Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
burning man has it all; techies, bourgeois, sex domes, children... is it any wonder it is the greatest cultural event in the entire world?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

the fact you're even on my CYBERSPACE pisses me off

go join a sex dome you dolt

He said he got there early, it's still in setup phase.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I know I'm fagposting but my crew is passed out and my hands are sorta tied until sun up.

The truth is Burning Man is largely composed of super rich white people and no, it is not affordable. I don't make a lot of money but I make a lot of art and art grants cover the cost of getting there and sometimes even supplies.

Of the 4 times I made the trip 3 of them were on someone else's dime because I have a reputation for not complaining and never shirking my responsibilities no matter how hard I am partying. At 26 I'm definitely one of the youngest people here (aside from the minors with their families).

A component is that the further away you come from, the richer you usually are and the bigger your poo poo is. West coasters can do the drive in a day and so a ton of Cali/Portland peeps just show up to party, but I'm from the Philly/NYC area so my crew goes hog wild.

I'm phone (fag)posting so I cannot post pics of my art but I built a garden of 9 foot tall praying mantises that people were invited to paint, then is built one 25ft tall and 40 ft long (took 3 days). This year my art project is a climate controlled yurt full of body pillows and Halloween lights. It'll always be cool in there during the day and warm at night, and we have basically every amenity.
The big project my friends have that I skipped out on is converting an Air Force missle loader into a spaceship dj booth (ICARUS).

I've been in and through some sex domes, but the big pile of flesh thing isn't my scene, so I'm usually there to do what's called rangering. That is basically where you go to heated or weird situations (consent violations, overdoses, tripping out too hard) and you try to defuse it before the cops get involved. The last time I was in an orgy dome was to clear out some woman who was just grabbin' handfuls without asking. She was too spun out to be there so I put a blanket over her and took her to medical for a nap.

There are tons of other countries and ethnicities there, but because regional festivals in other countries are blowing up now, I am personally seeing fewer and fewer internationals and by extension, it is mostly white people, but I have camped with Palestinians and Ghanaians before, but that is just anecdotal.

hahha wow i didnt realize that BM was this sad/pathetic.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
burning man is a culture placeholder for a cultureless nation.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i read an article just a few days ago about how rich yuppie faggots are ruining burning man with their climate controlled yurts and totally missing the point of camping out in the middle of nowhere in the desert

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

so wait. rich people go to the goddamn desert every year dressed like steampunk hipsters, wank off at everyones art, gently caress each other in sex domes and pay hundreds of dollars to get in? to get into a desert.

uhhhh

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
truly they deserve the guillotine

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Bust Rodd posted:

At 26 I'm definitely one of the youngest people here

quote:

sex domes,

More like Cucking Man

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Moridin920 posted:

how is that not rich techies

they're petite bourgouise

E: lol

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Tautologicus posted:

He said he got there early, it's still in setup phase.

sorry op :(

Not really, you fuckass retard

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Jonad posted:

they're petite bourgouise

E: lol

sounds like my kinda crowd, put me in the thunderdome

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm phone (fag)posting so I cannot post pics of my art but I built a garden of 9 foot tall praying mantises that people were invited to paint, then is built one 25ft tall and 40 ft long (took 3 days).
thgis sounds cool

Bust Rodd posted:

This year my art project is a climate controlled yurt full of body pillows and Halloween lights. It'll always be cool in there during the day and warm at night, and we have basically every amenity.
this soudns like you're running jeff bezos' private lobby and kinda lame

Bust Rodd posted:

She was too spun out to be there so I put a blanket over her and took her to medical for a nap.
this sounds funny though

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Does the average person have access to electricity? Being super hot and dusty sounds loving gross and lol at paying for the privilege to experience being poor and gross with strangers.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Nuts and Gum posted:

Does the average person have access to electricity? Being super hot and dusty sounds loving gross and lol at paying for the privilege to experience being poor and gross with strangers.

lol imagine how many gas generators are cranking there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I don't get Burning Man. I've had awesome acid trips in plenty of places I can go to for free.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
burning man. more like burning crotch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Burning man sounds like a big time fail to me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
burning MAN? sounds a little cissexist?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Omi-Polari posted:

burning MAN? sounds a little cissexist?

Let's start a competing Wicker Mangina festival in New Mexico.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Do people walking around calling the place the playa sound as irritating in real life as it does my in my head?

