Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Samael posted:

There's also a quest called "Stroking the Haft"

It is an amazing quest. The actual best quest.

The journal entry for the quest is the best, too. If we hit that quest, show off the entry, it's one of the best the game has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

Thanks for the entertaining thread CrashScreen. I gave the trial version a shot and nearly hit level 20. Though I spent a lot of my time catching and grilling fish, to be fair. :yum:

I wonder though, now that my trial time has expired, is it possible to use another player's invite and retain my character still? 20% XP bonus and an Aetheryte Pendulum doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If you haven't paid for time yet (and with the trial, you haven't), yes, you can use a player recruitment code. You can even buy the game and play for that trial period and use a player recruitment code. Until you've actually paid for game time (and not the game itself), you can use a player recruitment code.

You should still be able to use your existing character. All you'd do is activate the game with the Square Enix account you created for the free trial.

However, there is a limited time that trial characters exist, so if you wait too long (I think it's 90 days?) your trial character will be deleted. As long as you buy the game and activate it on your account before then, your trial character should be safe.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
One of my friends was still in his trial when I sent him the code, and yes, it was still attached to his *account*, because it was the same email he used when he made his account. He kept his character and got the extra fun stuff as well.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sessile posted:

Thanks for the entertaining thread CrashScreen. I gave the trial version a shot and nearly hit level 20. Though I spent a lot of my time catching and grilling fish, to be fair. :yum:

I wonder though, now that my trial time has expired, is it possible to use another player's invite and retain my character still? 20% XP bonus and an Aetheryte Pendulum doesn't seem like a bad deal.

If you'd like, and don't have one already, PM me your email address and I'll get a code fired your way for whenever you might want to continue.

Also, fishing is like the most relaxing thing. It's really nice. It's funny how much time it can kill.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The best way to level fishing is with a netflix account and an intoxicating substance of your choice.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
And be thankful for the 'release' action.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

D'awww, you guys are too nice. I have a pretty low MMO tolerance but FFXIV: ARR seems to pass it. The only way I can manage is by doing everything intoxicated, from baking to instances. I consider myself a functional inebriated gamer.

Given it's my first time through I wonder about the game's replayability. Not sure if it's worth discussing in the thread yet given we've yet to clear all of the tutorial material. (and even then it seems there's always a new mechanic for them to give you tutorials for)

Edit: I do seem to have intermittent connection issues with the game. I'm uncertain if it's my provider causing latency, or packetloss locally from my WiFi. Is there a way to view my network traffic in-game? I've seen some other MMOs provide this. If people have better methods on tracking down traffic bottlenecks for online games I'm all ears.

Sessile fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 24, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sessile posted:

D'awww, you guys are too nice. I have a pretty low MMO tolerance but FFXIV: ARR seems to pass it. The only way I can manage is by doing everything intoxicated, from baking to instances. I consider myself a functional inebriated gamer.

Given it's my first time through I wonder about the game's replayability. Not sure if it's worth discussing in the thread yet given we've yet to clear all of the tutorial material. (and even then it seems there's always a new mechanic for them to give you tutorials for)

Edit: I do seem to have intermittent connection issues with the game. I'm uncertain if it's my provider causing latency, or packetloss locally from my WiFi. Is there a way to view my network traffic in-game? I've seen some other MMOs provide this. If people have better methods on tracking down traffic bottlenecks for online games I'm all ears.

I THINK that if you hover over the little connection icon in the top right, near the clock, it has some connection data, and I remember one of the settings having more to that effect, when I can log in later I can check if you'd like.

Also, as far as replayability goes, I have 356 hours on the game and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface, there's a LOT of stuff to do, both at level 50, and when it comes to levelling.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010
One of my favorite things about this game is how nice the equipment looks. I've heard people call it Catgirl Cosplay Simulator and it's pretty true for some people (including myself). I'd share some screenshots but most of the stuff I got is pretty high level and I don't want to post anything that's too far ahead of the LP.

I do have a funny image of something you can find in the options menu though

:v:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Serperoth posted:

I THINK that if you hover over the little connection icon in the top right, near the clock, it has some connection data, and I remember one of the settings having more to that effect, when I can log in later I can check if you'd like.

