Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
atheism actually makes you a retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

gorki posted:

which religion is correct religion please

this is obvious i mean come on

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
jiminy christmas this thread

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqhYchnDNfA

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
have you fegs figured out the meaning of no-god life yet. lmao.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Panzeh posted:

well calling someone a humorless oval office and then advocating the bible as rhetorical flourish sounds really odd considering humorless oval office is a pretty apt description of its authors

aww now ya done it

now i'm all riled up

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
the bible is so loving ownage.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

yeah it's almost like the bible was written by committee and then translated over and over and over again in the longest running game of telephone ever and not the actual word of God

no. this is wrong. this translation myth is wrong. stop repeating it

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

ya we have the original greek.

not sure about the original hebrew?? seems like it would have been preserved?

if by "preserved" you mean the jews edited key christian citations in the Masoretic text :tinfoil: but the dead sea scrolls were found and they preserve some of the actual earliest manuscripts which align correctly with the septuagint such as psalm 22:16

however the DSS still preserves isaiah 7:14 being 'young woman' so 'whoops' on that

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Maoist Pussy posted:

Christianity was a necessary step in realizing that god does not exist.

if yall read the bible youd know no-gods have existed forever or like people worshipping a variety of gods instead of the One True God. i mean the israelites constantly fail to properly honor god throughout the torah and history books and thats why they get killed off like a million times. the prophets are mostly just dudes whining that nobody takes religion seriously and that everyone will die because of it and they deserve it

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
theres even a slightly different version of the torah held by a group of samaritans lol. so many edits. they just love editing that thing

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/132004/the-other-torah

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Stoatbringer posted:

It's mostly important because it proves the existence of unicorns.

haha i didnt even know about that. unicorns are real tho

Torka posted:

all the arguments people make for god that are even slightly convincing are just arguments for deism, then they just kinda jump from there to jesus without any intervening steps

ok well the logic goes something like this, israelites were the first people to recognize the deist truth, but they messed some stuff up so jesus came and explained what was wrong with it. thats it basically

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

I don't think that's what deism is, it's definitely not what I meant by it at least

I mean something like what thomas paine believed, that there is a mind behind the creation of the universe but it has nothing to do with the god of the abrahamic religions and is largely uninterested in the activities or beliefs of puny humans

how could god not be interested in mankind, god has the capacity to create the universe in all its minute detail but doesn't have the time to be interested in what is almost certainly the most interesting thing in it?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Negative Entropy posted:

I dunno if I were God I would probably be too busy having fun fighting in intergalactic space battles to care about sentient amoebas.
I would probably accidentally blow up the homeworld of the sentient amoebas and think "aw, man" for 2 seconds and then move on.

youre a child

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
god not only cares about humans & finds them fascinating but he directly communicates with them and also once incarnated himself on earth as a man

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

what kind of amusement do you get from looking at a paramecium that lasts more than an hour or so, let alone forever

god made us in his own image and i suspect the sort of things we contend with in our lives are very interesting to him. he can see the depth of every little drama and he can find the humor in every joke

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

gary oldmans diary posted:

yeah guys grow up a little and consider yourselves the center of the universe like a mature adult

this, but, unironically

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

I wonder if people would be able to discuss religion more calmly if it wasn't irrevocably linked to the question of whether death is real

are there any religions that have a god but no afterlife. I already know about the ones that have no afterlife and no god

judaism has no afterlife. one of jesus's major teachings was the resurrection and eternal life

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Moridin920 posted:

maybe to smarter religious people. I'd be willing to bet that more than half of christians think god literally looks like them.

i literally believe i am god, via the holy spirit. christianity is cool

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

huh that's true I'd forgotten that judaism has very little to say about what happens at death if anything

I wonder what answers you'd get from practising jews if you polled them about what they believed. I bet you'd find there's been some cultural influence from christianity

in the OT it is taught the dead go to Sheol which is the realm of the dead, under the earth, but it's just meant to be a metaphor for death and non-existence. it is translated as Hades in the septuagint, KJV translates it as Hell but this is inaccurate because it is not the christian concept of hell (eternal fire).

however two people in the OT are taken up into heaven, enoch and elijah. the idea of resurrection became popular in judaism during the time of the second temple period, which is when jesus taught, but the official teachers (especially the sadduccees) denied the resurrection, this was a major issue of contention in the gospels. the idea of resurrection originates in 2 maccabees 7 which is one of the most horrific chapters in the bible. however this book is not in the canonical hebrew OT/tanakh and it is not in the protestant bible because protestants are dumb. to this day i think jews are supposed to believe in no resurrection but half of jews today suspect jesus was probably the messiah so whatever.

e: i wrote 17 as the chapter but it is 7

Kyrie eleison fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 25, 2014

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

:psyduck: isn't judaism + belief that jesus was the messiah literally all that christianity is

i think lots of jews secretly suspect jesus might have been the messiah even if they will not say so, i know one famous and beloved rabbi left the name of the messiah upon his death and the name he gave was yehoshua which is jesus. (link)

the NT talks a bit about how jews are still supposed to (or at least able to) observe the traditional israelite customs, but it is not required of gentiles. however it would still prefer they are baptized/receive the eucharist, etc.

organizations like 'jews for jesus' are people who consider themselves ethnically jewish but still believe in jesus, it's essentially a jewish christian denomination.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

guys stop saying the bible is translated inaccurately! by the way, the bible was translated inaccurately!

no, there is a common and oft-repeated myth stated that the bible has been translated many times throughout history and that the original text has been lost or corrupted due to this constant re-translation, which is wrong. some people seem to even believe that new english bibles are translated from the KJV. in reality, all bibles today come only from the hebrew Masoretic text of the OT, the greek translation of the OT (the septuagint), and the original greek text of the NT. ancient manuscripts do disagree on some things (e.g. 616 vs 666), but none of them are due to translation so much as scribal error or intentional changes. aside for that, obviously the bible faces the same localization issues as any other book does.

the KJV has translation errors mainly because it was made hundreds of years ago. it was an impressive translation for its time, and is quoted everywhere, but it simply contains errors.

