Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm going to be interested to see how Re:COM plays, because I absolutely loathed COM as I suffered through it in high school. I just really don't like the sleight system. Even Flick Rush was better.

Doesn't help that the perspective of CoM was horrid for shielded enemies like the Defender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started watching this and I'm enjoying the commentary. If I could make a request, could you label the videos a little differently? I mean having the same title for both cut and uncut when going through the videos on YouTube is a little confusing.

EDIT: Oh wait there's a playlist. Nevermind.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Silegna posted:

Doesn't help that the perspective of CoM was horrid for shielded enemies like the Defender.

And Shield Guy: The Boss.

Nearly snapped my GBA over that one.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So the early poll results are looking quite interesting. Remember, the poll (located here) ends tomorrow at 10am central time so I can have a chance to get started recording videos before I have to go back to work on Monday.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Alright, I'm deciding to go ahead and end the poll early because I don't think there will be too many more votes. At the end there was a tie for first between Monstro and Olympus and tie for third between Wonderland and Halloween Town. I flipped a coin for both and Olympus won out for the first world and Halloween Town won out for third. After all of the voting and coin flipping here is how the floor plan for Castle Oblivion's first six floors looks.
  1. Traverse Town
  2. Olympus Coliseum
  3. Monstro
  4. Halloween Town
  5. Wonderland
  6. Agrabah

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

And Shield Guy: The Boss.

Nearly snapped my GBA over that one.

You kidding? I did. My mother was none too pleased.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there everyone, I just thought I would pop in and let everyone know that I have decided to delay the start of Re: Chain of Memories by one week because originally it was going to come out on Thanksgiving week and those of us that are here in the good 'ole U.S. of A. will be most likely be spending some quality time with our families that week and some of us will probably be shopping as well for the holidays. I promise that Re: Chain of Memories will start the first week of December as will my stream of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX. Now, speaking of 2.5 I would like to gauge everyone's opinion on which game you want me to start with for the 2.5 streams. Just post and let me know. Personally, I was considering starting with Birth By Sleep Final Mix HD simply because it has been a long while since I played BBS and I have really been looking forward to that one.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, coming back to this has been nice. As for your current question, I think that Number 2 is better starting part, because birth answers questions in 2, and it loses a bit if you know the answers before the questions.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I'd like to see it as close to the "storyline" as possible, but if playing BBS first means you don't get as burned out as you might by playing KHII first, then by all means go for BBS. Don't push yourself into doing boring things over what you find fun, this should be enjoyable for you.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's only one real way to do this:
Prologue of 2, Terra's Story, First half of 2, Ventus's Story, End of 2, Aqua's Story.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Senerio posted:

There's only one real way to do this:
Prologue of 2, Terra's Story, First half of 2, Ventus's Story, End of 2, Aqua's Story.

I actually like that idea. That would give me a chance to really become familiar with both games again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What would the halfway point of two be?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

New Update Time!

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 041 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD Part 041: Synthesising for the Hades Cup"
Episode 042 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD Part 042: Starting the Home Stretch"

New Episodes (Cut)
Episode 041 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD Part 041: Synthesising for the Hades Cup"
Episode 042 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD Part 042: Starting the Home Stretch"

Episode 41 is the same on both playlists because there are no cutscenes in that episode.

Jiminy's Journal Update

World Chronicles - Olympus Coliseum

I held off on showing this one because there were some spoilers in the journal entry for this world up until this update.

New Characters

Rock Titan
Immortal giant in the form of a stone crag. He has two heads, but can only think with one at a time. Defeated once by Hercules, he's now on the loose again, courtesy of Hades. He shook the scene in "Hercules" (1997). VA: None

Ice Titan
Defeated once by Hercules, he received new powers from Hades and resurfaced. His body is made of large blocks of seemingly impregnable ice. But the ice shaping his face is quite fragile. Naturally, he is weak against fire. He shook the scene in "Hercules" (1997). VA: None

New Heartless

Destroyed Behemoth
A greater Behemoth subspecies. It has extraordinary strength, unparalleled to that of the Behemoth. However, despite its appearance and size, it shares the same weaknesses as the standard archetype. Drops: N/A

Sneak Army
A Heartless similar to but more powerful than the Stealth Sneak. They stay hidden and attack while nimbly darting around. Though even one is hard to handle, a pair can be found participating in the Coliseum tournament. Drops: N/A

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Mraagvpeine posted:

What would the halfway point of two be?

I'd say Dance, Water, Dance! or the stuff right after it.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Senerio posted:

I'd say Dance, Water, Dance! or the stuff right after it.