The connection information the tooltip shows is hilariously useless: it's a count of bytes sent and received. No latency information, no packet loss information, nothing that tells you about the quality of the connection.

If you're aware of a setting to give more information, please let me know, because I'm not aware of any such setting.

So, to answer Sessile: no, I'm not aware of anything in-game that would help you debug connection issues.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Derpes posted:

One of my favorite things about this game is how nice the equipment looks. I've heard people call it Catgirl Cosplay Simulator and it's pretty true for some people (including myself). I'd share some screenshots but most of the stuff I got is pretty high level and I don't want to post anything that's too far ahead of the LP.

This is my favorite little hidden joke in the game. Most people aren't aware it even exists. And there's an example for all of them, like the one for emotes is "Cloud Strife wallows in self-pity..."

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

My favorites are the system messages for things like leveling up or defeating a monster.

"You attain level 51!
Cloud Strife attains level 2!

You defeat the Shadow Lord.
Cloud Strife defeats the little ladybug."

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter 7: Where we take a crystal and have a bad trip
I finished the second class quest in the last update, which rewarded me with the first piece of tanking equipment. It's also the real start of the Gladiator storyline; however, I wont be able to continue with the gladiators' guild quests until I hit level 10. The quests for your class is unlocked every five levels. Fortunately, this isn't quite a dead end, as I can now do the next main scenario quest.

Back at the Adventurers' Guild is Momodi with our next quest.

The quest itself is unlocked at level 4. Simply doing a small number of quests in Ul'dah will be enough to get you there smoothly.

Not all main scenario quests will have actual cutscenes. The quest menus that have an image on them will usually have a cutscene, though.

"If so, mayhap it's time you ventured beyond the city walls. The bustlin' streets of Ul'dah are one thing, but the wilds of Thanalan-that's another altogether. I know a bloke you might fancy speakin' to, and he you. Name of Papashan. You'll find him over at the Ul'dah Dispatch Yard. No doubt he'll have some work for you."

Momodi will also give us directions and warn us of the dangerous wasps and vermin that lurk outside the city walls. It's nothing we can't handle, though.

The Dispatch Yard is located near the Gate of Nald. It's basically where those railroad tracks in the distance go, towards the right.

It also happens to be right next to the Royal Plantation. Talking to Papashan will clear the quest.

"I am Papashan, stationmaster of this humble Dispatch Yard. An empty title, I assure you. I truly am no more than a tired old Lalafell passing his final years in quiet and solitude. Twelve know there have been plenty of both these last five years since the Calamity struck. The devastation...was vast. Yet now true Ul'dahns work together, doing all in our power to rebuild what was laid to ruin. By the sweat of our brows and the love of our home, we have rebuilt Ul'dah to the grandeur and majesty that you see today."

The dispatch yard and plantation were actually never in 1.0. These are new facilities established by the Sultanate after the Calamity, both in an effort to rebuild what was lost.

"But there is still much work to be done. The wounds left by the Calamity run deep. Isolated areas beyond our lines of supply remain, and there are places yet wanting for relief and restoration. Which brings me to the point, I suppose. I do believe I may have some work suited to one of your ability."

This completes the quest. At level five, we'll be able to continue and will you look at that, we're level five.

Papashan's task is simple. There are sentries littered about the dispatch yard, and they've not been back in the city for a while. To help comfort them, Papashan wants us to hand them all over twilight pretzels.

Up on the cliff overseeing the dispatch yard fron the north is one of the sentries, but there's something strange about them...

This Roegadyn belongs to the Sultansworn, an elite guard for the Sultanate, normally found in the upper levels of the Steps of Thal known as Hustings Strip. Furthermore, they only accept nobility or individuals with a generally high social standing. It seems strange for them to be seen outside of the city, and even stranger that they'd be on a simple guard duty that would be given to members of the Brass Blades.

Handing the Sultansworn the pretzel will see him thank you.

Interestingly, the remaining tow sentries are also Sultansworn. Clearly, there must be more going on here than meets the eye. After handing over the pretzels, I return to Papashan.

