Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Me Play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i am glad someone FINALLY is supporting me on idea that you can live without your torso. i'm off to my garage now

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

FINALLY I AM THE TOTAL OPPOSITE OF RAYMAN

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

DuckHuntDog posted:

Thanks, I am going to be terrible at it!

ah...you got job as professional mafia player!!!!!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. There is currently no deadline set.

Really?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Dexxter Jexxter shook his head in exasperation. They were never going to get anywhere proceeding like this. He decided to get their attention so he could start to move them along the right path.

"Sigh."

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Noticing that no one was taking heed, Dexxter decided to raise his voice a bit.

"ugh."

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Now then, it would be wonderful if we could start playing mafia before we delve further into jokephase. In case some of you have not read it, I will quote my treatise on why jokephase should be abolished, which you can read in its native form over at the SA Mafia Wiki.

quote:

A Catastrophe in Comedyland

Jokephase. We've all been there, We all long to go back. But before we do, let's examine this critically. Is making jokes in a mafia game really such a good thing, or is it, in fact, harmful? As some of you have already noticed, I agree with the latter view. I will now outline three points as to why this is the case.

1. Jokes distract from logical discussion. Have you ever been hot on the heels of a criminal, only for him to drop a banana peel on the ground, which you then slip on due to how funny that would be, you slipping on the banana peel? Probably not. It's simply a metaphor. However, the principle applies to mafia. People will abandon their duty to pursue scum in favor of being 'funny.' It's understandable as to why. Who doesn't love a funny person? That is a rhetorical question which I refuse to answer, but until jokephase is outlawed, scum will continue to get away with this. Which brings me to my next point:

2. Jokes allow scum to hide. This is linked to Point 1, but I thought it deserved its own bullet. Nobody wants to execute someone who is funny. As said above, who doesn't love a funny person? So, potentially, members of the mafia are given leeway while members of the town are picked off for their own lack of charisma.
Not only does this social behaviour allow scum to hide and completely defeat the purpose of mafia (an informed minority vs an uninformed majority,(read more here) not a game of 'who is the coolest',) but it also means that I, personally, am at an automatic disadvantage in every game I am in.

3. It's insensitive. I expect I'll get an earful for this one, but hear me out. Jokephase is just plain cruel. Why, you ask? Because, simply put, some people do not understand jokes.
Taken from http://www.helpguide.org/mental/autism_spectrum.htm:

quote:

Problems with speech and language comprehension are a telltale sign of the autism spectrum disorders. Symptoms may include: Taking what is said too literally, missing humor, irony, and sarcasm.

I understand it's the 'funny' disease to make fun of, but people who suffer from Autism sometimes literally cannot understand jokes, conceive of what a joke is, take part in a joke, make a joke, or recognize the difference between Adam Sandler and the works of Jean-Paul Sartre (:swoon:) Should these people feel exclusion from our games simply because we cannot abandon an outmoded and needless byproduct of an older time, when mafia games were played face to face with actual other human beings?

Probably not!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

Presuming a role that goes through doc protection seems specious at best KB.

Here's why this is a good idea:

If a player dies in the night, whatever money they had is lost is addition to any future funds they would receive. This is bad! I am guessing, having not seen the shop yet, but I feel strongly that money could be a huge edge.

Obviously there is some potential for abuse, but not as much as it might seem! If we all give our funds to one of two players, that allows us to exert a huge amount of pressure over the nightkill. Scum don't want us to get powers so they want to keep that money from recirculating back into the town. However whoever they target might not have much money at all, or they might be doc protected since the doctor has a strong incentive to protect one of those two. It's puts them into a very difficult position where they have to choose between using their kill suboptimally or allowing town to hold onto their cash. Say that a scum does end up holding onto the funds, if they don't give it back that makes a lynch easy. Even if that scum dumps the funds to another player, I think scum would probably get diminishing returns from powers as compared to town. Honestly influencing the nightkill is worth it alone imo.

If there was some way to enforce participation it would be even stronger. Maybe if each banker confirms how many deposits they've received before thread close and then they scramble it by sending cash back and forth between each other?

I agree with this incredibly long sequence of words about an incredibly important issue. I genuinely enjoyed reading all of these words, and at no point did my brain try to escape from my skull while doing so. I love words. I love to rub words all over my body. words. Did anyone ever watch Scooby Doo because I love Scooby Doo.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Meinberg posted:

Sleep? More like surrender!

Anyway, I need a nap.

Missed this post. Napping..? When there's mafia to play?!? For shame, meinerg. ##vote meinberg

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Mills is an SA Mafia player who really grates my goat. In addition to that, he has inflicted a horrible poison upon my person. Until he is extinguished, I simply cannot continue to play mafia as I have up until this point. ##vote Mills

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Everyone give me your money. I have a plan and for once it isn't a completely asinine way to boost my ego 1 percent

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

No and also I love the pink panther.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

It is incredibly real. He is controlling my actions and thoughts and must be destroyed before he inflicts this disease on yet another. Also, I just learned in my sociology 101 class that racism is wrong.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Magnus Gallant posted:

No racism is right

Please do not bother signing up for my upcoming game, A Bukkake in Bangladesh

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

I think those posts coincided with a big shitfit in the discussion thread so I'm pretty sure it's a joke.

You're standing on my neck.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

If Mills is not executed today, a horrible curse will be inflicted upon this thread day 2. I will make you all WISH you had killed him, but, alas, the hands of the clock can only move forward. I am sorry I have to do this, but also not sorry because I am a weird control freak.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

1. Opop is casing Ernie.

2. I like Ernie.

3. I think Opop is scum for not respecting the Big Game Queue

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

wacky

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

fake edit: I have bad taste in music and am a disgusting fraud ##burn 200 dollars

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

:colbert:Mills:colbert:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Hi Gulag, what makes Mills scummy in this game?

i don't need to explain my thoughts or reasoning to you, peasant. all shall be made clear on page 64 of this thread, when i post an indescribably long wall of text detailing all of my plans that are sue to have succeeded by then

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

AAAAGGHGHGH I CAN FINALLY POST AGAIN

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

bowmore posted:

are you buddying up to mills IDK

bowmore did my posting restriction somehow miss mills and hit you

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

taht was not a curse meant for you bowmore. i literally had to stop posting in this thread because i could not stomach the 'imitate eccoraven' pr any longer

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

STOP what you are doing, mills is a bad guy.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mills what is this loving bullshit why does he have your pr

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

do not vote ernie. he is my main source of funds.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

when will ernie learn to not do the thing that clearly identifies him as scum for no reason, over and over

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this is loving bullshit. kill mills for avoiding his curse ##vote mills

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

why the frack are people asking about my ability go frack yhourselves its none of your business

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

does shop depend on voting or something..

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Can you claim it....in ANOTHER thread???

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

we simply can't avoid shop. it's too bad a bunch of people gave their entire allowances to a retarded criminal for no reason

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

kill mills.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mills is the body harvester

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

##buy CURSED MUMMY HAND

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

also, mills is the body harvester.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

mills is the body harvester, that is mentioned in the op of this thread, "[Mafia] The Grand Budapest Hotel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i know because he has given himself away in the mason doc, that we are in. my role is body harvester catcher and thus he must die.

• Locked thread