Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
It's a pretty fun general purpose familiar. Reliable fairy and better then a volleyball. Random meat, attacks and stuns. You get some pretty good booze if you use it. Not very useful in your Throne of Buddy Bjorn. Not a must, not too power-creepy. Get it if you like turkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I like it a lot. Keeping a good supply of Awesome and Epic booze in hardcore is always hard for me and this helps a lot.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've *finally* finished The Sea after however many months I've been doing these runs. The complete Clothing of Loathing set, and the tattoos. Ugh, so time-consuming. Now to figure out another goal.

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I've *finally* finished The Sea after however many months I've been doing these runs. The complete Clothing of Loathing set, and the tattoos. Ugh, so time-consuming. Now to figure out another goal.

Get duplicates of all the pieces you had to combine. Some of those pieces are pretty good on their own for rollover and stuff.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just the Pantaloons of Hatred it seems. And I already have stinky cheese that's one of my first pulls per run.

e - huh, feels like I was doing it longer. Seems I started this spree in August.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

For some reason, there's a sk8rgnome emote now?

:vapes:

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

KoL Trivial Updates posted:

The Naughty Sorceress and her pets have had a... let's call it a falling out.
So far we know, at least in no-path and Heavy Rains, there are no familiars to fight in the tower; it goes straight from the shadow to the final boss.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

m2pt5 posted:

So far we know, at least in no-path and Heavy Rains, there are no familiars to fight in the tower; it goes straight from the shadow to the final boss.

Revamp or permanent removal? What do you guys think?

Also, does this change any of the telescope messages?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Pretty sure sorceress familiars never showed up in telescope messages anyway

:rip: My one sugar sheet summon a run

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sad news via Kickstarter. As of the 15th, Skully will no longer be part of Asymetric for financial reasons.

quote:

As most of you will hear through other outlets, as of November 15, I will no longer be an employee of Asymmetric Publications. The company can't both survive and pay my salary, so Jick made the painful decision to let me go.

However! I have retained the rights to the KoL Comic and the custody of the Kickstarter funds, so I will still be fulfilling all of the pledges for the Kickstarter. From your end, nothing will change.

And if you know anyone who needs a good comedy writer, let me know.
Here's the post in case it's publicly viewable. No idea if it's a backer only update or not.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 10, 2014

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Skully posted a similar announcement on the KoL forums.

I'd be interested to see exactly how many people Jick employs.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I'd have to imagine the Kingdom's not doing so hot if they've had to let their main writer go. :ohdear:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I'd have to imagine the Kingdom's not doing so hot if they've had to let their main writer go. :ohdear:

The writing's been on the wall for some time. It sort of became obvious with the Google Ads, but KoL has been dying since around NS13.

EDIT:

IMJack posted:

Skully posted a similar announcement on the KoL forums.

I'd be interested to see exactly how many people Jick employs.

I think now it's down to him, Riff, Hotstuff, and CDMoyer?

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 11, 2014

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Welp, the Store of Loathing is shutting down at the end of the month, too.

Losing Skully, no more KoL merch... man, things are really looking bad here.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I saw a tweet about the store closing. Didn't realize Skullhead recently left. I've come back and quit so many times I can't believe KoL is finally in its last stage of life. It's a shame Word Realms never panned out. I wonder if they're working on a new project since I can't possibly fathom they can keep KoL going for much longer.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Well gently caress, if Asymmetric bites the dust completely I hope they release something I can download and just play at home by myself. I've still never gotten an ultrarare encounter. :argh:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I figure the worst case scenario is they stop developing content but have the game remain in existence on a barebones server (note I have no idea how much hosting costs).

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

You shouldn't have changed the thread title to "That Game You Used To Play", idiots.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

sfwarlock posted:

The writing's been on the wall for some time. It sort of became obvious with the Google Ads, but KoL has been dying since around NS13.

It's going downhill financially, sure, but really? NS13 was seven years ago, and the game was only four years old at that point; I can't believe that KoL's spent two-thirds of its life in a financial decline. Was that really its peak incomewise?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I hope it's okay. It's my favorite game ever. If something does happen, then Asymmetric MUST find a replacement!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Xtanstic posted:

I figure the worst case scenario is they stop developing content but have the game remain in existence on a barebones server (note I have no idea how much hosting costs).

KoL private servers, maybe?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

m2pt5 posted:

KoL private servers, maybe?

This would unironically be a great idea, especially with proper dev tools.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

m2pt5 posted:

Welp, the Store of Loathing is shutting down at the end of the month, too.

Losing Skully, no more KoL merch... man, things are really looking bad here.

Listening to the most recent Radio Show Jick was saying (~11.30), the Merch Store even at its best in a year it made 5% of one IOTM's worth of revenue. The first fifteen or so minutes are worth a listen as they chat about Skully and some of their plans moving forward.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Looking at the store, I don't think there's been any new shirts or anything for years. Pretty sure they've had the same shirts since 2006 or so?

I'd like to see them pair with Topatoco or something. Maybe with some actual infrastructure they could get more designs out.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Historically they've always maintained that they didn't want to mark things up in the store because they felt scummy and tried to at best break even just in order to get merch to their fans. Their attitude is commendable and is likely why they had devoted IotM purchasers for so long, but at a certain point their anti-promotion personality bordered on ridiculous (Word Realms).

