Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

THE FINAL SCORES ARE...

code:
VROOM VROOM - Under the Skin	9.5
Hbomberguy  - Gremlins 2	8.33
Cakebaker - Naked Lunch		7.83
User-Friendly - Barberella	7.5
mr. stefan - Top Gun		7.17
Hibernator - Looper		7
Precambrian - The Fly		6.33
precision - 12 Angry Men	6
Daerthmed - Titanic		6
TheInvisiblePooka - Clerks	5.67
Congrats to the winners! Here are your prizes.
VROOM VROOM, your prize is the Godzilla trailer reel and $25 to go towards whatever you want on Amazon or Moviepostershop.com
Hbomberguy, you get $25 to go towards whatever you want on Amazon or Moviepostershop.com
Cakebaker, you get $15 to go towards whatever you want on Amazon or Moviepostershop.com

For your prizes either send me an email or PM and we will work out the details.

Here is also the link to all of the essays this year...
https://drive.google.com/?usp=chrome_app#folders/0BzhYU84pseQZbFBBeXQtZEYwbkU

I gotta say though that Under the Skin essay loving killed it given how out of left field the subtext,The US Government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic, was and how well it was implemented.

Also, sorry about the long grading wait. We are always super slow, myself included, and I really should give us a time limit.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fat Lou posted:

THE FINAL SCORES ARE...
I gotta say though that Under the Skin essay loving killed it given how out of left field the subtext,The US Government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic, was and how well it was implemented.

Agreed. I think I ended up giving Gremlins II the highest score with Under the Skin just behind it but I was conflicted because I thought the Gremlins one was almost too easy, but then thought that random pairing shouldn't affect my scoring. Kudos to everyone who played.

Also want to give props to Looper because I felt like you had the absolute shittiest combo and did pretty okay all things considered.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 1, 2014

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
What does Platinum go for these days? Seems like shipping a dvd to Sweden with Amazon costs like 8 bucks, so it's not very worthwhile. And for moviepostersshop.com slowest shipping to Sweden for a poster is 14.99 which leaves me 0.01$ for the actual purchase x)

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Cakebaker posted:

What does Platinum go for these days? Seems like shipping a dvd to Sweden with Amazon costs like 8 bucks, so it's not very worthwhile. And for moviepostersshop.com slowest shipping to Sweden for a poster is 14.99 which leaves me 0.01$ for the actual purchase x)

Haha, I was waiting for someone overseas to win and for me to look like an idiot. Yeah, I could grab you Platinum if that is what you want.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Oh snap. I guess there was a reason it all felt so right when I was writing. Thanks to everyone that put in the effort, it seems neither my submitted movie nor topic were written on, oh well. Props to Hbomberguy for taking a more imaginative approach to his topic where I went the literal route, but

VROOM VROOM posted:

as it turns out, [Under the Skin] totally is about how the US government was behind the crack cocaine epidemic.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

VROOM VROOM posted:

Oh snap. I guess there was a reason it all felt so right when I was writing. Thanks to everyone that put in the effort, it seems neither my submitted movie nor topic were written on, oh well. Props to Hbomberguy for taking a more imaginative approach to his topic where I went the literal route, but

Thanks. I know this is all meant to be a big joke but regardless, it really got me thinking about movies I love (Gremlins 2 no joke is the best film ever and my favourite) and it's been a lot of fun to read other people's stuff too! Yours was really good vroom vroom, it made my heart pound - like "holy poo poo this movie's actually about crack! It's right there on the screen!!!" Being a conspiracy theorist, even for pretend, is totally fun.

I took an exam today and realised I've actually forgotten how to Do Maths - film theory has pushed the last of it right out of my brain. I'll need those 25 bucks to pay for high-school numeracy books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Woo! I'm just happy to have not come in last. I probably could have been more creative or in-depth, but I had just recently watched 12 Angry Men, coincidentally enough, and wasn't really up for fine-tooth combing through it, so I went with short and to the point. That was fun, now I'm gonna read the other essays. :)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The entries were pretty good overall this year with nothing I thought was outright bad. Most points were taken off for minor grievances and things that annoy me personally. If you want to know what I thought of your individual essays, just ask.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Under the Skin really is about cocaine. :stare:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I feel like I could have tied mine together more, but that's what I get for putting the thing together in about an hour without a second draft.

e: wouldn't mind a word or two of feedback, though

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 1, 2014

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

axleblaze posted:

If you want to know what I thought of your individual essays, just ask.

