Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mills
Jun 13, 2003

how do i purchase item for 500 if limit on holding is 300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Mills posted:

how do i purchase item for 500 if limit on holding is 300

Limit is 500. I meant the most you can GIVE is 300. The most an item costs is 500. Let me edit and word it better.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Everyone give me your money. I have a plan and for once it isn't a completely asinine way to boost my ego 1 percent

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

GulagDolls posted:

Everyone give me your money. I have a plan and for once it isn't a completely asinine way to boost my ego 1 percent

Is it an asinine way to boost your ego 2%?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

No and also I love the pink panther.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Do more expensive items have higher odds of being worthwhile? Or is it all completely random?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

King Burgundy posted:

Do more expensive items have higher odds of being worthwhile? Or is it all completely random?

I edited my post above with the info.

Any further questions just PM me (that goes for anybody) regarding that - I'd like to not clutter the thread with my posts.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Opinions RE: money giving

I don't like it. I have a 100% chance of keeping it in town hands if I keep it and a ~65% chance of keeping it in town hands. It seems stupid.

I don't like Ernie at all.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Ernie said I was town. In my experience, he only does this when I'm scum.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll make some cases tomorrow when I have proper internet

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Your Personal Muse posted:

I don't like it. I have a 100% chance of keeping it in town hands if I keep it and a ~65% chance of keeping it in town hands. It seems stupid.

You explicitly do not have a 100% chance of keeping it if you get killed. Unless you don't get killed. Because you're scum.

I actually think this is a scrum slup. How could you not understand the possibility of you being killed? We talked about this a lot. I think I'm already voting you so I'll keep it that way.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Hal Incandenza posted:

Also note that Ernie is playing his classic scum game

I don't know poo poo about Ernie but I think he looks bad because he's trying to generate content day one, that always looks like suspicious. I don't have a good gut read on him but I'm gonna let it ride.

re: My ponzi scheme

For some reason DBD doesn't want us collectively organizing a gamebreaking abuse of a mechanic so I guess forget my plan. If that's the case, don't give your money away though. It's kind of like self-voting. You know(presumably) that you are town. You don't know about anyone else's alignment. Giving away money has a decent chance of hurting you.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Somberbrero posted:

You explicitly do not have a 100% chance of keeping it if you get killed. Unless you don't get killed. Because you're scum.

I actually think this is a scrum slup. How could you not understand the possibility of you being killed? We talked about this a lot. I think I'm already voting you so I'll keep it that way.

What? That's obviously not what he meant. Are you saying scum get the money if they kill someone? because that seems like way more of a slip.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

What? That's obviously not what he meant. Are you saying scum get the money if they kill someone? because that seems like way more of a slip.

I don't think you understand.

Your Personal Muse posted:

If you die, the money just goes away I presume. So... wait maybe I'm just misreading it because what he posted doesn't make any sense. YPM, clarify?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mills posted:

I haven't seen the movie; I just liked the player list.

Therefore Ernie is scum for acting in a way that avoids him having to discuss where his money should go, attention he doesn't want as scum.

+0 interesting point but I'm not 100% sure that's accurate. Ernie was more willing to discuss money than most, who professed boredom and disinterest.

Meinberg posted:

Hey guys, there's a lot of talking going on in this thread, and I will admit that I'm having a bit of trouble following along. Could someone explain why Ernie is such a bad guy?

-1 Point for white-noise and asking someone to do casework Meiny can piggyback off of.

Mills posted:

It's a meta argument for me so my words would probably interest you even less than usual.

Therefore, something unrelated.

Meta arguments are invalid

Meinberg posted:

Lay it on me. I'm going to be ~open-minded~ today.

-1 Again, "do my work for me."

Mills posted:

Ernie and I are best pals, clearly that much is true. We read each other very well. I asked him to give me his $100 so that I could do something objectively town minded with it today, caveated with the request to be judged on my action. Of all people, Ernie is better equipped than most to understand the logic and potential for positive EV. In addition, our close ties should have told him this was my town play as I am against taking risks in general in mafia as they are almost always negative EV plays, particularly so on D1. To avoid all of this and the discussion surrounding it, Ernie sent his funds to nebulous black hole Gulag citing "humour". Ernie is not entirely unhumourous but it's not his behaviour to avoid a discussion and make an irreversible decision not only prior to the discussion about it, but as an exercise to actively avoid the discussion.

Therefore, I like coffee.

-2 This is all poor reasoning. Your premise is, because Ernie should know that you are town because meta(what?), he should give you his money(reducing his own agency), so that you can do something objectively town with it(when we do not even know how the market works yet). This is junk and I feel like you could make similar arguments if Ernie did give you his money. This is why I loathe meta arguments.

Mills, right now you're tied with Meinberg. How does that make you feel?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

What? That's obviously not what he meant. Are you saying money doesn't disappear with its user? because that seems like way more of a slip.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

hi you person who is posting right after me, please tell me why you're not voting hal incandenza and how scummy his next post would have to be for you to change your mind

Ernie I feel like Hal is playing differently from what I've seen before but in a way that I kind of like. I poked at him and he poked back, that's a good sign. I feel like scum coast until near the end of day one, do you disagree?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Mills, right now you're tied with Meinberg. How does that make you feel?

I'm not sure suspecting anyone above a certain threshold of posting is going to work out well.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Ernie I feel like Hal is playing differently from what I've seen before but in a way that I kind of like. I poked at him and he poked back, that's a good sign. I feel like scum coast until near the end of day one, do you disagree?

