Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm 142 turns in and I still can't declare war, is that something the Roving Clans can't do?? WTF

Yep! That is indeed something they can't do.

Anyway I picked this up yesterday and I've been having okay fun with it but maybe someone can answer a few questions I have.

When placing a city I should obviously look for decent yield tiles, but does building a district on a tile take away its yield? Also I had the dead guys on my border at one time and after I pacified a region they immediately made it part of their territory the next turn, which annoyed me because I had a settler going there and I thought they only had the one city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I AM BRAWW posted:

I'm 142 turns in and I still can't declare war, is that something the Roving Clans can't do?? WTF

Yes. You're there just to make mad dosh.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Their Peace and Prosperity trait means they can't declare war. Better start pissing off your target in the hope they declare war.

Incidentally, this makes Roving Clans fantastic neighbors.

Demiurge4 posted:

When placing a city I should obviously look for decent yield tiles, but does building a district on a tile take away its yield?

A district takes away 1 food from a tile's output.

Speaking of districts, how do you upgrade them? I've got a quest to upgrade a city or district to level 2, but no clue how to do it.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Sep 21, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

Speaking of districts, how do you upgrade them? I've got a quest to upgrade a city or district to level 2, but no clue how to do it.

Cities upgrade just through food production. I'm not 100% but I think districts are the same.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What's -40 (thumbsup) from City Tile mean?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SlyFrog posted:

Is the AI in this dumb as a box of rocks? Preferably only responses from people with multiple games played in addition to past 4x experience.

Yes sadly, they get HUGE bonuses to production and the such per typical 4x standards but they still don't know how to handle their armies in the slightest in either composition or tactics. They do not really try to win or stop anyone else from trying to win like say one dude is 1 territory away from winning the AI will still pull it's troops out of the defenses there to go attack you.

Mokinokaro posted:

Cities upgrade just through food production. I'm not 100% but I think districts are the same.

Each city bourough gives -10 happiness on a city, you can avert this by leveling them up you level them up by putting 3 other districts on adjacent tiles. It's to discourage snaking and to make you group up your districts more.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

I AM BRAWW posted:

That's your approval rating.

e: they don't like you

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

I AM BRAWW posted:

I think that's the level 1 district penalty? You need to group your districts so they touch 4 other districts, then you start getting positive happiness from them. Triangles or 2-width rectangles seem to be most efficient.

Edit: Here's the guide that explained this to me, cos the game really does not explain districts and it confused the hell out of me: http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?28694-Building-Big-Efficient-Cities-Borough-Streets-amp-Leveling-Districts

Also if you just want to mess around with districts to see how they work, play necrophage cos they get to build double the districts on each city.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 21, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
From the few games that I've tried with them, they mostly get to suck poo poo and die.

It's both the food penalty and them having no ranged units. Ranged units are an insane advantage right now.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Megazver posted:

From the few games that I've tried with them, they mostly get to suck poo poo and die.

It's both the food penalty and them having no ranged units. Ranged units are an insane advantage right now.

The parasite support guy has a range attack, though you don't bring him along for damage.

Speaking of the food penalty, I decided to look at customising them to see what I'd have to lose to get rid of it and learned they are 85/80 customisation points. A few other races however go as low as 43/80 (Ardent Mages) while others break 100 (especially the Vaulters, at 115/80). So if you want to play Ardent Mages/Broken Lords/Wild Walkers just make a custom version with all their stuff and more!

Edit: Anyone know how Cultists work? They seem very buggy - I've converted several minor cities and they aren't providing any vision, when I go in range they have my icon above them and I can see the garrison unit, but as soon as I move an army away, they go back into the fog of war and I can't interact with them in anyway until I get vision again. Other converted villages seem just fine.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 21, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Theswarms posted:

I think that's the level 1 district penalty? You need to group your districts so they touch 4 other districts, then you start getting positive happiness from them. Triangles or 2-width rectangles seem to be most efficient.

