Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yesssss. I got suckered into this game a few months ago, and god drat did I love it. This game oozes more charm than anything else SE's released in the last ten years or so. This game does a ton of great things, and with a decent story to boot.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the LP unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Penguin Bacon posted:

I remember being passably interested in FFXIV before I found out the producer. He's the guy who thought bosses from FFXI and that stagnant endgame content was considered "good". Absolute Virtue who I think holds one of the longest unkillable monster streaks in MMO history and then Pandemonium Warden. 18 hrs for the first run and he still wasn't beaten.

If a producer can defend that type of content, I wasn't interested.

Still excited to see the new content but I think it was too late for me.

That guy (Tanaka) "resigned" after the whole 1.0 fiasco, so they got the guy who was improving FF11 in the meantime and had him spearhead 2.0, which worked well. There's some good design talk out there for those interested in that kind of stuff, where Yoshida talks about the struggles of adapting the old, inefficient game-development methods that have been plaguing SE through the years (like with FF13) and how, due largely to SE pretty much giving him free reign to fix things however he can, he was able to change their design processes to be much more efficient. My favorite tidbit was about a barrel in FF1.0 having more polygons than the player characters. Now the game is releasing content at a really rapid rate, with major patches every few months and at least two "small" (though still beefy with content) patches between them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

"Whoa! Settle down, little lady! So the whole traveling circus thing was a sham─ya got me there. But, cross my wings and hope to die, I swear we didn't mean ya no harm."

Fun fact, the dialogue here is tweaked a little depending on your nation. Instead of "sham", for example, it's "ruse" in Gridania. A lot of work has went into this localisation, and it's rather interesting that there's even minute differences like that depending on the region.

Holy crap, that is cool.

Also, I just resubbed, so there goes the rest of my free time.

• Locked thread