Leonyth posted:

Listening to the most recent Radio Show Jick was saying (~11.30), the Merch Store even at its best in a year it made 5% of one IOTM's worth of revenue. The first fifteen or so minutes are worth a listen as they chat about Skully and some of their plans moving forward.

Do you mind summing it up?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Epsilon Plus posted:

Looking at the store, I don't think there's been any new shirts or anything for years. Pretty sure they've had the same shirts since 2006 or so?

I'd like to see them pair with Topatoco or something. Maybe with some actual infrastructure they could get more designs out.

They mentioned on the forum thinking about exactly that, but Topatoco isn't taking new clients until after the holiday season, so it won't be until January-ish that they'd be able to set that up.

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

Do you mind summing it up?

Basically, they all knew it was a thing that was going to happen given the trend. They'd been talking about it for a while, Skully has actually been looking for work for a while now. The game isn't going anywhere in a hurry, and content development should stay at about the same level.

Given the amount of money the merch store was making it meant that while increasing prices might have helped it wasn't really going to work that well, Hotstuff is looking into alternate ways to sell merch. Convention/s will still happen, and they're looking into subscription options.

After that they start launching into general questions. I haven't listened to the whole show yet, but if I come upon anything else interesting/relevant I'll try to remember to summarise it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Leonyth posted:

Basically, they all knew it was a thing that was going to happen given the trend. They'd been talking about it for a while, Skully has actually been looking for work for a while now. The game isn't going anywhere in a hurry, and content development should stay at about the same level.

Given the amount of money the merch store was making it meant that while increasing prices might have helped it wasn't really going to work that well, Hotstuff is looking into alternate ways to sell merch. Convention/s will still happen, and they're looking into subscription options.

After that they start launching into general questions. I haven't listened to the whole show yet, but if I come upon anything else interesting/relevant I'll try to remember to summarise it.

Thanks. I appreciate it given I don't really listen to the podcasts or read the KoL forums when I'm not actively playing the game.

azsedcf
Jul 21, 2006

...a place of unlimited darkness.
"Where are the doors?" they asked nerviously.
Even my bellowing laughter couldn't fill this space.
Applied as azsedcf.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

quote:

Picky

Winter 2014 Challenge - (+100 Karma)

You can only take 3 familiars and 11 permed skills with you — pick wisely! (Familiar hatchlings and skill granting items may not be used.)

NOTE: Limited-time content from prior to 2012 is disallowed on this path.
Well, that explains the NS dumping her familiars and the skill page revamp.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Soo, I hope the Starfish isn't required...

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I guess Skully's leaving KoL wasn't as mutual or as amicable as Asymmetric tried to let on.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Soo, I hope the Starfish isn't required...

It's not. Apparently there was a system message about it.

quote:

Don't panic -- you don't need the starfish in this path. Would we do that to you? No. I mean yes, probably, but did we? No.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Well that's awkward considering the tone of the kickstarter and forum post. It's sad because I remember dreading this day years ago since it seemed like the only way it could end, especially when your coworkers are your good friends. To be honest I always expected Riff to be the first to go. :shrug:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
And really strange considering what the podcast sounded like - Jick sounded like everyone had seen this coming and had prepared for it..

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I doubt Jick will ever stop Kingdoming, but it may just end up as suggested, private servers, with occasional ideas and dev input from the guy.

That said, I'm fine with IotMs being the only new content (okay and maybe a summer / reduced Crimbo) if the game goes another few years. Paths are nice and all, but one or two a year seem like they take up enough design time as is.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

There are enough paths now that they could conceivably start recycling, but the real risk is that a lessening of creative output will yield a lessening of financial input, starting a vicious and self-perpetuating cycle.

In totally unrelated news, anyone want to buy some meat? :negative:

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011

Sputnik posted:

In totally unrelated news, anyone want to buy some meat? :negative:

I'm starting to believe that you are the sole reason for all of KOL's problems.

By the way, I just bought myself a Folder Holder. Is there any consensus on what folders to put into it?
The Dread landscape one seems powerful. And I guess most people use the +NC% folder?

(drat, I'll have to do another Highschool run now...)

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Choronzons son posted:

I'm starting to believe that you are the sole reason for all of KOL's problems.

I'm pretty sure that I'm peanuts compared to some other resellers, but if it makes you feel better to hear, I've paid my pound of flesh - I have donated well over a hundred bucks to Jick from back when I started out. Even ignoring my return-on-investment, I doubt most goons buy $100 worth of meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choronzons son
Mar 1, 2011

Sputnik posted:

I'm pretty sure that I'm peanuts compared to some other resellers, but if it makes you feel better to hear, I've paid my pound of flesh - I have donated well over a hundred bucks to Jick from back when I started out. Even ignoring my return-on-investment, I doubt most goons buy $100 worth of meat.

Hey, I wasn't serious. It's an inherent problem with the business model and game economics though, that a lot of the old guard will never feel any need to donate because of some good investments and being-there-at-the-right-time.
I must admit, I thought about buying meat from you and finally decided I'd rather donate a bit every few month.
Again, I'm not blaming you at all.