"What? Nothing? Are you sure? I...oh, oh dear. Take this for your troubles, then. And stay for a moment, there is more I would ask of you."

That exchange will complete the quest and then prompt the next one.

"...Which is the real reason I sent you to meet those Sultansworn."

Oh, hey, will you look at that. There's an image in this quest window. That means...

Well, I guess that makes a little more sense now. While the Sultansworn are a clue for players who had come from 1.0, this reveal wasn't quite so obvious to those less clued in. By this point, we've not met the Sultansworn, but even the quests that take you to the Hustings Strip prior to this quest line don't really introduce them. There'll be plenty more of this, as the storyline is pretty much entirely a continuation of 1.0, despite the five year gap or the relaunch.

"I apologize for not being frank with you from the start, but we must proceed with caution-should word of her disappearance spread, I fear others with less honorable motives may join the hunt. And should we allow her to come to any harm, not even a hundred beheadings would be punishment enough..."

Ten points to who can guess the missing noble is first.

"I need you to help me find her!"

The protagonist of XIV is a silent one, so you can expect his or her responses to simply just be nods for the entire game. There are moments where your character will explain things, but the characters you're having an exchange with might as well be mind readers because there's no dialogue for it. Also, if you can't tell, Crash is nodding here. It's difficult to nod while directly staring at a Lalafell though.

"The young noblewoman's name is Lady Lilira. I want you to go south and look for her in the vicinity of the Sultantree. Good luck!"

Before I continue, I pop by Scorpion's Crossing to complete my armour set. This Hempen Sarouel costs me 108 gil, but boosts my Strength and defence like all the previous gear upgrades. I also finally remember that I have a new sword from the last update and I equip that too.

:siren:Video: Alas, some voidsent:siren:
Back in central Thanalan, I find Lady Lilira below the Sultantree-the biggest tree in the area and located directly across from the Gate of Thal. I forgot to run Fraps before I initiated the cutscene, but talking to her is what causes the cutscene to trigger anyway. The cutscene leads to the first boss battle of the game.

The "handsome stranger" will immediately go for the Blanga, and I follow. No matter how much I strike, I won't steal the creature's attention from our ally, who will speak all throughout the fight. I also barely hurt it, dealing 18 damage, which barely reduces the health bar by a visible amount. Instead, our ally will be the main damage dealer here, hitting for 156 damage.

In 1.0 fashion, he'll be doing the majority of the fighting. Because you could start 1.0 as a Disciple of Hand (Crafter) or Disciple of Land (Gatherer), of which neither had combat options, the original battles before Yoshida took over as Director were easy enough so that the player wouldn't have to participate. You could stand by and watch it unfold.

To make the game more exciting, A Realm Reborn doesn't give you the option to start as the crafting or gathering classes, and the main scenario requires the player to participate as a Disciple of War or Magic. Once the Blanga drops to about 75% HP, two Lesser Blangas will spawn, and this is when the player must really take action.

Because it's still the first real fight in the game, it's pretty easy. The Lesser Blangas have very little health, and about three or four attacks is enough for me to kill one.

Once the fodder is dispatched, it's back to the boss. Again, we don't really make much of a difference here, but it helps it go by a little quicker. The Handsome Stranger's Savage Blade deals about 300 damage. We're pitiful by comparison.

When the Blanga has about a third of its HP left, two more Lesser Blangas are spawn. I beat them up for a while, but two more spawn just before I finish off the last Lesser Blanga. It's not really that dangerous though, and they're very easily taken care of.

The boss is killed off straight after, with or without my input. He had about 5% HP left when I got back to him, if even that.

:siren: Video: A bad crystal trip :siren:
Defeating the boss results in another cutscene. There's something that I really want to elaborate on here, but I'll bring that up towards the end of the update. I also need to apologise for the /tell received sound playing in the middle. I'm an idiot and I keep forgetting to put myself on busy status. Anyway, our objective and her ally leaves after our weird aether trip, leaving us alone under the Sultantree.

With our task complete, and the noblewoman discovered safe and sound, it's time to go give Papashan the good news.

Oh, well it seems he must already know. At any rate, it's time to collect our well earned reward.

