Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

Movie: The Raid: Redemption (2011)

axleblaze posted:

Subtext: 9/11 was an inside job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'll try this one out, though my pick might be a easy one

edit:oh wait, I missed that part where the picks were randomized lol got to rethink about what to put then

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 31, 2014

TheInvisiblePooka
Dec 18, 2012
What could possibly go wrong? I'm in.

Username: TheInvisiblePooka
Film: Pain & Gain
Subtext: Skeletons Disguised as People

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Sign ups are closed and I will have assignments out later today when I get off of work. RIP Labor Day.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

[IGNORE THIS POST]

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 2, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

quote:

Looper : All agents defect; all resistors sell out

And the easiest essay ever goes to...

quote:

Her: Millenials and the culture of unearned expertise/clickbaiting.
Wait, gently caress.

quote:

Cloud Atlas (2012) Technology imposes social isolation
God dammit.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 2, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How the gently caress is skeletons disguised as people going to work? Or do I just not understand that subject?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

And the easiest essay ever goes to...

Wait, gently caress.

God dammit.

I know :eng99:

There are always a good number of them that just seem obvious to me. The Fly and 5 stages of grief, The Raid and consumerism, Gremlins and fear of one's own body, Top Gun and the British Empire, etc etc just work in my mind. It is just unavoidable. That being said, I would love to actually read a large number of them though.

You know what? If you got a super goddamn obvious one and want to switch it out I will allow you to randomly get one from one of the past Subtext Games and I will put your subtext in there for future games.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
You could always reshuffle things, possibly locking in the movie or subtext, if you think a full quarter of the subtexts are boringly obvious. I doubt anyone's started working on their essays in the last hour.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Quovak posted:

You could always reshuffle things, possibly locking in the movie or subtext, if you think a full quarter of the subtexts are boringly obvious. I doubt anyone's started working on their essays in the last hour.

Excuse me but I have already finished my novel and have lined up a publisher.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Should I watch the first Very Brady movie for context, or

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I think I can do something interesting with the five stages of grief. Treating it as "subtext" means not just listing how the movie traces out the five steps, but how the movie is about the concept of stages of grief, and the subdivided concepts contained with classifying and studying the psychology of grieving. I think I could make something interesting out of that.

Though my one question is, if I'm not specified to use the original or remake of The Fly, I can use either, right?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

SORRY GUYS I AM PULLING A 180 AND REASSIGNING THINGS OUT OH GOD PLEASE DO NOT BE UPSET WITH ME!

Quovak posted:

I did it a few times and had the same issue. INSTEAD, I shifted all the subtexts down one and switched one to avoid someone writing about their own subtext. Magically it looks a lot better...I think?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q__Cj8aipXCk86nzsppYtJRLfMPMGHnR2Ar6MLmJqsU/

code:
User			Movie					Subtext
TrixRabbi		I Am Legend (2007)			The Failed Mysticism of 1960s Counterculture
Egbert Souse		Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song	Resistance to colonialism [successful or not]
Jonny Angel		A Very Brady Sequel			All agents defect; all resistors sell out
Safe Driver		Videodrome				End The Fed
Friedpundit		Attack the Block			Canada works better in practice than in theory
User-Friendly		Barbarella				Gender politics in the information age
Hibernator		Looper					Geocentrism
RandallODim		Pain & Gain				Endorsement of BDSM sexuality
Cakebaker		Naked Lunch				Skeletons Disguised as People
mobby_6kl		The Talented Mr. Ripley			Dynamics of personal and cultural obsolescence
ynohtna			The Raid: Redemption(2011)		The feminist conspiracy to make men redundant
Zikan			Network(1976)				The ethics of consumption
axleblaze		Cool World (1992)			The lifelong yearning to return to the innocence of youth
Tars Tarkas		Miami Connection			How secular society attempts to fill the void in the absence of God
King Cyborg		Footloose (1984)			The crucifixion of Christ
Kirbdog			The Prestige				gently caress the 1970s
mr. stefan		Top Gun					Bitches be crazy
precision		12 Angry Men				The Divine Right of the British Empire
Vitamin P		Her					The cop and the criminal are the same person
Proposition Joe		Cloud Atlas (2012)			Millenials and the culture of unearned expertise/clickbaiting.
Darthemed		Titanic					Technology imposes social isolation
VROOM VROOM		Under the Skin				The US Government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic
Precombrian		The Fly					The effectivelessness of non-violent protest
Not a Twat		The Long Goodbye (1973)			The 5 stages of grief
Quovak			Chicken Run(2000)			The equivalency of artistic creation to magic
Hbomberguy		Gremlins 2: the New Batch		9/11 was an inside job
TheInvisiblePooka	Clerks					Fear of one's own body

