Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Problem description: My laptop (ASUS N550JK) will disconnect from wifi repeatedly while running games, both multiplayer and singleplayer games that dont connect to anything. The games run fine, only the wifi farts out. This happens in any network and makes playing many games impossible. This has happened since I got the laptop earlier this month

Attempted fixes: messed with wireless settings, that didnt work

Recent changes: no

--

Operating system: w8.1 64

System specs: ASUS N550JK-DS71T, i7, gtx 850m, 8gb ram

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you updated to the latest wireless adapter drivers from the adapter manufacturer's website?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Alereon posted:

Have you updated to the latest wireless adapter drivers from the adapter manufacturer's website?

yes

there is no problem when using a wired connection

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I've tried to research the laptop, but I am having a hell of a time.

I think it uses the Intel 7260 adapter for WiFi. Apparently that card can fail in interesting ways, including signal strength fading for no reason or full dropouts during transfers.

How do you feel about just replacing it? WiFi adapters are a cheap part, relatively; assuming the adapter is easily accessible from a bottom access panel, you could just buy a new one and see if that clears things up. The 802.11ac version of the Intel 7260HMW is like $30 on Amazon (Prime-eligible), and that's cost-competitive with shipping the laptop back to Asus for up to two weeks, IMO. And if it doesn't fix things, you can return the new one.

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
I did a quick search on the net and it appears to be a known issue with the laptop. The only real thing ASUS suggests is disable the power save on the adapter.

• Locked thread