"You do realize what would happen if a person of your noble stature were to be injured-or worse? Why, Her Majesty the sultana would be beside herself with grief-and so would her subjects! I daresay they'd be weeping in the streets!"

"It is not my place to make demands, m-my lady, but I beg you, please stay out of harm's way."

I smell a quest brewing for in the near future.

Lilira and her maid both take a bow before leaving with the Sultansworn.

There really is something about that Sultansworn, but I just can't place my fingers on what it is.

With the group now gone, Papashan finally turns his attention towards us.

"I understand you fought bravely to protect Lady Lilira from voidsent fiends. For your gallant service, you deserve all the riches in the royal vaults. Alas, a small token of my gratitude is the best I can offer."

Can you guess who she is yet?

"I see you met Thancred. He's a scholar who spends his days investigating oddities in the aether. Rather too fond of the sound of his own voice for my liking, but perfectly harmless. As for you, Crash-you're just the sort of adventurer we need around here. I pray you show the same kindness to the people of Thanalan as you did to us today."

And that's us finished with that little story arc. I even level up after it. With that, the next main scenario quest is a level 6 quest. Some players may need to go do a couple of quests to reach the level. I omitted a number of quests in Ul'dah. Each landmark is visited in a quest, so there's plenty there. If you've done them all, the next step is to visit Scorpion Crossing. We'll get to that next time, though.

Bonus:

During our dream, we saw this meteor shower. It just so happens that this is the same meteor shower that is shown above the cityscape for characters who begin the story in 1.0, too. It's a very pivotal moment in the storyline in both A Realm Reborn and 1.0. It'll be a little while before we see the effect of it, but this event is also relevant for the legacy players whose characters may not necessarily be considered the Warriors of Light by the first definition I gave back when Momodi introduced them.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry, that took longer than I'd hoped. It's been a busy week for my country, and for myself as well. The next update might take longer than a week too, but I'll hopefully be able to get on top of it before then anyway.

Derpes posted:

They're pretty great. I do like how they just make a mockery of Cloud in all of the examples, and even uses "/yell Aeriiiith!" as an example.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
So you managed to get me to pick up a copy of this. Considering the fact that I've never even considered playing a game with a subscription model, and I haven't touched an MMO since playing Runescape as a small child I'd say that's pretty impressive!

Great LP so far, it should go without saying. :cheers:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That Thancred guy gets on my nerves. The quest giver was entirely right, at least from the first impression he does like the sound of his voice too much.

And hey, gold sellers. Every MMO is the same.

So, is that lady the sultana's daughter or something?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Torrannor posted:

So, is that lady the sultana's daughter or something?

Or something.

One of the things that really impressed me in this game was that the vast majority of outfits - regardless of class - actively avoid being stripperiffic. Of course, if that's what you want there's plenty of options, but if you want your character to be dressed sensibly (IE, wearing armor if you're in melee a lot) then the default equipment visuals will do you just fine.

I have a couple of specific exceptions to that, but I'll save those - plus in at least one case, a viable explanation for it - for when the LP gets there.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, you can change the appearance your armor is, and my best friend makes a mint off of selling sailor suits for cat girls, but I can actually look super awesome in my plate, and since I run my game with PS3 graphics, I don't have to worry about creepy boob physics, so I'm happy with the outcome they made.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

kaosdrachen posted:

One of the things that really impressed me in this game was that the vast majority of outfits - regardless of class - actively avoid being stripperiffic.

The other great thing is that, generally, if a piece of equipment is stripperiffic on female characters, it will also be as revealing on male characters. There are a couple of exceptions, of course, but those will come up much later.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I just want to say that I've not forgotten about this. Things have gotten busier since my short trip since I'm working on live support, but I'll have an update ready in the next couple of days. It's a bit dry at the moment, so I'm looking to work on it a bit more before I post it.

I've got some time off this week, so I'll probably use a bit of that to get out a second post so we can get to the next big event in the storyline.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Glad that the LP is not dead.

At what level does party based content become important?

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Glad that the LP is not dead.

At what level does party based content become important?

