Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

What Is It?
Atomic Brawl is an amazing free competitive strategy game with a lightheated tone that belies a game of exceptional depth and skill. The gameplay lands somewhere between Magic: The Gathering and chess, with PvP battles played out on a hexagonal battlefield using custom made decks supplemented by various power cores, creating a wide variety of potential styles and strategies.

How do I get started?
Just go to http://atomicbrawl.com and sign up! Like I said it's free and you get a starter deck which can be customized to your liking right from the start, with more cards becoming available as you complete challenges and play matches. There's also a referral URL attached to each account, here's mine if you want: http://brawl.in/HoUMbE

Cards? Cores? Tell me more!
There's a basic core and 10 special cores that you can choose from, each with game-changing powers and effects.
Aggronium - 400 HP, +5 energy boost under 40 base energy, -5 energy penalty after. Can add +1 to a brawler's movement once per turn
Catsinium - 400 HP, Once per turn you can spend 10 energy to summon a Kitten (25hp 15dmg 1rng 1mov), your core loses 10 health when a kitten dies, but adds +10 dmg to all kittens after 50 base energy
Constructium - Once per turn can summon a Stone Wall with 80 health that lasts 4 turns, your core loses 20 health when a wall dies
Ensnarium - 300 core HP, Each trap triggered does 10 dmg to the enemy core, can relocate 1 trap per turn
Knowledgium - 400 HP, Once per turn you can spend 10 Energy and 20 health to draw an extra card
Molassium - 400 HP, -5 energy penalty under 40 base energy, +5 energy boost after. Can -1 to a brawler's movement once per turn
Overrunium - 400 HP, Begins with -10 attack to all your brawlers, then removes the penalty once you have 4 brawlers in play, adds +10 atk for 5-6 brawlers and +20 atk for 7 or more.
Shellinium - 400 HP, -5 atk to all your brawlers, can add +15 armor to a brawler once per turn
Warpinium - 400 HP, -1 mov to all your brawlers, can warp 1 brawler you own next to something else you own once per turn
Zombium - 400 HP, any time a brawler you own dies, put a Rabid Zombie (25hp 15atk 1rng 1mov) into play. These zombies lose 10hp per turn for 3 turns, and cost 5 energy to maintain.

Metagame
Something that I really appreciate about AtomicBrawl is the careful balance tuning. 50 cards minimum per deck with 3 copies of each card available means that you have to be creative to come up with coherent strategies and it's just not wise to count on playing the same game twice in a row.

That said, I have noticed a variety of popular deck types that are worth mentioning:
Weenie Rush- Cheap, effective brawlers who control the board early and give enemies the beatdown before they've got time to react
Structureland- Clutter the battlefield with structures and then surround them with traps and the enemy brawlers will never know what hit them
Burst Combo- Get a handful of cards as soon as possible and then bust out a game winning combo, often involving warping a +atk buffed brawler behind the enemy core for a quick finish
Denial- Control the battlefield with destruction spells and find ways to make the enemy waste resources trying to stay afloat, then crush them by mind controlling their own brawlers to finish the game in style.

As a final note on strategy, I'm noticing that the destruction spells you pack really have a big effect on the overall outcome of your games. If your opponent spends 70 Energy on a brawler that you immediately kill with a 25 E Molotov Cocktail, that can easily change the whole outcome of the game. But you can never pack all the destruction cards you want into one deck without going way over the 50 card minimum and ruining your chances of drawing those cards when you need them, so it's important to think carefully about the type and amount of denial you run.

Well, that's all folks! Hope this post will inspire some new people to investigate this great game, and if you have any questions this is the thread for 'em :)

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
The thread title really sold it for me. Signed up to punch some dinosuars under your referral link, here is mine: http://bit.ly/1lqfoUt

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Sad news! Apparently the devs are basically done with AB, saying they've already lost too much time and money on it and can't risk further investment. Full blog post here: http://blog.atomicbrawl.com/blog/2014/08/24/the-present/

• Locked thread