Edit: Here's the guide that explained this to me, cos the game really does not explain districts and it confused the hell out of me: http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?28694-Building-Big-Efficient-Cities-Borough-Streets-amp-Leveling-Districts

Also if you just want to mess around with districts to see how they work, play necrophage cos they get to build double the districts on each city.

If you read into that guide you'll find out it doesn't work any more since they limited districts to level 2 maximum (or 3 if you're the cultists)

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Theswarms posted:

Edit: Anyone know how Cultists work? They seem very buggy - I've converted several minor cities and they aren't providing any vision, when I go in range they have my icon above them and I can see the garrison unit, but as soon as I move an army away, they go back into the fog of war and I can't interact with them in anyway until I get vision again. Other converted villages seem just fine.

According to the official forums, that's a known bug at the moment. I can confirm that saving/reloading seems to fix it, but I don't know for how long. Hopefully it gets ironed out soon, the Cultists are neat as hell.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Iowa posted:

According to the official forums, that's a known bug at the moment. I can confirm that saving/reloading seems to fix it, but I don't know for how long. Hopefully it gets ironed out soon, the Cultists are neat as hell.

I'm part way through my first game as them and I don't think they work. The Cultists ability seems to be designed around taking over villages in foreign territory, but if you do that the region owners just attack it and take it back. If you take neutral territory, other factions just colonise it, then take your villages and there's no penalty for them doing this. So the only way it seems to work is constant war (or master the diplomacy system, but that's never been interesting in any 4x ever and their only twist seems to be tieing diplomacy to a resource). If I'm just going to invade everyone to take their stuff why not play any other faction?

They could be made more interesting by making converted villages count as assimilated and less busy work by letting converting one village get every village in the region, but they need someway to stop people colonising their village regions and some way to stop people from just taking their foreign villages. You also end up with very little vision over quite large areas that you are attempting to hold from every other bastard.

Maybe I'm just playing them wrong?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
The cultists probably need a bunch of unique technologies (rather than just a handful), things like turning all villages into watchtowers or (!) some kind of global militia ability.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there any way to see what the seed of a randomly generated map is?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Got the game this weekend and played a bunch. It's pretty neat so far. I finished two games, one as Broken Lords and one as Cultists.

What does fortification points actually do? I think they give bouns hitpoints to garrisoned units if you assault it before it drops to zero, but I am not too sure.

I am not really sure if The Cultists is suppose to be taking over foreign villages. It is an option, yes, however, it costs a lot to convert foreign village but only a fraction for netural pacified village. I think the entire mechanic for converting foreign village is to piss netural player/AI off or get a quick reinforcement in foreign land.

In the Cultists game I played, I barely produce any units after the 50th turn because I just get this massive stream of free units from all the converted villages. In fact, I had so many troops I launched a two prongs attack (I think there were around 24 units in 4 armies) on the Broken Lords faction that had twice my score and annihilated him in less than 15 turns.

I didn't try, but I think you can also just sell the free units on the market for a boost to your economy. Anyways, my one game with them was pretty fun...

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I picked this up on Friday and lost the majority of my weekend to it. The game is a lot of fun, I love the whole look of it and the setting is exactly the sort of thing that I love. The Vaulters especially have a cool aesthetic and background.

The AI is pretty disappointing though, I guess the best way to enjoy the game is to get some multiplayer going. Would people be interested in trying to get something on the go?

The one thing that does disappoint me, is everyone seeming to use crossbow + shield and the lack of weapon variety in general. When I started playing Wildwalkers something just wasn't right until it clicked that the starting hero and all his troops where crossbow + shield users, and you have to create a new unit type to get them with bows. It was just strange after seeing them with bows in all the art work.

It feels like they wanted more weapon types in the game or something, but had to reduce them before the game came out.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Cultists are meant to become the bees. If someone comes and kicks a hive, all the other hives respond. In my first game as them, some vaulters came up and kicked over every village in a region, then put their own town in it. Cue 40 minor units bearing down on the vaulters until they died like 10 turns later.