The story brings you into your first dungeon around level 15.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter 8: A Fateful Detour
We're quickly building up our reputation in Ul'dah, having just protected a very important person and just meeting an important member of the Sultansworn. We've resolved that subplot for now, and it'll be a little while before it gets followed up. Only a little while, though. Unfortunately, the next quests are somewhat filler, so I've decided to return to Scorpion Crossing to see if there's any unfinished business. With that, we can get some better equipment and a good couple of levels to continue the story uninterrupted.

The crossing sees a lot of chocobo caravans pass through, either on their way to Ul'dah or for their long journey to the city-state of Gridania, which is much further east.

Some merchants even use this as the place to sell their wares.

There are a small handful of quests available. The most important one here is Oswell's.

While the reward isn't exciting, this quest is part of a questline that leads to a new subplot.

I actually did this quest prior to previous main scenario quest, so mind the small continuity error here. Vesper Bay is a small port settlement beyond Horizon, and it's where products are exported to, and imported from, the island of Vylbrand.

We've to find the missing East Aldenard Trading Company cargo crates. They're not very difficult to find; however, the map isn't very precise on their location. Instead of locating them for the player, the map displays a rough area in which the crates may be found. They're sparkly, so they're easy to find, but many players forget to consider the ambiguity of elevation. One of the crates is located in one of the towers. If it helps, the map can also be zoomed in and out using the + and - buttons next to it.

After that, returning to Oswell will complete the quest and another one will become available. It's worth doing the remaining quests for the exp as well. Guntram's quest, A Dab'll Do Ya, requires the player to hunt cactuars for their blood. Completing the quest reveals that he's lost his Radz-at-Han tonic and seeks to replace it with the similarly looking cactuar blood.

Imme's quest is more bizarre.

This poor chocobo had a parasite ladybug attached to itself, draining its health away. Even Imme, the Chocobokeep, was surprised at the giant parasite popping out from beneath the Slugger's feathers.

Either way, after completing Oswell's first quest you should be able to do his next quest.

"I'd like to send her something nice along with it. Could I trouble you to scrounge up, say, five hammer beak tailfeathers? Gods know you can find the beasts around here easy enough. Kikipu's a dear old friend. She's called the Silver Bazaar home for...well, for far too long. There's been ill rumors of the place of late. I'd just like to make sure she's well, is all."

This will be our first trip to the Silver Bazaar, which is located directly west of the crossing.

Along the way, I slay a few Hammer beaks. The quest requires that I slay five for their tailfeathers for Kikipu's gift. We've fought them before, so there's nothing really special to say. They're easy, even at the equivalent level.

There's also some interesting machinery as we get further from the crossing. Earth Sprites lurk around them, and they're also part of the Gladiator's hunting log.

There's a lot of workers surrounding these mystery machines, and they all generally seem like shady people. There seems to be a lord making an appearance. I wonder what they're doing here.

I run into some new content on the way to the Silver Bazaar, too. A FATE called Needles to Slay pops up on the path, and the game informs me that it's nearby. Just like any Square-Enix game, or more specifically any Final Fantasy name, the feature has a silly acronym for a name. FATE stands for Full Active Time Event, and it's basically just an open world quest that anyone can participate in.

There are multiple different types of FATEs, and I'll eventually show them all off over the course of this LP. The current FATE involves a large group of aggressive enemies spawning. The players participating must slay a certain number of enemies with the FATE tag you can see next to the Cactuar's name. The FATE fails if the timer runs out.

Players are immediately rewarded upon the FATE's completion. The reward is based on their contribution, regardless of whether the event fails or not. The reward can be in the form of a bronze, silver, or gold medal. I got the gold medal, which gives me a full reward of experience and gil. To get the full contribution in this type of FATE, at least six enemies had to have died while they were in my enemy list.

It's worth noting that the rewards from a FATE scale based on your level, up to the maximum of the level of the FATE. Since this was a level 5 FATE, I get the same rewards as a level 5 player, but players at level 4 will receive slightly less. Similarly levelled FATEs will also usually reward you with the same amount of exp and gil. Some FATEs are split into multiple parts, or are more difficult than they usually are at those levels. Both the final part and the more challenging FATEs will reward the player with a great bit more than they usually would.

