Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010

Tiramisu posted:

Uh are you sure it's not 50 per turn for 5 turns? They usually tell you the per turn requirement and not the total for the number of turns.

This is very possible !!

I'll get back to you on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I checked the official forums and found a useful post explaining the battle mechanics:
http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/showthread.php?37546-An-explanation-of-the-new-combat-system

Basically
-When attack = defense you have an equal chance to crit, do normal damage, do half damage, and do no damage.
-When the attack value is double of defense you have 20% chance to crit and 80% chance to do normal damage.
-Unit with high ground gets a 30% attack bonus, in winter the bonus is increase to 60% for some reason.
-Unit in forest receives 30% defense bonus.
-For each point of morale unit gain 15% attack and defense. You gain morale for each friendly unit nearby (not sure the range, but I guess 1 hex). Unit in friendly city or district tile receives 3 morale (So I guess even if you sally during a sieging you can still get some bonus as long as you sit on the city tiles).

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 26, 2014

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
So I've been having a good time so far, but I find myself running into a bit of a tech barrier. It seems like it is totally not worth it to go back on the tech tree and fill out the stuff you missed, because everything so expensive. I got around this finally by heavily prioritizing science, which had the side benefit of keeping me ahead militarily, but I'm interested to hear if anyone else encountered this. Production too, although to a lesser extent. I just finished the main quest and got access to the wonder, which will take me a whopping 600 turns to build.

Also, someone earlier in the thread described this as a less deep AoW3, and I couldn't disagree more. I feel like EL has a whole set of economic buildings and systems that are totally lacking in AoW3, not to mention more diverse factions. As for the AI, it is lacking in military strength, but if you crank up the world difficulty you'll have more than enough to deal with from the neutral factions.

Also the game is really, really pretty, and I am shallow, so that matters to me.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

MoreLikeTen posted:

Also, someone earlier in the thread described this as a less deep AoW3, and I couldn't disagree more. I feel like EL has a whole set of economic buildings and systems that are totally lacking in AoW3, not to mention more diverse factions. As for the AI, it is lacking in military strength, but if you crank up the world difficulty you'll have more than enough to deal with from the neutral factions.

I think that EL has more depth to the city and empire management but way less combat depth than AoW. While each EL faction may be more individually differentiated it does lack the total variety of AoWs race + class combos.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I just think AoW3 is ugly :P

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tulip posted:

Did more MP earlier tonight. Much, much less crash prone than before patch. Still some problems - notably desyncing. The "resync" function completely does not work, and when desyncs happen they tend to be...not obvious. Like units not obeying orders for a few turns and recieving weird ghost orders (i'm usually host, it's another player who consistently complains so i really don't know what it looks like). Overall though, we spent much, much less time fighting the network than before.

Actually fairly happy with the way that combat works for PvP. It's automated enough that you don't spend a billion hours on micro, but there's enough slack for some maneuvering. Realistically though the skill cap is somewhat low - reversals tend to come from huge blunders much more than from clever maneuvers.

Balance...could use some work. I'm not holding a lot of hope - Civ5 has had a huge amount of time and resources poured into it, and has completely dominated the 4x genre, while having an even more dramatically degenerate ranged deathball problem. My 'gut' reaction is to just reduce the damage that archers do, make them more supporting units than omnikillers. I think, however, this wouldn't really deal with a deeper issue that not all factions actually have enough tools.

e: Like flyers just kind of broadly kick the asses of all non-flyers other than archers. So if you don't have archers there's really not a lot you can do about flyers. It feels like there was an attempt at R-P-S but then flyers got added and ???.

lol

Archers should definitely be more support focused, but the combat could also do with zones of control so cavalry can't just walk straight past your front line and hit units in the back to compensate. Flyers would be the exception to this I suppose.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

Archers should definitely be more support focused, but the combat could also do with zones of control so cavalry can't just walk straight past your front line and hit units in the back to compensate. Flyers would be the exception to this I suppose.

The extreme difficulty of blocking units in combat is kind of annoying. I units can walk right over everything other than lakes/oceans and cliffs. They can even walk right over city walls!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I just think AoW3 is ugly :P

Unfortunately this is true. Still, I think a little ugliness is an acceptable price to pay for a 4x game with reasonable combat balance (archers are useful but not overpowered) and an AI that actually knows what it's doing.

