Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh you can actually select your player character in this one? Interesting. Is the gameplay otherwise the same for both of them, just different character interactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Atelier Iris also had male/female protagonist pairs. But yeah, they weren't really Atelier games in and of themselves.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So is this game going to be dealing with the fallout of killing Yggrdrasil? Or was that a self-contained incident?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh wow even Nio's here? I didn't expect that. I'm surprised she didn't bring up Ayesha since our two protagonists are alchemists.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh come one Willbell! You were blowing stuff up just fine in the last game! You're supposed to be a master witch now!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

FrantzX posted:

Your tax gold at work.

I think you mean Cole, mister :colbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Well, since Escha is eating them in battle we can categorize them as part of our equipment expenditures.

Sugar is life, chocolate is hometown.

I do like the new animations they made for those. Before they just made potion noises and bam +20 HP recovered.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thria is cooler than the cowboy anyway. I wonder if she wear her jacket like that when she fights enemies?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hah, I love how Wilbell slumps onto her broom in her level-up pose :allears:

And what is Katla's weapon? A rifle in a cane?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Ar Nosurge seems to alternate cool and :japan: elements pretty strongly.

Oh, so its just like the other Ar Tonelico games? :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And now we're suddenly in Wild ARMs verse.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Escha's tail looks so weird and out of place. And that CG had a really poor angle, you couldn't even see what the characters were reacting to.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Post a few more battle if you can. I wanna get more of a feel for the way the battle system works.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

wdarkk posted:

Judging by Ar Nosurge, it's become their go-to setting.

They do a decent job with it, at least as far as Atelier goes. There's always some looming threat, but it's way off in the distance. Synth, kill monsters and have fun in the mean time.
It's a nice change from the usual misery that comes with post-apocalyptic settings.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Raitzeno posted:

Logy was distraught about getting caught shirtless... but he was wearing a shirt? I didn't see any burn marks in that picture, either. Did we get a censored version of a shirtless dude for some reason?

The burn is the giant brown thing on his elbow.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ayesha had very little in the way of fanservice too, compared to other Gust games.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It'd be interesting to see how they changed Linca's animations. I really don't know they'll top the sparking BFS though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey, Threia's analyze is Vayne's first ability from Mana Khemia. I always liked that skill. Analyze the enemy HP values and whack them a few times! It was a solid attack skill for the first dungeon or so.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love that every one of Mincie's flashy attacks missed in that fight. That's what you get for grandstanding.

Still loving Linca's animations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like the witch costume more too. Her default costume is kinda plain.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That's a weird boss music. What are those lyrics about anyway?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Do the support characters get as much development here as they get in Ayesha? Cause Threia's scene would be a lot funnier if they told us more about her first.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Logy does not look like he's having a good time in those cat ears.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I'd like it a lot more if it had some proper pants and a shirt. The colours are nice though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like this combat more than Ayesha's, but I think I liked Ayesha's characters more. I kind of liked the more serious approach to characters like Keithgriff and Juris, since they had their own missions and issues they needed resolved. This one doesn't feel the same.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aww. I was hoping Threia's final would have more of those cool mystic circle target reticule things. It's kind of unimpressive compared to something like Keithgriff's finishing strike.

This is the first Atelier game to have your Alchemists do a support special, isn't it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

That loving costume. C'mon Logy, you know you never go full anime.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh hey, that's Yggdrasil's old place, isn't it?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How rare are the Dunkelheits in Ygradrassil's old place? Like can you get one every time you go there or would reloading be required?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sounds like they're planning on swiping it, just not now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So the Bumblebee Princess is Ygrdrassil 2.0 :ohdear:
And apparently Ayesha beating Harry in his tournament was canon!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The bureaucracy in this place is really, really weird. There's like simultaneously too much pressure and none at all.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While the CGIs up to this point were pretty unimpressive, that animation was pretty nice.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah, do the townspeople acknowledge that you killed those dragons, or are battle spoils supposed to be their own rewards?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Escha commenting on her mom's ending was great too :3:

I noticed the alchemist's personal skills are pretty powerful this time around. Usually they're afterthoughts since they're supposed to use alchemist items to destroy the enemy. Wonder what brought on that change?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like it when games give you an understanding of how insular your world view is. For us the world didn't look too bad off, but apparently it's in really, really big trouble.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wayne posted:

Oh, that reminds me-- any of the longer-term Atelier fans know if Hat Girl is a reference? She looks like an Atelier heroine, but I don't know if it's a specific callback or if it's just a character design gag.

Yeah she reminds me of Rorona from the Atelier Arland series.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Threia doesn't know that Nio's sister is with Keith, does she? I kind of wish Awin's scenes were in the previous game, as it put Keith's actions into perspective.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That boss looked like an utter bastard. So many goddamn time card effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

She honestly did not look easy. You have an auto item that has a time card effect and a revive property and she still KO'd two of your dudes. And yeah holy loving time cards batman. I think you had like three on you at the end of the fight. I guess that you could beat her easily if you used both New Game + stuff, but that would have been an anti-climax.

I sorta like Maria more than this theme, though I admit both themes fit their bosses really well.

• Locked thread