Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

it's almost like languages evolve and the meaning of words changes with time

Yeah, and It's almost like we can pick out the people who are too dumb to speak correctly with some sort of signifying tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
goons spergin out about words... the fire rises !!!

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004

Hobohemian posted:

There is a significant portion of the English speaking population that so frequently misuse the word "literally" that they had to add a definition of it to include figuratively. That doesn't make everyone who says literally when they mean figuratively not a complete and total moron. Feel free to display that fact whenever you use the word wrong though,like a jude star so we know you are stupid.

this but ironically

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah, and It's almost like we can pick out the people who are too dumb to speak correctly with some sort of signifying tell.

idk I used to think like this but some linguists told me I was being overly pedantic

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

i am literally shaking basically

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

lumpenbourgeoisie imo

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hobohemian posted:

yr literally being a sperglord right now

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
if you can use the word literally correctly then you can join the ranks of goon master wordsmiths.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

i literally could care less about words

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

its almost as if language changes over time

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Hobohemian posted:

You're a pedantic oval office and as interesting as a corpse in rigor mortis.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
no ones cares about goons' bourgeois language debates

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
occams razors

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
everyone with more money than me is bourgeois :colbert:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

so yeah burning man

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Neo Duckberg posted:

Sodom and Gomorrah

Syphilis and Gonorrhea

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

bunky posted:

so yeah burning man

youll see some titties but way more balls

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
i literally withdrew my katana from mine sheathe, licked mine lips, whilst readying mine etched bronzed blunderbuss in anticipation.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
burning man stinks
the layout makes an excellent target for
errant air force bombs

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shiksa posted:

youll see some titties but way more balls

is it worth it

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
turnin these bitches to salt

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

is it worth it

you like balls dontcha?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know I'm fagposting but my crew is passed out and my hands are sorta tied until sun up.

The truth is Burning Man is largely composed of super rich white people and no, it is not affordable. I don't make a lot of money but I make a lot of art and art grants cover the cost of getting there and sometimes even supplies.

Of the 4 times I made the trip 3 of them were on someone else's dime because I have a reputation for not complaining and never shirking my responsibilities no matter how hard I am partying. At 26 I'm definitely one of the youngest people here (aside from the minors with their families).

A component is that the further away you come from, the richer you usually are and the bigger your poo poo is. West coasters can do the drive in a day and so a ton of Cali/Portland peeps just show up to party, but I'm from the Philly/NYC area so my crew goes hog wild.

I'm phone (fag)posting so I cannot post pics of my art but I built a garden of 9 foot tall praying mantises that people were invited to paint, then is built one 25ft tall and 40 ft long (took 3 days). This year my art project is a climate controlled yurt full of body pillows and Halloween lights. It'll always be cool in there during the day and warm at night, and we have basically every amenity.
The big project my friends have that I skipped out on is converting an Air Force missle loader into a spaceship dj booth (ICARUS).

I've been in and through some sex domes, but the big pile of flesh thing isn't my scene, so I'm usually there to do what's called rangering. That is basically where you go to heated or weird situations (consent violations, overdoses, tripping out too hard) and you try to defuse it before the cops get involved. The last time I was in an orgy dome was to clear out some woman who was just grabbin' handfuls without asking. She was too spun out to be there so I put a blanket over her and took her to medical for a nap.

There are tons of other countries and ethnicities there, but because regional festivals in other countries are blowing up now, I am personally seeing fewer and fewer internationals and by extension, it is mostly white people, but I have camped with Palestinians and Ghanaians before, but that is just anecdotal.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Negative Entropy posted:

You're a pedantic oval office and as interesting as a corpse in rigor mortis.

Do you even know what rigor mortis is ? Please explain it to us and don't c/p from Wikipedia.Did you hear about it on some episode of CSI?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
linguistic eugenics, much like eugenics in general, are insanely good

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Hobohemian posted:

Do you even know what rigor mortis is ? Please explain it to us and don't c/p from Wikipedia.Did you hear about it on some episode of CSI?

meltdown imminent

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Hobohemian posted:

its when yr dick gets real hard just to prove to everyone that even in death yr a real man

colloquially, an "angel boner"

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

shut up about words you loving dorks i want to hear about the sex domes

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
rigor mortis is when your johnson getz hard.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

bunky posted:

shut up about words you loving dorks i want to hear about the sex domes
sex domes sounds like something from logan's run.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is rigor mortis what happens to flesh after blood circulation stops? did i win anything? #ebolaatburningman

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
what is a sex dome and how do i make one

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Not from Wikipedia

Rigor Mortis is a thrash/speed metal band that formed in 1983 in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas metroplex. Two schoolmates Harden Harrison (drums) and Casey Orr (bass) formed the band when they met Mike Scaccia (guitar). The three young men shared an interest in horror/gore films and very heavy music. With Bruce Corbitt on vocals they created some of the heaviest thrash metal at the time often flirting with death metal. They were also one of the only major thrash bands from Texas and virtually created the underground metal scene there. The band was signed by Capitol Records in 1987.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Not from Wikipedia

Rigor Mortis is a thrash/speed metal band that formed in 1983 in the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas metroplex. Two schoolmates Harden Harrison (drums) and Casey Orr (bass) formed the band when they met Mike Scaccia (guitar). The three young men shared an interest in horror/gore films and very heavy music. With Bruce Corbitt on vocals they created some of the heaviest thrash metal at the time often flirting with death metal. They were also one of the only major thrash bands from Texas and virtually created the underground metal scene there. The band was signed by Capitol Records in 1987.

American Hardcore: A Tribal History?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean it's funny that you guys are hung up on my language choices, but I am LITERALLY (oh definition) here, so that is ok, and while I am not literally at my camp I am close by so I am basically there. You can continue to be trifllin' morons about tho, knock yourself out... Literally, please go hit yourself until you wake up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the other day my 3g was making GBS threads itself and I couldnt stream music because I was near the interstate at rush hour so I switched to national public radio and there was a story about parents who take their kids to burning man and they interviewed like a dentist or something and he was like "burning man is kid safe" but then they interviewed people talking about all the naked grown men drunk and on drugs and a doctor who worked at burning man and treated a bunch of accidental alcohol/drug ingestion by kids over the years but you be the judge

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

gggiiimmmppp posted:

the other day my 3g was making GBS threads itself and I couldnt stream music because I was near the interstate at rush hour so I switched to national public radio and there was a story about parents who take their kids to burning man and they interviewed like a dentist or something and he was like "burning man is kid safe" but then they interviewed people talking about all the naked grown men drunk and on drugs and a doctor who worked at burning man and treated a bunch of accidental alcohol/drug ingestion by kids over the years but you be the judge

rich white people are doin it so it's a safe environment.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
I wanna go

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
the fact you're even on my CYBERSPACE pisses me off

go join a sex dome you dolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007