No if there was a game with AoW3's mechancis and Endless Legends art production, hooooo boy.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
You know, I think that this is a really excellent game with poor AI. People who are on the fence, just wait to hear from players (not patch announcements!) that the AI is fixed, then buy unreservedly. I don't think any 4x fan would regret that.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Unfortunately this is true. Still, I think a little ugliness is an acceptable price to pay for a 4x game with reasonable combat balance (archers are useful but not overpowered) and an AI that actually knows what it's doing.

No if there was a game with AoW3's mechancis and Endless Legends art production, hooooo boy.

EL really does have superior economic/civ-building mechanics, even in comparison to the ever-popular CiV with its expansions; if EL gets expansions, it will easily be the most advancedadvanced/innovative riteration of this kind of 4X in circulation, save for its combat (which, again, can always be improved itself in expansions/balance patchepatches).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game has a really annoyingly high learning curve compared to Civ V. It may be more sophisticated but it also has a lot more moving parts to it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The thing that kills me is picking which tech to get. It seems like you want most of them, at least in the early trees. The increasing costs really push you into taking techs from your current era rather than filling out the previous one.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Speedball posted:

This game has a really annoyingly high learning curve compared to Civ V. It may be more sophisticated but it also has a lot more moving parts to it.

Some people like that kind of thing, if DF, DW, et al are anything to go by. I do agree, though, that it could really use more documentation/better tutorialisation; I didn't learn until a few hours in that I needed to use Ctrl to completely control my units in a battle, for instance.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

The Moon Monster posted:

The thing that kills me is picking which tech to get. It seems like you want most of them, at least in the early trees. The increasing costs really push you into taking techs from your current era rather than filling out the previous one.

After a few games, I've decided that you really need, in no particular order, Basic diplomacy, glassteel/titanium, glassteel/titanium weapons, basic luxuries, basic science, basic production, basic food, one of the basic dust, and the basic happiness, all from the first tree. From there, you need to focus on dust or science buildings. Glasssteel and titanium weapons will carry you until you get dust weapons, which are pretty good and free with level 3.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm still trying to work out how to run my early cities. Do I want to balloon the population with tons of food, or stick everyone in industry to get those early buildings out, or mix it up?

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Gort posted:

I'm still trying to work out how to run my early cities. Do I want to balloon the population with tons of food, or stick everyone in industry to get those early buildings out, or mix it up?

If you're the Cult you need to consider early influence, too.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

MoreLikeTen posted:

After a few games, I've decided that you really need, in no particular order, Basic diplomacy, glassteel/titanium, glassteel/titanium weapons, basic luxuries, basic science, basic production, basic food, one of the basic dust, and the basic happiness, all from the first tree. From there, you need to focus on dust or science buildings. Glasssteel and titanium weapons will carry you until you get dust weapons, which are pretty good and free with level 3.

I've found skipping the T1 glassteel/titanium weapons/armour techs and just grabbing the T2 to be quite effective, but I've not yet faced an AI that attacks me early enough for this to bite me in the arse. Empire quests often seem to award T3 Glassteel/Titanium as a T2 tech.

Opening techs is almost always the seed storage and the mill because food and production are really really good. The hero market option is pretty incredible but I tend to grab it as my 9th T1 tech as heroes cost a lot of money (but you are are definitely going to want them).

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

MoreLikeTen posted:

So I've been having a good time so far, but I find myself running into a bit of a tech barrier. It seems like it is totally not worth it to go back on the tech tree and fill out the stuff you missed, because everything so expensive. I got around this finally by heavily prioritizing science, which had the side benefit of keeping me ahead militarily, but I'm interested to hear if anyone else encountered this. Production too, although to a lesser extent. I just finished the main quest and got access to the wonder, which will take me a whopping 600 turns to build.

Backtrack by using dust and influence to trade. But i think this is a bit of a conceptual failure - it's not so much about getting 'as much tech as possible' as it is about choosing what techs your empire will have. Once you're resigned to never having some tech you can get much better strategies. Old techs are pretty much just as expensive as new techs, so unless they're pretty much just as good there's not a lot of point.

Demiurge4 posted:

I've been getting tripped up by this. I saw that the units are infantry-cavalry-archers-flyers-support, and kind of assumed that cavalry was like heavy cavalry and flyers were like light cavalry - one for breaking through lines, the other for flanking. But really flyers tend to have anti-infantry and AOE attacks (so many claws), which is really for taking out organized lines and punishing organized infantry+support phalanxes. Meanwhile archers have the only real anti-flying weapon, so spreadout skirmish lines is how you fight flyers. Meanwhile infantry have the strong anti-cav weapons, and cav are more likely to have archer counters.