My history with hal is that you can usually tell his alignment based on the cases he fly-by/drive-by supports. In this game he's supported nothing but the general consensus i.e. he's more interested in appearing invested than he is actually invested.

I don't necessarily have a rule for what scum do on D1 because it depends from game to game, but I'm going to guess that in this game scum are going to coast till the end of D1, yeah. There's not much activity to force them not to.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

I'm not sure suspecting anyone above a certain threshold of posting is going to work out well.

Sorry, I meant in terms of imaginary arbitrary points I was assigning, not in terms of actual posts.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Somberbrero posted:

I don't think you understand.

If you die, the money just goes away I presume. So... wait maybe I'm just misreading it because what he posted doesn't make any sense. YPM, clarify?

YPM is saying that if you're town and you keep your money, you have a 100% chance of it staying with town, as opposed to giving it away where you run the risk of scum getting it. It would be better for the money to vanish entirely than wind up in scum hands

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Sorry, I meant in terms of imaginary arbitrary points I was assigning, not in terms of actual posts.

Oh no, I fully understood that. I just meant that aside from myself and yourself, Mein and Mills are probably the two other posters with a really low noise:signal ratio

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

YPM is saying that if you're town and you keep your money, you have a 100% chance of it staying with town, as opposed to giving it away where you run the risk of scum getting it. It would be better for the money to vanish entirely than wind up in scum hands

You know what would be productive; if we stopped trying to theorize about a market that can easily by manipulated by a scum-team in private and instead scum-hunted and used our votes and stuff

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I mean the market has to be balanced so that:

a) a scum-team freely coordinating donating money amongst each other is still equally as able as a haphazard majority of players each playing towards their own goals

b) the central mechanics of this game (i.e. the flavor-related ones) are still the core of the game and the money market is just a fun side-thing that doesn't actually impede anyone's abilities

if anyone thinks the market is going to sell anything other than 'You are a self-watcher for one night!' or 'This is a get out of jail card! Use it to escape a roleblock once!' you're insane

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

You know what would be productive; if we stopped trying to theorize about a market that can easily by manipulated by a scum-team in private and instead scum-hunted and used our votes and stuff

I've cooled on somber being scum I think. ##unvote

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

Mills is an SA Mafia player who really grates my goat. In addition to that, he has inflicted a horrible poison upon my person. Until he is extinguished, I simply cannot continue to play mafia as I have up until this point. ##vote Mills

Gulag, can you explain this, please? Is this you making a joke about Mills being a poison or about something that actually happened in this game?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

It is incredibly real. He is controlling my actions and thoughts and must be destroyed before he inflicts this disease on yet another. Also, I just learned in my sociology 101 class that racism is wrong.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

It is incredibly real. He is controlling my actions and thoughts and must be destroyed before he inflicts this disease on yet another. Also, I just learned in my sociology 101 class that racism is wrong.

No racism is right

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

You seem awfully anxious to shut down discussion about it, as well as flying headlong into handing out cash when we're still not sure how things work. Almost makes one think you know more than the rest of us

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

No racism is right

Please do not bother signing up for my upcoming game, A Bukkake in Bangladesh

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Ernie. posted:

Gulag, can you explain this, please? Is this you making a joke about Mills being a poison or about something that actually happened in this game?

I think those posts coincided with a big shitfit in the discussion thread so I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

You seem awfully anxious to shut down discussion about it, as well as flying headlong into handing out cash when we're still not sure how things work. Almost makes one think you know more than the rest of us

oh my goddddddd

i managed to read everything before your first comma before my brain exploded with pain

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I think those posts coincided with a big shitfit in the discussion thread so I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

You're standing on my neck.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
is the poison fatal

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

oh my goddddddd

i managed to read everything before your first comma before my brain exploded with pain

I thought you'd be happy, I used my scum hunting. Now I'll use my vote ##vote ernie

GulagDolls posted:

Please do not bother signing up for my upcoming game, A Bukkake in Bangladesh

Hah, that's funny. I'm actually in the middle of a bukkake in Bangladesh as we speak!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

dearest mills, if you have no post restrictions on telling us what you did, please explain why

a) gulag

b) me doing a similar move to you just with money was completely alien to you

c) you're passive about gulag going after you

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

I thought you'd be happy, I used my scum hunting. Now I'll use my vote ##vote ernie

I'm not sure you used anything.................

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Opopanax posted:

opop this is stupid

i apologize for starting market discussion pre market but the game was boring and it was something to talk about

opop this might be scummy because what are you trying to say here? do you actually disagree with him? do you think this market speculation is in any way helpful? it feels like you're piggybacking onto an easy target, there's been a lot of ernie suspicion and you're throwing shade without really putting anything real forward.

also :siren: "awfully [word]":siren: scum buzzphrase

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Kumbamontu posted:

is the poison fatal

i'm sorry kumbo we did everything we could

but we just couldn't save your goulashdog

*sigh* this job never gets any easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

opop this is stupid

I agree with this post

and if i weren't slapped in the face with the banality of the case, i might have even made this post myself in another life

in a way opop created the perfect circle

'i dont know about the market, and therefore i will target the one person who says we should shut the gently caress up about the market because he obviously knows more about the market especially after he just made a very logical post about why we shouldnt give a poo poo about the market and gave all his money away'

• Locked thread