Cardiovorax posted:

Sheol is totally a metaphor. That's why the witch of Endor can summon the shades of dead people from it. Because that's totally something you can do with a metaphor.

The thread title is wrong.

try reading into what that means, the shades of dead people. anyway sheol is often treated as a place where you simply stop existing and cannot do anything, i remember

Unlike this world, Sheol is devoid of love, hate, envy, work, thought, knowledge, and wisdom ( Ecclesiastes 9:6 Ecclesiastes 9:10 ). Descriptions are bleak: There is no light ( Job 10:21-22 ; 17:13 ; Psalms 88:6 Psalms 88:12 ; 143:3 ), no remembrance ( Psalm 6:5 ; 88:12 ; Eccl 9:5 ), no praise of God ( Psalm 6:5 ; 30:9 ; 88:10-12 ; 115:17 ; Isa 38:18 )in fact, no sound at all ( Psalm 94:17 ; 115:17 ). Its inhabitants are weak, trembling shades ( Job 26:5 ; Psalm 88:10-12 ; Isa 14:9-10 ) who can never hope to escape from its gates ( Job 10:21 ; 17:13-16 ; Isa 38:10 ). Sheol is like a ravenous beast that swallows the living without being sated ( Prov 1:12 ; 27:20 ; Isa 5:14 ). Some thought the dead were cut off from God ( Psalm 88:3-5 ; Isa 38:11 ); while others believed that God's presence reached even to Sheol ( Psalm 139:8 ).

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
religion is an interpretation of our existential situation. it is a positive/constructive possibility. a religious person is simply someone who prefers to keep this possibility open. a religious person has hope in a positive outcome. the atheist chooses despair and prefers despair.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
parliament is for hipster

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

hey kyrie are you there? I have a question about catholic doctrine

sure what's up

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

the idea that jesus was born from a virgin was created after his death by followers who were trying to make him fit into the messianic prophecies post hoc; in one of the original prophecies it said he would be born from a young woman, but this was translated into a word that means "young woman" but also means "virgin"

christians have been plagued by "localisation errors" since before the english language existed and they're making themselves look stupid and causing themselves to say stupid things, EG a virgin had a baby, by not admitting it and fixing them lmao

yea i've acknowledged isaiah 7:14 in this very thread. only thing i can say is that mary was a very important part of the early church and if she said it was a virgin birth then that is all that needs to be said on the matter.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

lol

no more need be said, lol, I worship trees but if you're going to assume, based on millenia-old hearsay, that a woman said her child was born of an immaculate conception, and further assume that her saying that means it's true, then that's probably the most laughable thing I can think of

I mean I respect christianity and all, but anyone who literally believes that jesus was born from a virgin and rose from the dead is no poo poo delusional, holy lol

Immaculate conception actually refers to the birh of Mary, not Jesus. She is the only person considered sinless besides Jesus in the church. (Sorry for caps but on phone)

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Rhymenoserous posted:

she had a baby before she was married which implies sin, checkmate theist.

according to the church, mary never had any other children and was a virgin her entire life.

eSports Chaebol posted:

yeah it's also (probably) the only actually pap ally infalla ble thing

the Assumption of Mary is also papally decreed as doctrine

Miltank posted:

How personal is God in Catholicism? Or rather, to what extent is God like us/in what sense are we made in God 's image? It never really made sense to me that God would have some sort of anthropomorphic personality distinct from Christ.

god has a personality that is human-like. he created humans specifically in his image and takes special interest in us. the trinity holds that there are 'three persons, but one god'. the father, son, and holy spirit are all considered distinct persons. however neither the father nor the holy spirit are believed to have corporeal bodies.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

how is it possible to create a materially existing, physical thing in the image of something that has no physical form?

don't bother replying, i know the answer is something about how god is all-powerful and we don't understand him fully (basically just boils down to "a wizard did it"), the ultimate cop-out excuse for why it all falls apart under the slightest scrutiny

the 'image' is our similar mind and personality and sentience, not our corporeal bodies. (although god does have a human corporeal body in the form of jesus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Boogaleeboo posted:

I never made one. I'm not talking about religious people and how kyrie eleison can't be one because of some nebulous and illogical definition of what religious people actually are, or even that they are a religious troll and religious trolls aren't really religious. I'm saying kyrie eleison isn't a religious person because they are a novelty account with a religious name that generally pops up to start poo poo in religious threads and then posts like a completely normal person in all other situations not bringing up God at all. That screams "doesn't care about the topic, actually just interested in being a troll". If they were really religious, and as religious as they imply in religious threads, you'd expect to see it in other threads too yeah?

But you don't.

well i am sincerely religious in that i go to church, confession, my apartment is adorned with religious iconography, i enjoy praying the Our Father in the morning, giving thanks before eating, helping out the homeless, generally trying to promote hopeful interpretations, and i love to study and discuss theology online.

i am however very bad at being strictly religious in the sense that i am a sexual deviant and am currently dating a jew so whatever

• Locked thread