Needles to Slay disappears, and probably won't appear for a while, so I return back to my journey to the Silver Bazaar. I pass by another couple of those machines along the way. Just beside the one closest to the Silver Bazaar is Adelard, who explains what they're for. Just east of here is another zone line into a location to the south known as The Goblet, which is also a residential area. We'll get to that later, but there seems to be a bit of this going on here.

"I hear they're having trouble securing some tracts, though. Whoever's job that is, I don't envy them."

I don't think this is going to come up again at all. Nope.

The small journey is wrought with obstacles along my way. Just at the gates of the Silver Bazaar is another type of FATE. Unfortunately, the objective has been met. This FATE requires players to hand in items obtained from either slaying the FATE monsters, or picking them up from the ground. The magic number for FATEs is 6, and I need to collect that many to get the full credit reward.

I would have skipped this and went straight into the settlement, but these kind of FATEs give you a full minute before it finishes after the objective is met. It's enough time to run about and grab enough earth sprite cores.

Of course, I reach the objective to deliver the items with as much time left on the clock as an action movie hero does when he diffuses a bomb. The exp reward is enough to level up Crash Screen, and I get a new ability and my first trait.

The new ability is Flash, and it's probably one of, if not the, most useful abilities a Gladiator will ever have. And it's almost entirely useless right now. Flash is the Gladiator's only area of effect ability for generating enmity, which makes it vital for crowd control when playing party content. It's clearly designed to be used between attacks as using it will not interrupt a combo. It's also the only spell Gladiators will learn, and relies on the more slowly regenerating MP gauge instead of TP.

Traits are passive abilities. Since I'm now level 8, I got the Enhanced Vitality trait, which increases my vitality attribute by 2. It's not as exciting as later traits, but it's nice all the same.

Finally, we reach The Silver Bazaar. Prior to The Calamity, it was bustling and home to many refugees from the city-state of Ala Mhigo who found work there, and was a rather profitable marketplace. It wasn't used for very often in 1.0, however.

The Silver Bazaar is no longer what it once was. There are ruins, and the central area building has been replaced.

Many of the shops that were set up after The Calamity are also now closing down. The small settlement clearly isn't doing too well, and I can't imagine that the nobles looking to flatten all the land nearby are happy with an eyesore such as this place nearby.

In the center is Kikipu, who we must hand in the letter and tailfeathers to.

"Hammer beak tailfeathers and a letter? Dear gods, it's from Oswell! Have you seen him? Is he well?"

"Dearest Kikipu, It's been too long since I wrote to you last. How have you fared since? As ever, I'm a slave to my trade, and sadly it hasn't seen fit to take me to or through the Silver Bazaar in some years. I've heard it told the scum of Ul'dah have set their sights on your Silver Bazaar. It seems beyond saving... Really, how long do you mean to linger in that horrid hovel? Remember-some birds just aren't meant to be caged. Spread your wings and soar once more, Kikipu!"

"Spread my wings and soar? By the gods... This... This is by far the most ridiculous letter I've ever read. And hammer beak tailfeathers? The dolt does realize he's sent the feathers of a flightless bird, doesn't he? Well, Oswell can go bugger himself! I've no intentions of stepping one ilm from this hovel, much less soaring from it. It's my hovel, and I love it!"

This chain of dialogue completes the quest and unlocks the next one.

Kikipu explains that workers from the hammers, those machines that are making the land flat, are loitering around the Bazaar and harassing the locals. She wants me to scare them off by doubting them with the /doubt emote. Easy enough.

The emote makes your character simply point at them. You can talk with them, but you'll need to select them and use the emote to progress the quest.

"You Silver Bazaar folk are annoying as all hells, I'll give you that. Bugger this job, I'm off to find some peace and quiet!"

This guy doesn't seem really threatening.

What's neat is that you can see fish swimming about at the port. There's also a ship that can ferry me to the other side of the water, but I won't have permission to use it until I'm level 12. The ferry is apparently under repair unless you're good with a sword.