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
you say that like it's a bad thing

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

gggiiimmmppp posted:

i read an article just a few days ago about how rich yuppie faggots are ruining burning man with their climate controlled yurts and totally missing the point of camping out in the middle of nowhere in the desert

it was always that, also theres all kinds of narcissistic hierarchy poo poo that goes on there

theres this self important dirtfucker mission statement about how its all inclusive yet the "first camp" where all the "founders" hang out is basically an invitation to come wash the emperors feet or be scorned

if anyone wants to get real mad theres a netflix doc called spark that is all about the total fuckheads that run the thing except for the one guy who got out when it was getting popular and seems kinda sour grapes about not getting on the gravy train

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
ive always wanted to go to an orgy but the ones i know of are always seemingly full of really ugly offputtin people

Are there any orgies where it can be just me and a lot of beautiful women? Maybe like a really pretty twink guy as well for potential sexual adventures

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Tuxedo Gin posted:

i literally could care less about words

couldn't care less!

or could you care less? How much less could you care? Please do elaborate

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Burning Man seems kind of fun and I'd like to go, although I'm fairly sure I'd get sick of it after a day, yuppies can be grating as gently caress.

OP how many shirt-cockers have you seen?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Congrats on doing something thats been dead and old for loving years now, OP.

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

"Cock'n'Balls" is a pinnacle of modern medicine.
Yeah, I went for seven years in a row, even spent a few volunteering as a ranger. Even though I'm in the medical field, I never wanted to work medical there, I always worked all my time as a dirt ranger, on the midnight to 6 AM graveyard shift.

I've gotta tell you, there's just something magical about heading in to center camp after freezing your rear end off for hours while working perimeter at the stick, keeping hippies from climbing the man and taking a header while they load him with all the poo poo they burn. It's LITERALLY below freezing and you thought it'd be a good idea to walk a dirt shift in a sarong until you realized it's so cold your balls have crept up to the vicinity of your chin, and there's just thumping bass and lasers and tripping people everywhere - none of which you give half a gently caress about because goddamn, seriously, you knew it got this cold, why did you wear a sarong?

And then khaki calls and lets you head in to center camp for coffee and you spend the last 30 minutes watching the sun slowly rise over the mountains with a warm cup of loving bliss in your hands. That moment when the sun first hits you and your testicles start defrosting - when you're walking around and for just a minute, everything is quiet and the desert is asleep - it's like hearing a guy's heart skip a beat, if only hearts beat to loving dubstep. It's just this giant pregnant pause and just when you feel like it's been just a bit too long that next beat of bass hits you and the playa comes back to life. loving awesome.

Of course, the rest of it is just acid and dirty hippies that smell like a fermented mix of sweat, weed, and sex with patchouli poured on top, all covered in fire and lasers and underneath it all the dust that's not just a smell but a taste, a feeling, something you never forget.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
pretty sure brian cranston did the best burning man art installation years ago.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are you a rich techie

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
Burning Man is the Silicon Valley's Bohemian Grove. They burn a homeless guy. Dark and dastardly plans are made in the VIP tents

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

SirEvelynTremble posted:

Burning Man is the Silicon Valley's Bohemian Grove. They burn a homeless guy. Dark and dastardly plans are made in the VIP tents

Nixon had a few things to say about the Bohemian Grove;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL6cxGg6yas&t=27s

Richard Nixon is edgy-GBS as gently caress.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

burning man must be pretty cool if you have time to post here

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rapman the Cook posted:

Congrats on doing something thats been dead and old for loving years now, OP.
a bit like a redditor showing up at goonmeet 2014

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

quakster posted:

a bit like a redditor showing up at goonmeet 2014

Burning man smells worse and has more socially stunted awkward guys than any goonmeet ever did.

The only difference is that they've seen naked people.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Read a story the other day where elon musk or Jeff bezos or someone was saying that Mike Judge (who has a new series satirizing silicon valley) didn't 'get' Silicon Valley because he had never been to burning man.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Stomp on my gay baby balls

Rashaverak
May 13, 2001

The literal and figurative essence of burning man:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
I am literally sitting on my bed right now, procrastinating the overwhelming amount of work I have to do.

Also, thread is pointless without cool pics.
Edit: Pic in previous post doesn't count as a cool pic.

• Locked thread