Hmm, thank you for letting me know that. It will help with the stream.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I started giggling uncontrollably when you called them "wivverns". I've never heard anyone say it like that before and it just completely tickled me.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey, I just thought I would let you guys know of a development that has happened recently. Apparently, my Youtube account must have gotten hacked because I had episode 45 (the bonus gummi ship mission episode) set to private and yet somehow someone flagged it for violating the "Community Guidelines". Now the only way that could have happened to the best of my knowledge is if someone hacked my account and flagged it to troll me. I have appealed the decision but I doubt it will be taken care of by Friday and I doubt even more highly that it will come back in my favor. Therefore, I have to unfortunately say that episode 45 will be delayed until I can get this sorted out. Hopefully, this won't affect Re:CoM but I don't know at this point. F***ing Youtube!:argh:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Did you use some sort of copyrighted music or content in that video?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I started giggling uncontrollably when you called them "wivverns". I've never heard anyone say it like that before and it just completely tickled me.

Ahem: 'Y-Burn'.

Thankyou.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Ahem: 'Y-Burn'.

Thankyou.

Always made me think of Why Bird from the kids TV show Playdays.

UK people will know what I mean, probably.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I've always just pronounced it "Verne"

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did you use some sort of copyrighted music or content in that video?

No I didn't.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Always made me think of Why Bird from the kids TV show Playdays.

UK people will know what I mean, probably.

Hi-5, 80s Britchild!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, I can see how that cutscene would be a reward in itself, but I like the bonus too.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Alright, just thought I would drop by and let you guys know that the new episodes are up on each of their playlists. I am really tired though because I am actually typing this at 6:15am central time and I have to be at work at 4pm. I haven't actually gone to sleep yet, so what I'm trying to say is that the actual new journal stuff/thread update will be up late tonight after I get home from work or early Saturday morning. I'm sorry about this, but I just got caught up in recording new episodes for Re: Chain of Memories because for some reason I'm liking that game more than Kingdom Hearts Final Mix. Anyways, I apologize for the delay and I will have the new thread stuff up ASAP.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding about Japanese Donald. Goofy is also quite terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEmywujZZBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA3V5OEA4NU Spoils KHII if you are fluent in Japanese I guess? I just know it's not a KHI scene.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
So! Now that we're done with the game (and have gotten every last magic upgrade and summon, drat that took a while), it's time for an overview post about magic and summons. I hope by the end of this post you have more of an appreciation for the multitude of options available for breaking the game over your knee!

Mechanics

Magic is governed by MP. The larger Sora's MP, the more magic he can cast, and the more powerful it becomes. Because of this, if you plan on using magic often in the game, you want to try and increase magic as much as possible, including picking the Rod/Staff at the very beginning of game. Magic will automatically make you aim at/center the spell on whoever you are currently locked on, which even counts for enemies off the top of the screen where you can't look at them. This can be especially useful against, say, Wyverns.

Spells

There are seven spells that you get throughout the game, each one getting two upgrades.

Fire/Fira/Firaga

The first spell that you get in the game, Fire is your most basic ranged attack. It costs 1 'charge' of an MP bar; that is, it doesn't take a full segment, but rather takes from the orange bar that shows how close you are to getting another. This means that you can just spam it in the game easily. In fact, the animation even allows for this, flowing from one cast to another without making you start the animation for casting the spell all over again.

It is a single homing fireball, getting larger and more powerful as you get into its higher-level forms, and generally flies fairly fast and a generous distance away. It's not fancy, but it can be very potent if you use it properly, being the most damaging of the basic spells.

Blizzard/Blizzara/Blizzaga

This is the second spell you'll ordinarily get. It is the opposite of Fire; while Fire is a long-ranged single-target spell, Blizzard is a short-ranged shotgun that sprays in a cone in front of Sora. Like Fire, it only takes one charge of MP rather than a segment, allowing you to cast it more than most spells. As you get its upgrades, it spreads out larger, and each shard will expand to cover an area, allowing for massive amounts of damage in front of you. Blizzaga is a screen-clearer, provided that there's enough enemies in front of you for the shards to hit things and expand.

Thunder/Thundara/Thundaga

This spell is the last of the offensive basic spells. Unlike Fire and Blizzard, Thunder uses up 1 MP instead of a charge, and it also doesn't require a target. When cast untargeted, it centers a field of lightning bolts around you. When targeted, it instead centers the field on that enemy. The lightning bolts become stronger, and the field larger, with each upgrade to the spell. This leads to a lot of people using it in the endgame to clear out the entire field, and while it's good for that, I personally think Blizzaga is better generally. However, Thunder can hit enemies around obstacles, and the loss in damage isn't all that noticeable.

Cure/Cura/Curaga

The most important spell. Seriously. Even people who don't use any other magic unless forced will use this. Cure is a single-target spell that costs 1 MP and does exactly what you think it does; it restores HP to a target. Each level increases the amount of HP that it cures, to the point where Curaga is essentially a full-heal. The one downside to this is that there is a short period of time where you need to stand still and cast it, and you can get interrupted during this spell. Final Mix solved that by adding in Leaf Bracer, allowing the spell to continue even if Sora gets hit during it.

