Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Problem description: So I spilled some liquid on my laptop yesterday (it should be dry now) but now the internal keyboard is all shorted out and spewing garbage text and arrow keys and basically making it impossible to do anything on there :(

Attempted fixes: I've tried doing the FN + F7 combo to disable the keyboard but that clearly didn't work since the keyboard itself is hosed up.

I tried uninstalling the driver but it demands a restart and then just promptly reinstalls it as soon as it's back up.

I tried going into BIOS or CMOS or whatever but I couldn't see anything related to keyboards there.

Finally I tried dissembling the entire laptop and seeing if I could find the keyboard ribbon to disconnect it but I wasn't able to open it up all the way thanks to propriety screws or whatever.
--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit

System specs: Here's the laptop: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZUXX1K/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes!

g0lbez fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I found the service manual (or, rather, one from the 5741 that should be relevant), and you don't need to mess with any screws.

Along the top side of the keyboard there are six locking tabs, one in each corner and four more distributed along the way. These tabs have to be unlocked. If they're similar to similar tabs I've worked with before, it's pretty much a limited-brute-force operation with a pry bar (like a flathead screwdriver). The keyboard can just be rotated from the top and placed face-down on the touchpad. Release the locking latch and the cable should come out freely.

Many laptop keyboards are secured with tabs. Even ThinkPad keyboards just have a single securing screw.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Holy goddamn poo poo that was so loving easy! Thank you a billion times!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Yep, glad to help. :buddy:

If you haven't thought of it already, a new keyboard should be like $20 on eBay.

• Locked thread