Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Season 3 Starts August 22 at 9pm EST

In Nome, Alaska, miners risk their lives diving below the ice on the frozen Bering Sea for a fortune in gold. In the season premiere, one miner nearly loses his life, while another hits his biggest payday ever.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/bering-sea-gold

Season 5 Starts in October

Video preview: http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/gold-rush/videos/season-five-sneak-peek.htm

Parker goes big.
Todd goes home?
And a new group too.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/gold-rush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I told myself I wasn't going to watch this season, but it looks like Tony Beets is getting a dedicated segment/crew so sign me up.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
holy poo poo this train wreck is still alive?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Welp. He's dead.

Also, Emily has decided she wants to build a dragon. Who wants to bet it fails when they get it in the water?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New strategy: ignore this show until the season is over, and just watch the re-cap review episode.

Once you take the "on this episode", "on the next episode", "coming up after the commercial", "what happened before the commercial", and the same single gently caress-up of the episode repeated 10 times throughout, each episode is really only about 6 minutes long, and they can pack it all into 1 watchable episode.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Why are there no Dakota Boys in this preview clip.

Oh good they're not in it and it's some total dogshit that's going to make the show less watchable http://tvruckus.com/2014/08/14/gold-rush-star-fred-hurt-not-happy-with-discovery-channel-following-his-departure/

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 23, 2014

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Tony Beets building a Viking ship, sign me up. I'll gladly trade the Hoffman's for the Dodge's too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Oh yeah... take the guy with serious alcohol problems to the bar to celebrate his ban on drinking.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
There are some pretty unlikeable people on this show. Between the arrogant guy, the smug guy and the father ripping off his sons it hard not to root against them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Father ripping off his sons is by far the worst.

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009
Vernon is in the lead with over 100 ounces? Am I on crazy pills here?

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

CaptainQuirk posted:

Vernon is in the lead with over 100 ounces? Am I on crazy pills here?

He lucked out earlier with one diver who knew what he was doing .... so he fired him a bit later.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ahhh... the best part of ice season. When the dredgers stay out on melting ice way longer than is safe.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Zero One posted:

Ahhh... the best part of ice season. When the dredgers stay out on melting ice way longer than is safe.

What a surprise Glen didn't listen and his dredge floated away.

Ooh, looks like we get a full dose of Tony Beets for next Gold Rush season.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Still glued to these shows as if it were season 1 all over again.

I don't know what it is, but I'm not burning out like I normally do. Probably just the endless amounts of stupid overload.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Philthy posted:

Probably just the endless amounts of stupid overload.

Like Vern's crew staying out too late in the ice and his lead diver dumping his pickup truck in the ocean?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Totally forgot that Gold Rush was back until I saw it on my DVR. I'm already sick of Todd one episode in. They were giving Tony the bad guy edit for a while there, but I see his point, why give his better ground to a 20 year old with one year of Klondike experience. I'm really interested in the dredge, although I guess my question is, for $1,000,000 why not just make your own instead of moving an ancient one?

Good to see Dave part of a competent team. Was a bit of a flash back to the Dakota boys who had a similar problem with their rocker. Hopefully the preview for next week is accurate and he does tell Todd to stick it and stays with the Dodge's.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The 2 hour premier aired last night and it looks like a good season!

Parker is angry because Tony will only let him work the land he had last season. Parker somehow had it in his head that Tony was going to give him even better land this year if he did well last year. However, if we go back to last season they had just opened up a new rich spot towards the end that they were saving for this season. So... Yeah. Contradiction? Parker hauled in 70 ounces in 3 days, and was pissed he wouldn't be able to make 2000 ounces in 120 days. Apparently Parker doesn't know math.

Tony bought a viking ship. He doesn't care what it takes to get it moved and rebuilt, but he's going to do it. He spit out some crazy rear end numbers that one of those things could make, and you kind of have to scratch your head why other larger companies that do this professionally haven't been using those dredge ships today. I don't care though, I want to see him chew people out and make poo poo happen.

Dave Turin went to go work for that other dude who left Hoffman a season ago. Last year they showed that guy got piles of gold in a short 5 minute update of what Todd COULD have done, but turned it down to go gently caress off in South America and lose his rear end. Turin has already started to pull in gold.

Hoffmans. They're taking over a claim that has already been predug and prepped for running dirt, and has a poo poo ton of equipment on it. It's only missing a gold catcher, which Hoffman already has. Lets see if he doesn't manage to gently caress up a pile of gold handed to him on a plate somehow. Maybe he'll break all the equipment.