There are four riled workers in all. If you look at the map, you'll notice that it doesn't tell you their precise location. You have to look around for them. As shown, one of them is located at the docks. Another two are located inside the building straight across from the entrance. These two are definitely more aggressive, but they're easily intimidated by my pointing.

The last one is located in some ruins, and is easily spotted because of the quest marker above his head.

"The hammers were built to pound the ground here into solid foundation. The plan is to turn these tracts into manors and manses for Thanalan's wealthy. The same fate awaits the Silver Bazaar. Since the value of the land is set to rise, small wonder some opportunist is trying to drive us all off so he can have it all to himself."

In a revelation that will shock no one, it seems that the residents of the Silver Bazaar are under pressure from rich folk looking to take their land. We may have chased away some thugs, but I doubt the problem would be solved so easily.

"The Silver Bazaar may not be what she used to. Aye, more people leave now than come, and aye, more shops close than open. But it's my home, and I don't mean to be chased off by some bloody gillionaire craven who sends common thugs to do his dirty work!"

With that introduction to the Silver Bazaar over, Kikipu no longer has quests available for us currently. I'll need to help out a little more before she'll have a task for me. There's two problems the locals of the Silver Bazaar face. First, they are being chased out of their land. Second, their Bazaar is dying and they are struggling to turn a profit. In the next update, I'll spend some time in the Silver Bazaar helping out the locals. It'll give me a significant upgrade that will fit in with the set obtained in the next main scenario quests, and hey, I'll also be able to stick it to the rich man too.

Bonus:

The Silver Bazaar actually has a nice view of Vylbrand, which you can see in the distance. Also, this is the /lookout emote. In 1.0, you used to be able to sail the ocean on a ship, and you could fish or get attacked on it. That's been removed in A Realm Reborn, though, and now it's just quick travel.

Delivery:

If you subscribe for 30 days at least once, you'll receive these Veteran Reward items through the mail. One of these is a vial of Fantasia, which we've seen previously. You can also purchase these items with real money. As a reminder, they allow you to redesign your character.

The other item is another minion: the Wind-up Cursor.

It's basically just the cursor for the menus in the PlayStation Final Fantasy games. Specifically, it's the Final Fantasy IX cursor, and it's also used in that game behind characters to help identify the player character in the scene.

Key Items:

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 23, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The most interesting thing about this game to me is how they incorporate the reboot into the lore.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love that cursor mini. When it moves up and down it's like it's selecting some invisible commands :allears:

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Well the new expansion was just announced for Spring of next year. Looks like your going to have more work to do Crash.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm pretty drat excited about it too, from what I've seen of it so far. It's a lot earlier than I was expecting too. I was hoping to try and finish the 2.0 storyline before it hit, so the thread could speculate as we progressed the update storylines. Still, that means I have plenty of time to enjoy it and plan out how I'll approach it, haha.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

CrashScreen posted:

I'm pretty drat excited about it too, from what I've seen of it so far. It's a lot earlier than I was expecting too. I was hoping to try and finish the 2.0 storyline before it hit, so the thread could speculate as we progressed the update storylines. Still, that means I have plenty of time to enjoy it and plan out how I'll approach it, haha.

I realized that by watching the live stream of it, I accidentally paid for some goofball Moogle costume.

Also, I don't know if this has been brought up before, but with so many time-consuming classes/jobs to handle for the LP, would it be out of the question to get fellow goons joining you in your escapades (for the LP, I mean) to screenshot their own different class storylines? I ask because I've thought about starting a new toon to help out; something I can take nice and slow. Of course, everything would go through you first.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If someone would like to LP their class' quests then I'm pretty okay with it. I'd like to also cover Conjurer, since I'll have to level it for a specific reason anyway. Beyond that, and so long as they avoid spoilers and progressing they're class passed where I am, I don't see any problem with it. What's the class you're thinking of anyway?

It's an MMO anyway, so that'd be kind of appropriate actually, haha.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How about starter quests for the other two cities? I'd love to help out.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

CrashScreen posted:

If someone would like to LP their class' quests then I'm pretty okay with it. I'd like to also cover Conjurer, since I'll have to level it for a specific reason anyway. Beyond that, and so long as they avoid spoilers and progressing they're class passed where I am, I don't see any problem with it. What's the class you're thinking of anyway?