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Well, this just got a lot more difficult.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Naked Lunch and Skeletons Disguised as People is the best pairing.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
My BDSM theme got paired with a movie literally called Pain & Gain, poo poo owns. Here's a freebie for Randall: Michael Bay's prior movie to Pain & Gain, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, literally ends with an endorsement of BDSM sexuality as an alternative to toxic masculinity. Incorporate that or don't.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

ALSO, FOR MY REASSIGNMENTS I AM ANNOUNCING THAT THE FIRST PLACE WINNER WILL RECEIVE ONE(1) 35MM TRAILER REEL of GODZILLA(1998) AS ONE PART OF THEIR PRIZE!

Also, I will just say, that if it is a super hard pairing then judging will obviously be more lenient on it because we know it is hard. If it is easy then maybe play us with a few curve balls that we might not immediately think of. At the end of the day I want to believe that you honestly think that your subtext is THE SUBTEXT for that movie.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 2, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Aw, Gremlins 2 got matched with the subtext I gave it. That's no fun (especially because I stole that combo from some internet videos I saw). The Raid one also seems particularly hard because I don't think there's one whole woman in that movie.

Also I'm not sure if the one I got is really easy or really hard.

Anyways, as a judge I do want to reiterate that just pretend you're taking it seriously. The one's that annoyed me the most last time were ones that just sort of didn't try to make any connection and just made it a bad parody of this type of analysis. That isn't to say you shouldn't have a sense of humor about it, just attempt to make some sort of believer out of me.

Also if it's over like ten pages (more realistically five) don't blame me if it seems I didn't read your essay that closely.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jonny Angel posted:

My BDSM theme got paired with a movie literally called Pain & Gain, poo poo owns. Here's a freebie for Randall: Michael Bay's prior movie to Pain & Gain, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, literally ends with an endorsement of BDSM sexuality as an alternative to toxic masculinity. Incorporate that or don't.

I'm already so excited and you've only made me more so.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

The Raid one also seems particularly hard because I don't think there's one whole woman in that movie.

There are two. Now, the extent to which they qualify as characters is debatable, since if I recall they have like four lines between them.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
So is Skeletons Disguised as People a real concept, or do I have to come up with exactly what that means? Google just got me back to this thread (and to a few threads about RPGs where people really wanted to become skeletons)

Anyway I like that I got Naked Lunch. I've been meaning to see it forever.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

axleblaze posted:

The Raid one also seems particularly hard because I don't think there's one whole woman in that movie.

Oh, word, this is possibly going to break my brain in half.

Cakebaker posted:

So is Skeletons Disguised as People a real concept

People are just animals pretending to be human.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Cakebaker posted:

So is Skeletons Disguised as People a real concept, or do I have to come up with exactly what that means?

Do you know those conspiracy theories where the world is secretly being run by lizard people wearing human skins? I'd imagine it's like that, but with skeletons instead of reptilians.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I refuse to rewatch I Am Legend so I'm going to be working off of my memory of it from 2007. I hope that is okay.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

TrixRabbi posted:

I refuse to rewatch I Am Legend so I'm going to be working off of my memory of it from 2007. I hope that is okay.

If you're anything like me that would mean writing the whole essay on the scene where Will Smith yells at a mannequin.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TrixRabbi posted:

This is a shame because the movie straight up owns - just make sure you're watching it with the correct ending!

So as someone who knows jack poo poo about the Brady Bunch, my understanding from a quick Wikipedia search is that I probably don't need to watch any of the original series, but MIGHT want to watch the first movie from '95. My main question here is: to what extent are we allowed / encouraged / discouraged as far as bringing in related films? Or secondary scholarship, I suppose? I feel like Augusto Boal might have something interesting to say about my subtext as it relates to a populist comedy production.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I didn't see the original list but the new one is quite hardcore. I think I understand my subtext so maybe it won't go completely horribly. Good luck everyone!

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Jonny Angel posted:

So as someone who knows jack poo poo about the Brady Bunch, my understanding from a quick Wikipedia search is that I probably don't need to watch any of the original series, but MIGHT want to watch the first movie from '95. My main question here is: to what extent are we allowed / encouraged / discouraged as far as bringing in related films? Or secondary scholarship, I suppose? I feel like Augusto Boal might have something interesting to say about my subtext as it relates to a populist comedy production.