What might help is giving shields the anti-ranged bonus on top of "block," though i gotta say, block has saved my bacon a lot. That and maybe a blanket drop in archery power (combined with an increase in the anti-flyer bonus to keep that equilibrium?) so that archers aren't countering infantry so effectively might add a little more depth to it. Or giving anti archer powers to support?

What's still tripping me up is infantry with claws, particularly slow ones like Titans and Tenei. They get mulched by infantry with swords, they really have no ability to stop cavalry or flyers, and they're too slow to do a drat thing about archers. What the hell are they supposed to do?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

Bremen posted:

I can't speak for others, but the AI seems to be out for my blood every time I play. Even the ostensibly peaceful factions.

Is the AI just mindlessly overpowered with kill human mentality or is it actually literally challenging?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I picked this up yesterday so I'm still learning it, but is there anything I can do to punish the cult faction stealing my minor faction towns without straight up declaring war?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Broken Cog posted:

I picked this up yesterday so I'm still learning it, but is there anything I can do to punish the cult faction stealing my minor faction towns without straight up declaring war?

If you just want to stop them, use the 'close borders' diplo action. Note that they might wardec you for doing that. If you want to punish them, go around wiping out villages, though honestly i think that you suffer more for that.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

If you're in cold war, I believe you can kill their preachers if they enter your territory.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

If in cold war you can kill their units and attack converted minor towns in yours or neutral territory and sometimes allied territory. Closing your borders to them kicks their forces out unless they outright declare war.
The main trouble with attacking converted villages is that they are destroyed by this, so if you peacefully pacified them or rebuilt them you will now have to rebuild them.

Has anyone played a multi-cultist game? Can a converted village be converted by someone else or do they have to destroy and then convert it? I'm thinking a 'everyone is a cultist' game could be cool.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
You can convert other cultists' village.

The +vision item now also grant extra defense against range attack (40% for a T3 iron one, so it's fairly cheap). Tried it out and seems decently effective, I got quite a few 0 damage and half damage rolls against mass range army.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Dvlos posted:

Is the AI just mindlessly overpowered with kill human mentality or is it actually literally challenging?

Most games at higher difficulties seem to boil down to 1 AI running rampant killing all the others until theres 1 super AI , 1 AI nearly dead and you, the nearly dead AI then proceeds to try to kill you while the super AI runs him down.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

Most games at higher difficulties seem to boil down to 1 AI running rampant killing all the others until theres 1 super AI , 1 AI nearly dead and you, the nearly dead AI then proceeds to try to kill you while the super AI runs him down.

Yep, I usually find the Wild Walker to be the super AI, probably because their mechanic is pretty simple and strong (get tons of free industry, churn out whatever is needed) as oppose to say, the dragon race or cultists.

Also, AI seems to love rumble (the orge thing). Every time I have an AI that assimilate rumble, they just spam it non-stop the whole game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

pedro0930 posted:

Yep, I usually find the Wild Walker to be the super AI, probably because their mechanic is pretty simple and strong (get tons of free industry, churn out whatever is needed) as oppose to say, the dragon race or cultists.

Also, AI seems to love rumble (the orge thing). Every time I have an AI that assimilate rumble, they just spam it non-stop the whole game.

Does the AI ever use the market? I'm wrapping up a Cultist game and I need to hit the market for some strategic resources and it doesn't look like anyone has ever used it.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Wow, I'm gutted to hear about the AI problems. I'm still looking for the next Fall From Heaven and passed up both the Warlocks due to reported poor AI. Back to waiting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Does the AI ever use the market? I'm wrapping up a Cultist game and I need to hit the market for some strategic resources and it doesn't look like anyone has ever used it.

Yeah it definitely does. In my roving clan game there's a decent list of AI transactions. It mostly seems to buy resources and the odd hero.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
It amazes me that the same team that spent years fixing the desyncing mess that was Endless Space multiplayer could go out and make a direct sequel that does the exact same thing. With any luck, they'll patch out the desyncs in a year or two and this game will actually be playable (most of the time) with friends.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Chocobo posted:

It amazes me that the same team that spent years fixing the desyncing mess that was Endless Space multiplayer could go out and make a direct sequel that does the exact same thing. With any luck, they'll patch out the desyncs in a year or two and this game will actually be playable (most of the time) with friends.

