Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I blew that Pulse. That seriously ruined everything.

Expected a Celestial. I could have clashed out whatever I wanted with Ionic and gotten Laser Shot back, but the combination of misreading Metamagical and that Pulse screwed me up good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Oriana really just needs certainty to exploit her tokens, and ARIA is really good at keeping things uncertain. In general, ARIA's high priority and mobility makes it hard for Oriana to use moves that don't have some level of Stun Guard, particularly at close ranges. Moves like Meteor get really dicey since Reconfiguration can just dance right around what otherwise would be a field-dominating move. I had some trouble recovering from that bad opening, since Oriana has to land hits to recover, and it's difficult because of that. The only thing she has to counter ARIA's priority is really Metamagical, and throwing that out to try and win a priority game is also giving up the valuable psychological tactic of having it in reserve.

Once that Pulse came up I knew I could at least take control of the match briefly. My biggest worry was actually having ARIA use Reconfiguration to close the gap and make things dicey for me, but range meant that a lot of ARIA's priority advantage went away and I could discount huge swaths of possible plays by standing still. That's why I threw out the Unstable Shot; if ARIA Reconfigured, it was a guaranteed hit. In the last round, I realized that the only dangerous options for ARIA really were trying to connect with Burst's range, or Reconfiguring defensively, and since the latter couldn't hit me, I went to try and counter the former with a high-priority attack.

I held on to Celestial as long as I could; if I had a safe option that didn't involve playing it, I played it. The threat of having an attack bounce was more valuable than actually using it. If I had gotten Shot again it probably would have reemerged.

• Locked thread