Yes, other factions will destroy your stuff, that's why Cultists need a lot of breathing space around their home region. If anybody gets into that space, they are endangering your unit production. Kill them.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Phrosphor posted:

The one thing that does disappoint me, is everyone seeming to use crossbow + shield and the lack of weapon variety in general. When I started playing Wildwalkers something just wasn't right until it clicked that the starting hero and all his troops where crossbow + shield users, and you have to create a new unit type to get them with bows. It was just strange after seeing them with bows in all the art work.

It feels like they wanted more weapon types in the game or something, but had to reduce them before the game came out.

There are already a lot of different weapon types in the game though. The weapon types are shared by the different factions so I guess everyone does end up using the same weapons. There are 1/2H-swords, 2H-spears, 1/2H-hammers, crossbow, bow, staff, quarter staff, wand. Not sure if there are any axes...and that's pretty much it, but that's not a terrible variety unless you want to get really specific or go for exotic fantasy weaponry.

Hopefully they'll add more stuff to it like they did for Endless Space.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

pedro0930 posted:

There are already a lot of different weapon types in the game though. The weapon types are shared by the different factions so I guess everyone does end up using the same weapons. There are 1/2H-swords, 2H-spears, 1/2H-hammers, crossbow, bow, staff, quarter staff, wand. Not sure if there are any axes...and that's pretty much it, but that's not a terrible variety unless you want to get really specific or go for exotic fantasy weaponry.

Vaulters have the Dawn Officer who specifically use axes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The AI is just awful at combat to the point where no matter what victory you are going for the best strategy is to just go kill the enemy cities as they can't defend themselves properly at all

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
So, how is the stability of multiplayer? Did they manage to avoid creating a constantly desyncing game this time around?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

pedro0930 posted:

I guess my problem came from playing a short game with Vaulters and Delvers as my minor faction, then switching
to the Wildshapers with the crystal guys as my minor. Both factions have the same starting weapons and so do those minor races!

Edit: And then I encountered the two-headed wolf people who use crossbows, and then the orcs who also use crossbows.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Doesn't help that 90% of the unique weapon drops are shields/1h crossbows.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So uh, the game wont let me save. At all. Neither cloud nor HHD. Its still autosaving just fine but overwriting my current "end of session" save isn't working. Help? :ohdear: Googling "Endless Legend Save Issues" isn't helping and i cant seem to force the Endless Legend folder in my documents out of Read-Only, but again, autosave works fine so its not that?

E: Reading their forums, mac's have issues, but im on Win7 so its not that either.

E2: Closing and reopening fixed it. :iiam:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 22, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Phrosphor posted:

I guess my problem came from playing a short game with Vaulters and Delvers as my minor faction, then switching
to the Wildshapers with the crystal guys as my minor. Both factions have the same starting weapons and so do those minor races!

Edit: And then I encountered the two-headed wolf people who use crossbows, and then the orcs who also use crossbows.

Just keep playing them. The melee/cavalry sucks poo poo at the moment.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Arumba did a quick LP of this on Youtube and while he's normally a good CK2 player he was doing so poorly on reading comprehension that I said "gently caress it, I can probably do this better myself" and bought the game. Plus it looks absolutely incredible.

These guys look oddly familiar, though...

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Have there been any comments on the AI by the devs? The constant mention of that is what's keeping me from checking it out.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I bought this game when it was super duper early release and a bunch of features didn't exist. Now that I see this thread I am now excited to try it again several months later.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Just had my first win/finished game as Roving Clan with a Score/Time limit win.

The non-stop winters near the ending were pretty brutal, and I was trying real hard to scrounge up points however I could. But hell, money (and spice) is power so even though I barely had an army (besides 4 guys in each city + militia) nearing the end every other faction feared me. I could pretty much use my shitton of supplies to get whatever I wanted, while market banning other factions. My diplomacy game was pretty on point too and I got peace with everyone except the Necrophages early on.