Dakota Boys. They kind of hit the end of their run.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Yes, Todd. Taking a terrible deal on ground that made the last miners bankrupt is a great idea, so why not give him an extra 100 ounces no matter how much gold you get out? I'm sure your crew of you, and your elderly morphine-addict Father, will definitely strike it rich. :thumbsup:

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Oben posted:

Yes, Todd. Taking a terrible deal on ground that made the last miners bankrupt is a great idea, so why not give him an extra 100 ounces no matter how much gold you get out? I'm sure your crew of you, and your elderly morphine-addict Father, will definitely strike it rich. :thumbsup:

I don't think it's an extra 100 ounces, I think it's a minimum. So if Todd gets less than 500 ounces that guy is still getting 100. If Todd gets more than 500 (which I don't see happening) then it's just the straight 20%.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Philthy posted:

Dakota Boys. They kind of hit the end of their run.
To hear Fred tell it on twitter a while back, the producers were giving them the short end of the funding stick for their most recent season compared to worthless hoffman, so that's what happened there. It's a massive detriment to the show that they've been written out.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

really awesome to see the ice dam work out for dave without any real problems, if that was the hoffman's it would have taken 3 episodes and two lost excavators "WE'RE GONNA CLEAR THIS FRIKIN' GROUND AND BUILD AN ICE DAM DAD"

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
I'm disappointed that the Dakota boys aren't around anymore. I thought they were the best part of the last couple seasons, and wanted to see more of Cahoon Creek. Oh well.

As far as the new season goes, I think Tony Beets is the main thing I'd keep watching for. He's an rear end in a top hat and a nut, but he's also awesome and knows what he's talking about most of the time, so it works out. Moving that dredge should be interesting to watch. Dave's new operation should be alright, as he's always been a pretty level headed guy, and now he's hooked up with a couple of dudes who know what they're doing. So at least on paper, it looks like there will be a crew that can consistently pull in gold (but then again, reality tv, so who knows, we'll probably get 4 straight episodes of a broken water pump.) I'm pretty meh about Parker, although he should be able to get gold too. He's just sort of aggravating to watch when he starts throwing his little tantrums (like when Tony told him no to better land, or when Tony shut the wash plant down because Parker couldn't follow the rules of the contract.) I like his segments more when his grandpa, dad, or brother are involved. And then Todd. Yuck. It was actually nice in a schadenfreude kind of way to see his whole crew turn him down when he came to them with no plan and no land. However, I'm pretty sure he'll convince Thurber to come back sometime this season, and they'll to make some stupid reveal out of it. Also that deal Todd made. Jesus christ.

This show sucks. I don't know why I keep watching it. :negative:

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
This is my favorite show. I don't know why. I guess it is because I will never be man enough to do any of these things and even if there is a slight fakiness to it they take a lot of risks and Todd failing is always funny.

Watching Tony Beets segments are probably my favorite of the premier but I Really like seeing Freddy Dodge actually kicking rear end again. That guy knows whats up! Parker is still a whiny nut job and it is dumb he has a cry over getting 76 ounces in 3 days.

I really question where Todd will end up this season. I don't know if it is going to be one of those things where just truck after truck shows up one day and all the old dudes step out of the trucks and he is like "I knew you guys would give me another chance" and then they all go back being destitute from him wasting half a year of their life dicking around. The south america stuff was really bad so at least he is back in the klondike.

I'm excited to see what Bering Sea gold has for us this season. I honestly can't get enough of these two shows. I watched all of under the ice and it is hilarious. Now that Scott is gone they have some pretty good characters who aren't just sacks of poo poo like the Kelly boys are pretty entertaining and Vern is actually not loving up for a change. Can't wait to see how this season fares. I am sad that jungle gold, bamazon and the other slew of gold rush shows disappeared after half a season. Hell even game of stones was good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I have a feeling Todd is going to make a pile of money with that claim. The other guys went broke prepping the land and by the season end they lost their rear end, just like Todd has been doing every time they start a new claim. The claim is already prepped, they just need to move the dirt and catch the gold, which they have that super expensive trommel for. I think they'll be the "comeback kid" storyline.

I hope I'm wrong, but to me it looked like they were handed a pile of gold with all the hard work done.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Kinda getting annoyed at the set up situations on the show. They just 'happened' to have a camera exactly set up where Parker's truck slid off the road, pointing right at it as it impacts?

I did love how much Todd got shut down early on, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mortanis posted:

Kinda getting annoyed at the set up situations on the show. They just 'happened' to have a camera exactly set up where Parker's truck slid off the road, pointing right at it as it impacts?