Gravity/Gravira/Graviga

Our first advanced spell! Gravity is tied with Stop for being the most underrated spell in the game. Gravity does percentage-based damage of an enemy's current health. It costs 1 MP, and each spell upgrade increases the area of effect it has so it can hit more enemies, as well as increasing the base percentage of the spell. The more MP you have, the higher the percentage is pushed, to the point where Graviga can fairly easily do over 100% damage, instantly killing any regular enemy that doesn't have significant resistance to Gravity. It's amazing and even before you get it to that point, opening up with Gravity on an enemy is great.

It also brings aerial enemies directly down to the ground, making them much easier to hit.

Stop/Stopra/Stopga

The other really underrated spell in the game, Stop freezes enemies around you in their tracks. It costs 2 MP, and each spell upgrade increases the area of effect. Now, Stop is great because of multiple reasons, but the main one is that when an enemy is stopped, they are extremely easy to hit. The way Stop works is that while they're frozen, every hit you deal to them will instead hit them in sequence after the spell wears off. (I've talked to some people who think Stop prevents them from taking damage; this is untrue.)

There is a great combo of Gravity and Stop. Since Stop freezes their HP in place, two casts of Gravity, even at its lowest possible power, will kill any regular enemy. This costs 4 MP to do, but if you run into an enemy you just really hate, you can do that. (You can also just do a combo on them and finish up by casting Gravity.)

Aero/Aerora/Aeroga

The second-most important spell in the game. Aero is a 2 MP spell that creates a barrier of wind around the target. While the first level of this spell only reduces the damage you take, Aerora and Aeroga actively add new effects to the spell as it levels up. Aerora will damage enemies that touch it, and Aeroga will reflect projectile attacks back at the enemies. I don't believe you get Tech Points, but it's still hilarious to chump projectile-based enemies with this.

Don't use this against the Ice Titan, though. The icicles will become as large as Sora and become unblockable. They'll just go right through Guard and Aeroga and really hurt.

Summons

There are six summons that you get throughout the game. Two of these are required for you to get by story, while the rest are obtained by bringing summon gems to the Fairy Godmother in Merlin's house. Now, the amount of time they stay out is based on two things: Sora's max MP, and how many copies of the Cheer ability are on your party. Cheer can be gotten on all three party members, and the way it works is it adds an extra max MP to the summon.

Except for one, summons replace both of your party members, leaving Sora alone with the summon.

Unfortunately, the summon animations are too large to really make good gifs of to be able to attach to this post, so please look them up on Youtube. They're pretty good.

Simba

The first summon you'll generally get, Simba is a 2 MP summon. The way he works is that he has a charge meter next to his MP gauge. The more MP he has, the more he can be charged up, and when you release it, he roars, attacking everything in front of him (so basically everything on the screen). Various levels of charge do more damage as well as gaining additional effects, such as stunning/dazing enemies and leaving them vulnerable, but his maximum charge means that his Proud Roar will instantly kill every regular enemy, doing 300% of their current health.

Genie

Genie is an odd summon. He's mostly useful if you actually aren't using magic in your run, which also means he won't last very long, putting him in a weird position of sort-of-useful-but-not-really. What he does is that for a chunk of his MP bar, you can use his move Showtime, which casts random base-level spells at every enemy around. The randomness of the spells means that he can actually heal certain enemies or use things that are useless, and he can't even be used to cast spells you don't have as he'll only cast ones Sora already knows. And of course, he costs 2 MP. Generally I don't use him much.

Bambi

Bambi is a 1 MP summon that is perhaps one of the best summons for a magic-user in KH1. His basic thing is just that he jumps around dropping MP bubbles everywhere, so you won't run out of any MP the entire time he's out. The higher your max MP, the larger the bubbles! He also has a charge gauge that fills up as you kill enemies, and every time it fills up, items drop. These are based on each the world that you've summoned Bambi on, and is an easy way to gain specific synthesis items. I'm not going to list every item that can drop here, though, because it's a long annoying list. Look it up yourself if you need to.

Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell is a WONDERFUL summon. Even for 3 MP, she's a bargain. Unlike every other summon, she doesn't replace Donald and Goofy. She also has no time limit! She just floats around, healing Sora and his party small amounts. The amount she heals each person is based on your max MP. Now, since she doesn't have a time limit, she can't just be around forever. Well, Tinker Bell leaves when Sora dies, but before she goes, she bring Sora back to life and fully heals him. Tinker Bell is easily the best thing you can do with your magic in the game for boss fights.