It's not that bad, really. I am getting some desync issue every MP game, but usually only after 100+ turns or so. And it's pretty quick to fix, too. Just hit resync, which brings everyone back to the lobby, restart game, and the game continues.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So is EL worth picking up at all? I'm kind of looking for a game to scratch the itch until the new Civ comes out. I played and enjoyed ES a bit but it left me wanting more out of the universe that they'd built.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

So is EL worth picking up at all? I'm kind of looking for a game to scratch the itch until the new Civ comes out. I played and enjoyed ES a bit but it left me wanting more out of the universe that they'd built.

Frankly, I'd wait a month or so for them to finish patching it.

DentedLamp
Aug 2, 2012

Dvlos posted:

They'll also attempt to exterminate one another with prejudice, if the geography allows. I saw an AM ai destroy a Cultists ai by the 30th turn; neither of them had a second city because they were putting everything into their combat unit production.

It's somewhat true that you are more likely to run into problems with ai, however, as they respond very negatively towards certain human behaviours like the player blocking off expanses of land via putting cities on chokes and/or you becoming too powerful (which is kind of how a player would respond, so eh).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've been playing as the Broken Lords, and I've found them really fun to play, but it seems like they're even worse off than the other factions if you don't get a good starting position.
Also, their victory is set as "Conquest", but that particular victory condition isn't in the options. Does it just mean Supremacy/Elimination?

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MoreLikeTen posted:

Also the game is really, really pretty, and I am shallow, so that matters to me.

Years of playing CiV have taught me to always heavily prioritize science no matter what, and grabbing the science techs first in each era tends to make grabbing things from back-eras pretty painless. It doesn't really matter what era you're grabbing from anyways, they all count to advance you to the next era. As for the wonder victory: Wow, 600 turns is an impressively long time. I don't know what situation led to it being that high for you. There's a bunch of things you absolutely should be doing to shorten it no matter how long it'd take, though. In a rough order of importance, I'd say:
1: Build it in your highest production city of course
2: Always have the Titan Bones luxury active, it gives +50% to production on empire
3: Have the empire plan active that gives -33% building production cost
4: Have a Windwalker hero with max rank in the faction ability that gives -X% building cost
5: Constantly feed industry stockpiles to the city building the wonder

I've won wonder victory in two of my games now, and doing those steps has made the wonder be no more than 25 turns each time. I lucked out in that my first victory was Roving Clans which requires you to get a Windwalker Hero anyways, otherwise I probably would've never picked up on that one.

Broken Cog posted:

I've been playing as the Broken Lords, and I've found them really fun to play, but it seems like they're even worse off than the other factions if you don't get a good starting position.
Also, their victory is set as "Conquest", but that particular victory condition isn't in the options. Does it just mean Supremacy/Elimination?
Broken Lords are indeed a lot of fun, probably my favorite faction so far. Getting a start without a good river near it does feel like a huge disadvantage though, I'd agree. And I wouldn't worry at all over their "preferred" victory or whatever the game says, you can win any victory with any race pretty easily (excluding things like diplomatic with Necrophage, of course.)

Coeurl Marx fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 29, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I have to say, I am enjoying late-game city sprawl. At this point, half of my provinces are more city than not. :v:

More seriously, is the world supposed to be trapped in perpetual winter for the last hundred turns or so? Because this poo poo is obnoxious.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

How PC heavy is this game on min settings? My computer can run some games flawlessly but is murdered by Civ V faster than I can get into strategic view.

Edit: I can run Dark Souls 2 with minimal issues, as a point of reference.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 29, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Been following this game for a while - got it in Early Access and enjoyed the development phase (althpigh I screamed during the period where Minor Factions were horrible stompmonsters). I love the game's semi-scifi Game-of-Thrones-intro aesthetic, and the fact that the factions all play so differently from one another. Deleting other cities from existance as the Cultists feels so good. The lack of documentation is pretty frustrating - there's basically nowhere that tells you what "Morale" is, and too many people on Youtube seem to have no idea how Districts and the Diplomacy techs work. Also some of the faction units are all over the place. Some do cool things, others could be replaced by a Minor Faction unit and see no difference, which is a shame.

Jade Mage posted:

How PC heavy is this game on min settings? My computer can run some games flawlessly but is murdered by Civ V faster than I can get into strategic view.

Edit: I can run Dark Souls 2 with minimal issues, as a point of reference.

If you can run Dark Souls 2 then you probably won't have a problem with this. The Endless games are very pretty without being terribly taxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
My Pc hasn't been upgraded since the Bush Administration and it runs EL fine.

• Locked thread