Score/Time win is really the most boring way to end it I'm guessing, so I'm looking forward to trying out a faction that can actual go on a conquest.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You can conquer as Roving Clans. Get the Privateers tech (age 2, top of the tech circle) and hire some mercenaries. You can then have them attack places for you without declaring war, raze cities, then colonise the empty region left behind.

One of the story quest parts for the Roving Clans pretty much required me to do this.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Gort posted:

You can conquer as Roving Clans. Get the Privateers tech (age 2, top of the tech circle) and hire some mercenaries. You can then have them attack places for you without declaring war, raze cities, then colonise the empty region left behind.

One of the story quest parts for the Roving Clans pretty much required me to do this.

Ahh well, now I know I guess.

GenVec
Mar 17, 2010
Ugh the city defence in this game is seriously terrible. A tiny damage debuff is all that the walls of my massive capital can provide? I can't imagine that in multiplayer anyone ever bothers to lay siege and risk the arrival of reinforcements rather than attack right away.

I mean, a wall, a tower, a chokepoint... anything would be better than this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really love a lot of the features of this game and generally I am having a great time with it. However I guess I treat this like a Paradox title sometimes, where I like to just have fun building up my cities and turning off a lot of the timed victories. :ohdear: I really love the Vaulters and the tech system requires a lot of hard choices. And I am going to echo that on the lower difficulty settings the ai is a bit passive/weird. I do wish Dawn Officers could use swords too...then I'd never have to use those derpy Titans.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

GenVec posted:

Ugh the city defence in this game is seriously terrible. A tiny damage debuff is all that the walls of my massive capital can provide? I can't imagine that in multiplayer anyone ever bothers to lay siege and risk the arrival of reinforcements rather than attack right away.

I mean, a wall, a tower, a chokepoint... anything would be better than this.

I don't understand militia at all, they are useless after say turn 20 I've had them level up before but they revert back to level 1 again, the best tactic is just send out squads of like 2 of your quickest units to just backcap every city.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
This is way deeper than AoW 3, at least in my opinion. I always liked the FIDS system/UI from Endless space, and they've taken the best parts of that to this game. I also really like the neutral factions. It's prettier too.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Is it just me or do certain graphical elements and terrain features make the map too noisy and somewhat painful to look at? I can't really put my finger on it but it just doesn't seem to have the same ability to provide an easy picture of whats happening on the map screen at any given moment like games such as AOW3 or Civ 5 do. Maybe its all the excessive cliffs and shadows and dark patches everywhere thats breaking down clarity, I know turning on the hexes improves it somewhat but not really to the point where it no longer bothers me.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

93tu posted:

Is it just me or do certain graphical elements and terrain features make the map too noisy and somewhat painful to look at? I can't really put my finger on it but it just doesn't seem to have the same ability to provide an easy picture of whats happening on the map screen at any given moment like games such as AOW3 or Civ 5 do. Maybe its all the excessive cliffs and shadows and dark patches everywhere thats breaking down clarity, I know turning on the hexes improves it somewhat but not really to the point where it no longer bothers me.

I agree with you completely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone figured out what the Ardent Mages' gimmick/playstyle is supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Omelette du Fromage posted:

I agree with you completely.

The only gripe I have with the map is that when you zoom out it doesn't show anomaly tiles.

With regards to fortification, I think the tiles on the combat map doesn't do much, but your unit actually get a pretty big hitpoint boost if the enemy assaults a city with fortification. In a battle I was fighting eariler, I was surprised that every enemy unit was running around with a huge grey buffer health in the 300-400 range, and that was pretty early game when my units were all doing less than 100 damage per hit.

With some investments in fortification, you can probably get away wtih having smaller garrison if your main army was defeated or otherwise unavailable and still holdout for a few more turns. But you do need to invest in defense and garrison, and who wants to do that when you want to keep up in FIDS techs and improvements?

That said, the first milita upgrade and fort upgrades are both extremely cheap at 75 industry points, so if there's a pending invasion or something you can always drop some dust or spend a turn to get some extra defense without slowing you down too much.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 23, 2014

• Locked thread