It's even worse with shows like ice road truckers where they drive around cranking the trailer brake to slide the trailer around because it looks good on camera when they are seriously loving the road up for guys who make their living on it.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Saw the first episode. Plentiful hoffamn schadenfreude, and tweets being part of first-run episodes is unintentionally great because you get to be reminded there are actually people so wretched they respect, admire and look up to Todd, ahahahaha.

The drama they were trying to edit up between Parker and Tony was patently ridiculous, and it ended up making him look like a pissy little bitch who wouldn't stop saying "2000 ounces". I guess the script supervisor forgot to remind him that they had an entire episode last season where the washplant blew out countless gold nugs because of black sand clogs and the one solution was desperately needed hydraulic riffles. Running the same dirt from the same claim. Seems legit to be angry about that guys

Mortanis posted:

Yeah I was laughing my rear end off at the incidental XTREME WIPEOUT CAM™

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
That was an interesting first episode of the season. Parker already beat the Hoffmann's entire last season is pretty funny to me. And I'm thrilled to see grandpa is still around, I would watch if this show was just Parker and his family in the Big Nugget Mine like in the end of last season.

I was wondering if they get paid anything from being on TV, does anyone know anything about this and maybe the magnitude of what they get paid? I always think about this whenever they talk about how poor they are and their poor starving families in Oregon.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Zteuer posted:

That was an interesting first episode of the season. Parker already beat the Hoffmann's entire last season is pretty funny to me. And I'm thrilled to see grandpa is still around, I would watch if this show was just Parker and his family in the Big Nugget Mine like in the end of last season.

I was wondering if they get paid anything from being on TV, does anyone know anything about this and maybe the magnitude of what they get paid? I always think about this whenever they talk about how poor they are and their poor starving families in Oregon.
they almost certainly get paid/subsidized by the producers, and it's literally the only reason the hoffmans have been on TV playing at mining past S1 because they don't make money (except old slumlord Jack) and need extensive handholding.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 20, 2014

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

TheRationalRedditor posted:

they almost certainly get paid/subsidized by the producers, and it's literally the only reason the hoffmans have been on TV playing at mining past S1 because they don't make money (except old slumlord Jack) and need extensive handholding.

That and the equipment manufacturers giving the free / marked down machines so the cameras can linger on their logo.

Brannigans Love
Sep 19, 2008

Zteuer posted:

They most definitely get paid by discovery. One of my family members was involved with a discovery show that never got greenlit due to not being able to resolve contract issues. When they were negotiating the major players in the show were being offered around 100k a season for 5 years. Keep in mind that was a contract for no namers, Todd might be a failure but early on in the shows run they got some good ratings. I would bet the Hoffmans were able to work out a pretty nice contract.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Tony's plan seems like a big mistake.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
The only good thing I got from Gold Rush Dirt was Tony's explanation as to why no one runs the dredges anymore. I just figured it was because they were less efficient and outdated, but he seemed to believe it was the drop of gold prices and they just stopped using them since the profit margin was gone.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Bankok posted:

The only good thing I got from Gold Rush Dirt was Tony's explanation as to why no one runs the dredges anymore. I just figured it was because they were less efficient and outdated, but he seemed to believe it was the drop of gold prices and they just stopped using them since the profit margin was gone.

What did he say? I must have missed it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Liked this episode, but Parker is such a cock. I like how his answer to all his gently caress ups is to yell at other people that they can go somewhere else. Also him wearing Beats headphones in one shot, then the next shot he's wearing their comm headset, then its back to Beats again. Miners will be lining down the street for those.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Do real miners watch and enjoy these shows?

Yomofo
Jun 7, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I have a friend that does engineering for a company that does surface mining. A few years ago he went to a trade show in Vegas for mining equipment and I guess the Hoffmans were there. They were basically asking for poo poo for free cause one of the companies from season 1 had their profit shoot up something crazy like over 100%

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

Winkie01 posted:

What did he say? I must have missed it.

Basically it was they ran dredgers 75-100 years ago, then gold prices dropped so they sat there unused. Then gold prices picked up again and they were used heavily again til the 80's when gold went down again and then they were pretty much abandoned.

Yomofo posted:

I have a friend that does engineering for a company that does surface mining. A few years ago he went to a trade show in Vegas for mining equipment and I guess the Hoffmans were there. They were basically asking for poo poo for free cause one of the companies from season 1 had their profit shoot up something crazy like over 100%

Was most likely Todd's favorite brand of beef jerky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
With the giant dredge. So Tony got gold mining rights to a RIVER? Does Canada just not give a gently caress about ripping up the ground anywhere? Or is the Klondike such a poo poo hole nobody cares?

• Locked thread