Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Annually in Nevada, NA, there is arguably the biggest art and music festival in the world.
Things like Bonnaroo or Coachella or massives in the UK might have more ticket sales but there the focus is on commercially successful music with very little art.

I've been in '08, 2010 and '12 and I'm basically at my camp again now, earlier than the general pop. because my friends and I are dedicated installation artists and we get to go early to set our art up in comfort.

This thread is I guess mostly for goons who want to make fun of this colossal waste of space, time and money, but if any other goons have done it maybe you could talk about your experiences. If you have real or fake questions feel free too, I think most people make up there minds about it and dismiss it as something just about getting wasted and I enjoy helping people to get a better idea as to why 60,000 people would schlep their poo poo to an inhospitable wasteland for a week.

Hippies get sanctimonious and a lot of Burners entertain the delusion that they are elevated or superior to the muggle world that doesn't go to stuff like this. gently caress those people.

I entertain no delusions about the event and don't need to defend it so if you have an hilarious joke about high, naked people wandering around in the desert "because it's important!" then rock on. I'm just goon who lives partying and building weird stuff, and if someone wants to make it happen in a desert or a jungle or a mountain, then I'm down. I still feel a little silly about it.

But I'll feel less silly in 2 hours when my air-conditioned hexayurt is blasting hip hop and fulminating.

So goons, what do you have to say about Burning Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
i am literally burning a man right now please discuss

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
bourgeoisie

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

guess i've literally entertained the delusion of jacking it to mad max

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its a bunch of people that paid a bunch of money to be in a loving desert and do silly poo poo/get high/get drunk for a week. which is fine in and of itself.

people start talking about "culture" or the "significance" of it are complete loving morons.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

jump in the fire and become one with the playa

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
hahahahaha look at this loving loser at burning man

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sodom and Gomorrah

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Have you ever seen sergey brin ride around naked on a big tricycle wearing a big cape? or does he generally stay in his airconditioned megacomplex and eat molly laced caviar with models and stuff.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Chinatown posted:

its a bunch of people that paid a bunch of money to be in a loving desert and do silly poo poo/get high/get drunk for a week. which is fine in and of itself.

people start talking about "culture" or the "significance" of it are complete loving morons.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
a while back I read a bunch of articles about how this ostensible counter-culture festival has its head so far up the rear end of google and the rest of the bay area/silicon valley rich techie culture, and actual outside-the-system folks can't afford to be there anymore

i guess what i'm saying is lol

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Even the original woodstock was intended to be a commercial venture. there's no golden age to get back to. Good luck hippies.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I don't care about Burning Man but I'd like to see your art.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

a while back I read a bunch of articles about how this ostensible counter-culture festival has its head so far up the rear end of google and the rest of the bay area/silicon valley rich techie culture, and actual outside-the-system folks can't afford to be there anymore

they should combine the collective powers of silicon valley to create an AI that can do the messy job of managing burning man year round so it'll pretty much be The Culture.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
how white is it.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
quit posting and have fun you dumb human being

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
650$ to park in a desert. Goddamn hippies are dumb. I need to cash in on this.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's funny when people who don't understand what this word means misuse it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Whirlwind Jones posted:

uh who the gently caress else can afford to drop thousands of dollars to go party in the desert for a week

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You'd think "Owner's of the means of production" would be a pretty simple concept, but no.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Whirlwind Jones posted:

taste my blade

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Whirlwind Jones posted:

if there's ever a correct usage of the word it's right now

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Rad Tad posted:

guess i've literally entertained the delusion of jacking it to mad max

you can be the master to my blaster

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Is this like the Wicker man? Are they going to burn you alive?

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
how many tent orgies with uglies have you participated in and have you gotten naked while holding a sign with an ironic phrase on it.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

PoPcornTG posted:

Is this like the Wicker man? Are they going to burn you alive?

wow its like u dont even watch nic cage movies god drat

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

is el pulpo mechanico there? also,

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

quit posting and have fun you dumb human being

cis white male
Jul 5, 2014

i'm a fag i'm a lesbian

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

shiksa posted:

if there's ever a correct usage of the word it's right now

Or ,you know, when it's actually the correct usage of the word like when describing board members of multinational conglomerates and not yuppies spending their disposable income.

Afro Doug
Aug 10, 2007

i'm literally at burning man right now

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

yeah you should go to the ask/tell thread about burning man and ask them about how AFFORDABLE it is and how it is totally not a thing for only rich white people lol

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
bm is probably stupid and gay but i would totes go if i was younger and less spergy and had more money good luck and have fun op

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

the colloquial usage of the sociological terms bourgeois and bourgeoise describe the social stereotypes of the Old Money and of the Nouveau riche, who is a politically timid conformist satisfied with a wealthy, consumerist style of life characterised by conspicuous consumption and the continual striving for prestige.

how is that not rich techies

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

i'd chip in to send a tumblrite to burning man as long as she agreed to get really mad at all these crackers in headdresses

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Bourgeoise sounds like a nice name for a weed strain.

naem
May 29, 2011

Pics or it didn't happen

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

how is that not rich techies

There is a significant portion of the English speaking population that so frequently misuse the word "literally" that they had to add a definition of it to include figuratively. That doesn't make everyone who says literally when they mean figuratively not a complete and total moron. Feel free to display that fact whenever you use the word wrong though,like a jude star so we know you are stupid.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

There is a significant portion of the English speaking population that so frequently misuse the word "literally" that they had to add a definition of it to include figuratively. That doesn't make everyone who says literally when they mean figuratively not a complete and total moron. Feel free to display that fact whenever you use the word wrong though,like a jude star so we know you are stupid.

it's almost like languages evolve and the meaning of words changes with time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

op your strange usage of 'literally' and 'basically' make you sound really loving dumb

• Locked thread