I think it's only appropriate to ask about mine, given your avatar. My thoughts: argumentation is solid but leans a lot on the assumption that the reader has seen the film, with lots of ambiguous (as in, having multiple possible readings) language meant to apply both to the film and the topic, as well as implied references to specific shots. (I knew I wanted to include one screenshot at the end - the motorcyclist staring out over the snow was a close second, but the final shot was too perfect in how it closed out both the film and the essay) How many of you guys had seen it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Naked Lunch essay is fantastic, and as many times as I've seen that film the essay pointed out things I still hadn't noticed. Great job there.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

Fat Lou posted:

Haha, I was waiting for someone overseas to win and for me to look like an idiot. Yeah, I could grab you Platinum if that is what you want.

Platinum sounds good. Do you need anything more than the username?

axleblaze posted:

The entries were pretty good overall this year with nothing I thought was outright bad. Most points were taken off for minor grievances and things that annoy me personally. If you want to know what I thought of your individual essays, just ask.

I'm all for feedback. Personally I think mine got less and less focused the longer it went, with no real finish. I got a bit too invested in the Swedish election which took place the same day as the deadline, so I found myself not having a lot of time for it at the end. I also did try to warp the subtext more to fit the movie than the other way around.

precision posted:

The Naked Lunch essay is fantastic, and as many times as I've seen that film the essay pointed out things I still hadn't noticed. Great job there.

Thanks! Yeah you really start noticing new stuff when trying to get at the movie from a different angle.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Writing is ostensibly my job, so I'd love some on mine as well.

edit: Also I'd like to fight Axleblaze in Skullgirls

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 1, 2014

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah I'd like to hear your thoughts, Axleblaze.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

VROOM VROOM posted:

I think it's only appropriate to ask about mine, given your avatar. My thoughts: argumentation is solid but leans a lot on the assumption that the reader has seen the film, with lots of ambiguous (as in, having multiple possible readings) language meant to apply both to the film and the topic, as well as implied references to specific shots. (I knew I wanted to include one screenshot at the end - the motorcyclist staring out over the snow was a close second, but the final shot was too perfect in how it closed out both the film and the essay) How many of you guys had seen it?

As has been mentioned you did a surprisingly good job making this seem like a likely subtext and the mention of the last shot alone was brilliant. You just lost a small buit because I felt you were missing a "why". I never got a sense as to why I would make it about cocaine, just that it worked oddly well if you did that.

Cakebaker posted:

I'm all for feedback. Personally I think mine got less and less focused the longer it went, with no real finish. I got a bit too invested in the Swedish election which took place the same day as the deadline, so I found myself not having a lot of time for it at the end. I also did try to warp the subtext more to fit the movie than the other way around.

Yours mainly lost points mainly for logicial leaps without explanations. Sometimes your ideas were presented and I was expected to make what to you was an obvious connection and that sort of thing feels like cheating. You did have a very hard topic and you actually did a pretty good job being convincing that this might be a subtext, even without the logical leaps. Overall I thought it was very good but needed a bit more fleshing out.

Hbomberguy posted:

edit: Also I'd like to fight Axleblaze in Skullgirls

I forgot to say this in genchat, but I only have it on PSN. Sorry.

Hibernator posted:

Yeah I'd like to hear your thoughts, Axleblaze.

With yours I gave you extra points just for working with such a hard topic but even then it was a bit of a stretch and I just wasn't fully convinced. It had to much stuff that I was supposed to accept without any real reason other than it was the topic of the essay. You did your best with a really hard topic though.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
I was hamstrung by the fact that gender issues are so prevalent in Barbarella that I felt like I was just going through the movie beat-by-beat describing them. I'd be interested to know the thoughts of the raters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Did my write-up for Titanic get a smirk out of anyone, or did it get too self-absorbed?

• Locked thread