Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Problem description: Newly built computer will turn on, but reset after about 10-15 seconds. It's my first time building a pc.

Attempted fixes: Consulted the manual, re-connect various cords.

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: N/a, hasn't been installed yet.

System specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte S1150 ATX GA-H97-HD3
Cpu: Intel i3 4150 dual core
Ram: Kingmax DDR3 2x4 gig 1600 mhz
Vid ard: ASUS 2 gig GTX750Ti
power: 650 watt Cougar RS 650
HD - 1 tb Seagate
HD2 - 120 gig Kingston SSD
Case: Corsair ATX Carbide 400R
DVD player - Samsung 24x Sata DVD writer

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Edit: No beeps coming from sound when headphones are in. When I am listening to regular startup noise the comp makes, it does sound to what you'd expect a pc to sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That's a really lovely power supply, and you are lucky your system draws nowhere near 650W. Above 600W, the thing literally explodes. Just a bit, but still - actual factual exploding. You wouldn't happen to be able to return parts still, would you?

Does this happen even if you put in an OS CD and attempt to boot to it? Could it just be that rebooting is what the system does if there's no OS?

If you try to boot to an OS install disc and it still reboots, or it reboots before you get that option, or it reboots even when you try to enter BIOS setup - then it's time to start taking out parts.

Unplug everything from the system, leaving only the motherboard, the CPU and its cooler and fan, one stick of memory, the monitor connected to integrated graphics, and the two motherboard power cables. Bridge the two power button pins with the tip of a screwdriver for a moment (or just use the power button). See if it boots then and see what it does. If you still get problems, try the other stick of RAM and/or another slot for it. Otherwise, start plugging things back in one by one, starting with the keyboard, and see when problems start occurring.

If you plug everything back in and it fails to stop working, congrats - you probably didn't have something seated correctly, and taking it out and plugging it in again fixed that.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

Got it working now :). Seems to be an issue with one of the RAM sticks (wasn't firmly in the socket).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Glad you got it working, you should definitely replace that power supply before it destroys your computer, though.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

While the discussion is still open, why is the psu so bad? Has there been instances of cougar hardware failing pretty badly?

Edit: May have another problem atm. Nothing too serious, but will be troublesome if I don't get it sorted now. Don't want to make another thread, so I'll just share it here.

Problem description: Have one SSD installed, one HDD installed. Only the one which is in SATA slot 1 shows.

Attempted fixes: Switching the SSD and HDD to slot 1 and 2.

Recent changes:Not much, though I think I installed windows 8.1 on both drives. I initially started with the HDD in slot 1, and the SSD didn't show. Tried switching them around, but had to re-install W8.1 when the HDD wasn't showing.

Also, the CD player is in SATA slot 0. I'd prefer to get them all working at the same time so I don't have to open the case often.

Hardware: As listed prior.

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 26, 2014

Titor
Aug 26, 2014
Poor quality power supplies can cause issues such as system instability and even hardware damage. Your specific PSU is known to actually explode if you manage to pull over 600w from it.

I strongly suggest you replace your power supply with a higher quality one that's more suitable for your system. I wouldn't be surprised if your current one destroys your computer whenever it dies.

Titor fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 26, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

While the discussion is still open, why is the psu so bad? Has there been instances of cougar hardware failing pretty badly?

Edit: May have another problem atm. Nothing too serious, but will be troublesome if I don't get it sorted now. Don't want to make another thread, so I'll just share it here.

Problem description: Have one SSD installed, one HDD installed. Only the one which is in SATA slot 1 shows.

Attempted fixes: Switching the SSD and HDD to slot 1 and 2.

Recent changes:Not much, though I think I installed windows 8.1 on both drives. I initially started with the HDD in slot 1, and the SSD didn't show. Tried switching them around, but had to re-install W8.1 when the HDD wasn't showing.

Also, the CD player is in SATA slot 0. I'd prefer to get them all working at the same time so I don't have to open the case often.

Hardware: As listed prior.

First thing I'd try is disconnecting the CD drive and placing the SSD into SATA 0 so that you're working off of two known working ports (SATA 0 and SATA 1). If that doesn't resolve the issue, my next suspicion is something in your BIOS settings, particularly as you said that both drives will work by themselves in the SATA 1 port. Hit DEL when the BIOS logo shows during startup to load the BIOS menu. You may have to hit F2 once the BIOS menu appears to change from a simplified startup version of the BIOS interface to one with the standard BIOS layout and settings. From there you'll want to look for a BIOS or Storage Features tab, specifically boot order. Check there to see if both your drives are displayed as bootable as an easy way to see if BIOS is detecting both drives. You'll probably also want to check for a Peripherals tab and set the SATA Configuration option there to AHCI, and make sure the ports you are trying to use are set to Enabled.

Basing my BIOS directions off this manual from the manufacturer.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

Titor posted:

Poor quality power supplies can cause issues such as system instability and even hardware damage. Your specific PSU is known to actually explode if you manage to pull over 600w from it.

I strongly suggest you replace your power supply with a higher quality one that's more suitable for your system. I wouldn't be surprised if your current one destroys your computer whenever it dies.
While I agree with you, that was the lamest "explosion" I have ever seen in my life. :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

CAPTAIN KILL

Mo_Steel posted:

First thing I'd try is disconnecting the CD drive and placing the SSD into SATA 0 so that you're working off of two known working ports (SATA 0 and SATA 1). If that doesn't resolve the issue, my next suspicion is something in your BIOS settings, particularly as you said that both drives will work by themselves in the SATA 1 port. Hit DEL when the BIOS logo shows during startup to load the BIOS menu. You may have to hit F2 once the BIOS menu appears to change from a simplified startup version of the BIOS interface to one with the standard BIOS layout and settings. From there you'll want to look for a BIOS or Storage Features tab, specifically boot order. Check there to see if both your drives are displayed as bootable as an easy way to see if BIOS is detecting both drives. You'll probably also want to check for a Peripherals tab and set the SATA Configuration option there to AHCI, and make sure the ports you are trying to use are set to Enabled.

Basing my BIOS directions off this manual from the manufacturer.

Cheers, got it working :).

• Locked thread