Dumbo

Dumbo is also a 3 MP summon, like Tinker Bell, and it's easy to see why. Though you can't do a lot of damage with him (your attack is replaced with Splash, a water attack that does mediocre damage in a short range in front of you, and you can't cast spells), you can fly around on him and be entirely invincible. Let me repeat that: You cannot take damage while Dumbo is summoned. Using him is essentially free damage on whatever enemies are around.

Mushu

Mushu is probably the least useful of the 3 MP summons. His Fire Breath has a delay in starting up and stopping, and replaces your regular attack. However, it's also a machine-gun of fire attacks that can rack up a lot of damage in a row, and you can hold the button down for continuous use. It is incredibly homing, and I've seen it nearly turn around to hit an enemy sometimes. It's more useful for random enemies than bosses, admittedly, and you have better options for that with a few high-level spell casts by the time you can get Mushu.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, you handle the bonus bosses well, as well as the final one. Good job.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

:stare: I had no idea you could knock Sephiroth out of that drat animation. I used so many elixirs.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Alright, here is that updated info I promised you this morning. Better late than never I suppose.

New Episodes (Uncut)
Episode 043 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD: The Four"
Episode 044 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD: The End of This Journey"

New Episodes (Cut)
Episode 043 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD: The Four"
Episode 044 - "Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD: The End of This Journey"

Alright, before I move onto the Jiminy's Journal section I just thought I would let you know something about episode 44 for the playlist without commentary over the cutscenes. You will probably notice that commentary starts up again about 30 seconds or so before the end of the final cutscene that leads into Kairi on Destiny Islands while it rebuilds itself with Simple and Clean playing in the background. The reason I had to do that was because of the Content ID bot. Just thought I would let you guys know why I did that.

Jiminy's Journal Update

New Characters

Sephiroth
Once known as the greatest of swordsmen, his whereabouts have been unknown for some time. He challenged Sora to a one-on-one due. No one knows why he has returned. Apparently, he and Cloud have crossed paths before. Origination: Final Fantasy VII. VA: Lance Bass (Kingdom Hearts); George Newbern (Everything Else)

Unknown
A mysterious figure who appeared in Hollow Bastion. VA: Paul St. Peter

New Heartless

Phantom
Ghostlike Heartless that haunted the clock tower standing far away from Neverland. Fluttering its eerie cloak, it cast a spell to take Sora's heart. Having no physical body, regular attacks were useless, but in the end Sora and company discovered its weakness and prevailed. Drops: The First Level of the Stop Spell You Don't Have (100% Chance)

Kurt Zisa
Heartless that emerged from the Keyhole opened by the princesses. It swung its six powerful arms to attack Sora and company and block their attacks. But Sora sought out its weakness and emerged the victor. Drops: Zantesuken Ability (100% Chance); Ansem's Report 11 (100% Chance)

Ansem's Reports

Report 01

Report 02

Report 03

Report 04

Report 05

Report 06

Report 07

Report 08

Report 09

Report 10

Report 11

Report 12

Report 13

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there, this post is just a little a small update that I didn't want to include with the main one because there is already so much information on there already. I just wanted to let you guys know that I will archiving all of the journal updates and everything now and linking to the archive in opening post. I am basically just preparing for the next game which again will have its first episode go live on the Monday after Thanksgiving. It will just clear up the first two posts for me to use and make things just a great deal easier for me.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

You know...For a Nomura game, there was a shocking lack of belts.
Also, to Deep Dive: I don't think the Term "Endless" was ever used again.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
"Sin Harvest?" I always thought it was "Descend, Heartless Angel". You know, cos the attack was called Heartless Angel in FF7.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

There has always been some discussion as to what exactly Sephiroth was saying for that attack. I believe it was Descend Heartless Angel as well.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Hey there everyone, I have some really bad news. Due to Youtube thinking episode 45 was against the Community Guidelines I am now unable to upload any videos for six months. This means that the LP will be put on hold for that time and hopefully be back after such time has passed. I will in the meantime stream the rest of the series if the thread wants me to, however I'm not sure if my co-commentators will be up for it. I'm really sorry about all of this. It sucks that Youtube has a f***ing monopoly on the video hosting industry but what can you do. If I ever find the mother-f***er who flagged my video and caused me to lose my video uploading ability I will rip his head off and poo poo down his neck.

So thanks for watching I suppose this is the end for now.....

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Appeal that poo poo man.
And you can curse on this forum.

Laruzia
Sep 29, 2014
Once again, it is good to see Youtube doing its job correctly. Making money and not giving a poo poo.
Either way, here's hoping that you can quickly solve this mess and get back to LPing, because this has been awesome ride and we do not want to see some assholes ruin it for rest of us.
And as said above. Appeal that poo poo man. Appeal the poo poo out of it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, like everyone has told you-- appeal. It's youtube being a terrible monopoly.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Is Dailymotion an option or is that place poo poo?

• Locked thread