Bring in any outside sources you need. I remember some people actually having citations and stuff of scholarly articles in the past.

Kirbdog
Oct 16, 2007
Pike-fiyah!
Incorporating "gently caress the 1970s" into an analysis of the Prestige is going to be a challenge. To what extent can I rework/interpret the subtext to fit into the parameters of the movie. "gently caress the 1870s," sure I could get down with that.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

axleblaze posted:

ynohtna posted:

Oh, word, this is possibly going to break my brain in half.
Your topic is about men being made redundant and the movie features scores (hundreds?) of men being killed. You got this.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Kirbdog posted:

Incorporating "gently caress the 1970s" into an analysis of the Prestige is going to be a challenge. To what extent can I rework/interpret the subtext to fit into the parameters of the movie. "gently caress the 1870s," sure I could get down with that.

You're being too literal with 1970s. What themes of life in the 1970s can be seen in Prestige? And what does the film say about those themes?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

VROOM VROOM posted:

Your topic is about men being made redundant and the movie features scores (hundreds?) of men being killed. You got this.

Yeah, I figured something like that out a while ago. Masculine culture's tendency for self-destruction as a consequence of the need to prove social status and ideological superiority through violent power interactions. There also has to be some good fodder in the film's fraternal relationship, what the absence of female and maternal influences represents (have they emancipated themselves?), and so on.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

12 Angry Men and the Divine Right of the British Empire should be rad. It's literally about a guy pushing his own perspective upon all others until they are unified under one ideology.

My assignment should be fun. I don't immediately know how it'll work, but the characters in Looper are self-centered enough that there's likely an argument for Geocentrism in there somewhere.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I haven't seen Gremlins 2 in a long time but it came out before 9/11 and had scenes in a big tower, right?

Okay, time to pull a Shining and claim Joe Dante knew the plan and tried to warn people.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Gremlins 2 was not a warning. It was a trial run of the special effects used to portray 9/11 as a "simple" terrorist act, thereby disguising what really happened that day.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

I haven't seen Gremlins 2 in a long time but it came out before 9/11 and had scenes in a big tower, right?

Okay, time to pull a Shining and claim Joe Dante knew the plan and tried to warn people.

I posted about it in gen chat, but the reason I submitted those two wacky things (which I thought would get randomized) was that I found on youtube a guy claiming that Gremlins 2 was the Illuminati Jews in Hollywood telling people that they were gonna do 9/11 in 11 year. His entire reasoning behind this was: a) the address of the building the movie was filmed at supposedly had Illuminati significance, b) the building sort of looks like the world trade center, c) there is a sound of an airplane flying by at one point in the movie, d) there's a shot where reported from channel 9 and channel 11 put their mike's next to each other, e) There's a song on the soundtrack called "bombers in the sky" by a group called the Thompsons TWINs and it's right next to the song "New York, New York", F) There are some TWIN actors from Terminator 2 which is apparently also about 9/11 and E) JEWS.

You have to try and be more coherent than that without being anti-Semitic.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

axleblaze posted:

I posted about it in gen chat, but the reason I submitted those two wacky things (which I thought would get randomized) was that I found on youtube a guy claiming that Gremlins 2 was the Illuminati Jews in Hollywood telling people that they were gonna do 9/11 in 11 year. His entire reasoning behind this was: a) the address of the building the movie was filmed at supposedly had Illuminati significance, b) the building sort of looks like the world trade center, c) there is a sound of an airplane flying by at one point in the movie, d) there's a shot where reported from channel 9 and channel 11 put their mike's next to each other, e) There's a song on the soundtrack called "bombers in the sky" by a group called the Thompsons TWINs and it's right next to the song "New York, New York", F) There are some TWIN actors from Terminator 2 which is apparently also about 9/11 and E) JEWS.

The first movie tells kids there's no santa clause, and now THIS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

I don't know what you're on about, that sounds clear as day to me. :tinfoil:

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Hbomberguy, please cite axleblaze's link extensively and claim it is an Illuminati false flag to throw us off the trail of the real 9-11 secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

About the Gremlins 2 thing, sorry. What I try to do is randomize everything and have each individual not get the movie or subtext they submitted. It never crossed my mind that someone had already actually done that somewhere on the internet. Either you can write it and try not to rewrite that essay, or grab a randomized old subtext, that was never written about, from prior years. The choice is yours.

• Locked thread