kefka

literally all of them

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ys III and Ys: The Oath in Felghana are awesome.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

darealkooky posted:

the bit in metal gear rising where the one dude does this to raiden and instead of denying it or getting really choked up he just goes "oh, huh, I guess I am a monster :unsmigghh:" and proceeds to murder the gently caress out of him and all the other bad guys without any guilt is one of my favorite cutscenes in any videogame

IT'S TIME FOR JACK

TO LET 'ER RIP

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 636 days!
Take a shot every-time you see something loving creepy in a jrpg.

This game is good because it kills anyone who plays jrpgs

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
That one bad guy from Suikoden II didn't really lecture you. He just likes killing and burning things and making people act like pigs. Pretty solid bad guy imo.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Take a shot every-time you see something loving creepy in a jrpg.

This game is good because it kills anyone who plays jrpgs

do boob plate and awkward sex scenes count as "loving creepy"? if so we need to remove every wrpg made since like 95

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crown Face posted:

Growlanser 2, where if you meet the secret objective in every mission, the villain is like "god drat you're the best soldier i've ever fuckin' seen, let's team up and overthrow the government"

and then you do, and you can even backstab him in the end and take over his free nation

it's also the only story path where you get to kill the fat rear end in a top hat military instructor from the beginning of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 636 days!

darealkooky posted:

do boob plate and awkward sex scenes count as "loving creepy"? if so we need to remove every wrpg made since like 95

Yes and...yes.

• Locked thread