It's an MMO anyway, so that'd be kind of appropriate actually, haha.

I've been meaning to message you about this but I would be more than willing to go through the Arcanist story.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Thaumaturge/Black Mage is my specialty, so I'll read up on your server and whatnot and look into it or else PM you in-game. It's also my favorite class story. Otherwise, if it's taken, I'm good for anything but Gladiator, which you're doing anyhow. I seem to just plain suck at that. As a heads-up though, with Patch 2.4 right around the corner, my time is gonna be very "limited" for a bit.

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 19, 2014

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I could probably handle Pugilist, but I'm more than willing to let someone else with more time tackle it if they want to.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Really enjoying all the effort and detail you go through to fill us in on the V1.0 stuff.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Materant posted:

I could probably handle Pugilist, but I'm more than willing to let someone else with more time tackle it if they want to.

Harmon the Holyfist is the best.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd be down for doing marauder or lancer stuff.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I'd be willing to do Marauder - it's the only class outside 2.4 that I haven't even started yet on my main - but I'm going to need to spend some quality time reading up on the LP technical details thread first. Then again, screenshot LP shouldn't be /too/ hard, right?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If you don't have too much time for it then don't worry too much about it. I originally planned to cover them all anyway, and the levelling process can be very quick in this game. There's more responses offering to help than I was expecting, which is pretty great, but we obviously can't have too many storylines running in the thread at the same time too. Also, I love Marauder and I'd be gearing up for it with Gladiator anyway, so I'm probably going to at least definitely do that myself too.

I think a good time to start stuff with other classes would be when the main scenario storyline converges with the other starting nations, but to keep the number of concurrent stuff going on, hmm.... Would it be a good idea to PM me the class you want to work with, and we can have a thread vote on the other classes people would like to see? I was planning on doing this just by myself, but if your class is the one voted and you still want to do it then that might be a good way to handle this. Let me know how you feel about that idea, and what you think about it.

Also, I was meaning to ask about something else anyway. Would everyone prefer I just screenshot the content in the videos, and just share the video links in the bonus section instead? I notice the numbers are inconsistent on the video views, but there's some important content in there. I was thinking of quickly updating the update before the last one so that people don't need to watch it.

EzEight posted:

Really enjoying all the effort and detail you go through to fill us in on the V1.0 stuff.

I'll be going a little more in depth with that soon, too. After the introductions are over, and past and new players are introduced to post-Calamity Eorzea, the story basically picks up where it left off in 1.0. I'm thinking of doing a couple of 1.0 dedicated updates every now and then, using a narrative gimmick that this game lends itself to.

e:

Fister Roboto posted:

How about starter quests for the other two cities? I'd love to help out.

I had a friend take footage for all the main scenario quests in Gridania, but I've still to collect the Limsa Lominsa quests. If you want to do anything with that then PM me about it, but that'd be pretty awesome too.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Normally, I'd say trying to do an LP of an MMO is a fool's errand, but FF14:ARR is a proper Final Fantasy game that just happens to be multiplayer and online. It's a solidly written, compelling RPG that just expects you to party up for various setpiece dungeons, although the cutscenes are all tweaked to make it look like you are the leader, and everyone else is just tagging along. As others have said, there's a strong central plot arc that will take you all the way up to max level, but what really sets the game apart for me is what happens after that.

FF14 is the first MMO to make me give a drat about 'endgame' content, mainly because it's not so much Endgame as Episodic.

As 2.0 was a direct continuation of 1.0's story, each major named update (we're coming up to 2.4: Dreams Of Ice now) adds a large chunk of content to the main story arc, as well as a couple of recurring side-stories, and it flows seamlessly from one chapter to the next. There are even a few plot threads started in the main story that weren't resolved until 2-3 major updates later. The current plotline is coming to a head, so I expect that we'll see a couple more big twists happen before the first expansion (the recently announced Heavensward) lands.

I suppose you could level the criticism that FF14 is a very linear MMO, but if linearity is the price of actually having an MMO world, story and characters that I care about, then so be it.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 19, 2014

• Locked thread